Start by marking “Cadaver Dog” as Want to Read:
Cadaver Dog

Cadaver Dog

(Zombie Dog #1)

Angie Graves trains dogs on all kinds of scents: guns, bombs, even cadavers. But when she is approached with the idea of training a dog to track zombies, she is not so sure. She needs a different dog for this line of work, and the only one available is a dog named Murder who she rescued when she found him left for dead. The problem is, Murder is nothing like a hero dog. He ...more
Published October 13th 2015 by Doug Goodman

To ask other readers questions about Cadaver Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cadaver Dog

Start your review of Cadaver Dog
JenacideByBibliophile
Disclaimer: I was sent an ARC copy of this book by the author, Doug Goodman, for an honest review

This is a pretty quick read, only about 130 pages, but don’t let that keep you from reading it. For how short this story is, it is PACKED with detail and suspense. If you are like me, I have never read a book or heard much information about cadaver dogs (dogs that are trained to find dead humans, as well as sniff out bombs or track). The fact that this author, Doug Goodman, is actually a volunteer fo
Mrs. Y
I do not usually talk about this, but I am a zombie-fiction-a-holic. Oh, yes, I do love my zombie books. I've loved them for years, and I think they are probably one of the best parts of sci-fi and dystopian fiction when done well.

'Today's review is on Doug 'Goodman's book "Cadaver Dog," and it is zombie fiction, specifically sci-fi. I want to thank Doug for his patience while I read this, I picked it up on Kindle Unlimited, and he had asked me to review it. I'm so glad he asked!

For my first im
Pam Mooney
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Chasing zombies in the Colorado Rocky Mountains! Who could want more?! A suspenseful adventure that will make you growl at anyone who tries to interrupt your read. The author obviously has great knowledge of dogs and search and rescue. I can tell you from my experiences in the Rockies and with animals he is spot on. The characters endear themselves to you as strong and proud people trying to do their best in impossible circumstances - again spot on for search and rescue personalities. I would ra ...more
Laura Thomas
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was quickly caught up in the story of Angie Graves and her dogs. She trains them for all kinds of purposes, the newest being tracking zombies. Through fire swept forests, she races to save the life a young girl stolen by a zombie.

I fell hard for Murder, Angie’s zombie tracking dog. She found him near death on the side of the road, nurtured him back to health, and found he had a calling for tracking zombies. He stole my heart as fast as he could steal your french fries. And his heart was a larg
Swapna Peri
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book Title: Cadaver Dog
Author: Doug Goodman
Format: Kindle
Genre: Fantasy

Book Title:
The title ' Cadaver Dog ' is interesting and self-explanatory. The title suggests that the plot is based upon a Dog as the main character.

Book Cover:
The cover is a simple image of a great valley with wonderful picturesque.

Plot:
Angie is a lone young woman who prefers to be with her dogs than the people. Once, she finds an almost dead dog on the side of the road, saves him, nurses him back to health and trains him
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I just really like how the Author took a very unique twist on the ‘zombies’. They are more vehicles to be used by the ‘wasps’. Now don’t let that fool you, they are still gross and nasty and evil. Just slightly different than what you would think.

You could really tell the Author knew what he was talking about when it came to the dogs, search and rescue and all the other technically side of things.
P.S. Winn
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
The author introduces readers to Angie Graves and some very special dogs. Te dogs Angie trains are helping to find zombies. This story is unique and I think stands out from your normal zombie story. This is the first book in the series and a quick, but intense read. I am looking forward to checking out more books by this author.
Sam
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It hit all the right notes for me! Something a little different to the normal zombie story! Great ideas, good story line & dogs! What more could you want! A thrilling ride, ups, downs & a great combination of mixed emotions! I do recommend this story & can't wait to read more by this author! ...more
Ricky Kimsey
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sniffing Out The Dead

Be warned this is the first volume in the Zombie Dog series
which explains why things are not neatly tied up. However if you would like to read a horror/police procedural hybrid this might be for you.
Jeanne Pocius Dorismond
Hero Dog

This is a great story, with a fascinating twist on the traditional zombie plot. Murder, named for the murder of crows surrounding his dear dead body when our heroine first found him as a stray pup, is a valiant dog who more than rises to the occasion, and repeatedly so. I won't spoil the story for you, but expect to fall in love with this black and blue mutt and his handler, Angie. This is a team worth following. The book is well written and well-edited, a true pleasure to read. A+ Bravo
Diane
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely awesome version of the zombie apocalypse. Most zombie stories are all the same - unknown virus - people affected by virus become zombies - zombies bite other people creating more zombies. I love those books too but Cadaver Dog has a totally different reason behind the apocalypse. No virus but a giant wasp!

