Start by marking “Oculus (Oculus, #1)” as Want to Read:
Oculus (Oculus, #1)

Oculus

(Oculus #1)

Most people only believe in what they can see. Born without the most basic gift of sight, I rely on my other senses to guide me. Yet, what I believe in most is a phantom that resides in my dreams.

Under the blanket of twilight, I smell him. I feel him. I hear him. I taste him. But above all else, I see him.

And I want him.

I have no evidence that he’s real. But if he isn’t
ebook
Published (first published December 29th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Oculus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oculus

Tara
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I stomped my foot and held my breath until I received an ARC of this book and it was totally worth it! I was hooked from the very first page and my heart didn't stop racing until it was over. Sic and Iris are two of my new favorite characters and I cannot wait to see what happens next with them. A fast-paced, exciting and excellent story for dystopian fans.
Beth
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.25 Made for Each Other Stars

Peanut Butter and Jelly. Nuts and Bolts. Cookies and Milk. Things that are made for each other. But what if rum never met Coke? Would each feel incomplete? Would Sugar dream of Spice knowing that a part of itself was missing? And when they did met, would Orange Juice recognize Vodka as its soulmate?

Iris was born blind. In a world where the only bargaining chip you have is your time. Time to give to the Corps. Working for the man. But when you are blind. You have ver
Christine (Shh Moms Reading)
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Their first collaboration and I was hooked
I took a #sicday this Christmas and really enjoyed this first book by Mac and Pace. A world that will capture your attention from page 1. Vivid descriptions, captivating characters and a story that is unique and different I look forward into reading more of this series...the ending...just WOW!
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
all the secrets and lies!!

I'm not normally a post apocalyptical reader but, hot damn, this was a good book! I love all of the deception and lies. The way that you can't trust anyone....

well, I just love it all!
A little birdie told me...
I'm finding that I love a good dystopian novel. I really wouldn't think I was a fan, but it seems that I really dig most of them that I read. Of course, I only read the ones recommended to me. I can imagine that there are some pretty crappy ones out there.

Luckily, Oculus is far from crappy. It tangles a futuristic dystopian world with a sweet romance to make an overall enjoyable read.

I would have loved to give this five stars, but a couple of things prevented me from the higher rating. Firstly
Anima
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Having read books by Pace and Mac before I expected a great read. As their first time working together I think they nailed it! I was sucked in quickly and read it almost entirely in one very lazy day.

Gripping and entertaining dystopian adventure. The Corps is the governing power requiring employees to work for "time" basically making them slaves. People of The Resistance live on their own without a government. At some point Sicarius, Sic, was created as a weapon. Iris, the blind girl, is finally
United Indie Book Blog
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I need more! Oculus blew me away, I was hooked from the beginning and feel so empty now that I have to wait for book 2. The characters are captivating, selfless, the story is descriptive and unique. It's written in duel POV so you are getting two sides of the same story and feeling double the emotion. Sic and Iris are the perfect match, they were designed to complement each other and they do. The storyline isn't like any dystopian books I have read and keeps you captive until the end when all yo ...more
Raychel Faulkner
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I need more! Oculus blew me away, I was hooked from the beginning and feel so empty now that I have to wait for book 2. The characters are captivating, selfless, the story is descriptive and unique. It's written in duel POV so you are getting two sides of the same story and feeling double the emotion. Sic and Iris are the perfect match, they were designed to complement each other and they do. The storyline isn't like any dystopian books I have read and keeps you captive until the end when al you ...more
Linda Cotter
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ok, so I finished this book about 9 hours ago and am just now getting my thoughts in line.
I am a fan of LG Pace's work, but had never read J.L. Mac's work. I will be looking more into her work.
Be ready. This book grabs you and brings you into this world...ours years from now. Reading about it, you can picture everything. The settlements and survivors on the outside.
And Sic and Iris?? They are the perfect match. Instantaneous by design, and selfless.
Again, be ready. You will become immersed into
Kara Pope
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure about this book at first, it's not the kind of books I read, but I always give a book a chance. I LOVED Oculus and the characters in it. It draws you in and you won't want to stop reading until you are finished. The ending was a little disappointing, however I feel like this story will go on! I don't think this is the last of Iris and Sic.
Michelle Pace
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Simultaneously eloquent and stark. Dystopian fans are sure to enjoy it. Can't wait for the next book in the series!
dreamerinexile
My life is over.
EscapeNBooks
Sep 01, 2015 rated it liked it
2.5 -3 stars
"So suffers all who prey upon the innocent.”

