Start by marking “The Perfect Ride” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Ride

The Perfect Ride

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  74 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
More than a racetrack reminiscence, this is the remarkable comeback story of a man who has triumphed over a lifetime of adversity, and who stunned the world with a jubilant return to racing in 2000. of photos.
Published May 1st 2003 by Citadel (first published May 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Ride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perfect Ride

Maggie
Oct 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book languished on my TBR for far too long. I thoroughly enjoyed this "insiders" view of professional horse racing and Gary Stevens' rise to the top. I liked Gary Stevens who seemed to be very caring about the sport and the horses, even if a bit too centered on his work to the detriment of his family. He certainly loved his family, but they didn't come first (a common failing in many of us).

I learned a lot about the role of the jockey and horse racing and it was fun reading this book while
Rae
Apr 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports-related
One of the top jockeys in the business tells his story...really interesting behind-the-scenes look at the racing industry from an Idaho farm boy.
Emma
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Gary may not be a superb writer, but he's an amazing conversationalist. He's very candid and honest in this autobiography, and gives you a very in-depth and invaluable look at many of the highs and lows of his career that we all only witnessed on tv. Famous racing celebrities can be difficult to get to know because their every move isn't plastered all over In Touch or Us Weekly, but Gary holds nothing back about the mistakes he's made and his relationships (good and bad) with famous trainers and ...more
Barbara
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horse
A good book for horse lovers or racing fans. Gary Stevens has had an incredible career as a jockey. Having recently been in the press for his latest comeback, this was an especially interesting read. The book is not all that well written, but not terrible either. So content wise, I'd give it four stars. From a writing perspective, 3 stars. His insider stories of some of horse racings most famous horses, trainers, and other jockeys were really entertaining. The flow was somewhat confusing sometim ...more
Linda
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horses
Reading this book was like having a series of easy-going conversations with Gary Stevens: Hall of Fame jockey, movie star (Seabiscuit) and now horse-racing sports analyst. Great for horse-racing fans and horse lovers alike - Gary takes you right up onto the back of some very famous horses and explains race strategy and the life of a jockey, with all its ups and downs. A very enjoyable read!
R.p. Morgan
a good read for those interested in or knowlegable about the horse racing industry. I enjoyed this famous jockey's life story and came to appreciate the struggles and sacrifices, not to mention the risks, that all horse jockeys face to pursue their dreams of winning the big races.
Wendy
I hated this book, and have done my best to put it from my mind. Gary Stevens doesn't exactly showcase himself in the best light here, so if you want to still like him, don't read this. I've put it from my mind and now I like him again.
Lucinda Hasterlik
Allison Janezic
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read for lovers of racing and fans of jockey Gary Stevens.
Festina Scriptor
Aug 31, 2012
Anthony Spoto
Feb 14, 2016
Bellarush
Man's got an ego, doesn't he? hahaha :-)
Janie
Jessica
Nov 18, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Gary Stevens Official Website Biography

Gary Stevens was born March 6, 1963 in Caldwell, Idaho into a family of horse people. He came to racing naturally, his father, Ron, is a trainer and had him grooming horses at age 8. His mother was a Rodeo Queen. His brother Scott is a jockey. Before he was 14, Gary was riding winners in quarter horse races at the bush tracks and fairs

He rode his first thor
More about Gary Stevens...