Start by marking “The Hive” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  36 ratings  ·  16 reviews
ON THE RUN TO SAVE HER BABY

A pregnant cyborg and a teenage boy fight against intergalactic governments to protect the unborn in this novel from a Christy Award-nominated author.

Published October 16th 2016 by Enclave Publishing (first published October 16th 2015)

really liked it 4.00  ·

Sierra Faith
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review Originally Found At: https://26countlesspossibilities.word...

Genre: Sci-Fi, Christian, Romance.

Age Range: 16+ for romance.

Stars: 4/5 stars
My Thoughts:

Just finished this book and wow, that ending! I want the second book RIGHT NOW!!!

Okay, now onto my review :D

Zain is a girl who is telepathically connected to her home, the Hive. Her brain buzzes with chatter, and it fulfills her. Suddenly, she’s ripped away from the only home she knows and her thoughts are her own. The Hive controls it’s occ
Amy
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sci-fi is not a genre I am often drawn to, but I enjoy Otte's writing so I thought I would give this book a try. The first two pages I was a tad intimidated and thought I might need a sci-fi-English translator. ;) However once I pushed through, I really got into the story. I enjoyed Otte's vivid descriptions and an engaging plot line that held my interest til the end and kept me up way too late the last two nights. Overall I enjoyed the character development and romantic tension in the story. De ...more
Victoria Howell
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm normally not a fan of stand alones but this was a good one. It had a satisfying ending and a good message. :)
Lucy (That Book Gal)
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
I had problems with this book.
Most of them spawned by my high expectations and love for John Otte's Failstate series.
So let's talk about the problems.
My first complaint is the characters. They felt flat and I was unable to relate to them.
I also felt like Zain was super... awkward to read about? Her scenes felt a bit stuttery. Zain also didn't do much action, and I just didn't connect with her at all. She needed a bit more of a backbone in my opinion.
My next complaint is the world. Failstate tak
Lisa Godfrees
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is my third John Otte book. The storyline was intriguing. We have a woman who is part of a collective. She awakens and gets separated from her hive (similar but better than The Borg). Turns out she's not only a cyborg, but she's pregnant one. Oops.

Great premise. And the writing is solid.

I liked the characters: Zain, Matt, and Jim especially. Of the three, I really wanted to learn more about Jim. He's a fantastic complex side character.I'd like to know more of his backstory.

It's been a while
Abby Cashen
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was an awesome and well thought out story full of action and suspense, I couldn't put it down! Now I really need to pick up Numb...Read full review at:http://sutorinohana.blogspot.com/2015...
*I received an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Amy McNew
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Zain is on the run to save her baby

A pregnant cyborg and a teenage boy fight against intergalactic governments to protect the unborn in this novel from Christy award winner John Otte.

Why is Zain pregnant? She belongs to the Hive, a collective of cyborgs who choose to live apart from the rest of human society. At times, the Hive rent out some of their females to produce tailor-made children for paying couples. But Zain is an engineer, not a breeder. When she finds herself separated from the Hive,
Meagan Myhren-bennett
The Ministrix # 2
By John Otte

Her ship was no longer functioning. It's last act was giving her the means to survive and escape. But when she was disconnected from the Hive (a cybernetically enhanced society) and isolated with her own thoughts she discovered a disturbing and perplexing truth. Zain was pregnant - but why or how was not information she could access. A fragmented, corrupted file gave her a clue, a single name - Scorn.

Is this Scorn a way back to her people? Zain is determined
Rebekah Gyger
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Hive deals with (at least on some level) the idea of whether or not a child can be born an accident and then if the child can be aborted for the mother's benefit. It is a great theme, especially with the social issues in America today. Tangled with this was also the idea of taking responsibility for our actions and looking out for more than just ourselves. While I think that these themes could have been explored more, I still enjoyed reading about something pertinent to modern culture even ...more
Teisha Priest
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Science fiction and political intrigue, what's not to like? I read the first book in the series, Numb, when it came out, and I was excited that there was a second book releasing! That being said, you don't have to read Numb first, as The Hive can stand alone.