Oculus is a standalone, NA, Dystopian novel by Authors J. L. Mac and L. G. Pace III that I have looked forward to reading since the announcement of its soon-coming was made earlier this year.

Told in dual points of view, the story began with freshness, as the authors wrote from both Sic and Iris's point of view. They were distinctly different in how they expressed themselves; Sic being more straightforward, with an edge of reality and harshn
Erin
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a ride! I was completely sucked in from the beginning and totally felt immersed into this new world. The connection between the main characters was a beautiful thing to witness. The love, the selflessness...the chemistry!

This book will surely keep you intrigued and dying to know what's coming next! Especially with an ending like that! Holy hell!
I love J.L. Mac's books and hadn't read anything by L.G. Pace so I was looking forward this collaboration and reading a genre they don't typically
Erin Hurst
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! I do not read Dystopian very often but this one is fantastic! I am amazed at the creativity the authors have with this story line.
We get to follow Iris in the compound not knowing everything is about to change. She is dreaming about a boy that she feels she must know but does not remember him. This boy is Sic who is beyond the compounds walls trying to take down the leaders. Sic has also been dreaming about Iris and he has this pull to find her once he is in the compound. Go
Sarah  G
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am a fan of both of these authors and they did not disappoint!

Now, I'm not going to lie, I was really confused in some parts, but once the final edits are done, this is going to be an epic series. I can't wait for the next part of Iris and Sic's journey.
Tricia
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great story idea. Looking forward to the second in the series.
Liv
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
MY GOD! I loved this book! Can't wait to read the next one in this series!
Siva Prasad. H
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
It's a mindfuck one. I'll never recommend this to anyone. It's a nice book, the author convey everything clearly as he expected. But sometimes we'll feel am I drunk or something? It's great just for a change. And I liked the concept
Reading Wahine
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure how to feel...

But leaning towards pissed that it ended the way it did. Does this mean there will be another...it just seemed so open ended. Other than that, the writing was great and the premise was unique.
Brenna Joyce
Jan 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
It's wasn't too bad. Until the ending. Whoever said it was a stand alone HEA is a lying liar who lies through their lie hole. Ugh.
Witchy Richey's Booktastic Reviews
I love a great read that takes me out of "the box"..THIS is one of those reads.
Dystopian. A world rebuilt. A new world run by corruption and those that fight against it.

Riveting, edge of your seat. I loved Sic! He was made to be a monster but he is anything but. Lethal, strong, smart and human. "I may be a Talpa-made animal designed for violence, but at least I’m damn good at it." <-- I loved his "matter of fact" mind.

Iris is strong and confident, even in her disability.

In a world of chaos
Pia
Dec 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF @ 40%.
The story did not hold my interest.
J.L. Mac
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Skye
rated it it was ok
May 02, 2019
Amor
Jan 20, 2016
Indie author, J.L. Mac is the USA Today Bestselling Author of the Wrecked series, Seven Years of Bad Luck, Vital Sign and Oculus (co-written with LG Pace III). Beginning with her debut novel in January 2013, J.L. Mac has self-published seven novels and has collectively sold more than 100,000 e-books to date. J.L. Mac's upcoming Social Series is highly anticipated and is set to release late spring ...more

Oculus (3 books)