Start by marking “Songs of Our Breakup” as Want to Read:
Songs of Our Breakup

Songs of Our Breakup (Playlist #1)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  107 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Every breakup has its playlist.

How do you get over a seven-year relationship? 21-year-old Jill is trying to find out. But moving on is a harder job when Kim, her ex-boyfriend, is the lead guitarist of the band, and Jill is the vocalist. Every song they play together feels like slicing open a barely healed tattoo.

Jill’s best friend Miki says she will be out of this gloom so
Published August 22nd 2015

To ask other readers questions about Songs of Our Breakup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Songs of Our Breakup

Imogene Dacanay
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-reviewed
Check out my review on my blog!

** Thank you ms. Jay Tria for providing an e-copy of your book.**

What I loved most are the book's characters. I can't help but like all of them; their personalities, attitudes, how they handle things, everything. Seems like I can feel what they feel. Each has their own experiences that I can tell it happened to me too. Especially Miki, my love for him will stay here forever in my heart.

Songs of Our Breakup, oh god, this book is all emotions in one. It made me s
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
jill
You can listen to my Songs of Our Breakup playlist on Spotify. You can see the tracklist in Tumblr.

Do you like an understated romance between a celebrity and a musician? Do you like an ensemble of cast? Do you like music? sun and moon metaphors? Then you should give Playlist series a chance.

Songs of Our Break Up is my first book by Jay E. Tria. The story introduces Jill, the lead singer of indie band Trainmain. She’s currently icing the end of her seven-year relationship. Though, moving on i
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
After a long stretch of silence, she spoke to the empty, inky sky. "Miki says breakups have a 3-month probation period."

"What happens there?" Shinta murmured.

"You wait."

"For what?"

"For someone to change their mind."

"And if nobody does and the three months are over?"

"You move on. "

Shinta sidled in closer beside her. "Why bother waiting that long?"

She turned to him, his face mere inches away that her breath grazed the tip of his nose when she answered. "A question I ask myself every day."

So ther
C.P. Santi
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Note: I received a complimentary copy in return for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book in any way.

Fact. Breakups are harsh.

They’re even more so when you’re forced to work with the person who broke your heart on an almost daily basis. And that’s the situation that Jill, the protagonist finds herself in.

The narrative starts off a bit edgy—reflective of Jill’s state of mind as she braces herself to perform onstage with her ex, Kim. The music is an escape, and Jill tries t
leenahreads
"She had grown up with this boy, shared B-sides, long nights, test answers, pajamas, and shawarma with him, a collection of things and moments that changed them both...Jill still knew the face, but no longer the boy behind it."

I have so many things to say about this book. I loved it in more than one way, and for a book that's supposed to be lighthearted and romantic, it made me feel nostalgic and sad in so many ways. This book goes back and forth between Jill's past relationship with Kim, and
Silvana [The Book Voyagers]
I finally ended up reading Songs of Our Breakup! I am so happy I read it because I have heard nothing but greatness and yes in fact it's really FREAKING GREAT. Thank you Sue for always supporting me in my readings and always being there when I need to shout about feels.

What you will find inside this book:
- A girl who is in a band and writes songs and is heartbroken because her boyfriend ~ also another member of the band ~ broke up with her
- A Japanese actor, best friends with this same girl, wh
Mel González
"She had grown up with this boy, shared B-sides, long nights, test answers, pajamas, and shawarma with him, a collection of things and moments that changed them both. Jill still knew the face, but no longer the boy behind it."

This was incredibly adorable and wonderfully diverse. I was so happy to see so many interesting and complex but also lovely characters in this book that all had their virtues and flaws and that we got to know in this few pages. I adored that even though some of the deci
Tina
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As I mentioned in my Open Road Summer review, I like books with music and bands. So when Jay E. Tria's book, Songs for Our Breakup surfaced in my radar, I was curious although I was a bit hesitant with the Japanese-sounding characters because I'm not a huge fan of foreign lead interests in my Filipino romance novels. I think I was in line at a bank without a book when I decided to read this, and a few pages in the book, I was hooked.

Jill and Kim have been together for seven years, until their br
Miren B.
I was scared to read this book--I had heard lots of painful and wonderful things about it., hahaha! But I suppose a lot of things in life can be both painful and wonderful.