I was a bit worried that a book with two such young main characters might not appeal to a reader in her mid-thirties. Turns out, there was nothing to worry about, as I still greatly enjoyed reading The Hive!

There are definitely strong Chris
Tonja  Condray Klein
This book is not just a good read... IT'S AN AWESOME READ! I LOVE Sci-Fi and Fantasy, and this book totally met and exceeded my expectations. I ADORE the FAILSTATE Series by John W. Otte too, but his new book surprised me in ways that captivated my attention and mental capacities completely. If I hadn't had to eat or sleep it would've only taken me 1 day to read it instead of 2. I Pre-Ordered the E-Book for my Kindle at Amazon already. Why? Well, the characters are relevant, the story is compell ...more
Josh
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What happens when there’s a fight between the home you’ve known and the truth you discover? Is safety worth giving up the most precious things in life? And what are those things? These are questions The Hive explores from the very start. They carry through to touch everyone that we encounter. The Hive is most certainly a morality play set among the stars. But it’s not at all a heavy-handed one.

John Otte does a wonderful job allowing readers to empathize with the characters without drowning us in
Anne Hamilton
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A hugely fun book with an serious undertone.

Zain is part of a collective consciousness called 'the Hive'. She's a cyborg. And somehow, mysteriously, she's pregnant. Occasionally the Hive rent a womb for paying customers outside their tightly-controlled region of the universe - for couples in the Ministrix or individuals in the Praesidium, other just-as-tightly-controlled intergalatic governments. But these tailor-made children are always implanted in breeders, never in an teenage engineering cy
Teresa
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, romance
Rating: PG Some thematic elements involving a teen pregnancy.

Zain belongs to a Hive of Cyborgs and finds herself suddenly separated from them. As if this wasn't bad enough for her, she also discovers that she is pregnant and doesn't know how or why. To answer these questions, Zain goes on a journey that leads her to space stations and worlds, encountering people of the ugly, cruel, and kind variety, all the while hoping she can save her baby and also return to The Hive, her home.

I enjoyed this
Gretchen
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engaging Story

There was so much to love about this book. Zain and Matthew are interesting characters. Zain is a cyborg and a pregnant teen. She's also a mechanic. Matthew is a average Joe high school student who happens to be a master hacker. He's not overly likable at first, which actually makes him more endearing as the story progresses.
There's a lot of action and the story is well-paced. The end was a bit rushed but satisfying.
C Eaton
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
John Otte describes himself as the writer of "unusual stories of geeky grace" and The Hive delivers.

As the mother of a couple of avid readers, I'm always looking for compelling Sci Fi with a spiritual thread that engages the reader in compelling explorations of faith. The Hive takes us on that journey in a cool futuristic setting. It's a fun read and worth the ride.

BTW, I received an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Chris
Dawn King
Mar 18, 2016
Jean
Apr 30, 2017
  • A Star Curiously Singing (DarkTrench Saga #1)
  • Back Before Dark (Code of Silence, #2)
  • The Prince of Soul and The Lighthouse
  • The Deliverer (The Sword of Lyric #4)
  • The End of All Things (The Kinsman Chronicles, #1c)
  • The Battle of Castle Nebula (The Cendrillon Cycle, #1)
  • Of the Persecuted (Legends of the Woodlands, #1)
  • Tymon's Flight (Chronicles of the Tree, #1)
  • The Story Peddler (The Weaver Trilogy #1)
  • The First Principle (Emancipation Warriors, #1)
  • Space Demons (Space Demons Trilogy, #1)
  • The Greenstone Grail (The Sangreal Trilogy, #1)
  • Embers (Abiassa's Fire, #1)
  • A Plague of Bogles (City of Orphans, #2)
  • Scarlet Moon (Children of the Blood Moon, #1)
  • Merlin's Blade (The Merlin Spiral, #1)
  • Tales from the Half-Continent (Monster Blood Tattoo, #3.5)
  • The War for the Waking World (Dreamtreaders, #3)