Start by marking “Pivot: The Only Move That Matters is Your Next One” as Want to Read:
Pivot: The Only Move That Matters is Your Next One

Pivot: The Only Move That Matters is Your Next One

"Looking to make a career change? Pivot is a book you will turn to again and again." —Daniel Pink, author of To Sell is Human and Drive

Jenny Blake, author of Life After College and former career development program manager at Google, reveals how to methodically make your next career move by doubling down on what is already working.

This book is for anyone searching for an
Hardcover, First Edition, 272 pages
Published September 6th 2016 by Portfolio/Penguin Random House

Vassilena
Oct 10, 2016 rated it liked it
It was a nice enough read, but it got repetitive halfway through. I'd also liked to see some additional examples of other pivots, not just the "leaving a corporation and starting my own business" scenario.
ChaChanna Simpson
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book could NOT have come at a better time for me, as I am in the midst of yet another career adventure, now known as a pivot. I am a constant career explorer and was beginning to think there was something wrong with me because I continue to change directions. With Jenny’s assurance that this is the new normal, I no longer feel alone as I pilot new ideas before I fully launch. Jenny’s process on how to pivot in your career is thought out, thorough and actionable.

I found myself nodding, marki
Ryan
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Whether you're looking for a new job or not, Pivot provides a potent playbook packed with practical strategies and tactics to make impactful changes in your work life.

A few things I love about Jenny's book:
> As we move to a more project-based economy, the strategies within Pivot will be come even more relevant. (i.e. "Careers are no longer straightforward, linear, and predictable like ladders. They are now much more modular, customizable, and dynamic, like smartphones.)
> The strategies are
Melissa Anzman
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Pivot is such a great read for anyone looking to make a change in their career (or life!) or searching for how to make their current path even stronger. Jenny Blake knocks it out of the park with her second book, Pivot - sharing her framework for making small changes, or big ones, to change directions without having to start over.

My favorite part of this book was seeing her framework in action - with real life examples of people going through pivots in their own career. I'm a "see-it-to-believe
Amelia
Oct 21, 2017 added it
I picked this book up a couple of weeks ago because I saw that the author was doing a webinar for the RWA, or some RWA chapter. I knew I wouldn't be able to do the webinar, because the times of those things never seem convenient when they come around. Something always comes up.

Anyway, I thought I would look at the book instead. I diligently worked my way through the exercises in the first half of the book. There were some interesting insights, but the exercises mostly reworked the same ground I
Carlee
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Having followed Jenny Blake from her blog, to Life After College to the Pivot Podcast, I was eagerly awaiting the release of her newest book. I was already planning a pivot (not in those words), which made this book especially appealing to me so it could not have come sooner. Needless to say, I had high expectations.

I have to say that the book exceeded my expectations in every way. Having completed nearly all of the exercises throughout, I've put down the book feeling as though I've already tak
Ericka Clouther
I read this because it was the GW Alumni book club selection for this month. This book focuses on transitioning from a current job to a new more adventurous position, probably as your own boss. For people outside that particular paradigm (say you are currently unemployed) it doesn't apply as much. It also wasn't focused on brevity or very clearly demarcated points so I didn't find it as helpful as some other self-help-type books I've read.
Steve
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
It was pretty average to me. Jenny Blake describes the career pivot decision as four fundamental steps: 1. Plant, 2. Scan, 3. Pilot, and 4. Launch. While this may seem intuitive, there are still a lot of helpful advice in this book. I particularly benefitted from learning about the pilot step and I think this is perhaps the critical step since most people are risk-averse (we need to validate our idea before we go all in and risk everything). I would have liked more science or reference to studie ...more
Loretta
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
As non-fiction business type books go, this was a really good, practical, helpful read. While there are lots of little anecdote type stories, there are also exercises asking good questions to help you figure out what you want and how to get there. I will keep this one handy for future reference and would recommend it to anyone exploring work/career options.
Michael
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, business
This was a perfect book for me at this time in my life. I have been lucky enough to have a full time job thus far in my career, however I am never afraid to look for the next opportunity to grow. Unfortunately I am one that is very risk averse and probably wait far too long before making a change.
The change I'm guessing could be best for both myself and the company I'm sure.

