Start by marking “The Towers: DS Connolly - Book One (East End Noir Series)” as Want to Read:
The Towers: DS Connolly - Book One (East End Noir Series)

The Towers: DS Connolly - Book One (East End Noir Series)

Oppression. Despair. Rebellion.

What pushes a teenager from the toughest sink estate in East London to join The Met?

Reader Reviews

"Cracking read easy to follow full of action couldn't put it down..."

"If you haven't read this book then you don't know what your missing, couldn't put it down once I had started it."

"Absolutely brilliant lots of twists and turns."

"Found
Published August 19th 2015

To ask other readers questions about The Towers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Towers

Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Devoured on a flight home from Gran Canaria to the UK. What a surprise book this was! I had bought it ages ago and so glad I did. Full review to follow.
Ted Tayler
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it
"Harsh story of life on the streets"

Dark and depressing from the outset. An accurate account of what life is like on the sink estates in many British cities, and the futile attempts of the authorities to bring some order and most of all, hope. It doesn't make for a fun read. It could also have benefited from a more stringent proofread.
Book Addict Shaun
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book three of 2018 and I am on a bit of a roll with some great reads. The Towers is the first in a series and introduces us to brothers Mark and Matthew as they move onto the notorious estate. Natalie Hames portrays a brutal and realistic setting here with The Towers, the fear felt by the family at moving to the area being palpable. Despite being set in the 90s this unfortunately could all too easily be a story set in the present day because not much has changed for some of these tower blocks ar ...more
Lillian Cummings
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Can you make a difference? Matthew knows that his mother had no choice but this place is awful and the gangs will stop at nothing to muscle their way in. Matt is trying to keep his brother Mark out of trouble and he worries that he is going to get in with the wrong crowd. Mark tries to keep his nose clean and he needs the extra money to help his mother pay the gangs. But he never signed on to get involved with drugs but he doesn't see a way out now. Can Matt get his revenge, they killed his dog ...more
Ann
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book. Once I started I had to keep turning the pages.

Real life drama of life on an inner city estate. After circumstances force a mother and three sons to move from a nice area to a very different rough area. It doesn't take long for the local gang to make themselves known demanding protection money.

We then see how the two older boys handle this new life. How, starting with the best of intentions they make their own choices. One taking what at first appears to be the easy route, th
Helen Christmas
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Great Depiction of London Social Housing

From the moment I started reading this I got straight into it the plot. It was fast, gripping with some really compelling characters. The main storyline involves two brothers, one who is easily led, the other more feisty and determined to stand up against bullies. This novel depicts the true predator and prey environment of people forced to live in high rise tower blocks; a story of conflict, organised crime and fighting for the underdog. I really enjoye
Sharron Machin (booksbehindthetitle)
Great read couldn't put it down

An amazing book, gritty , realistic and gripping to the end. Looking forward to starting book two to see how the characters develop but it's a great standalone book but it draws you in and makes you want to know more. A must for all those who enjoy a great crime thriller.
Peter
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Good opener to the series.

Enjoyable read and unusual in its approach. It was good to be introduced to the future DS Connolly as a teenager an approach that I've not come across before.
Believable characters and good descriptions of life on a sink estate. Look forward to book 2
emma
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!

Honestly couldn't put it down! Can't wait to download the next book tomorrow and carry it on! Never read one of her books before but I can promise it won't be the last! Outstanding
David
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Not too bad for a first in the series will follow this one.
Miss Dizzy Read
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars, it was free and a quick read, not brilliant but not terrible either!
Gillian
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love when I go to read a new author (to me) book no expectation so with an open mind I started reading The Towers.
It's a story of a middle class family who are betrayed by their father and end up on an estate where let's just say you wouldn't want to visit let alone stay. There's Sandra the mother Mark, Matthew and Sam the sons and Major the dog.
Things get off to a bad start while unloading their belongings the local bully boys torment Major who is guarding the van. Matthew very protective of
Tom Elder
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Natalie Hames
The Towers.
1st book in the series. A family split up and must sell their nice home, the council then move them into the towers, then the action begins with gangs etc. Follow the family's actions through to a very good ending. Highly recommended read.
5* 09 February 2017.
Angela
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very well written book about gangsters and their shady goings on . I loved it
Terry  (TBC)
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed trying this new authors 1st book. I'll def be getting more. The story is a good one about life on an estate and impact on people's lives. The good and bad. Choices.
harnick johal
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Got this as a free book as was recommended it and after reading this will be buying the next books in the series now
Jayne Parker