Start by marking “The Sordid Promise (Breaking Insanity, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sordid Promise (Breaking Insanity, #1)

The Sordid Promise

(Breaking Insanity #1)

Can be read as a standalone.

When physical pain allows you to escape your reality; what do you do when the pain is no longer strong enough to quiet the emotional ache?

Diouana "Nikki" returned to her hometown six months ago to tend to her sick mother. She thought she'd left her "bagg/>Can
Published March 23rd 2014

To ask other readers questions about The Sordid Promise, please sign up.
Dirkje Abma It is not a stand alone. It is a trilogy, second book is: The Starkest Truth and the third book is: The Darkest Descension. You could stop reading…moreIt is not a stand alone. It is a trilogy, second book is: The Starkest Truth and the third book is: The Darkest Descension. You could stop reading after the first book, it does not leave you hanging, but the story continues and is worth of reading till the end. (less)

JaHy☝Hold the Fairy Dust
**** 4.5 "TALK DIRTY TO ME " STARS *****

***Warning: Contains graphic language, frequent graphic sex, violence, and very dark themes.****

A) Per the warning above , you can clearly see ---> THIS. BOOK. IS .NOT. FOR .EVERYONE. The Sordid Promise is dark,twisted and fucks with your mind.....BIG TIME.

B) If you enjoy dark, smexy and mischievous reads, this IS the book for you.....I hope.......and the less you kn
Candace
'The Sordid Promise' is the kind of story that will make you scratch your head and wonder WTF just happened. Although it starts off kind of slow and seemingly uneventful, it soon morphs into a mysterious, suspenseful head game. This book kept me guessing all the way to the end.

The hero and heroine were anything but your conventional lead characters. In fact, they were both pretty despicable characters in their own way. However, despite the unlikable characteristics of her two main ch
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
2.5--OMG...That Was FUCKED Up--Stars!!!

No for reals...that was a total

It's really hard to rate and review this book because honestly this is just not my cuppa. So I think a lot of people will like this one, just not me.

Where to begin...I actually really liked the first half of the book until it took a MAJOR turn for the crazy!

2.5--OMG...That Was FUCKED Up--Stars!!!

No for reals...that was a total

I don't even know what to say about the storyline. I am literally speechless at how fucked up it all was.

Eric...

Eric is a dirty talker. And let me tell you..it was HOT. But there is no amount of dirty talk that can make up for the sick and twistedness that is Eric.

No sir! I don't care how HOT Eric is. How big his cock is. How great he is in the sack.

And fast! Now it wouldn't be fair of me to place all of the blame on poor Eric. No....Nikki is pretty fucked up herself.

I'd love to tell you about the plot....but half the time I had no clue what was going on.

By the time I got to the end....I was stunned. Speechless. Shocked.

So....in wrapping things up.

If you...
(a) Like a good mind fuck...
(b) Like a lot of crazy OTT drama...
(c) Like a dirty talking hero with a big cock who is seriously SICK in the head...
(d) Like an equally SICK in the head heroine who is okay with all of the things mentioned above...and finally
(e) Are okay with death, a touch of fecal matter, pain play, among other things....

If not...consider yourself warned.
Beverly
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Sordid Stars!

I just finished this and I am literally like

I haven't read a book like this in a long time. I started reading this because I knew the main character was a dirty talker with a big cock

BUT

I didn't read anything about this book before starting it, I was pretty much being a total perv anclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
3 stars!

This review will be pretty short, partially because I don't really know what was happening half the time.

description

First, please heed the warning on the book - this is a psychological thriller. Any romance and erotica here isn't the primary focus, only secondary elements. This is an extremely well written story that I think hit the mark on the psychological part and I truly enjoyed all the messed up, jagged, and twisted parts; however, neither characters were likable, some scenes were just filled with over the top
ღFloღ the coffee addict
4 **disturbing** STARS

“You may be imperfect according to the world, but you're perfect in my world.”

You would think after this being my third read by Courtney Lane I would have a better grasp on what to expect and how to brace for impact. Well, I am once again completely stumped and at a loss for words. I don't even understand how one can write such devious, complicated and simply fucked up characters and situclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
****
Carla ☺Did I Say That☺
5 ***HELL YEAH*** Stars!!!
Holy Shit!!!...this was sooooooo good!!!!

Every time a book comes with a warning it instantly peaks my interest and I literally get excited...

this one was no exception!!!

***Warning:
The Sordid Promise tells the story of two individuals that were so wrong but completely right for each other..This was one of the most erotic mind-fucks Ive read in a long time!!!

Diouana..aka Nikki..is a witty...intelligent...smart ass chick..with social and suicidal issues and despite her downfalls she was a kick-ass heroine and...

