Start by marking “The Weak and the Innocent (The Frontiers Saga, #14)” as Want to Read:
The Weak and the Innocent (The Frontiers Saga, #14)

The Weak and the Innocent

(The Frontiers Saga (Part 1) #14)

Episode 14

A ship in the hands of their enemy…
A liberation gone wrong…
A chance to double their ranks…
A bold and daring plan…

Their support from the Pentaurus cluster dwindling fast, the Alliance faces new and unpleasant realities in the Sol sector. But untoward changes also bring unexpected opportunities… The 'trick' is in how you use them.

“The Weak and the Innocent
Published August 19th 2015 by Frontiers Saga Publishing

Start your review of The Weak and the Innocent (The Frontiers Saga, #14)
Jean
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
This is book 14 of the series. In the last book, a scout ship with a jump drive fell into Jung hands. Captain Nathan Scout and the Aurora must get the jump drive back or destroy it. They end up taking on a Jung battleship in an attempt to obtain or destroy the scout ship.

The Ghatazhak play a key role in this book and Jessica and Commander Telis are at odds with each other. Jessica is also upset as her brother was the Captain of the scout ship that was taken by the Jung.

The Pentaurus Cluster is
Susan Grace
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
I have really enjoyed this series...until this last episode. The title is aptly named as the story was weak for me and I felt like an innocent victim, expecting one thing and getting another! There are so many new characters off in many different directions and there was a lot of backstory given to these characters that I found less than interesting. What I had originally liked about this series was the relationships of Nathan Scott and the many dilemmas he faced and how he questioned himself ...more
Randy Ellicott
Keeps getting better!

If you're looking for a new series, start on this one now! Sci-fi at its best, storyline is tight, characters are deep.
David Hamel
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ryk Brown does it again
Will Hudson
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mr Brown continues to keep me sucked into the fate of Capt Scott, his crew and all of humanity as they fight against the Jung. The titles of this book and the next are appropriate, as they demand that you evaluate your own beliefs and what you would be willing to do to not be subjected to rulers not of your choosing. Many of the things the protagonists have done in the last couple of books really grey that line that we all say we wouldn't cross. That brings home the reality of war. In our modern ...more
JP
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
It turns out that (view spoiler) didn't die in A Show of Force after all, and there's still a chance that the Jung won't (view spoiler). There will be a tense few scenes before we find out for sure. It does rob the ending of A Show of Force a bit, but The Frontiers Saga has always felt somewhat like a television series and for that genre it fits. You need to raise the stakes, but the twist is almost always that the (view spoiler) ...more
Clayton Falter
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent action sequences and plots

Not quite sure all the plot mechanics are fully plausible without some serious flaws in enemy command. But they pass minimums. Lots of secondary characters get little time in the spotlight between combat scenes. Not quite as many science flaws planting themselves center stage. But quite a few math errors in movement and perspectives - e.g. objects would not appear drift away slowly at 1% power of main engines that is still acceleration on the order of 1500
John (JP)
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Weak and the Innocent (The Frontiers Saga (Part 1) #14) In war who are the weak and the innocent? They are countless hapless civilians on liberated worlds caught between the Alliance and Jung as they battle for control. What right does the Alliance have to cause the death of innocents mere to protect Earth?

On Earth politics rears its ugly head as an Admiral turned politician starts an Earth 1st movement. Earth ships should defend Earth and not her allies. This potentially pits a crimp into

Tyler Davis
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was very action packed and full of new surprises and characters. It was an amazing edition to the series in my opinion. I think that Ryk Brown might of gone a little bit excessive with the new characters though because while reading this book I felt like I would barely see any of certain characters who used to be the only ones in the spotlight(like Captain Scott). He did an amazing job with all of his "in battle talk" as I like to call it. He made it seem very realistic and not being ...more
Michael
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before you start this book, please realize it is #14 in a series: if you haven't read the other books in the series in order, this one will make no sense to you.