At the end of the day, whether one is looking for a new job or not, Blake's book, Pivot shows/demonstrates possibilities
Caiti S
May 29, 2019 added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF at 37%. Lost interest. Basic business advice with a strangely cheesy vibe.
Tara Nichol
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The beginning of the book was read. Scan and Plan were very helpful in my journey. Then I got lost in the Pilot and Launch sections. Material was not new or unique enough and did not flow them the other chapters. Overall, I like the overall concept of the Pivot method.
Taylor Barkley
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Meh. Too detailed, too many self reflection practices to possibly do in a 24 hour, 5 day work week if you want to be an emotionally available and relatable human being. This could have been 50 pages and I would have gotten just as much out of it. It’s a possible tool if you’re interested in a new career or side thing.
Andleeb
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book & it’s helpful in how you should think about changing your career. To me the last chapter was the most helpful- as someone looking to make a career change &/or to mentor someone in their change.
Hannah Braime
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Change is an inevitable part of life, so how can we give ourselves the best chance of navigating big transitions as smoothly and constructively as possible? ‘Pivot’ explains how we can cultivate a mindset that will support us as we attempt to answer the big question “What’s next?”

This method is a 4-step framework that takes the start-up concept of pivoting and translates it into a set of actions we can use to face change head on. These steps are: Plant, Scan, Pilot, and Pivot. Jenny guides reade
Wes Martin
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book has plenty of good information and strategies for making career changes. However, it is just not the kind of book I enjoy reading, and it was a chore for me to get through it. Your mileage may vary, as you might find it to be immensely helpful.
Chey H
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was incredibly valuable and insightful. Once I finished the book, I immediately started Re-reading chapters applicable to my current career situation.
Brian Kramp
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
The author had a clear intention of owning her own business someday. But first she got a great job at Google that tied in perfectly with her plan, that would teach her what she needed to go off on her own. Then she quit and went off on her own after the fantastic, paid education. It's actually a great pattern, it just doesn't apply to a lot of people, and therefore none of the content was relevant to me.
Brian Tracey
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hat tip to James Altucher on this because Jenny's appearance on his podcast introduced me to Jenny and convinced me to read this book. Having pivoted many times over my career, Jenny offers a well-organized, well-thought out process for career reinvention that draws from your strengths and values. This will be one of those books I keep coming back to.
Anthony
May 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: career
this book seems to just be a compilation of quotes from other authors, and examples of how other people have shifted in their careers. to me the info in this book is common sense.
Karen
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fantastic book for anyone considering a career change - or anyone simply fed up, frustrated or feeling depressed. Jenny Blake holds out a hand to hold you up while you take a deep look at where you're at, where you want to be and how to get there. Change is scary, but Pivot is an excellent guide.

I found myself stopping in the middle of a chapter and immediately getting to work on what she was suggesting - and since reading this book, I've gotten closer to launching a business and getting my side
Cooper
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Pivot's theme of pivoting ones career in "an intentional, methodical process for nimbly navigating career changes" matched perfectly with my current career pivot. There are numerous stories and excerpts from other self-awareness books that provided some depth to an otherwise corporate-speak initiative.

The positive takeaways for me were: 1) the gentleman who spoke about retirement being an antiquated concept - totally agree with him and intend to use that in interviews, 2) the antiquated notion t
Kristin
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I randomly came across this book in a bookstore at the perfect time. In Pivot, Jenny Blake offers a practical guide for people who are considering their next career move. She recommends clarifying your values, vision and strengths, scanning for future possibilities, and piloting different options before launching in a new direction. I like how honest she was about the struggles in her own career journey, her focus on contributing to the world and how she cheers people on in their quest to change ...more
Kelly Lynn Thomas
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is possibly the most helpful and practical career guide I've ever read. Jenny Blake's method is solid and provides a framework for figuring out where you want to go next (and next, and next). I love the focus on the process of growth and change--so many career books focus on one ultimate goal (a specific job or title), when for a lot of us that's just not practical.

The truth is work is different today than it was for my grandparents, and it's highly doubtful I'll spend 30 years at one comp
Howard
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
Did you ever have the feeling "Wow! If I had known this then, I would have done something different?" Don't beat yourself up - most of us have been there. The subtitle says it well: "the only move that matters is your next one."

