Start by marking “Memoirs of a Dead White Chick” as Want to Read:
Memoirs of a Dead White Chick

Memoirs of a Dead White Chick

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  18 ratings  ·  12 reviews
It began as one of those days when I asked myself, what else could go wrong?
And then I died.
...
Eleanor, a harried, middle-aged White female elementary schoolteacher (and former police officer), begins her day by dying in the year 1999.

Somehow, while her essence is en route to wherever one’s essence goes upon death, she inadvertently ends up occupying the body of a 16-year-
Published August 11th 2015 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Memoirs of a Dead White Chick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memoirs of a Dead White Chick

really liked it 4.00  ·

Carol Kean
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Historical fiction, delivered in the form of an entertaining novel, is my favorite way to learn things our school teachers neglected to tell us. "Memoirs of a Dead White Chick" is filled with pains-taking research and rich, accurate detail that brings the past to life.

In a blog interview with author Dennis Green, Lennox Randon tells the true-life incident that inspired this story: in 1991 or 1992, at a museum in Houston, he saw an art exhibit of Jacob Lawrence paintings from 1939 and 1940 that f
Kasey Cocoa
I found myself intrigued by the premise of the plot and drawn in through the first few chapters. About half to three quarters through I found myself second guessing certain elements. Perhaps this is due to my rather logical way of thinking or perhaps it is due to a few far reaching elements I just couldn't accept. In any case, the book is well written and entertaining throughout. I feel the majority of readers who enjoy historical fiction or alternate history type books will enjoy this one. I di ...more
Lorri
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this book because the title intrigued me. this is the story of a 41 year old woman who dies and awakens a 16 year old black male in 1858. very quick read and entertaining. through everything Matthew encounters he changes history or does he. very fun read
Tony
Dec 22, 2015 rated it liked it
I am going to give this 3.5 stars. It started out with a bang and the clever factor is high. The afterward is pretty cool too. Some parts of it dragged on in the middle. For any history nerd, who also loves sci-fi, this is your book. Thanks Net Galley for the ARC. This is a winner.
Cheryl M-M
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A middle-aged white woman from our era inside the body of teenage black boy in the late 1850's. An interesting premise, and one I presumed would be written with the agenda of shedding light on the plight of slaves in America.

I expected Randon to make his point with a sledgehammer and leave no stones unturned and certainly take no prisoners. Instead Randon is subtle in his approach, and it actually does seem as if the story is written by a middle-aged white woman.

Randon depicts the struggle betw
Ionia
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I do not believe it is humanly possible to read this book and not love it. Historical fiction with a unique twist has always been one of my preferred genres, and this book filled that niche perfectly.

Here's what I loved:

Lennox Randon writes with such humour that I couldn't help but giggle out loud. This is the kind of book that you are better off reading at home, unless you want people staring at you as if you have lost your mind for the sudden outbursts of giggles it causes. It has been a whi
Teena in Toronto
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Eleanor is a white female 41-year-old teacher in 1999 in Houston. She is killed in a car accident on her way to school one day ... and wakes up in 1858 as a 16-year-old black man in Philadelphia named Matthew. Matthew's family is poor and he and father make a living on the docks. Even though she is now in Matthew's body, Eleanor still has her memories, speech pattern and knowledge, which helps Matthew get a job in an office. This leads him to become involved with abolitionists Harriet Tubman and ...more
Seton Rae
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A delightful mix of fantasy and historical fiction. "Memoirs of a Dead White Chick" follows the adventures of Eleanor, a forty-one year old white female schoolteacher who dies in 1999 and finds herself reincarnated as Matthew, an 18 year old black male in pre-Civil War Philadelphia. As the educated, opinionated Eleanor struggles to adjust to her new identity, young Matthew finds himself in an increasing heap of trouble, and on a collision course with major figures in the anti-slavery movement. E ...more
Theresa
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book, well written, and an imaginative story woven into history. I thoroughly enjoyed "Memoirs" and, if you are willing to suspend traditional notions of reality then this is a must read. Lennox Randon has created a particular environment and his main character, Eleanor turned Matthew, is especially engaging.
Karen
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book has a great twist on alternative history and time travel. The characters are unique and Eleanor/Matthew is constantly faced with new dilemmas. There are a couple of spots where the dialogue is a little rough but the plot and characterization makes up for that. Enjoy!
Book Bunny
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
My review can be found here: http://www.bookbunnys.com/2015/12/19/...
Kristy
Oct 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
While I think the premise of this book is interesting, it just didn't deliver. There were problems with characters being believable and a lot of the dialogue was cringe-worthy. Again, I do think the story is interesting, and I do think this author has promise - just needs a little more practice!
Kim Brosan
Nov 30, 2015
Maria Corley
Jul 19, 2016
Lennox Randon
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Jane
Lavonne Card
Dec 20, 2018
Layten
Jan 08, 2019
Lennox Randon is a graduate of the Houston Police Academy and The University of Texas at Austin with a B.S. in Education. He has worked as a police officer, technical writer, and teacher.

As of this writing, he is living with metastatic GIST cancer and promoting his historical fiction novel, Memoirs of a Dead White Chick.

Randon currently lives in Iowa with his wife Lileah.

His website, including mus