Start by marking “The Innovator's Dilemma: The Revolutionary Book that Will Change the Way You Do Business” as Want to Read:

Harvard professor Clayton M. Christensen says outstanding companies can do everything right and still lose their market leadership -- or worse, disappear completely. And he not only proves what he says, he tells others how to avoid a similar fate.

Focusing on "disruptive technology" -- the Honda Super Cub, Intel's 8088 processor, or the hydraulic excavator, for example --
Published January 7th 2003 by Harper Paperbacks (first published 1997)

Start your review of The Innovator's Dilemma: The Revolutionary Book that Will Change the Way You Do Business
Mal Warwick
Nov 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Chances are, you’re reading this review on an example of disruptive technology. An iPhone or other smartphone. An iPad or a notebook computer. Or simply a laptop. Every one of these devices turned its industry upside down when it was introduced, driving established companies to the brink of insolvency, or even into oblivion, and paving the way for new actors to enter the landscape.

Today, almost instinctively, we understand the concept of disruptive technology. But it wasn’t until after the
Rod Dunsmore
Oct 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book on innovation and how start-up and entrepreneurs ought to fashion their company to go against entrenched incumbents.

The gist of the book is an interesting trend the author found when analyzing the industry. He found that certain innovations were "disruptive" -- meaning they changed the way a market worked, and some were "sustaining" -- meaning they were really just improvements on existing products.

The author traces disruptive innovations through the steel industry, where it
Calsee
Aug 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book was on my list of "Books I should read" for a long time. Maybe this is why it was so disappointing, or maybe I've just read too many modern case studies of business models to find this engaging. It was interesting to read about the origins of many terms that I take for granted (i.e. disruptive technology), but I couldn't really relate any of the examples or theory beyond anything that's already been mentioned by other more recent authors. And its hard for a 20-something to relate to ...more
Gabriel Pinkus
Sometimes, supply creates demand.

That’s my summary of the book.
Martti
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Clayton M. Christensen writes clearly and analytically, with lot's of examples and research, pleasure to read. Thoughts so logical you wonder how the managers/CXO's he talks about didn't figure this out by themselves already yesterday. A thought provoking read no doubt, even for those not in executive positions.

It's not a 100%, but gets some future predictions right - fun to discover them 18 years later. And it's also interesting to use the frameworks described to think about new technologies
Nico Macdonald
This is one of the best books on innovation in the last 20 years. I read it in 2000 and still refer to it. Christensen's core insight/argument is that businesses fight shy of developing innovations that will 1: produce limit profits initially; 2: cannibalise core, high cashflow/profit lines. But that what look like niche technologies - Winchester drives, hydraulic backhoes, etc - improve in capability, reliability and reduce in price to the point that they entirely cannibalise the existing ...more
Nelson Zagalo
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book, but a bit disappointing because totally centred upon business managing. I would like to see the discussion occurring at a lower level, the creative moment, before management decisions. Leave here the five principles stated by Clayton in the book. I generally agree with all of them, being the fifth one the most subjective.

"Principle #1: Companies Depend on Customers and Investors for Resources

Principle #2: Small Markets Don’t Solve the Growth Needs of Large Companies

Principle #3:
Athan Tolis
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, startups
The subject of this classic is disruptive technology.

With the help of many examples from industry (disk-drives being his main workhorse) the author explains what technologies are likely to disrupt, who is likely to be disrupted, why they are likely to be disrupted and what the choices are that the established players have when presented with disruption.

The most important point is that disruption generally comes from the practice of repackaging and marketing already existing, straightforward
Glen
May 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mohrcollab
Notes from Clayton Christenson, The Innovator’s Dilemma

It pays to be a leader in a disruptive innovation
• Leadership in sustaining innovations gives little advantage
• Leadership in disruptive innovation creates enormous value

But established companies typically fail in the face of disruptive change
• Companies get organized to satisfy current customer’s needs and to facilitate design and production of current products. This organization can then prevent the organization most conducive to
Bonnie Atkinson
Jun 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Well, this is a mixed bag, this interesting little book. The observations are prescient but the presentation is abominable. I'm sure for those who demand an exhaustive regurgitation of every step in an analysis, it is useful, but I felt that most of the book could have been the research appendices. On the other hand, the conclusions drawn were incisive and incredibly useful. It would have worked well if it had been presented as a research paper with a 10-page abstract. As a practitioner, I could ...more
Max
Oct 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech-econ
The ideas are astounding - a must read, however, the book is quite dense. There is a ton of research behind everything, but the presentation can be a bit redundant/overwhelming.

