Start by marking “In-Between Days: A Memoir About Living with Cancer” as Want to Read:
In-Between Days: A Memoir About Living with Cancer

In-Between Days: A Memoir About Living with Cancer

2016 Governor General's Literary Award Finalist

2017 Kobo Emerging Writer Prize Winner

2017 Joe Shuster Award Nominee

Teva Harrison was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer at the age of 37. In this brilliant and inspiring graphic memoir, she documents through comic illustration and short personal essays what it means to live with the disease. She confronts with heartbreak
Published April 23rd 2016 by House of Anansi Press

To ask other readers questions about In-Between Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In-Between Days

Start your review of In-Between Days: A Memoir About Living with Cancer
Samantha Mitchell
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I spent most of this book either crying, or screen-shotting the pages (read on my iPad), so I wouldn't forget all of the experiences Teva described that are the exact same as my own.

Also living with Stage IV, the feeling of hope-turned-sadness-turned-anger is so real for me. If you ever want a glimpse into my life, or anyone living with this incurable disease, read this book. It'll break your heart but you'll come out more compassionate, guaranteed.

**after reading a second time I cried less (ma
Canadian
Teva Harrison has written a delicate, beautiful, and honest memoir, interspersed with comics. (I had heard that this was a graphic memoir, but that is not strictly true. There is a nice balance of visuals and text.) Diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer at age 37, she had experienced deep, inexplicable bone pain for months before the painful breast lump pointed to what was really going on. Even though she had a family history of reproductive cancers--a great aunt and aunt who had died of metas ...more
David Schaafsma
A kind of hybrid prose and comics/cartoons memoir about the author's being diagnosed with (incurable) metastatic breast cancer at the age of only 37. One page has images, the next has an anecdote or reflection, and I guess I might have preferred more of one than the other.

I wasn't a fan of the illustrations (give her a break, maybe? While she calls herself an artist, this is her first foray into cartooning), but also in a way--I know this sounds crazy--I actually might have preferred her illust
Laurie Siblock
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diary-memoir
I am living with Stage 3 Ovarian Cancer, currently in remission. My preferable term for "in remission" is "cured". Teva describes my own experience so perfectly that I want to buy her book for everyone I know and when I give it to them I can say, "This is exactly what I'm going through". Although I have to acknowledge that, while Teva's Stage 4 Metastatic Breast cancer is incurable, my remission has a chance of really turning into "cured"; if I can make it to the 5-years-after-treatment stage wi ...more
Sharyl
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads
Teva Harrison's wonderful, touching work of art about her life, before and after her diagnosis of Stage 4 metastatic breast cancer, at the age of thirty-seven. Teva is an inspiration to everyone, with her profound expressions of living life to its maximum. I would recommend this to absolutely anyone.

I never would have found out about her on my own--I'm thankful for my bookish friends!
And--she has a blog.
Sardonyx
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Goodread's rating scale is 0 (did not like it) to 5 (it was amazing). I gave it a 5, because I've been reading it since yesterday and my stomach has been in knots and my eyes on the verge of tears since I started, heck, even as I write this review. Teva's honest descriptions of what her life is like living with metastases cancer just broke my heart into a million pieces as I read it. It gave me some serious insights and better understanding of what someone with cancer experiences. I wish her wel ...more
Meghan
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap. Will have to take a little longer to process Teva's book and what makes it so special, but wow. Met her when she was one of the featured authors of my local authors festival, and only picked up the book after I saw her on a panel. Now that I've read it, I need to meet and speak with her again. It's just lovely.
Regina
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My daughter won this book on Goodreads and passed it on to me to read. As a breast cancer survivor, I could relate to everything the author shares in her memoir. I loved how honest she is about her experiences and thoughts as she deals with metastatic breast cancer. Thanks to Teva Harrison for sharing her journey, and showing how to find beauty and hope while living with this disease.
Melanie
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I feel like Teva Harrison is a friend and an advocate even though she has no idea who I am. This book is fiercely honest. It's gentle, too. If you know someone with cancer or are someone with cancer, In Between Days might take away some lonely.
Suzze Tiernan
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hard to read, yet so full of hope. I pray for the author and anyone else living day to day with cancer.
Liv
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
So, this will sound silly, but I honestly didn't realize that this was a memoir about living with cancer when I purchased it. The purple text on the cover doesn't really pop out, and my thought process was literally, "oh, here's that comic by the woman from my work, I never met her but a lot of people I work with knew her - she died recently... I should give it a go", and I popped it in my bag without looking too closely.

