Start by marking “Dead Man's Bluff” as Want to Read:
Dead Man's Bluff

Dead Man's Bluff

Daniel Knott was a bad farmer and a worse husband. When his charred remains are found among the burnt-out farm buildings, the police feel the solution to the tragedy will be close at hand.

That is, until another body is found…

Published August 18th 2015 by Endeavour Media (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Man's Bluff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Man's Bluff

Start your review of Dead Man's Bluff
 Reading Divergence
REVIEW: DEAD MAN'S BLUFF by Roderic Jeffries

Heartwarming, delightfully convoluted, peopled win characters both enduring and pesky, DEAD MAN'S BLUFF is pure classic British country mystery, penned by an author of more than 160 novels. The juxtaposition of dedicated rural detection vs. sophisticated city Detective Superintendent driven to success is scintillating, and impels the storyline. This mystery is so cleverly done as to keep readers guessing. Roderic Jeffries ocean author worth reading,
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
This was a quick read, but no less enjoyable because of that.

Roderic Jeffries writing style is somewhere between Agatha Christie and a Heartbeat episode. His characters are charming, if not always likable, with their own little quirks and foibles. How much more involved sleuthing was in the days prior to computer networks and mobile phones.

Several times I thought I knew where Jeffries was going, only to have the plot turn in another direction. I was proved right in the end with my suspicions,
Chaplain Stanley Chapin
A delightful English mystery

Working abroad for years and having many different English workers, I enjoyed and understand this novel. Not sure that others would understand various words, phrases or actions
Susan Angela Wallace
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dead Man's Bluff by Roderic Jeffries is a mystery and thriller read.
That is, until another body is found. It may have been identified as an agricultural salesman who had dodgy business dealings with Knott, but local Inspector Clayton is far from convinced.
Against his superior’s orders, Clayton digs deeper
Coffeerequired
Sep 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
Not my style

I got this for free on Amazon. I just couldn't finish this one, it was putting me to sleep. I am finding out that stories based in the UK is definitely not my type of book.
Marlene Shofner-Daves
This book drags.

I am not a fan of books about the UK with the London-based slang. To me me it is hard to read. This book seemed to drag on forever.
P.
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fine read. Very nicely developed characters. Good plot.
GERRIE FLICKER
Feb 10, 2016
Kevin Barry
Jun 08, 2016
peggy croucher
rated it did not like it
Nov 10, 2015
Dave Sloan
Sep 05, 2017
Sarah Caudell
Feb 21, 2016
aka Peter Alding, Jeffrey Ashford, Roderic Graeme, Graham Hastings.
Son of Graham Montague Jeffries

Roderic Jeffries was born in London in 1926 and was educated at Harrow View House Preparatory School and the Department of Navigation, University of Southampton.

In 1943 he joined the New Zealand Shipping Company as an apprentice and sailed to Australia and New Zealand, but later transferred to the