Start by marking “The Death of Ayrton Senna” as Want to Read:
The Death of Ayrton Senna

The Death of Ayrton Senna

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  223 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Richard Williams leaves no stone unturned as he examines the life and the untimely death of Formula One legend Ayrton Senna.; he gets deep into the psyche of this complex Brazilian as he analyses his character and attempts to discover the reasons behind the driver's burning desire to win. It was, Williams believes, a desire which a precious few drivers have--an inherent be ...more
Published April 23rd 1999 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published April 23rd 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Death of Ayrton Senna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Death of Ayrton Senna

Ana
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Informative, fast-paced and interesting. I am impressed by Richard Williams' style of writing.

photo The2BHARDER2BI2Bpush2B-2BAyrton2BSenna2Bda2BSilva_zpsfhdlr2oz.jpg

photo tumblr_mm4npl2ZYW1r9k5rzo3_500_zps18vihftl.gif

Having read and loved 'The Life Of Senna' by Tom Rubython, I was eager to get started on 'The Death of Ayrton Senna.' It is just as good - maybe even better.
StyLuna
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must read for motorsport lovers.
Kalle
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ignore the sensationalist title, this is the real deal: a proper book about Ayrton Senna, not some grotesque cash-in.

Having read a few of Christoper Hilton's Senna-books, it was refreshing to get a new-ish view on his career. Some of the incidents were covered in pretty much the same way, the same praise was said about Ayrton and so on. The book opens with detailed and touching account of Senna's funeral, and then goes on to cover his racing career from karting to that weekend at Imola. It's def
Kristina
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: formula-1
The first chapter is emotionally hard-hitting. What follows is a run through of Senna's career, pausing only on key events and highlighting the controversies and rivalries that he is best remembered for.
The author considers the accident objectively and looks also at how that affected the sport afterwards. Not simply in the big picture sense but looking at specific examples from the remainder of the 1994 season.
While Senna is often referred to in reverential tones (as he perhaps deserves) this is
Racheal
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Great book - a short sharp tale of his life.
Not on my to-read list for this year, but a must read for 2014.
Good bit: Mr Williams does not treat the reader as a fool. He is more than a story-teller; he commentates on the events.
Bad bit: My memory of events ...
Caroline
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
intelligent examination of what makes a legend

Subtle and insightful, this skilfully written book covers the making of Senna's glory years and the aftermath of his fatal crash. It helps the reader to appreciate the human and sublime aspects of genius.
zoesilver
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A really great book if you're into the classic formula 1, beautifully written and puts in perspective the life of one of the bests drivers that F1 ever had. Very recomended.
Luiz Felipe
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is for the Formula 1 fan of 20 to 25 years back, specially those who admired Senna. It's an engrossing read, which culminates on the accident that took Senna's life but it is not exclusively about it. It wasn't easy for me, who have always been unconditionally a Senna supporter, to read something that acknowledges that he was not only determined, but often overly aggressive and single minded about victory. Still, the book seems to do justice to his talent behind the wheel.
John
Apr 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The title tells it all. A death that no one thought could happen. He we too good to die in a race car, but shit happens. His death had wide reaching implications. The ultimate racer.
Chris
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second best book on Senna I have read after Tom Rubython's The Life of Senna. Not as detailed, as it is far smaller, and goes very quickly through his life. The most detail seems to be focused on the trial after Senna's death, but seeing as the title is The Death of Ayrton Senna, that is to be expected.
Dan Lee
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not exactly what I expected or what the title would suggest; fully 75% of the book is about the life and racing career of Senna, as opposed to his fatal accident.

I picked this up hoping to gain a better understanding of just what happened at Tamburello 18 years ago. I'm not sure I got what I was looking for, but I did get an engaging read about an amazing driver. I'll take that.
Jamie Rose
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wasn't a great fan of Senna (shock horror!) of course when he died I felt the sport had lost a vital element. If you enjoy F1, you'll probably like this book. It is a very well written account of his career and F1 overall. I don't know if it would be of interest as a general biography...

I really enjoyed reading it and Richard Williams did a great job of handling this emotive subject.
Indah Threez Lestari
331 - 2016
Atul
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
A Vivid tale of the F1 Maestro , must read for all F1 fanatics
Diogo
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Um tributo adequado a um homem que dava sempre 110%.
O culto de Senna, no Brasil e no mundo, dentro e fora da pista era absolutamente incrível.
Cristel Verhaegen
  • The Limit: Life and Death on the 1961 Grand Prix Circuit
  • The Chariot Makers: Assembling the Perfect Formula 1 Car
  • Ayrton Sennas Principles of Race Driving
  • Michael Schumacher
  • Going Faster!: Mastering the Art of Race Driving: The Skip Barber Racing School
  • James Hunt: The Biography
  • How I Won the Yellow Jumper: Dispatches from the Tour de France
  • Rommel: The Trail of the Fox
  • Kate Bush: The Biography
  • No Angel: The Secret Life of Bernie Ecclestone
  • Lanced: the shaming of Lance Armstrong
  • Sky's the Limit: British Cycling's Quest to Conquer the Tour de France
  • L'instinct de mort
“I earned good money,’ he said. ‘I was driving in good teams, I was winning races, I had pole positions … basically, not a lot to prove. So what is the point to take still the risk? That was my question to myself last week. But the other side is, what is the rest of your life?” 0 likes