Start by marking “Love You Better” as Want to Read:
Love You Better

Love You Better

After a soul-destroying breakup with her ex, Smith, Effie Abbott has met the man of her dreams. She’s had the whirlwind romance and the fairy-tale wedding to the charming and suave Oliver Barton-Cole, and life seems firmly back on track.

Things were never simple between Smith and Effie, so when he forces his way back into her life, Effie knows he’s a complication she doesn’

Published October 1st 2015 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Love You Better, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love You Better

Start your review of Love You Better
Jules
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having thoroughly enjoyed Together Apart, I thought I’d have a go at listening to another audiobook by this author. I wasn’t as keen on the narrator this time. I loved Justine Eyre’s voice (voices) in Together Apart, so that was going to take some beating. However, I did really enjoy the story again. I wasn’t completely sure if I was going to get into it at first, but then I found myself listening to it all weekend, curious to know what was going to happen in Effie’s life and what mistakes or im ...more
Lacey
This book was a little hard to read emotionally. I will start with that. The book was very emotionally charged and had me in tears quite a few times. Effie's character is one who you can fall in love with, but also think "what are you doing"? I'm not sure I've ever read a book where I've wanted to kill a main character, but I really felt that way in this one. This book was wonderful, but a little too heavy for me.
Jeannie Zelos
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love You Better by Natalie K. Martin

Review from Jeannie Zelos book reviews

Genre:  women’s Fiction, Literature and Fiction.

Strange how fate works...I’ve just read two books that were romance, were about cheating and the effects it leaves and yet they were very, very different reads. Both kept me gripped to see what happened, had me totally unsure of just how they would end, and were five star reads. Not ones I’d reread but certainly a terrific one off read.
So poor Effie, heartbroken by Smith,
Kim
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Natalie Martin's Love You Better starts with the premise of what happens when the one who got away shows up at your wedding. That's what happens to Effie--Smith (the One Who Got Away) shows up at her wedding reception. She's just married Oliver--who is perfect on paper--the successful barrister from the right background who gives her life stability. She met Oliver one month after Smith left her and theirs was a whirlwind romance--within four months of meeting, they're married. But what Effie had ...more
Babus Ahmed
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Effie is marrying Oliver the man she's in love with but when her ex Smith turns up at her wedding he has an unexpected effect on her. However, as time elapsed in her marriage, Effie sees sides of Oliver that concern and ultimately frighten her. Can Effie find the strength to leave the man who has hurt her the most?

A gripping thriller read as you navigate the ins and outs of marriage and friendship with Effie who is also scarred by her unconventional upbringing. This book has episodes of adrenali
Rose Stephenson
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
great read
Jody
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review first posted on my blog: http://spoonfulofhappyendings.blogspo...

After a sudden and heart-breaking split from her now ex-boyfriend Smith, Effie Abbott certainly never thought she'd fall for someone else so quickly. Yet, Oliver Barton-Cole almost seems to be the perfect guy: he's handsome, classy and is head over heels in love with her. So, when he asks her to marry him after just a few months of being together, Effie says yes. After a fairytale wedding, Effie can't wait to start her new l
Dani
Nov 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Effie, heartbroken over a recent breakup with non-committal Smith, rushes into a relationship and marriage to some rich guy she just met 5 months earlier because he represents everything she wants- stability, a "normal" lifestyle, roots somewhere in the form of a house/mini-mansion, and someone fawning over her.

That is, until he shows his true colors starting the very next day, on their honeymoon. He almost immediately turns into a manipulative prick, trying to get Effie to change her style, ta
Samantha
Nov 04, 2015 rated it liked it
After recently breaking up from a relationship with Smith, Effie Abbot meets the man of her dreams, he's everything Smith isn't and after a whirlwind romance she walks down the aisle a month later to marry Oliver Barton-Cole a successful and wealthy barrister.

It's not too long into her married life that the cracks begin to show and Effie starts to realise Oliver may not be as perfect as she first thought. To complicate matters Smith has turned up again in her life and she's not entirely sure how
Sue Wallace
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love you better by Natalie k martin is a women's fiction and general fiction (adult) read.
A few months ago, Effie Abbott was left heartbroken; now she has everything she ever wanted. After a whirlwind romance and a dream wedding, she’s starting a new life with a new man. Oliver is caring, sophisticated and trustworthy – everything Smith, her reckless ex, wasn’t.
Jackie Roche
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Tracy at TBC and Natalie Martin for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest and open review.
This made such a refreshing change from my normal genre of murder and mayhem.
I could empathise with Effie so easily imagining how she felt when her ex turns up on her wedding day.
I went through the whole spectrum of emotions whilst reading this. One moment I loved Oliver and the next I hated him and wished something dire would happen to him.
All the chara
Eliza
May 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I actually read a romance novel without sex in it. I know, I’m growing.