Eric..aka ?...what can I say about this man..definitely had that Love Hate relationship with him...

He was a controlling...demanding..sick bastard..that had me like this one minute..

and like this the next..

and I couldnt get enough of it!!!..lol!!!

As for the plot..there's no easy way to describe what happens without spoiling the story..other than this was a dark and twisted tale that will have you on the edge of your seat!!!..With that being said go get this one ASAP!!!..Read it..digest it and bask in the glow of one of the best books you will probably read..I know I did!!!

BRA-fucking-VO Mrs. Lane..this was by far the best book Ive read this year and Ive read a few good ones..I'm in awe of your writing style as well as how real those bed boogie scenes were..not cookie cutter at all!!!..No doubt you have gained a fan..and I look forward to reading more of your books!!

Thanks so much for the recommendation Jahy!!! ;-)...This one is going in the GLOW-WORM hall of fame!!!
 photo imagejpg1_zpsb163c624.jpg

Type – Stand Alone/Part of Series
Genre – Dark Romance
Rating – 5 out of 5 Stars

Review
I don’t even know how to start this review because even after a few days of finishing it….my mind is completely fucked up.  I can only say – “Now this is the way a MIND FUCK should be written”.

I questioned constantly what the hell was going on…..I thought one thing but then it shifted to another scenario and then right backStars
IRomance
Recommends it for: Dark Readers, Mind Fu@ck Readers
Recommended to Wendy'sThoughts by: JaHy *SuGaR LuMpS* HaAARRRRRdy
4 Mind Feckery, Dark, No... Really Fecked Up Dark Stars
* * * * Spoiler Free
As I mentioned...I came to this book due to the tantalizing updates from my buds, Jahy, Carla and Carol to name a few...when they start flooding my feed with quotes of hot, graphic dirty talk.... it is like sticking Cheesecake in my face and saying, "come on a little bite won't kill your diet" yeah... tell that to a professional dieter, hahaha....so I gave into my dirty talk urge and began to read.

This book lives up to its warning:

Warning: Contains gr
Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie
4.5 WARPED STARS!

"Y-you're cruel and slightly sadistic."
"...and you love it, my twisted angel, don't you?"

The Sordid Promise by Courtney Lane, was sordid INDEED. The level of mind fuckery in this book was off the charts, I can't begin to tell you how dysfunctional the characters in this book were and I mean all of them. Our main character, Nikki, is a self harmer, she cuts and the only way she can controclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Akanksha❤ Søren♰
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Akanksha❤ Søren♰ by: ~Savannah~
So, I finally found the second book, though it wasn't linked on GR to the first edition.
~

Sometimes I second guess my mental stability when I love such dark books.

5 days later, I'm yet thinking about this book. Loved it.

Eric,

Nik,

One more book added to my favorite pile.

I loved this book.

Dark

Twisted

AMAZING!!!!!
Barbara
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Barbara by: JaHy☝Hold the Fairy Dust
Shelves: wow, hot, br, dark
BR with my girls ❤❤

So my BBC girl Barbara choose this for a BR and was rec by Jahy… I thought … what Im going to put myself in to again… LOL

But when I read the blur ...

***Warning: Contains graphic language, frequent graphic sex, violence, and very dark themes. First and foremost, The Sordid Promise is a psychological thriller***

I was sucked in because I love a mindfuckery!

photo tumblr_myrd6gBCel1r0gmz5o1_500_zps06d78ae9.gif
 photo tumblr_myrd6gBCel1r0gmz5o1_500_zps06d78ae9.gif

For me the story is all about mind manipulation … and trough it I have a lot "WTF is going on?!"

photo oie_21114011FHNDYVEh_zpseb45fab8.gif

Sex manipulation…

photo tumblr_m7htd47m2Q1rsda6po1_500_zpsb673e75d.gif

There are so many twists and turns that kept me guessing and wanting more, the scenes are extremely descriptive, the story contains some very deep matters, that may not appeal everyone, but at the end my mind burst!

photo image001358373588004wvexqe_zpsedd9a9a2.gif

This is not a romantic story, If you are not a fan of dark and twisted romances, psychological thrillers... don´t read it!

Jennifer Kyle
4.5 *SORDID* Stars

This is a cleverly crafted, intensely dark read. I was questioning everyone’s sanity and even my own for picking this book up but the ride was thrilling!

Nikki struggles with cutting and mental illness. She is on the brink of losing her mother to cancer when the story begins. The hot new neighbor/doctor in town is all up in her business…

[image error]

Eric at first seems forward but readers just you wait! He’s got a group of odd girls around him who all know more, he’s got SECRETS GALORE and is a complete MENTAL FUCK.

