Start by marking “A Summer for Scandal (Arroyo Blanco, 1)” as Want to Read:
A Summer for Scandal (Arroyo Blanco, 1)

A Summer for Scandal (Arroyo Blanco, 1)

When Emilia Cruz agreed to accompany her sister to a boating party, she had no idea that the darling of the literary world would be in assistance—or that he would take such pleasure in disparaging the deliciously sinful serial she writes under a pseudonym. No one save her sister knows she’s the author and to be found out would mean certain scandal.

Stuck on his long-awaite
ebook
Published July 28th 2015 (first published July 27th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about A Summer for Scandal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Summer for Scandal

Sue (Hollywood News Source)
I’ve been reading this book for weeks and I want to kick myself for leaving it hanging on. It’s so good. *swoons* We have a suffragist heroine, who writes a provocative series under a pseudonym. We have a well-established writer for a hero. Twist: he’s also writing under a pseudonym for a newspaper that scorn the heroine’s ‘striking disregard for anything resembling coherence.’

I love that A Summer for Scandal have recurring themes that mirror the literary issues in our contemporary society. For
Taryn (Taryn in Library Land)
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
4/5

I really liked this one! Loved the characters, loved the plot and I really adored the relationship development. I appreciated the social commentary & thought it brought up similar parallels to how romance as a genre is treated in modern times (though obviously not on the same scale). I felt like the conflict could've gone a little longer & the book could've had another round of editing, but all in all I really liked this and certainly look forward to reading more of Lydia San Andres's
K.J. Charles
Mar 19, 2017 added it
Shelves: early-c20, m-f
A lovely low angst m/f histrom set on a Caribbean island 1910 or so. (Spanish Caribbean people, not white expats.) Strongly feminist, with a New Woman heroine making an independent living in a stratified and small world. She is also on the large side, and perfectly happy with it. And she writes sexy romance and stands up for its value to the litsnobs and moral majority. I love Emilia.

The plotting is a bit on the shonky side at points--not that it doesn't work, only that a good development edito
Silvana [The Book Voyagers]
A Summer for Scandal has some Lizzie Bennet + Mr. Darcy vibes indeed. Emilia and Ruben have that sort of relationship between dislike and enemies who are always bantering and bickering. It's definitely so much fun to watch/read them argue.

It takes place in a little town, Arroyo Blanco, where gossip flows on the streets. We have our heroine, Emilia, who writes romance stories for a paper, but she does it with a fake name because it'd be a scandal if people knew she was the author. Her stories se
Skye Kilaen
Attraction, secrets, and delicious banter are the main ingredients in this historical romance set on a fictional Hispanic Caribbean island circa 1910. Emilia Cruz supports her sister and their alcoholic father by secretly writing a racy serial under a pen name. Ruben Torres is a serious novelist who writes a gossip rag on the side, also under a pseudonym, in which he writes scathing takedowns of Emilia's serial and threatens to unmask the author's identity. This isn't quite enemies-to-lovers, bu ...more
Olivia Waite
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Breaking years of Goodreads silence to tell you all that this book is utterly charming and well worth a read. Suffrage-supporting heroine in 1911 Caribbean writes scandalous romance on the side! Literary sensation hero secretly writes scathing reviews! They bicker about the purpose of Literature as they try to help/stop the romance between his friend and her sister! There are book fairs and small-town secrets, betrayals and forgiveness. Also lagoon dunkings and guava jam.
Audra North
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was a really nice change of pace from the historicals I've read lately. It had a sexy-sweet feel to it, and the tension between Emilia and Ruben was entertaining, because it was a well-done game of "Who, me? Couldn't be!"

My only beef is that, apart from the setting/clothes and plot devices, it reads a bit too contemporary, but a lot of the recent Eloisa James stuff does, too, so it's a minor quibble.
Amanda
This was a wonderful historical romance set in a small town on a fictional island in the Spanish Caribbean. I LOVED the setting and it helped give some tropes a nice twist. Emilia writes scandalous erotic stories under a pseudonym. Ruben is a famous writer who is also writing scathing reviews of Emilia’s stories under his own pseudonym. They meet during a boating party, where Emilia accidentally topples him into the water. She thinks he’s a pretentious snob, so there’s an enemies-to-lovers aspec ...more
Shruthi
I really enjoyed this for the Pseudonymous Literary Scene Rivals Who Fall in Love! There's a bit of an Austenian vibe, especially Emilia's sister and Reuben's friend forming the secondary relationship but, given the 20th century setting, there is also a lot of discussion regarding women's suffrage, women in the workplace, and feminism.
Claire
This deserves a review, because it was GREAT. Well-written, funny, smart, with lots of heart. She's a pseudonymous romance writer! He has his own pseudonym and secret! (He's a snarky literary critic and struggling writer who reads all her work just to lambast it! But secretly he admires her and has basically memorized her books, duh.) She's a suffragette but one of the other ladies in the club wants them to protest her smutty writing... not knowing that the notorious smut peddler is her!

It's GO
Ellie
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was really lovely - strong, independent heroine!

