Start by marking “The Sport of Baronets (Romance of the Turf, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Sport of Baronets (Romance of the Turf, #0.5)

The Sport of Baronets

(Romance of the Turf 0.5)

An original novella introducing Romance of the Turf, Theresa Romain's exciting new Regency romance series...

The lives of Sir Bartlett Crosby and Hannah Chandler have been marked by fierce competition between their elite families...the perfect breeding ground for a mutual attraction neither can deny.

Bart hopes to conquer "the turf" through victory in a much-tout
Published November 3rd 2015 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

To ask other readers questions about The Sport of Baronets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sport of Baronets

Caz
The Sport of Baronets is the introductory novella to Theresa Roman’s forthcoming Romance of the Turf series, and it most definitely gets the series out of the paddock and up to the starting gate in fine style. (I’m sorry – I couldn’t resist it!). I tend to be quite picky when it comes to novellas, as it’s the rare author who can construct one that is as strongly characterised and plotted as a full-length novel – but Ms Romain has risen to that challenge, not only establishing the background for future boo ...more
namericanwordcat
Oh, I wanted to like this book much better than did. It has witty banter. It is not about ballrooms. The heroine has agency.

I found myself pushing myself to finish it. I never invested in the characters or the romance.

Something was just off. Romain is a great writer but this just didn't make me believe in the love between the couple.

I was given this book for an honest review. So, there you have it.
Lacey
May 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
This novella was okay...there were certain parts that I liked but overall, it wasn't my cup of tea.

I don't like the family feud theme, so that's why this book didn't work me. I didn't care about the main characters, I thought Hannah was very annoying and I didn't really understand why she wanted Golden Barb so much. Her reasons didn't convince me and I couldn't relate to her. I liked Bart, he's a nice man and I liked the fact that he was shy around women; it's a nice change from all
Mariana
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beta-hero
I liked the first kiss scene, and I ended the book with a smile on my face.
Bubu
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hr, 4-stars
Novellas can be tricky. Conveying the growth of emotional depth between two people with a plot that is believable in a full length novel alone is a difficult task. Even more so, in my opinion, in novellas due to their obvious limitations, which is why I usually stay away from them unless they're written by my favourite authors.

So this little gem - recommended by my GR friend Becca (Thank you, again!) - came as a little surprise, not only because it's a novella but also because it's a comp
Sonya Heaney
Originally posted HERE .

I’m quite a fan of Theresa Romain’s historical romances, so I got this one without reading the blurb. I’m going to assume the bleeding obvious, that this is the introduction to a new series!

While I’m really excited about the new series, I did find all the horse talk a little… well, it wasn’t for me. I’ve found recently that – as horse-mad as I was when I was younger, and as jealous as I was of my friends who had horses – it can be a little boring reading about them.

However, Romain is one of the better v
Book Gannet
2.5 stars. The idea of a Regency series centered around horse racing is what drew me to this book – and not just because I love horses. The sport truly was a major part of Regency life and often gets ignored, so bonus points to Theresa Romain for heading to Newmarket for this novella.

However, much though I loved the idea, something about this story didn’t quite work for me: Hannah. What an awful person she is – selfish, brattish, rude and exceedingly petty. Her habit of calling Bart Mr Crosby, in
4 Stars

Theresa Romain is another new-to-me historical romance author that I have been eyeing for awhile. I have a few of her books on my e-reader, but decided to use this story as a gauge of whether I would enjoy her style. The Sport of Baronets is the novella that is the start of the Romance of the Turf series which will focus on training horses for racing and two families that are prominent in the sport.

The Chandler and Crosby families have been rivals for years so, when Hannah Chandle
Becca
The Sport of Baronets is not your typical historical romance novella. In this story, we are introduced to Bart and Hannah, two people from feuding families who find themselves becoming allies in the search for a missing racehorse. What makes this story different is how fleshed out the horse racing scene is. In the span of this tale, I learned about betting, horse care, stables and their staff, and racing. At first, the level of detail was a bit off-putting, but then Hannah and Bart discovered th ...more
Esther
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Arc from NetGalley for an honest review.

