Start by marking “Komodo” as Want to Read:
Komodo

Komodo

An incendiary speculative fiction novelette from the NYT bestselling author of the Southern Reach trilogy. Meet your cast of characters: Angels and ghost frogs, transdimensional komodo dragons and secret forces using luna moths for surveillance. Want to traverse space and time to avoid the komodos tracking your scent? All you have to do let yourself be devoured by a giant ...more
Published August 12th 2015 by Cheeky Frawg (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Komodo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Komodo

Start your review of Komodo
Heidi Ward
Beautifully, hilariously weird. Maybe the komodos -- or the angels -- are responsible for Area X? Just a passing fancy. Like this dreamlike novella. I love this guy.

4 stars
Alexander Pyles
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
A slippery, twisting, strange narrative. Unsure what I "exactly" read, in some ways that's the charm. This fiction needs to marinate. ...more
Richard Thompson
This is an odd little story. Mr. VanderMeer has a big imagination. It is presented in a way that seems incoherent at first, but comes together. I like stories that develop this way. It plays with the idea of multiverses, an infinite number of possible worlds that exist in parallel, and in this case there are a variety beings who are able to move between them, first the angels, creatures with wings who are nearly ageless and nearly indestructible, who have a self-appointed role in guiding the des ...more
Bill
Sep 15, 2020 rated it liked it
With Mr. Vandermeer, there’s always a chance it’ll be totally wild

The story in “Komodo” is pretty incomprehensible, but that feels secondary to the spirit of invention and experimentation. This novella has something to do with multiple realities and beings (“angels”) that exist outside and across realities, but the heroine is on the run from evil komodos that are not like the ones we know. I could never quite get what was going on, and there were several minor irritants that compounded, such as
Tonya Liburd
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful Weird Science Fantasy experience

Ok.
This is like... I imagine this is what a good trip, when high, is like. I mean this in the best possible terms.
It's chaotic, jumps around, jumps back and forth, but you never lose track of anything or lose your way.
The narrator rambles, but your eyes widen with the incredulousness of what is being said.
To try and accomplish this in a story of one's own would be a great writing exercise.
Highly recommended Weird Science Fantasy.
Melanie
Like most of Vandermeer's novels, this is written in a unique, non-linear way. The narrator tells the story of her life, more or less, to what is apparently a child. In doing so, the universe that the characters inhabit is revealed first by lies and then by truths. It takes quite a bit of attention and a willingness to think to interpret what is being said.

Obviously, this is not for everyone, but for those who enjoy delving into strange places with strange minds, this is it.
Nicole
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll be frank with you here, I was about half way through this book and thought to myself, "this might be the first VanderMeer novel I'm not going to like."
Wrong.
The second half holds your hand a little more and doesn't just rush you along into the unknown. This is an outrageous, silly, really COOL story.
Sulfitar
I did enjoy this short read, but in the end it left me somewhat cold. I liked the prose and the images, but I didn't feel amazed the way I felt with other Vandermeer's narratives. A bit shallow, maybe, coming from other JV writings. Anyway Sheeter is great as ever. ...more
Charles Martell
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ok A little too hard to follow in places but the author is wonderful

Not bad was a little hard to follow in places. Author is a master in using words though and I enjoyed reading this.
ECH
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Odd...

I can always trust Jeff Vandermeer to be writing about something that it never would have occurred to me might be a thing, let alone a topic of a story. He seems to have a thing about bears. Silly me I thought he just had things about mushrooms and squid.
MacRae  Forrest
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you have 2.99 and half an hour to spare this is a fantastic way to spend it.
Nick
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Weird but cool.
Mario
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the oddball quality of the plot and the narration, and although I have only read two books by this author so far, I find the use of female protagonists refreshing. The mythology created in this particular story is rich and intriguing too, especially in such a short work. It was at once satisfying, and yet left me wanting more.
Alan
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was weird and weirdly enjoyable
Jeff Raymond
I'm certainly thinking I should read more short fiction, so seeing as there was a Weird Fiction Storybundle put together by Area X's Jeff VanderMeer, I dove in. One of his shorts, Komodo, was part of it.

Yep, it's weird all right.

The story is a strange one to describe, our narrator giving a tale to a child that gets progressively stranger and more disturbing as it goes on. It's almost a short game of one-upsmanship, as each break in the story seems to introduce an even more bizarre wrinkle that d
Drew
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A blast. Many many times weirder than anything in the Ambergris or Area X trilogies, in the best possible way. If you’re a fan of VanderMeer, you ought to check this out and see just how wild the man’s imagination can get. If you aren’t a fan of VanderMeer yet, go read City of Saints and Madmen or Annihilation and get a little taste of what’s to come. Jumping into the deep end is dangerous, for you and for others – but I promise the water is fine either way. Just look out for the…

More at RB (inc
Peter
As a big fan of Vandermeer's work, this was a must read.

I love how Vandermeer tries to experiment, and do push himself to do different things in different works. This one, though, was not for me.

The stream of consciousness prose paints a hallucinatory image, but takes quite some effort to read. I can appreciate the artistry, but sometimes even weird is a bit too weird for me.
William Breen
I wanted to like this more. It started out interestingly, but never coalesced for me. This was described as an expanded version of an earlier story, but I felt it could have been expanded even more for my taste.
Erich
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read before you dive into Borne in April. May have to get eaten by a Ghost Bear if I don't score an ARC by then, though... ...more
neko cam
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A quirky short fiction piece mostly in keeping with Vandermeer's strange style. ...more
Meagan
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weird fiction indeed. I liked the unreliable narrator telling a story, but got ever so slightly tired of him talking to me/others through the child.
Andrew
Jonas
Aug 25, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Piranesi
  • Available Dark (Cass Neary, #2)
  • Gli animali che amiamo
  • The Quiet War Omnibus: The Quiet War and Gardens of the Sun
  • Breath, Eyes, Memory
  • Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5)
  • The Devil in America
  • Beyond the Dragon's Gate
  • Neghentopia
  • Buried
  • Into the Dark (Star Wars: The High Republic)
  • Catherine House
  • Malorie (Bird Box, #2)
  • The Taiga Syndrome
  • Emergency Skin
  • Quichotte
  • The Last Mrs. Summers (Her Royal Spyness, #14)
  • Seven of Infinities
NYT bestselling writer Jeff VanderMeer has been called “the weird Thoreau” by the New Yorker for his engagement with ecological issues. His most recent novel, the national bestseller Borne, received wide-spread critical acclaim and his prior novels include the Southern Reach trilogy (Annihilation, Authority, and Acceptance). Annihilation won the Nebula and Shirley Jackson Awards, has been translat ...more