Like this book! I started reading it on a Friday morning while waiting for a colleague to get to the office. I finished it in under four hours, totally neglecting my work. (Let's just say my colleague wasn't happy when he arrived.)

I love that all the men in this book sound and act like different men I know in my life. (Well,
Kate (The Bookaholic Blurbs)
Full review over at The Bookaholic Blurbs!

DAMN, SOMEONE PICK UP THE PIECES OF MY SHATTERED HEART, PLEASE.

A story of moving on and living life one day at time, Songs of Our Breakup gives another level of meaning to forever. YOU NEED THIS BOOK YESTERDAY!!!!!
Bookbed
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
"The last time I was this much invested in bands is a vague memory so I find it amazing that Jay E. Tria’s Playlist series has managed to awaken the groupie in me. (I’m not sure if it’s healthy to be daydreaming of attending a Trainman gig at random, though.) Songs of Our Breakup and Songs to Get Over You are certified hits." Continue reading our review here.

Please note: We don't use ratings but for this purpose, we tag books with three stars by default.
Would like to be a reviewer/contributor to
Shealea
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ph-authors
Review to follow!

Actual rating: 4 stars
Anne
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review posted on Will Read for Feels
**I received this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

There’s something magical that happens when you chance upon a new author and the quality of their work just leaves you in awe—that pretty much sums up my feels after reading Jay Tria’s Songs of Our Breakup. And of course, with that title, there’s not much room for second guessing what the story’s all about.
Tara
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
(I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.)

Aside from wading through the complicated qualities of relationships, the theme that stood out to me in Songs of Our Breakup was acceptance. It somehow encourages you to accept changes and deal with it in the best manner possible without sacrificing who you are and what you believe in. Resign to the fact that love is fleeting, and that forever might not be in the books for you, but love anyway and love hard. Love for today and tom
Julia
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Songs of Our Breakup is unlike any other romance book I've read. It's not about falling in love—rather it's a story about falling out of it; the heartache of it all, but also the healing.

The characters were easy to connect with - I was surprised to be really heartbroken about Kim and Jill's relationship even though I knew they were hopeless from the beginning. I fell in love with both characters and the angst of their breakup really got to me, but I'm also incredibly happy with how their relatio

Liana Smith Bautista | Will Read for Feels
***This review was first posted on book blog Will Read for Feels.

I had early warnings this book was packed with feels, thanks to my friends’ incoherent excitement over it and also former co-blogger Anne Plaza’s glowing review, so expectations were high. I’ll admit, then, that I found myself in an editorial nitpicking session for perhaps the first half of Chapter 1. And then the hero, Shinta, came on scene, and it was like, howdy, hello, what? And thoughts of nitpicking fell away because from the
Samantha Louise Borbe
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Getting over the person who gave you so much to remember, that is Jill’s task now. To get-over Kim, her ex-boyfriend who broke her heart after a seven-year long relationship. How she will do it? She doesn’t know. For a fact, they’re on the same band and with the same circle of friends. She had to live in the reality that everything about their relationship is just a blurred memory now. Then enter the charming Japanese actor slash friend, Shinta Mori.

He was there when everything was falling apart
Natalie
So I finally met Trainman (after seeing their cameos in Feels Like Summer i was eager to know where it all began) and man i loved this book.

The story's told mostly from Jill's POV, with Shinta (squeal) and Miki (awww) getting a POV as well. It also incorporates flashbacks which worked so well in adding so much more depth to the current events. i love them. The author also included the bands songs in between and wow...I wish i knew the actual tunes for these songs so i could sing along. Not that
subhangsita das
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The beautiful author Jay E.Tria has written this beautiful book and as the name suggests it clearly defines and carries a story about a girl named Jill who is much awaited to overcome the emotions after her 7year relationship broke into pieces. And things took into turmoil because the love of her life named as kim was the lead guitarist in the same band where she performed as a vocalist. She always had to face him and situations were always awkard but much thanks to the other band members who to ...more
April ~ The Reading Belles
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: phauthors, ebook
*ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review*

If you're from the Philippines and have watched The Breakup Playlist, don't ever think for a second that this is the book version of the movie. It's not---in so many levels. But they have common ground, yes. Heartbreak and music.

Jay did great for thinking about writing a book like this since not much of it are around.