Pivot is a book about how to think of your personal career arc. Pure and simple, it's a step by step guide to changing both your thinking and your execution with respect to your career direction. It's a book about looking forward, but provides some interesting thought pro
Erin Shoot
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jenny Blake's pivot approach epitomizes the way to approach the current, and undoubtedly future, work world. Graduate students can gain insight by working through this process while still in school, and then hopefully their first job will better align with who they are as individuals. What especially resonates with me in this method is that it is inherently risk-averse. Many times we think that to "follow our bliss" or "be our true selves" we have to engage in radical, and often self-destructive ...more
Becki Iverson
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book found me at exactly the right time. I have been feeling a little plateaued and know I need to do something to get out of my comfort zone and growing again. Jenny has a good roadmap in here for how to evaluate decisions towards change, take actionable steps to make that change, and switch through various fields of your life. This book is very easy to read without being oversimplified and is a good confidence boost towards making said big changes. I don't think this told me a lot I didn' ...more
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I listened on audible and wished I had a paper copy to read with. And that I could sit, uninterrupted and do all the activities suggested, while reading this book. And that the author becomes my best friend and life coach. Its empowering and useful. A hard combo, but she does it.

Though I’m not looking for a change, I’m always looking to grow and she gives resources that are useful for anyone who is looking to diversify their skills and output, in their existing organization, with another, on the
Jim Vangerud
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jenny Blake knocks the ball out of the park with her new book Pivot. Although many people wish they could make a career change, few people have any idea how to do it. Jenny Blake has a plan and she articulates it beautifully in this book.
Plant, Scan, Pilot, Launch, Lead. Concrete steps you can take to move from an unsatisfying career to a work life that fits your skills and passions more completely. In this book you learn how to make that change without being reckless.
If you are ready for a
Jesse Langel
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Smashing success is one pivot away. Make it happen.

This book is full of tools and insights packaged together to address perhaps your most important, professional concern: your purpose.

Pivot stands out for having numerous, visual diagrams and exercises to aid your vision. For example, career operating modes (p. 23), values mining (p. 42), happiness formula (p. 47), zone of genius (p. 68), vision statement (p. 60), and platforms to leverage expertise (p. 128).

Jenny Blake has devoted her life to
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The New Rules of Work: The Modern Playbook for Navigating Your Career
  • How to Be Happy at Work: The Power of Purpose, Hope, and Friendship
  • Illuminate: Ignite Change Through Speeches, Stories, Ceremonies and Symbols
  • Pivot: The Art and Science of Reinventing Your Career and Life
  • Entrepreneurial You: Monetize Your Expertise, Create Multiple Income Streams, and Thrive
  • Brazen Careerist: The New Rules for Success
  • How to Invest Your Time Like Money
  • Reinvention Roadmap: Break the Rules to Get the Job You Want and Career You Deserve
  • The Execution Factor: The One Skill That Drives Success
  • Making Room for Life: Trading Chaotic Lifestyles for Connected Relationships
  • Impossible to Please: How to Deal with Perfectionist Coworkers, Controlling Spouses, and Other Incredibly Critical People
  • Good People: The Only Leadership Decision That Really Matters
  • Reinvention: How to Make the Rest of Your Life the Best of Your Life
  • Statistics for People Who (Think They) Hate Statistics
  • How We Work: Live Your Purpose, Reclaim Your Sanity, and Embrace the Daily Grind
  • Coaching for Leadership: The Practice of Leadership Coaching from the World's Greatest Coaches
  • Emily Post's The Etiquette Advantage in Business: Personal Skills for Professional Success
Jenny Blake is an author, career and business strategist and international speaker who helps smart people organize their brain, move beyond burnout, and build sustainable, dynamic careers they love. She is the author of the forthcoming book, Pivot: The Only Move That Matters is Your Next One (Portfolio/Penguin Random House, September 2016), and Life After College (Running Press, 2011), which is ba ...more
“Cut yourself some slack. Remember, one hundred years from now, all new people. —Message tacked to a tree by monks at Wat Umong, a 700-year-old temple in Thailand” 1 likes
“the gut contains over 500 million neurons, equivalent in size and complexity to a cat’s brain, and is the source of 90 percent of our body’s serotonin production. The gut-brain is primal, forming in the womb before the heart- and head-brains. It” 0 likes