Hannah and Bart's family have been rivalries in the horse breeding and racing circles.Due to financial difficulties Bart's Mother sells a winning colt to Hannah's family and he find this out from Hannah. Bart's struggling to get his family out of financial trouble and this one colt was going to be the ticket out. But now Hannah's family has ownership and as she's advising him of this new development the said colt disappears.

The plot
Amanda
3.5 stars!

I really enjoyed this one. It was quite clear early on that the sole purpose of this novella was to set the stage for future books starring our heroine Hannah's siblings. That fact didn't hinder the story but instead enhanced it and made me excited to read more. I loved the high stakes world of love, mystery, horses and bitter rivalries that Theresa Romain has created here.

The main romance was wonderful as well. Feisty, clever Hannah with her big dreams and plum
Alina
Oct 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, romance, historical
ARC kindly provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

From time to time I enjoy reading historical romance and this was a sweet little story about rivality between two nobel families and about horse racing. Bart's Mother sells a winning colt to Hannah's family but the colt disappeared mysteriously. The two of them put their rivality aside and they try together to find the lost colt. Some twists added to the story and a little bit of romance between the two main characters.
Phoenix77
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
If I had to pick a single word to describe The Sport of Baronets it would be “adorable”. The story is sweet, there are no major hang-ups to the central relationship and I genuinely enjoyed the main characters. Theresa Romain couldn’t have picked a better way to introduce her new series to a potential reader.

Please read the full review at Romantic Historical Reviews
herdys
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
3,5 stars! It always hard to shape characters and plot a story when you only have 100 pages but I enjoyed this short story. Even more, knowing Hanna is all happy and pregnant on Nathaniel's book.

It was a sweet romance, though sexy too, and it felt real enough for such a short story. Plus the horse intrigue wasn't too draggy and it brought our otp together, so it was all good! ;)
Andrea
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Buddy read with Lacey! (you can find her review here)

This was a nice enough introduction to the world the rest of the series is set in and explains the reason behind a family feud between two families who both own race horses.

Unfortunately, I don't really care for the family feud trope. To me, it just makes little sense that grown up people would just hate someone based on their last name. Also, the couple didn't really have a strong enough connection before the novella starts, and I'm stil
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
Free right now on Kindle and at the B&N store.
I really, really liked this. Grabbed me from the first sentence, I liked reading about Bart and Hannah and their families' not-so-great history with each other. This is a little different with the world of horse racing as the back drop. Nice little mystery with a nice twist. Good character development and pacing.
Laura Florand
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was such a sweet, warm story. It's so nice to read a story about two characters who are really nice people. And I love this world of the turf, with the two enemy horse-racing families, and how vividly that setting is evoked. I can't wait to read the siblings' stories! A definite cozy, comfort read.
Blodeuedd Finland
I was having a bad novella day. See, I like her books, but no, this one was just ok. It was a case of should have been a book.

Hannah and Bart meet, they are enemies, but look at that. They will fall fast in love.
While looking for a horse
Horses and races are boring...yup
It was too fast! I wanted more drama,

Ok
Jess
I think I was supposed to think the almost sex in the jockey chair was hot, but mostly I just thought all of it was sort of dumb.
Sharyn
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Don’t feel like I can really rate this book appropriately because I don’t really like novellas - the romance goes too fast for me. Such is the case with this book, although the sex scene is pretty steamy. I’m assuming this sets up the series by introducing the Chandler horse-loving family. I did really like both Bart and Hannah in this novella, just wished things had progressed a bit slower.
Julia
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-novellas
(January #tbrchallenge theme was "shorts", including novellas, short stories, and category romances. I have far too many novellas tucked away on my kindle from various sales, so I'm glad to wipe one off the slate.)

Theresa Romain's Sport of Baronets mixed romance with horse racing, feuding families and snappy banter. Hannah Chandler and Sir Bartlett Crosby appear ready and willing to take up the ongoing battle between families until a promising colt is stolen under their noses before
Vicki
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Bart Crosby and his family held a long running feud with Hanna's family. The Crosby family had always despised the Chandlers and vise versa. When Hanna Chandler appears at the barn holding the colt Golden Barb, an expected winner in the upcoming race, she held in her hands a note saying that she now owned the colt.

This did not sit well with Bart and he was very frank about that with Hanna. While they were discussing this problem, someone stole the colt and knocked out the grooms.