Songs of Our Breakup is about Jill and her ex-boyfriend who happened to be a jerk and a bandmate of their band, Trainman
Romance Novels in Color
Songs of Our Breakup, by Jay E. Tria, was an interesting read. We all know that emotions and music go hand in hand, but the way this author combined the two into a book was incredible. At first it was a little difficult to follow the story because of the format of the book. It was done by days, instead of chapters. It was almost as if you were reading Jill’s diary!

Jill and Kim are members of an indie band called Trainman, along with Son, Miki and Nino. Jill and Kim have been in a relationship fo
H. Bentham
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I didn't know what to expect when I started reading this. I just wanted a re-introduction to romance, after what felt like a long while since I enjoyed one, and now I am happy to say that I have made the right decision to choose this book.

Jill, the main girl, breaks-up with her long-time boyfriend and band-mate Kim. This frees her from the love of her life, the man of her dreams and the girl she thought she ought to be. While she tries to figure out how to get over all of it, her heart's recent
Ewa
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked it.
Jane
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: galleys
You don't really stop loving someone. It's just you're different now from the person you were yesterday. And you can't go back. Even if you can, why would you want to? - Yuki

I'm torn with giving this book three stars or four. It was a wonderful book, yes, but I encountered some dull moments.
Anyway, this book follows a twenty-one year old girl named Jill and her [love] life after her boyfriend, pardon that, ex-boyfriend, Kim, of seven years broke up with her. Moving on is especially harder for he
Bianca Mori
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved this!

First of, yes,it's a bit of wish fulfillment -- a girl who's just had her heart broken has the attentions of a gorgeous Japanese star (who is also her friend, okay!). But author Jay E. Tria writes with so much wit, warmth and honesty that I never felt outside of the story. It was believable from page 1, where we are plunged into that devastating period right after a breakup when the waterworks are over and you start picking up the pieces to move on - the "breakup probation period," as
C. Erani Kole
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
THIS WAS SO CUTE!

I loved how sweet and soft this romance was, yet maintained that ability to deal with the harsher realities like drinking, one's dark moments, and... sexy time. As a new adult novel, this story was great with Jill trying to figure out what to do when a seven-year relationship ends.

She's hurting and can't heal with having to see her ex all the time, but thankfully... help comes... in the form of Japanese actor, Shinta. I thought he pulled off adorable and sexy really well and I J
Jeremae
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I super enjoyed reading Songs of Our Breakup, mainly because of Ms. Jay's characters. They are those characters that you would really want to get to know.

They all feel real, and interesting, and maybe a little bit odd/crazy, and I like that. The group dynamics and friendship of Trainman is A++!

Mixed thoughts:
1. Jill is so lucky to be surrounded and loved by Shinta, Miki, Son, Nino, and Kim.
2. RAMDAM NA RAMDAM KO SI MIKI SA SLIPSTREAM HAHAHA! MIKI MUST BE PROTECTED AT ALL COST.
3. I maybe kind
Ines Bautista-yao
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Glad it's not over

The musical world of Jill and her bandmates, the angst of the breakup, the flashbacks, and all those pent-up emotions make this book such a powerful read! You're sucked into their lives and sent through a wringer of emotions. I wanted to hear the music, not just imagine it. But I loved that each song's lyrics are written out for you to read, appreciate, and conjure up in your brain.

The author's descriptions are beautiful and her characters are real. Jill, very clueless about
Agay Llanera
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love the angst, honesty and rawness of this book. I felt like I was watching a film--the characters' actions, dialogues, even the transitions in between scenes, played out clearly in my head. I can tell that the author put a lot of effort into it, even penning the lyrics of the songs mentioned in the chapters, but I read it effortlessly--which is a benchmark of a good book.

It made me reminisce about my 20s, when I was indie-band follower, and experiencing that elusive high because of a guitar
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Hi! I'm a writer of contemporary Young Adult and New Adult romance. These days I'm writing paranormal/fantasy too, and it's a fun exercise. I'm often inspired by daydreams, celebrity crushes, a childhood fascination of Japanese drama and manga, and an incessant itch to go places.

LATEST RELEASE:
You Out of Nowhere (Flair #1)

Also by Jay:

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
  • Wildfire In His Arms
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
“I don't know about forever, but I love you just the same.” 3 likes