Definitely worth the read - but don't be afraid to skim sections once you've gotten the point.
Jeff Yoak
This is one of those books that becomes an instant classic. Everyone talks about it until you think you know most of what it has to say without reading it shortly after it comes out. You can barely carry on a conversation about technology without someone using the term "disruptive." It deserves that reception and as with most cases, there is much more to gain by reading the book than just the popular representation.

The book defined disruptive technologies vs. sustaining technologies and
Yevgeniy Brikman
Jul 30, 2012 rated it liked it
A pretty convincing argument for why large, established companies struggle to keep up with disruptive innovations. It turns out that the very things that make those companies dominant in an existing market work against them when considering new markets. As the pace of disruption accelerates, the lessons in this book become more and more important.

Less convincing are the solutions the book proposes and, at an even more basic level, how to distinguish between what the book calls "sustaining
Dorotea
Clayton M. Christensen in The Innovator’s Dilemma argues a distinction between two types of technology change, each with different effects on the industry’s leaders: technologies (either incremental or radical) that sustain the industry’s rate of improvement in product performance, a typical prerogative of dominant firms, and on the other side, disruptive innovations which redefine performance trajectories and result in the failure of the industry’s leading firms.

A longer summary can be found
thethousanderclub
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've written before I'm not a big fan of many business books because many authors "intentionally or unintentionally, [attempt] to make [their] book some kind of new scriptural canon, demanding of our attention year after year." The Innovator's Dilemma is a different book altogether; it's MBA territory and not meant for readers who enjoy a quick but mostly superficial exploration at self-help techniques. Clayton Christensen's The Innovator's Dilemma is a challenging and enlightening book, which ...more
Antonio Stark
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A short piece on how disruptive innovation fails to bloom in gigantic organizations, and how innovators might act around the "force of nature" of large corporations whose inertia is towards incremental increases on existing customers. The book describes managerial practices, minimum profit margins, and existing data handicapping larger corporations on making investments on risky ideas whose customers do not yet exist. At the same time, dislocation of small self-sufficient teams, cultivating of ...more
Joel
Clayton Christensen is to the study of innovation what Thomas S. Kuhn is to science. Kuhn's "normal science" is analogous to Christensen's "sustaining innovation", and "scientific revolutions" is like "disruptive innovations". Kuhn sees progress in science not as the discovery of new phenomena, but as fitting existing "anomalies" into a new "paradigm". Christensen too sees disruptive innovation as finding new markets for existing technologies. I'm sure the analogy can be taken further, but in ...more
Oksana Hoshva
Aug 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: it-innovations
It’s been over a year since I got really passionate about learning more about the disruptive innovation after dealing with it on daily basis as a consumer or just simply as a human being. I bought a book ages ago and it was waiting in a line for quite a while. I prefer articles to books I must admit, but felt like I really need to read the book said to be the mandatory theoretical background for entrepreneurs in all domains.

It was a hard and a dry read for me I must confess. First, due to
André Bueno
May 18, 2015 rated it liked it
KEY POINTS
Disruptive technologies or innovations upset the existing “order of things”. The process appeals to customers who are not served by the current market. With time, because the capacity/performance of the innovation exceeds the market’s needs, the innovation comes to displace the market leaders.

Market leaders generally don’t react until it’s too late, because they don’t represent an interesting market, being low end and often low cost. One successful strategy might be to hive off a
Kumar Ishan
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Traditional thinking that good decision making, right management skills and listening to customer has led many firms to failure, at the onset of disruptive innovation.

The book with its many examples across industries, presents what is innovator's dilemma and why they fail. It explains why the very nature of disruptive innovation and its proclivity to succeed in emerging market (only), cripples large firm even with their immense resources and expertise.

The book also provides the solution, based
Chris Johnson
Nov 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
So, the information, the ideas would make this a five star book. It's a way of thinking that helps ward off obsolescence, a way of thinking that gets people to understand where future disruption may come from. The whole idea: that good management (like, truely good) eventually leads to poor decisions is fascinating.