Hanna and Bart
Melissa
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up here on GR to 4 stars

A fun way to spend an afternoon. The plot was a bit predictable, but the author made the characters and dialogue shine. This was my first time reading a Theresa Romain book, but it certainly won't be my last. The setting of Newmarket and the horse race craziness rang really true for me, as I live near Newmarket and visit every so often. And you can't beat a Regency that does not have balls, marriage mart mayhem, or much in the way of titled s
Miss Susan
May 12, 2016 rated it liked it
cute story about what happens when the heirs to two rival families team up to find a stolen horse whose ownership is under question. will they fight each other? will they kiss? WILL THE HORSE BE FOUND?

(the answer to all three lies in the fact that this is a romance novella; take your pick)

both leads have disabled parents which brought to mind the realization that i almost never see disabled people in historicals. what's up with that? ty for breaking the mold there romain<
Elaine
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindlefire, regency
Liked most of it, but I'm not really into horse stories. However, I have pre-ordered the next episode in this new series, so I'll wait and see. As long as there is lots of love interest, I think I probaby will enjoy reading it. I did like the main characters though, especially Bart!
Laura Bang
The romance part is pretty adorable, but since this is a novella there wasn't enough time for the mystery and the feud to be as fleshed out as they should have been. Still, historical romance plus horse racing!
Marcy
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a sweet Regency story set in the world of horse racing. It was a great beginning to the author's new 'Romance of the Turf' series.
A.M.
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, i-own
Ah, a pun on the Sport of Kings… the male in this story is of course, a baronet. Circa 1817
His family are down on their luck; they’ve sold all the valuables and invested pretty much everything in one last horse to win the Two Thousand Guinea race. Until the horse in question is signed away to a rival family by way of a vague and previously unknown contract.
Then, whilst the baronet and the lady argue, the thoroughbred in question is stolen.
The lady is from the rival family; thin
Courtney
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review orignally posted here: https://courtneyreadsromancesite.word...

Under ordinary circumstances, I do not review digital-exclusive works. But I won a print copy from the author recently, so I chose to post a review.

Novellas are harder to review, as there is a lot less space to flesh out the characters. But Romain did a fine job of writing a compelling read that works as both a stand-alone novella and a teaser for the series.

Something that appealed to me about this book was the fact that the concept
Gemma
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Sep 20, 2015 12:55PM

• A Gentleman For All Seasons
  • One Night with an Earl: A House of Trent Novella (House of Trent, #2.5)
  • The Second Seduction of a Lady (The Wild Quartet, #0.5)
  • A Study in Scandal (Scandalous, #3.5)
  • Ruined by a Rake (All's Fair in Love, #1)
  • Return to Clan Sinclair (Clan Sinclair, #3.5)
  • Be Not Afraid
  • The Lady Always Wins
  • Ten Reasons to Stay (School For Heiresses, #2.5)
  • Dancing in the Duke's Arms
  • Lord Stillwell's Excellent Engagements (Millworth Manor, #1.5)
  • The Lady in Red (Season for Scandal, #3.5)
  • The Pirate and I (Devil's Duke, #2.5)
  • The Danger in Tempting an Earl (At the Kingsborough Ball, #3)
  • A Grosvenor Square Christmas
  • All I Want for Christmas Is a Duke
  • Scandal Takes the Stage (The Wicked Quills of London, #2)
  • Her Highland Fling (Second Sons, #2.5)
Theresa Romain is the bestselling author of historical romances, including the Matchmaker trilogy, the Holiday Pleasures series, the Royal Rewards series, and the Romance of the Turf trilogy. Praised as “one of the rising stars of Regency historical romance” (Booklist), she has received starred reviews from Booklist and was a 2016 RITA® finalist. A member of Romance Writers of America® and its Reg ...more

Romance of the Turf (4 books)
  • A Gentleman's Game (Romance of the Turf, #1)
  • Scandalous Ever After (Romance of the Turf, #2)
  • His Wayward Bride (Romance of the Turf, #3)
“As she hung in the seat, Bart stepped back and raked her with a molten gaze. “I imagine you,” he said, “with your collar undone. With your habit shirt unbuttoned and your hair unpinned.” She swallowed. “That is a lot of undoing.” 1 likes