Start by marking “Je m'appelle LIVRE et je vais vous raconter mon histoire” as Want to Read:
Je m'appelle LIVRE et je vais vous raconter mon histoire

Je m'appelle LIVRE et je vais vous raconter mon histoire

Quand Livre raconte sa propre vie, c’est une histoire de plus de 5000 ans qui commence !

Des tablettes sumériennes à l'arrivée de l'e-book, Livre présente avec beaucoup d'humour son autobiographie. Et sa vie se lit comme un roman ! Les 20 petits chapitres se savourent comme des friandises : Livre nous apprend qu'il a eu sa période rock and roll pendant des siècles, que
Published February 23rd 2015 by Nathan jeunesse (first published September 18th 2014)

Be the first to ask a question about Je m'appelle LIVRE et je vais vous raconter mon histoire

Start your review of Je m'appelle LIVRE et je vais vous raconter mon histoire
Lori
Super book by John Agard about books: the history from papyrus to e-book; the tools to make them; the social impact of the printing press and much, much more. This is an engaging in-depth look at all things bookish filled with wonderful observations, clever artwork by Neil Packer, and thoughtful quotes from throughout history.

I will recommend this to middle school and high school students who might enjoy a quick read about how books came to be and how important books are to life.
Kirsty
Book is a really different and interesting little read. It follows the history of the written word from stone tablet through to ereader in a really cute way. As a book lover I enjoyed it. As a social historian I loved it as you saw the impact the development of the written word had on the development of society.
Molly
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Educational and witty. An easy and enjoyable read.
Matt Shelter
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A charming meander through the history of books - from the earliest clay tablets to the ebook.
Dana
Short but interesting history of writing. I'm not sure how well this will go over with a younger audience, but as an adult reader I found it enjoyable enough.
Alicia Papp
A sweet little book about the history of books told by a book. Cute!
Dipali
If you know me, I love books about books! When I first saw this at a bookstore a couple of weeks ago, I was intrigued and excited. Book (alternatively published as My Name is Book) is a succinct summary of the history of books, as narrated by the book himself! The illustrations and quotes are great! While I largely knew most of the history, I did learn some new bits.
Gretchen
What a wonderful way to learn about the history of writing and bookmaking, from the book itself. I thoroughly enjoyed learning the history of the book (something I am passionate about) with the idea of the book telling the story. I think this would be a fun book to do as a read aloud with my class so they can see both the historical fiction that is woven in, the personification that adds such interest to a topic about history, and the interesting story of books themselves. One I will need to own ...more
Marie
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-booklist
Guyana

"Your life is a piece of clay: don't let anyone else mold it for you." Lao Tzu

"Let us break the seal which seals up holy things and give wings to truth in order that she may win every soul that comes into the world by her word no longer written at great expense by hands easily palsied, but multiplied like the wind by an untiring machine." Johannes Gutenberg

"I have always imagined Paradise as a kind of library." Jorge Luis Borges

"Whenever they burn books they will also, in the end, burn
Stephanie
I picked this book because who doesn't like a book about books? It was a short, but engaging read that essentially covers the history of books - from oral stories, through papyrus and printing presses. The book read a little like it was for adults, but short enough for kids, and got a little preachy at the end chapter about ebooks, but overall was enjoyable and a good intro to book history. Would recommend for anyone who loves books and wants to learn more about history!
Heather
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.**

Okay, so this was super fun to read! It was both entertaining AND educational! It's an "autobiography" from the point of view OF A BOOK! Book talks about their history, from tablets to papyrus to modern day printing to ebooks!

I LOVED this book. I learned things, and laughed out loud. It was short, but amazing! You should definitely read it! :D
Rebecca Watts
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am very glad I stuck with this to the end. Especially nice discussion of the evolution of the book -- right up and through e-books. A sweet love letter, of sorts, to "The Book". (Even though it's written as an autobiography!; ) )
Rahchell Cornish
A fun read, although some caution advised regarding the presentation of a mixed worldview. For young readers, there are themes and topics that would be worth discussion; reading the book may stir up a desire to find out if what is presented is historically true.
Pam
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The history of books as told from the book's perspective.
Starting at the very beginning - oral storytelling through the invention of the alphabets to printed formats and finishing with e-books.
Simple informative text told as an autobiography.
Pan Radek
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
pleasant afternoon distraction

not sure who's the target of this book? kids? will they get the reference to Germans during the reign of Hitler?

adults? aren't some conclusion and language too infantile most of the book?

hence 4 stars
Rochelle
This book is for every book lover. It is a history of books, written by a book. It is extremely clever! Seriously, if you love books, you do not want to miss this one.
Jenny
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The information this contains is very interesting but I didn't really warm to the idiosyncratic device of the storytelling.
Jennifer Strong
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, bookish-books
A wonderful walk through time with Book, narrating it's own history. Written with a friendly, conversational voice.
Anna Davidson
Loved this quirky little book that tells the history of the book, beginning with the development of the alphabet and ending with the ebook.
Jeri
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Found in the junior section of the library. A quick read about the beginnings of books! First person account “written” in the current vernacular!
Madi
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
3.5. I thought this was written in a really cute, yet informational way. I liked that Book was personified.
Joan Baslow-Temple
Delightfully fun little book for any bibliophile!
M
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wasn't it the Chinese who compared me to a garden in a pocket?
Kara Belden
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the cutest, quickest read! Perfect for any book lover!
Jacqueline
the voice in this was annoying and tried too hard to be poetic but I learned that “blurbing” a book comes from BELINDA BLURB. that’s worth the price of admission alone baby
Mona Randall
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting, full of facts and an entertaining read.
Angela Lewis
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely delightful little read. This is a book I'd like to buy for many of my friends.
Sherrie
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For book lovers, this is a wonderful book!
Mayela
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very short story about the book from the very beginning to a e-book soooo cute. Children book
Thehappymeerkat
I received this book (2016 paperback edition called 'My Name Is Book') for free from the publisher in return for a review. The following is my honest opinion on this book:

Ever wondered where books came from? What the history of the written word is? Well in this autobiography titled ‘My Name is Book’ our narrator Book will tell all.

This is a fun little book which I think everyone will love. Styled like an autobiography Book takes us through his/her/its history. Beginning all the way back when
« previous 1 3 next »

• Un mariage à Lyon
  • The Hallo-Weiner
  • Paroles d'Honneur
  • La sirène et la licorne
  • Bertolt
  • Bir Ömür Nasıl Yaşanır?
  • What Do They Do with All That Poo?
  • Le Cri
  • La nouvelle arche épisode 1
  • Les fleurs de grand frère
  • Shapes, Reshape!: A Minibombo Book
  • Grand père et la Lune
  • Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed
  • Do Cows Meow?
  • Animal Shapes
  • Alan's Big, Scary Teeth
  • Maisy's Food Los Alimentos de Maisy: A Dual Language Book
  • La relève (Bergères Guerrières, #1)
John Agard was born in Guyana and emigrated to Britain in 1977. He has worked as an actor and a performer with a jazz group and spent several years as a lecturer for the Commonwealth Institute, travelling all over Britain giving talks, performances and workshops. He has visited literally thousands of schools and enjoys the live contact and the joy of children responding although it can be hard ...more