This installment had a lot of details in the action and pace of the last novel, and seemed to focus in on a few discrete items vs. the bigger picture of where the series may be going (or not). While certainly enjoyable, this installment to the series seemed to leave quite a bit more open and unanswered questions in comparison to the
chrisz
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Saga continues...

I have been reading the saga for last few months. After fourteen books I still enjoy the story and will read the next book. As all series certain parts better then others. The author built expansive universe that allows to have a good space opera stage. There are battles , spy excursions, new weapons and few characters that keep me coming back for more. Look forward to a next part.
Marie M Williams
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another action packed episode!

I say episode because Mr Brown does such a great job describing the scenes, I can see them in my mind. I know the people and I'm saddened when I lose my friends The action as always is non stop and the characters like Loki and Josh and Nathan and Jessica keep the story personal and fun. Can't wait to read the next one.!
Chris
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
4 stars minus one for very rough language.

most of this book is somewhat mundane and advancing the larger scene of the series, but there are still some very exciting parts.

without giving anything away, there is one very touching part helping to show the human side of war and survival
Bryce Carr
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good series with very well written characters. Very much enjoyed the whole series start to finish.
Jonas
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superb book, best in the series, so far. The story, the characters and indeed the author's skill has matured exponentially with every book, and I can't wait to read the next.
Kyle
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice to see them go on the offense again. This story is just as great as the rest.
David Syzdek
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Better and better

The Frontiers Saga keeps getting better with thrilling action scenes, great characters, and a believable sci-fi universe. Enjoy this amazing series.
Piotr Rogalewski
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!

Missed the Honorverse style action? Mr Brown brings you second best story! Can't stop and won't stop till I read all books
Doug
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great series. Ready for part two, but taking break to tackle another series.
Louise Pass
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous

As is usual for this series, there are plenty of explosions, and plenty of realistic interactions between the core characters move ing the story along. Read this series!
Shelly Singhal
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Too much deus ex machina

There's a great scene near the end where Nathan really needs to make a hard call and out of nowhere he's saved. That happened too much in this book. Starting 15.
Jim
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really, really like this series. It has changed considerably since the first book, or rather, episode. Once, a long time ago, Lieutenant Nathan Scott has been just out of the Academy on his first voyage in an experimental starship. That ship, the Aurora, has taken him thousands of light years and back and made him it’s Captain. All of this was done in a very fine science fiction manner. Captain Scott is now believable in his positions as are all the other characters that made up the Aurora as ...more
Per Gunnar
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Frontiers Saga continues at a good pace. This is another enjoyable book in the series as far as I am concerned. It starts right were the previous instalment left off and we are thrown straight into the action when the Alliance desperately tries to recover the jump capable ship that the Jung managed to capture and escape with…or at least so they thought.

The unfortunate events in the Pentaurus cluster, which I still is not too happy with story-wise, are of course also having unwanted
Don Viecelli
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review Number 107:

This review is on The Weak And The Innocent from The Frontiers Saga Episode 14 by Ryk Brown. It is Book 14 in a long running series that is finally coming to an end.

Episode 14 seems to start where Episode 13 left off. One of the captains of a Scout ship is trying to find the Jung battleship that escaped with another Scout ship that has Jump Drive capability. They must find it at all costs.

Captain Suvan Navarro of the Avendahl is trying to protect Princess Deliza after her
Ed Tinkertoy
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this book but it seemed to me to have a lot of filler. For example, the part where Josh was testing the new super Falcon in the simulator had a lot of dialogue that seemed to be , to me, necessary. The writer could have just as easily said they did test flights in simulators without giving all of the details. There were a couple of places where the story jumped from one activity to another with no explanation of how. Like, for example, when they used the Jung captured ship to trick the ...more
Mike Nemeth
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ryk Brown appears to understand the addiction he has created among his readers. He keeps the product coming quickly enough so we don't lose our craving. It's compelling and fast-moving the future of Earth and its far-reaching colonies hang in the balance. Captain Nathan gets shuttled off to bit-part status as Brown in "The Weak and the Innocent" juggles multiple story lines in the "Frontiers Saga: Episode 14." The Ghatazhak warriors play an starring role in many of the most intense action ...more
_
Episode #14 of the Frontiers Saga proved to be somewhat of a transition story. While it does contain some action scenes (which I've come to expect & really appreciate in this series), they are small in comparison to previous books, thus is was a much slower read. That does not mean a bad one, as the story continues to grow and branch into a much larger sphere with many potential tangent stories and character lines to follow. The tech continues to hold sway over the events of the story, and ...more
Patrick
Aug 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Yay Alliance