Angie Graves is a Search and Rescue volunteer. She trains all varieties of scent dogs for individuals or police. Doug Goodman who is a human remains dog trainer, explains
Beth Wilson
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing

I really enjoyed this book. It was complex and well written. The characters were defined, and appeared very realistic. I look forward to reading more books by this author.
Jen Ponce
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different take on the zombie genre

This was different than most of the zombie novels out there. Zombie bites don't transmit the zombie virus, because it isn't a virus. The main character is a dog trainer and Handler comma an interesting soul who I would have liked to get to know better. There was good action in the story and an ending that was bittersweet. I'd read another.
Criss
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This weekend I dove into Doug Goodman’s Cadaver Dog and while it is not my usual genre of choice I truly enjoyed it from start to finish. Goodman has crafted a page-turner that takes place in an alternate reality were zombies exist and are under Animal Control jurisdiction. Working as a freelance search and rescue officer, Angie Graves, a rough around the edges dog trainer, is drafted to the front lines for a battle against the undead. With her special partner, Murder a foundling mutt, she track ...more
Mary Brannian
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wowza! What a ride!

Angela (Angie) Graves is an antisocial, gruff, genius dog trainer. She's trained bomb sniffing dogs,cadaver dogs, rescue dogs, even simple obedience; but she's never trained a dog to hunt zombies; actually to hunt the wasps that " drive" the zombies.

Murder is a rescue animal, a dog that Angie found more dead than alive. Lop eared and scarred, Murder has that unnameable drive, the drive to succeed. When Angie tells Murder, "Buzz, find Buzz!" he springs into action.

A lost girl b
Deb Wcisel
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Could be better

Inconsistencies are annoying. The final zombie is way too coordinated after everything else that had been said about them. Also, it is said that the one dog died and then somehow he is at her side and alive at the end. And last, 3 stings from one wasp, in very specific areas each time is just at wrong
Rachel
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting twist to the zombie tale!

I really enjoyed this book! I liked the characters, I liked the plot, I liked the zombie twist. This isn’t an apocalypse zombie book, but the zombies are still mega-creepy!
Rose VanDee
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow amazing novel

Very much enjoyed this book as a dog lover i could relate to Murders quirky toy obsession my heArt skipped a beat when she met Lloyed the firefighter My late fAther shared the same name and of hoT

H.L. Carpenter
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nicely written zombie-hunter book; a twist on training detection dogs. Both the dog and the MC are well-fleshed (yes, a pun! shame on us!). Enjoyable read, whether or not you like zombies (and we're not especially fans of zombies).
Thistle
Jan 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
I had mistakenly thought this was a book about people who trained dogs to find dead bodies, but instead it was about people who train dogs to handle zombies. Since I have less than no interest in zombies, I abandoned this book pretty quickly.

DNF
Jennifer Shepard
This is the first book I read from this autor and let me tell you that I loved it! Such a good book with great characters that keeps you obsessed with every page since the first one. I loved Murder (the dog :p) Can´t wait for book 2! Amazing job! definitely a must read!
Mary
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a good way to spend a sleepless night.

I love dogs and dog stories. Couple them with an adventure and a good tale like this one, and therein lies a great reaf
Harry Delong
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different

Different but good. Some parts excellent, some not so much. A different approach to zombie stories and to me a more scary. Could believe it is almost possible.
Sonia Hensley
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting

Loved the story, the absence of dead zones of filler words was refreshing. I couldn't put it down until the end which I wasn't ready for!
Judy Schreiber
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thrill ride!

I could visualize the wasps and feel them as the description brought them to life. It was suspenseful and touched my heart! Can’t wait for more!
Linda Gray
it was ok a new twist on zombies
Judy
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this story, but felt it was too short. Yet, a lot happened in those few pages; anything more would have been useless filler.
David Blaylock
Apr 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Time to start the second book in the series.
Gary Buettner
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Doug Goodman’s Cadaver Dog is an exciting adventure story that plays with various genres (without getting bogged down in them) and manages to find a dark and truly frightening twist on the idea of the zombie, creating a monster more sinister and original than the garden variety shambling corpse.

I’m a zombie fan, but not really a dog person, so I was happy to see that the story makes use of its dog characters in a way that isn’t sappy and isn’t stuck in any kind of zombie cliche storm.

I found i

• Days Since...: Thomas: Day 758 (Almawt Virus #1)
  • The Evergreen Motel Cursed Part 5
  • The Dancing Girl: An "All the Tomorrows" Short Story
  • Daughters of Anarchy: Season 1
  • Blood and Magic (Blood and Darkness Book 1)
  • I'm the Last Face You'll Ever See
  • The Sign of the Eagle (Britannia Romanus #1)
  • Grave Consequences
  • After Z
  • Betrothed to the Beast (Reformed Rogues, #1)
  • Incurable Obsession
  • Lost in Wyoming (Whispers in Wyoming, #24)
  • An Agent for Clarissa (The Pinkerton Matchmaker Book 80)
  • The Hell Next Door: A Novel
  • A Down South Hustla Stole My Heart: An African American Women's Fiction Book
  • Infinity: A Bridger's Origin (Bridgers, #0)
  • The Humid: A Novella
  • A Dangerous Witch (Wildes Witch Academy Book Two)
I live in Houston, but I was raised in Lubbock, Texas. I’m an animal writer. It doesn’t matter if the animals I write about are zombie-hunting dogs, dinosaurs, or giant kaiju monsters, I’m interested in that area where animals and humans intersect. I’m especially curious about the mind meld that happens with working animals. This is my point of view for examining human nature, and why I enjoy writ ...more

Zombie Dog (3 books)
  • Dead Dog (Zombie Dog Series Book 2)
  • Zombie Dog (Zombie Dog Series Book 3)