Start by marking “Making Loss Matter” as Want to Read:
Making Loss Matter

Making Loss Matter

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  68 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Some losses are so subtle they go unnoticed, some so overwhelming and cruel they seem unbearable. Coping with grief and experiencing loss overwhelms us in ways that seem both hopeless and endless. In painful moments like these, we must make a choice: Will we allow the difficulties we face to become forces of destruction in our lives, or will we find a way to begin learning ...more
Published August 1st 2000 by Riverhead Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Making Loss Matter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Loss Matter

Dindy
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The sanctity of life despite the certainty of death is Rabbi Wolpe's message or my take away. Doesn't diminish the pain of losing my mother but reminds me that death is inevitable and in that an opportunity.
Lore Lippincott
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirit, non-fiction
I bought this book after my kitty died. (He got sick; a month later he was gone.) It was the first time I dealt with a sudden loss on my own, as an adult-type person, and I lost grip on reality while spinning through grief. (I forgot to pay bills. Do laundry. Eat. I used to be so good at remembering phone numbers. After the loss, and to this day, I can't remember phone numbers at all.) This book helped me get a handle on what grief was, and its process. Very gently told, but philosophical and sp ...more
Nancy
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rabbi Wolpe has written a book that deals with the many losses we face in life. Some parts of it were really thought provoking. Others, were interesting due to the differences in my beliefs and his. Then others were down-right dull. Depending on where I was in the reading, made a huge difference in my enthusiasm to get back to it. An interesting concept though- since we experience losses all through life.
Martin Goldberg
I so wanted to love this book, but it left me disappointed. I find Rabbi Wolpe's writing scattered, which is unfortunate since I think he has much wisdom to impart. I find the books by Harold Kushner much more satisfying. Also, a book I am currently reading, "Scarred by Struggle, Transformed by Hope" by Benedictine Nun Joan Chittister is absolutely amazing and covers similar ideas. Anyone who reads it will be blown away by the beauty and depth of her words and writing.
Judy
Dec 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wolpe's theory is that we all experience loss all the time (loss of dreams, health, relationships, etc.), and it is what we do with that loss that gives our lives meaning. He uses many familiar Old Testament stories to illustrate his points, presenting many new insights that I had not thought of. I found myself underlining almost the entire book, and I think I've given away about ten copies. For me, this was a life-changing read, and there aren't too many books I can say that about.
M.j. Radosevich
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a re-read as I originally picked it up after a professional and personal loss several years ago. The Rabbi Wolpe presents the reality of loss in any life truly lived but alas we all grieve in our own way and time. It takes as long as our hearts need to heal and can not be rushed or ignored. We can be ever busy but eventually we must face the loss or we pay the price with a paralyzed heart.
Kimberly Simpson
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book and would be a great comfort to anyone questioning his/her faith during difficult times. One of my favorite quotes...

"there is no magic answer to loss. Nothing, not even time will make the pain completely disappear. But loss is transformative if it is met with faith. Faith is our chance to make sense of loss, to cope with the stone that rolls around in the hollow of our stomachs when something loved, something we thought was forever is suddenly gone."
Darlene
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
I was thinking of Karen and Jon when I pulled this off my shelf of dusty spiritual volumes. As I began reading the book by Rabbi Wolpe, I was absorbed by its initial resonance in my life. To be continued . . . in the end, it was less than I had hoped for as I read selectively.
Matt Root
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful and deep reflection on seeking meaning from all of life's losses
Jen Rink
  • Jewish With Feeling: A Guide to Meaningful Jewish Practice
  • The Art of Blessing the Day: Poems with a Jewish Theme
  • The Beginning of Desire
  • The Talmud and the Internet: A Journey between Worlds
  • This Is Real and You Are Completely Unprepared: The Days of Awe as a Journey of Transformation
  • Man's Quest for God
  • Zakhor: Jewish History and Jewish Memory
  • Don't Believe Everything You Think: Living with Wisdom and Compassion
  • In My Father's Court
  • Change Your Life in 30 Days: A Journey to Finding Your True Self
  • The Singing Fire: A Novel
  • Kabbalah: A Very Short Introduction
  • Toward a Meaningful Life, New Edition: The Wisdom of the Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneerson
  • Betraying Spinoza: The Renegade Jew Who Gave Us Modernity