Is hibusiness…
[image
Brandi
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't even know where to start.
This was a crazy story.
My mind is all fucked up.

description

Diouana returns home to look after her dying mother. She has some problems, extreme social anxiety, suicidal tendencies, but she is intelligent and strong willed.

She meets her
aksana  -  4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42 -
2.5 Stars

First of all I want to say that this book isn't badly written. Its written pretty well. And it's def a good mind fuck story. I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of people who will enjoy. But I didn't enjoy it. Not the whole book anyway.

I really liked the first half. If I had to rate the first half I would give it 4 stars. But after 50% this book was just too disturbing for me. I didn't like the direction it took. I knew
Diana's
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dirty-talker, dark, cutter
4.5 What a Sick Fucking Ride Stars!!!!!

Blog Review Here...

photo 20053H9MI85_zps8bd9f222.gif

So the blurb drew me in and let me tell you I ALMOST called out sick cause I could NOT PUT IT DOWN!!!!!!!!!

photo 200NNSIQF1P_zpsf7a7d3c9.gif

Started off with Nikki flawed beyond possible repair.. She's a cutter on anti depressants and anti anxiety meds. She's basically bidding her time an
Kelli C ~ Jack Sawyer's Heart
Preface: This is a Psychological Thriller to extremes. It is a dark twisted mindf*** and crazy train romance. I am still not 100% certain as to what I read, all I do know is that Dr. Eric Brenton...

has to be one of the craziest mo-fo's I have had the pleasure of reading ever!
He is sexy as sin, confident beyond reason, and dominant to the extreme...he is also without a doubt NUTS!...

has to be one of the craziest mo-fo's I have had the pleasure of reading ever!

Poor Nikki Givens! This girl is a mess in her own mind. A recluse barely living. Existing under the guide of her dying mother. Her encounter with her new "neighbor" puts her life on a path to psychosis...or does it?

In a tale of manipulation by so many characters it becomes an absolute Blur...I felt as if I too was warped and sucked into the deceit and insane game of life that Eric and the late Mrs. Givens created. Were there real feelings?, were people for real?, were people dying?, was anyone sane? I do not think I was!!!

I will say Nikki did a pretty damn good job of surviving Eric and his ways! I give her credit, she was smart...maybe too smart...or perhaps it was the drugs, lol!

And as for Eric, he was evil, no way around that! He was sexy as hell with his sexual dominance, but even that could not make up for all the shit he did. He was BAD, no point in denying it. I want to believe that Nikki understood that and chose to forgive or better yet accept, but honestly I think Eric was so superb in his manipulation that she no longer cared. In a life where PAIN was her only pleasure...Eric became her addiction....her new need...her ONLY need. Good thing because there really was no one else left standing in the end! Happy ever after???? Who knows....

Anamarija
"Trust me, I'm batsh*t crazy" 4 stars
EDIT 01/12/14: New edit added because THERE WILL BE NO BOOK 2!!!

cry no gif
I had to make up a new category for this read too!!!:) It's called "batsh*t crazy"! This is the craziest, most unconventional book I've read so far!And the craziest I had to review! So far from any typical, sweet romance.

I had a hard time actually deciding on the stars for this!! Cause, it brought m
Kirsten
3...but still not sure...stars!

photo image.jpg1_zpsdprfskeh.jpg

Well, it's been well over 36 hours since I finished this book, and I still have no clue what to say or what I even think about it. So bear with me.

As your typical mindfuck read, there's not too much that can be said, but I'll try to give the basics without spoiling anything.

Let's see...
The depressed, socially inept, and reserved Nikki has moved back into her childhood home. Her mother has been stricken with cancer and is dying in a nearby hospital. She cannot believe she is
Silvana
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
description

An unstable heroine, a controlling hero, supporting characters with hardly any redeeming qualities, add many unexpected twists and turns and you get ‘The sordid Promise’

The Sordid Promise=== an engaging, addictive and dark novel that I couldn’t put down.

This book is one giant head trip- It’s not a book that is intended to make you believe in the power of love, love which can conquer all and bring on the redemption of flawed characters, however it is one of the most thought-provoking books I have read.

Eric is one hero who do
La-Lionne
*** 1 star for the potential it had ***

I read warning and sort of knew what I was getting myself into. I love me some dark read now and then, but this book was too gross and disgusting for me. Not my cup of tea at all.

Here are some key points that ruined the story for me:

- The male MC came on too strong from the very beginning and didn't ease up, but got worse, as the story progressed. I think the psychological aspect of the story would have been much more interesti
Lise *friends don't flag*
This one caught me totally off guard and made my head spin in pure craziness...

description

“Yeah, fucking hook, line, and sinker”

I simply devoured this deliciously disturbing mindfuck of a book. I can’t even recap the story. I will tell you that the actions of some of the characters were most definitely-
sordid:
sleazy, dirty, seedy, seamy, unsavory, tawdry, cheap, debased, degenerate, dishonorable, disreputable, discreditable, contemptible, ignominious, shameful, abhorrent

But I loved every twist, turn, WTF, who are you and what have you done moment.