What piqued my interest in Love You Better was the opening: Bride is confronted by past love on the night of her wedding. Great way to start off a first chapter! From there on, the reader is shifted between two worlds that belong to main character Effie: her marriage of convenience with a seemingly perfect man and her unrequited love for a bad boy who broke her heart. At some points during the story, I didn’t know who to roo
Irene
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Effie has a whirl wind romance with the dashing barrister Oliver after Smith ,lets her down badly. There are no surprises in this story and you wonder how anyone can be so gullible. I love the way it has been written, how Effie finally works out what she wants from life. Natalie covers domestic violence very well, not just physical but mental abuse too. It's true, you don't really know someone properly until you live with them! Congratulations Ms Martin on writing another great book and I hope y ...more
Isa Ch
May 07, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very boring and predictable.I really struggled to finish this book as the ending was obvious from almost the first page. Also the characters were unlikeable and very childish, acting like teenagers more than young adults.
Andi
May 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
I got it for free via Kindle for Samsung. I almost stopped reading it because I found it very predictable. I finished, but I can't say I recommend it. The domestic abuse angle made it interesting. I kept reading to see how the protagonist handled it.
Stephanie
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fantastic Read!

I couldn't put this book down. While I knew the ending from about Chapter 3, Martin grabs you, connects you to the characters leaving you reading quicker than ever to discover what happens. Hands down, Smith is my favorite character.
Sarah Roadley
tough subject matter but well-written and enjoyable
Susan
Jul 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
Boring

It started out ok, then it just got long winded and boring. I struggled to finish. I actually did not like the main character I found her to be plain stupid.
Andrea
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must say that this was the first book I have ever read by Natalie Martin and I loved it. It was beautifully written. The chemistry she developed between the characters were phenomenal. Even though we didn't get to read about the backstory between Effie and Smith, through thoughts and conversation, you get a sense of how close they were and what a great thing they had going. You could feel the chemistry they had. You felt her heart break when Smith showed up to her wedding to Oliver.
**SPOILERS*
Pip Snort
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Surprising

Effie and Smith were once friends, and then more, but he left and she found someone else. But everything wasn't happy ever after. This book was full of tension, and while it did not penetrate my feelings, it was well drawn and easy to follow. This book felt lived, while the physical beauty of the participants, was unreal, the rest of the story was quite realistic. Interestingly we never know what Effie looks like, her self reflection is all internal, not external. Not bad. =)
Adrianna
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting take on a contemporary romance

I enjoyed the contemporary take on a romance. The book deals with tough topics, such as domestic violence, and still is romantic and realistic. The ending is predictable, but I liked that fact. The well developed characters struggling with real life issues are easy to relate to. I truly appreciate the hopeful ending and afterward.
LeShai
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was drawn in

This book was so well written i found myself going from happy to annoyed to sad to pissed and back to happy. I felt as if i were watching a movie and found myself telling at the tv screen so to speak. I saw my sister, friend, and myself in Effie throughout the book & it made her all the more real. A great read!
Bonnie L Marincek
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Love Me Better" is about Effie's relationship with a carefree, old boyfriend, Smith, intertwined with an abusive, controlling husband, Oliver. Her best girlfriend, Lou, is there along side through all the turmoil and drama. Only Effie, though, can make the decision between these two men and most of the book revolves around it.
Pamela And Derek turberville
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great storyline

I enjoyed reading this. It was informative on how domestic violence can occur whether you are rich or poor. I would have liked to hear more details about what ultimately happened to Olly though. Maybe a second book?
Naomi
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Boring, predictable book...all the characters acted like teenagers...there was little to no character description so I couldn't picture what they looked like until a random line halfway through the book. It was a struggle to get through toward the end. Do not recommend.
Auntmolly
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nihika
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good one

This one kept me up all night. It was an interesting read. I would have loved a little bit of details about the aftermath but all in all it was good.
Elissa Jay
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Easy enjoyable read

Good escape for a lazy sunday afternoon read predictable but a good escape, good mushy chick book, worth the read
Jordan Maus
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Quick easy read. Nothing to write home about and was a little like a lifetime movie but with a more empowering character.
TIANE MARIE
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it , definitely a read!

Binged this story in a day! This story hits home being a domestic violence survivor and it was truly lovely.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dead Romantic
  • Three Perfect Liars: One Deadly Secret
  • My One and Only
  • Forever and One Day (Hudson River book 1)
  • Finding Me (Salty Key Inn #1)
  • The Girl in Seat 24B
  • The Lost (Paula McGuire, #1)
  • Legacy of Lies (Empire of Lies, #3)
  • Used (Omega Market #1)
  • Queen of Lies (Empire of Lies #2)
  • Reconnected (Connected #1)
  • Wait for Me
  • Forget Me Not
  • Stud Muffin (Donner Bakery, #2)
  • Season of Shadows
  • The Obedient Bride
  • Texas Hellion
  • Mean Streak
In January 2014, Sheffield-born Natalie Martin decided to leave her corporate job in London and experience the world—heading off on travels that would take her as far as Cambodia, North India, Goa and Thailand, and would change her outlook on life for good. Whilst travelling in India, her debut novel, Together Apart, became a #1 bestseller on Amazon charts. Love You Better is her second full-lengt ...more