I lovely historical romance set on an imaginary Caribbean island in the early 1900s. It features two MCs who are rival writers under pen names. I loved the strong strong, independent, modern heroine. They made a nice match with hero though he came off as weaker, more confused and uncertain. The story is very atmospheric and you could literally feel the heat coming off its pages. It's fun and relatively low on angst with emphasis on women's iss
Natalie
hurray for diverse historical romance! And this one set in a fictional island in the Spanish Caribbean was so delightful!

Me fave thing about historical rom, and well any romance really, is the banter and back and forth between the heroine and hero. and this book had loads of it! Especially because our heroine writes a salacious serial under a pen name and our hero writes scathing reviews about it. whoops!

There first meeting had me cackling! poor Ruben, never safe around bodies of water where M
Alicia
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a lovely romance! Set in the Spanish Caribbean, which I don't think I have encountered before, with an almost entirely Hispanic cast of characters. Ruben and Emilia are a fun, believable couple. It's fade to black on sexy times but none the worse for that. I thought the pacing of some of the plot was a little off, and it really needs a solid proof-reading - but I'd definitely read more Arroyo Blanco.
tysephine
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, romance
Yeeeeeeeees give me all your capable ladies and their supportive love interests
Rene Sears
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
This was such a warm and charming book. Set on a fictional island in the Carribean, 1910. Emilia secretly supports her alcoholic father and beloved sister on the income she makes writing a sexy, pulpy serial in a magazine. When she meets Ruben, a well-known literary author, at a boating party, the two don't immediately hit it off--he scoffs at her serial, not knowing that she wrote it, and she accidentally knocks them both in the lagoon. But even with that rocky beginning, the two of them are dr ...more
I LOVED this. I had either forgotten or didn't know that it was Pride & Prejudice-inspired so there was a dawning realization as I read on and then I was like, "OH HELL YES." It's not a variation but a homage, and San Andres does a fabulous job of capturing the essential parts of Elizabeth and Darcy in her Emilia and Ruben but still making them her own characters, perfectly situated in their own time and place. The flirting and tension between them is wonderful. I also loved that Emilia was ...more
Jackie
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, romance
Becky
This was lots of fun. I really enjoyed the characters and the writing was good overall. But it really needed another editing pass. There were many places were a word was missing or an incorrect word was used. (For example, a character "took a turn for the worth" instead of worse.) And once the hero was referred to as Roberto instead of Ruben. (There weren't any Robertos in the story.) The story was very well done otherwise, which made these mistakes even more jarring.
Tricia
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved that both Emilia and Ruben were writers and that their work was really integral to the love story. The happily ever after felt a little rushed towards the end though and I didn't really believe the ease with which they dealt with the scandal of Emilia revealing herself under her pseudonym. But, I thought this had a great sense of time and place and loved the Pride and Prejudice vibes.
Phoebou
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-harder-2019
This was a good time. Well written characters and a lot of cute stuff, like the male lead being repeatedly dumped in water. Loved the heroine, and the commentary on how the romance genre isn't taken seriously.

Read as Challenge 16 for Book Riot Read Harder Challenge 2019.
Amy
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
2019 read harder challenge- historical romance by an AOC.

I should have liked this book- the plot sounded cute. But boy did the plot drag- I just couldn’t get into it.
♡
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 ⭐ ...more
Anne Crow
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, romance
Much fun, enjoyed the setting and the characters and the tone.
Highlyeccentric
This was really interesting - engaging plot and side plots, detailed but unsual-for-the-genre setting, romance that Worked, thoughtful approach to the types and politics of sex in context.
Get Booked Fans
Episode 135:
3. Hello!
My request is for a romance novel that I can get into. I’ve never really been a fan of the genre, but I really want to give it a shot, and I feel I just haven’t found the right ones. I know it can’t be that I’m averse to romance, because I’ve read plenty of stories that have romance, but that weren’t categorized as romance perse. I think I may just have a hard time relating to the characters most of the time.
I’m a huge fan of the TV show Jane the Virgin, which is BIG on roma
Saritza
I had a bit of trouble with the plot with this one as it took a while to develop but Lydia San Andres is so good at creating an immersive experience that I was swept back into the story every time I returned.
Lisa
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, romantic
Charming, witty, lovely. I didn't really know what to expect from this writerly romance but I enjoyed it very much and will be looking for more work from this writer!
Aj
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun, literary-nerd romance that sketches out some complex characters who actively work to understand each other.
MaryAnn
rated it it was ok
Jan 19, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Hamilton's Battalion: A Trio of Romances
  • Reparations (Foundations!verse, #1)
  • His Convenient Husband (Love and Sports, #1)
  • Listen to the Moon (Lively St. Lemeston, #3)
  • If The Dress Fits
  • Love by the Books
  • Tempest (Old West, #3)
  • The Lawrence Browne Affair (The Turner Series, #2)
  • Mating the Huntress
  • Let It Shine
  • North to You (Journey to the Heart #1)
  • I Won a What?
  • Pembroke Park
  • The Sweetest Thing (Just Desserts #1)
  • Briarley
  • The Highland Dragon's Lady (Highland Dragon, #2)
  • Daughters of a Nation: A Black Suffragette Historical Romance Anthology
Lydia San Andres lives in the Hispanic Caribbean and spends her time reading and avoiding the sunlight.