Start by marking “On Being Stuck: Tapping Into the Creative Power of Writer's Block” as Want to Read:
On Being Stuck: Tapping Into the Creative Power of Writer's Block

On Being Stuck: Tapping Into the Creative Power of Writer's Block

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  32 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
What if writer's block became your most precious teacher? An empowering new process for writers who struggle with the seemingly insurmountable middle of a project, from the author of Writing Begins with the Breath.

Writer's block is not a mysterious force that has aligned with your writing to stop you in your tracks. Writer's block occurs when hope meets fear—when our expe
Published May 17th 2016 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about On Being Stuck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Being Stuck

Leslie Reese
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: about-writing
Less than 160 pages long with a lot of encouraging gems, especially for someone early in their relationship with their writing process. More than craft techniques this book provides tools like guided meditations, breathing exercises and "Deep Inquiry Practices." It was a good companion to guide me through a writing slump.
Story Circle Book Reviews
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Laraine Herring invites writers to create their own "Foundation Tool Kit" of "practices, prompts, movement activities, and playlists" to help move forward and deeper into their work. Besides making pencil notations throughout the book, I have typed up my "tool kit". It's full of questions for "Deep Inquiry," writing prompts, body and breath exercises, and a range of innovative approaches that I can use in my relationship with writing.

Writer's block can force a writer to slow down and as Herring
Grace
Laraine Herring's "On Being Stuck: Tapping into the Creative Power of Writer's Block" espouses a new age approach to writing and breaking through a block through meditations, breathing exercises, harnassing your body's energy, and writing exercises. Herring employs short chapters so the book can be easily read in bite-size chunks, but much of the content seemed repetitive. Herring says the same thing two or three times in a chapter instead of expanding on the topic.

This is one of those craft bo
Haley Keller
May 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
To be honest, this book wasn't for me. While I like to read books on writing, this one was focused around how to motivate yourself to write. You don't get any practical advice beyond motivating words and journal/meditation topics about writer's block.

The author is a proponent of mindfulness and meditation. Each chapter is very short (a few pages at most) and each ends with a task meant to motivate you to write. These tasks are prompts that you can write about in your journal (that the book encou
rebeccaketling
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An unassuming little book that offered up much more than expected. This is a process book, NOT a craft book. Includes thoughtful, practical essays and practices to help you get to the root of whatever kind of block you’re dealing with. Recommend to all writers looking for new ways to approach a sore issue.
Rosa
May 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
ON BEING STUCK focuses on personal development blocks and how they affect writer’s work. The author refers to writer’s block as a pause on work to pay attention to what’s going on inside us.

ON BEING STUCK uses imagery thanks to “personification, character creation, and active imagination” to embrace, for example, shadow work – false beliefs. Moreover, this book includes practices like meditation, breathing, gratitude and inquiry; therefore, several activities to reach the subconscious mind to de
Sarah Sherrin
Sep 01, 2016 rated it liked it
As a disclaimer, I shall state that I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. That being said, this book was an interesting perspective on using the author's spiritual self to get out of writers block. While it was an interesting new perspective in things, I don't think it's something that pertains to me and meditation does not work with me when it comes to any kind of art. There were other things, but the options were limited with me. I will probably give this book to a friend of mine who might ...more
Dave
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
On Being Stuck approaches writer's block from a perspective I had never considered. Does the spiritual well-being of a writer influence their ability to write, and to write well? Laraine Herring makes a solid case with this book. Can meditation unleash creative powers? I don't know, but the next time I'm stuck it'll be worth a try to find out.

I received this book as part of a Goodreads Giveaway.
Loretta
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is definitely one I will keep on the active bookshelf, to go back to and work more with the exercises and prompts. Very good, gentle, practical advice that resonates for me...but I haven't put any of it into practice yet. Next step!

Trenchologist
Oct 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Another book that isn't quite my vibe. But I took notes and some inspiration of a few things to experiment and try, which is the reason for reading and contemplating books like this.
Jennifer Louden
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wise, gentle, embodied I nodded my head with every word. If you want a more sane and whole way to get your work done, check this out!
Rose
  • The Writer's Desk
  • The Art of History: Unlocking the Past in Fiction and Nonfiction
  • The Art of Perspective: Who Tells the Story
  • Bukowski in a Sundress: Confessions from a Writing Life
  • Fire Up Your Writing Brain: How to Use Proven Neuroscience to Become a More Creative, Productive, and Successful Writer
  • Why We Write About Ourselves: Twenty Memoirists on Why They Expose Themselves (and Others) in the Name of Literature
  • Science Blogging: The Essential Guide
  • The Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics
  • Fiction-Writing Modes: Eleven essential tools for bringing your story to life
  • 100 Words Every Word Lover Should Know
  • Several Short Sentences About Writing
  • Adventures in Cartooning: Characters in Action
  • Art Thinking: How to Carve Out Creative Space in a World of Schedules, Budgets, and Bosses
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Creating a Graphic Novel
  • Reviewer-Focused Grant Writing: Making the Vision Plain So the Reader Can Run!
  • What Poets Are Like: Up and Down with the Writing Life
  • Stan Lee's How to Write Comics: From the Legendary Co-Creator of Spider-Man, the Incredible Hulk, Fantastic Four, X-Men, and Iron Man
  • A Writer's Space: Make Room to Dream, to Work, to Write
Laraine Herring holds an MFA in creative writing and an MA in counseling psychology. Her short stories, poems, and essays have appeared in national and local publications. Her fiction has won the Barbara Deming Award for Women and her nonfiction work has been nominated for a Pushcart Prize. She currently directs the creative writing program at Yavapai College in Prescott, Arizona. She is a member ...more
More about Laraine Herring

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $4.99 $1.49
    $4.99 $1.99
  • I Suck at Girls
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems
    $11.99 $3.99