The Alliance is still going strong and a thousand super soldier's minus hundreds of casualties are tasked with conquering entire planets. I don't think it works that way but if it does I don't believe it.

The U.S. Military committed more than three hundred thousand troops to the pacification of Iraq. It was a sparsely populated country, and not even the dominant one in a smallish region of Earth.

The veneer of personality on most of the characters has faded over the last several books
Jon Spriggs
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I can't remember if this is "back on form" or "still on form" but this book was pretty damn good. We're still chasing Captain Scott around the unknown universe, fixing wrongs and smiting the evil Jung empire.

Some of the characters are a little wooden, but it's nice to see a major character being slapped back into line from their usual in-your-face east of doing things.

Part of me does wonder when a ship gets written off by the insurers as uninsurable, given the number of times it's ended up being
Todd Page
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it
The series is losing some steam at this point I think. Don't get me wrong - I'm a big fan.... but sometimes it feels like we're getting filler in order to make sure the series goes on for a while longer. I tire of reading all the talk back and forth during the battle scenes that, while quite realistic, I'm sure (and probably desirable to the hard core readers), it just slows things down and distracts from the story. I find myself browsing through the conflicts instead of really understanding ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• A.I. Rescue (The A.I. Series Book 7)
  • ...Till It's Over! (Cole & Srexx #2)
  • The Lost Supernova (Lost Starship, #10)
  • It Ain't Over... (Cole & Srexx #1)
  • A.I. Void Ship (The A.I. Series Book 6)
  • Imperium Defiant (Light of Terra, #3)
  • Haven Ascendant (Cole & Srexx #3)
  • The Lost Swarm (Lost Starship, #11)
  • Exile
  • Star Fire (Stars End, #1)
  • Rebellion (Omega Force #11)
  • Ruins of Empire (Blood on the Stars, #3)
  • Echoes of Glory (Blood on the Stars, #4)
  • Battleground (Black Fleet Saga 7)  (Unification War Trilogy, #1)
  • Dauntless (Blood on the Stars #6)
  • A.I. Battle Fleet (The A.I. Series #5)
  • TFS Ingenuity (The Terran Fleet Command Saga, #1)
  • Star Kill (Stars End, #2)
Born in 1960 and raised on an overdose of television, NASA, and science fiction, Ryk Brown has worked as a cook, rock guitarist, stage lighting technician, and paramedic. He currently resides in Northern California with his wife, daughter, and cat. By day he fixes computers, and by night he creates stories.
Having spent his entire life "thinking stuff up", the advent of digital publishing has

The Frontiers Saga (Part 1) (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Aurora: CV-01 (The Frontiers Saga #1)
  • The Rings of Haven (The Frontiers Saga #2)
  • The Legend of Corinair (The Frontiers Saga #3)
  • Freedom's Dawn (The Frontiers Saga #4)
  • Rise of the Corinari (The Frontiers Saga, #5)
  • Head of the Dragon (The Frontiers Saga, #6)
  • The Expanse (The Frontiers Saga #7)
  • Celestia CV-02 (The Frontiers Saga #8)
  • Resistance (The Frontiers Saga, #9)
  • Liberation (The Frontiers Saga, #10)
“all anyone truly owns is their reputation, and that nothing speaks of one’s reputation than one’s own deeds.” 1 likes
“Really, I speak a few myself, I’m proud to say. English, Spanish,” 0 likes