My father passed away of terminal cancer last year, so reading this was ac
Susan
This was a very moving book. I definitely shouldn't have read this in one sitting, just before bed. The BRCA1 mutation runs in my family, and this book had me lying awake for a long time, thinking about the women in my family. I have a few friends who are currently living with stage 4 breast cancer, and this book helped me understand how they must be feeling.
Victoria Carney
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I wish I could give this book a 3.5 star rating but can't. It is really good and raw but something about the writing style didn't quite click with me. Many of the passages are painful, sad, and eye-opening and I still recommend this book especially to people who enjoy graphic novels. Quick read too- I read it in a day throughout my weekend of nonstop reading haha.
Jennifer Spiegel
I read cancer books for fun.
Kari
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Given to me by the author's sister - this graphic novel memoir about being diagnosed with cancer at age 37 shows heart from the first frame. I didn't know about Teva's journey before reading this - but felt like she took my hand and led me thru her world... I wish I had seen her while she was in Portland on the book tour because she felt like a friend by the books end...
Tova
Aug 16, 2017 marked it as minion-voice-eh-no
While I think this book would be great, I feel as if it's going to be too triggering personally.
Shelley Gibbs
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
A heartbreakingly raw, yet beautifully hopeful, graphic memoir about living with incurable metastatic breast cancer.
Lisa
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, oakland-library
I liked the creative format the author used for her story and expression of her experience. It’s raw, made me think a lot about mortality in the face of cancer through the author’s journey and without. Her story and the stories of her family members are full of hope, survival and the will to live.
rabble.ca

Review by Lauren Scott

"I occupy the liminal spaces, slipping between unnoticed. The hours of cancer are strange. MRIs at 3:00 a.m., pain at 2:00 a.m., capable one day, incapable the next. It's like living in the shadows," writes Teva Harrison in her debut graphic memoir In-between Days, which chronicles her life with cancer. "And so I take the spaces nobody claims and I occupy them in the best way I know how: living life with a sense of wonder and delight.
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
How do you write about cancer? How do you write about incurable cancer? And how do you write about Stage IV cancer? Teva, the author, approaches with sadness, and thoughtfulness, and the thoughts that one things when faced with all that.

She is an atheist. She joins a group of other stage IV cancer patients and finds she doesn't relate. She doesn't believe in the afterlife. She believes in kindness.

This book isn't so much a story of her life, but thoughts on that mortality of her life. How do you
Alexis
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
I've never read something quite like this before. Teva Harrison was in her 30s when she was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer, which is incurable. (There are different types of breast cancer and metastatic will spread throughout your body). Most people don't know that there are different types of breast cancer, and metastatic receives a very low level of all the funds allocated to breast cancer.

Anyway, this is a heartbreaking, honest and beautiful graphic memoir that talks about life and l
Laura Frey (Reading in Bed)
I actually wanted more illustration, and less prose, from this graphic novel, which is usually the opposite of how I feel. 2.5 stars. There were certain sections I loved, like the tribute to the female family members the author lost to cancer, but some of the sections were boring. The drawing style wasn't really my thing.
Devon
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a stunning book. I loved every vignette. I can't even begin to review properly because I feel like anything I say will pale in comparison to how well written each piece was. It's authentic and self-aware in a way I aspire to and I just feel grateful to have had this book given to me so that I had the chance to read it.
Sue
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This raw and honest book should be required reading for anyone dealing with a cancer diagnosis, especially those who are terminal. As a breast cancer survivor, I could relate to a lot of the situations that Teva Harrison writes about.
Linda
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Linda by: Shelf Awareness
Teva Harrison is diagnosed with a hereditary metastasized cancer when she is in her 30s. To help cope with her illness she drew pictures which she shared with her oncology team. With each picture she includes text that honestly expresses her feelings, emotions, fears, and joys.
Amy Stuart
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A stunning, moving, beautifully drawn and written memoir about the author's devastating diagnosis with metastatic breast cancer at the age of only 37. A book about cancer and fear and life and love that is at its core about hope. READ IT!!!
Rach
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A simple and honest illustrated memoir of Teva's reality of living with cancer. She doesn't shy away from the hard parts, but also takes time to highlight the ways she holds on to her hope and keeps going. Just because you are dying doesn't mean you can't live. Best of all, as she says in the preface, Teva gives voice to the fears that many terminal cancer patients have and encourages them to talk to their family, friends, doctors, and other loved ones. "I've since learned that it's the unspoken ...more
Kevin
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In 2013, 37-year-old Canadian artist Teva Harrison was diagnosed with stage four metastatic breast cancer that had also spread to her lymph nodes and bones. Her eloquent, moving and inspiring graphic memoir, IIN-BETWEEN DAYS, offers her space to sort through her past and come to grips with the realities of her present and future. "Living with metastatic cancer is like a game of Whac-a-Mole," Harrison writes. "There's no point trying to cut it out, because it will just keep popping up somewhere e ...more
Martha
At just under 160 pages, many of which are full page graphics that convey so much more than any words could ever say, Harrison packs a gut wrenching punch on every single page. No, this isn’t a light read, but it IS essential reading as far as I'm concerned- and I don’t say that lightly. You don’t have to be effected by cancer (directly or indirectly), in order to be inspired, touched, and just in awe of Teva Harrison’s journey, one which she continues on today and will do so for the rest of her ...more
Amanda
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, graphic-novel
I was moved when I heard the author read from this book and do an interview at the Ottawa International Writers Festival and I have finally gotten around to reading the book. I continue to be moved and am grateful to Teva Harrison for sharing her story, her life, her fears and vulnerabilities and her joys. I can do nothing to help, but I find myself rooting for her and all others who are dealing with health issues, especially incurable cancer. I am glad she has good people in her life, such as h ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Year of the Rabbit
  • A Revolução dos Bichos
  • Why My Cat Is More Impressive Than Your Baby
  • Frying Plantain
  • Had It Coming: What's Fair in the Age of #MeToo?
  • Albatross