The example: If current customers demand "faster horsers" companies rightly put their energy into faster horses. What the customer says and wants isn't necessarily what's good for the
Traian Stancescu
Dec 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Good book dating back from the 90s. The author's theory should be known by anyone in a position to make strategic decisions. To be honest I was skeptical at first about his ideas, but they quickly became obvious as more and more cases were presented.

Taking away one star for being superfluous -- half of the book comprises the same few takeaways that are repeated over and over again in the introduction, conclusion, and in between each case study.

Taking away one more star for choosing a misleading
Jeric
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: put-down
I don't read many books, but for some reason this one was a bit of a let down especially after all the fascinating reviews. For me it read like a textbook written by an engineer. With so much business/industry vernacular as interesting and ground breaking the content may be, it was boring and a struggle to read.

I'll try again another time, maybe when I'm in a more analytical mood.
Onkar
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you are sick of hearing cliches like - "The customer is always right", this book is for you. The author Clayton Christensen who is very well known for his research, takes examples of industries like disk drive, excavation and such to demonstrate how successful and innovative companies fail precisely because they listen to their customers. The author proves that getting customer feedback, tracking competition, allocating resources carefully, using tried-and-tested processes, all hallmarks of ...more
Ganesh Muthupalani
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant book on Innovation & Strategy! Prof Christensen aims to why Great Firms always lose out to Disruptive Innovations. The book is divided into two parts: Why Great Firms fail & How Great Firms can defend their empire. The juice lies in the first part!

3 Key Points from the Book on Why Great Firms Fail
1) Disruptive vs Sustaining Innovations.
*Sustaining innovation = improvements to the current performance thru tech advancements.
*Disruptive innovation = Creating a brand new value
Shubham Bansal
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A must read theory for anyone who is into Problem Identification. Basically everyone :)

I started this book 3 years back, read 25-30 pages and gave up as I did not found it interesting. I started it again last month, but now I already read 2 other books by the same author, just to realize that the language in this book was too tough for me to understand 3 years ago mainly because of my level of understanding.

As I have mentioned in the reviews of other books by Clayton Christensen, the theory in
Bryan
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The concepts in this book are interesting and explain a lot about why my previous company struggled to produce successful technology. The book itself was unbelievably dry. The summary is that it takes different skills, risk tolerance and management to be successful at innovating, than it does to maintain an existing business.
Helio
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding documentation on how many businesses don't have a clue of how to maintain success.
Alessandro Baffa
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the most interesting and useful books i've ever read. You will see technologies and trends in a totally different way.
Jacob
Jun 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Had to quit. Written like an academic paper. Not engaging.
M. Dyer & Sons, Inc. 1 4 Aug 31, 2018 12:52AM
buku tentang bisnis 1 2 Aug 07, 2018 06:39PM
FULL Creative Lib...: The Innovator's Dilemma 1 7 Mar 05, 2014 02:38PM

• The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
  • Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Practice and Principles
  • Built to Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies
  • Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die
  • Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future
  • Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Crossing the Chasm: Marketing and Selling High-Tech Products to Mainstream Customers
  • Blue Ocean Strategy: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make the Competition Irrelevant
  • The $100 Startup: Reinvent the Way You Make a Living, Do What You Love, and Create a New Future
  • Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration
  • The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
  • The 4-Hour Workweek
  • The Intelligent Investor
  • Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
  • The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done
Clayton M. Christensen is the Robert and Jane Cizik Professor of Business Administration at the Harvard Business School, with a joint appointment in the Technology & Operations Management and General Management faculty groups. He is best known for his study of innovation in commercial enterprises. His first book, The Innovator's Dilemma, articulated his theory of disruptive technology.

“In contrast, investing time and energy in your relationship with your spouse and children typically doesn’t offer that same immediate sense of achievement. Kids misbehave every day. It’s really not until 20 years down the road that you can put your hands on your hips and say, “I raised a good son or a good daughter.” You can neglect your relationship with your spouse, and on a day-to-day basis, it doesn’t seem as if things are deteriorating. People who are driven to excel have this unconscious propensity to underinvest in their families and overinvest in their careers—even though intimate and loving relationships with their families are the most powerful and enduring source of happiness.” 11 likes
“Disruptive technologies typically enable new markets to emerge.” 10 likes