Dsordid:
sleazy,
Barbara
RE-READ!

BR with Barbara! <3

description

OMG! WHAT HAVE I JUST READ????????

Nikki ღ Navareus
I enjoyed the hell out of this story. I was very sad when it ended. That being said; Best Ending EVER! Loved the story, loved the psycho mind fuckery of it all, loved the sex, loved the dirty talk, loved the twists and turns, the unpredictability, and I absolutely loved the ending. Just found out there will be a sequel too, so I AM STOKED! :)
Elaine
3.5 Twisted Stars
This was an intriguing little tale thats for sure.

When Nikki comes home to spend time with her ailing mother, little did she think that she would be drawn to and into her next door neighbours Eric's twisted world.
The thing is that Nikki has mental health issues, so meeting someone like Eric is maybe not the best thing for her to do.
But thats ok.... Eric is a doctor so he wants to help Nikki get back on track again.
This story will keep you guessing right up to the end.
Eric is manipulative, very good looking but is he all that he
Lisa *-* GiViNg It To YoU * LoCk StOcK & TwO SmOkiNg BaRrELs
3 StArS

How was it, you might well ask.....it was a total mind fuck...that's what it damn well was!!

I really should have hated this, but for some reason I just kept turning the pages as I was curious as to what was going to unfold.

Diouana "Nikki" agree's to her dying mothers last wishes. This included going round to her new neighbours house for a dinner party and getting to know her new neighbour.

Dr Eric Brenton, Nikki's new neighbour. He's cocky, good looking and unapologetic about his dirtier intentions, he sets his sights on Nikki wi
Michelle
5 My Mind Is A Mess Stars!!
“No one’s sane. That’s just shit you know. We’re all crazy. Some of us just hide it better than others. Some of us go crazy because we see the crazy in everybody else."
This is my first read by Courtney Lane and will not be my last. This woman had me up all night drinking coffee because I did NOT want to stop reading. I loved every fucking page!!
This book...was a total mess! Wait! Maybe I was a total mess while reading it. lol It fucked with my mind! I seriously
Selene
Genre: Romance
Overall likability of lead characters: 4/5
Erotica component: 5/5
Writing style: 4/5
Ex/OW foolery: (view spoiler)
Triggers: Yes. (view spoiler)

Nikki Givens is the girl next door. The very uncouth girl next door. Eric Brenton is the new addition to the neighborhood and also the new thorn in Nikki's side. They get into a heated ar
Carolina
Apr 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carolina by: Barbara
BR with my girls!! xD (Thank you two for understanding me... I know i can be a pain in the ass :P)

WARNING!! MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS
 photo dafuck_zpsa9d59125.gif

photo dafuck2_zps70e2fd1a.jpg

photo crazypeople_zps1ce7b0e0.gif

photo -dafuq-_zps12094e2c.gif

I'll go straight to the point...
This book didn't work as much as I wished, for some reasons... but here's the main for me:

- the fact that Eric was (view spoiler) didn't suprised me, AT ALL... was too obvio:P)
WARNING!!

• My Masters' Nightmare Season 1, Ep. 2 "Discovered" (My Masters' Nightmare, #2)
  • Therapist
  • Asylum
  • unStrapped (Strapped, #3)
  • Crazy
  • Return to Grace Street (Chapter 8, #2)
  • Held (Held, #1)
  • Chosen
  • Sinister Kisses (SKALS, #1)
  • Unbearable (Unbearable, #1)
  • Nights In Canaan
  • Terrorscape (Horrorscape, #3)
  • Capture (The Flesh Cartel #1)
  • Fragile Truths (The Shadows of Sin, #1)
COURTNEY LANE has been creating her own little world since she was very young.

While many of her works touch several different genres, she has an archetype when it comes to the female protagonists in her stories.

Currently, Courtney can be found either working on her next book, playing the latest role-playing game on her X-Box (preferably a game by BioWare), or spending time with her fa

Breaking Insanity (3 books)
  • The Starkest Truth (Breaking Insanity, #2)
  • The Darkest Descension (Breaking Insanity, #3)
“I'm going to fuck you, and it’s going to turn your world on its ass when I do. You will be so strung out over my cock, you’ll ache for it like a junkie.” 21 likes
“I want more. I need more. I want to be the one—the only one in your life. I want you need to me. I want you to pine for me. I want to own every single part of you. I want your mind, body, and heart to be exclusively and implicitly mine.” 16 likes