Start by marking “Much Ado about Macbeth” as Want to Read:
Much Ado about Macbeth

Much Ado about Macbeth

When drama teacher Paul Samson decides to put on a High School production of Macbeth, he forgets that it isn't just The Scottish Play, it is The Cursed Play. And Paul soon learns just how cursed. After grappling with his principal, the PTA, his family, and his students, he must contend with witches, ghosts, and skeletons from his past. The show is destined from the outset ...more
Published August 2015 by Tyche Books Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Much Ado about Macbeth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Much Ado about Macbeth

Start your review of Much Ado about Macbeth
Pat Flewwelling
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good clean fun, and an interesting insight into high school drama - in both senses of the word. Rather enjoyed the witches.
Robert Bose
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Cursed. High school drama teacher Paul Sampson believes his troubles are mundane, but little does he suspect that Macbeth is known as The Cursed Play for a very good reason. It ‘is’ cursed.

The cast of characters is substantial, and well fleshed out, but the witches steal the show. They bring a laugh with every scene and I’ll never see Dairy Queen in the same way ever again. They need their own book. They really do.

Randy McCharles spins a great yarn, and this is no exception. He blends the famili
Tereasa
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
While this a fun and light read, Much Ado about Macbeth is still well written and has a great plot that moves along. I've read a lot of this author's dark noir/mystery feel sci fi and gumshoe work - this is nothing like it and that's ok. You feel for Paul as McCharles has written him very all he is trying to do is get this play on stage, his students, and full and wonderful family life just fills out the character so well. I'd suggest this book to someone who worked in theatre, as a teacher, or ...more
Renee
Jun 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Don't mistake my three star rating for meaning that the book was objectively bad. I thought the book was really good. I really enjoyed the characters, especially the witches and Scarlett. I liked the theatre aspect of the novel, despite myself not being a theatre person. I would deffinetly reccomend this book to anyone who likes Shakesphere and theatre, or who has worked in the school system. It's a light-hearted read (with some ghosts and witches), that's really enjoyable.
My only reason for m
Marielle Armstrong
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read and re-read. Recommended to several friends. Now it has to go back to the library.

My usual rule is that I don't buy a book unless I've had it out of the library three times (lack of space after accumulating books for 60 years) but I am making an exception. I love Much Ado about Macbeth and am going to buy it and find room on my shelves - somehow.

I'd like to get it on my e-reader too, but haven't found it in e-book form, sadly.

Paul Preston
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Fun, quick novel. Good interaction between the PTA and the drama teacher although I don’t think there was ever a group of parents this large that was involved in what happens at the school.
Fun portrayal of Shakespeare’s Cursed play and the witches doing the cursing
Al Onia
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
For many, few experiences in life produce more angst than high school. Throw in the obligatory Shakespeare play and it became the worst, or best, time.

Now, imagine living through high school and the Bard for 2 decades instead of three of four years. Teachers suffer insecurity too. Especially trying to coax a group of apathetic drama students through audition, rehearsal and production of a play they don't really understand. Those are the obvious barriers to mounting a successful opening night.

Add
Suzy Vadori
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Much Ado About MacBeth was entertaining start to finish. Written from a high school drama teacher's point of view, we experience the growing pains of being an adolescent from arms length through his eyes. Throw in a healthy measure of magic, and a CURSE... and it makes for a hilarious set of events.

The mystery evolves with good pacing and lots of plot twists.

McCharles' characters are heartfelt and well-developed, bringing the reader right back into the halls of a high school, and sometimes, th
Lynda
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A jaunty tale in Randy's entertaining style. Any high school student or teacher -- and perhaps Dairy Queen staff -- can readily relate. School administrators maybe not so much. McCharles has a knack for blending the mundane and the fantastic without wasting time on "but shouldn't we call the police" scenes. His witches are comically self-absorbed in their villainy and autonomous in their motivations, stealing the agency of the story while consuming their weight in fast food. Proving that a Dairy ...more
Robert W. Easton
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What's old is new. It should be a daunting task to take an established idea, like the three (4) witches from Macbeth, and incorporate them into a storey. McCharles handled it masterfully, making the witches familiar yet entirely his own. They are hilarious and original, and as much can be said about the story itself. I thoroughly enjoyed the novel and read it quickly.
Celeste Peters
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun, cleverly crafted story. I especially liked the three hags in the Dairy Queen.
Pegi Ferrell
Aug 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I am willing to try this in print, but this is the worst audio book I've ever heard.
Wendy
Ryan McFadden
Dec 30, 2015
Angie
Jul 28, 2017

• Stories of Girls Who Science and Scheme (Brave New Girls, #2)
  • First Class: Dragon Hunters, Book One
  • Reflection
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
  • The School for Good and Evil (The School for Good and Evil, #1)
  • As Old As Time
  • Truthwitch (The Witchlands, #1)
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • Left Behind
  • The Life and Tragedy of Alexandra Feodorovna Empress of Russia
  • Legacy of the Dead (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #4)
  • Tudor: The Family Story
  • Watchers of Time (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #5)
  • Not Working: Where Have All the Good Jobs Gone?
  • Yes or No: The Guide to Better Decisions
  • The Girls
  • Acceptance and Commitment Therapy For Dummies
  • Search the Dark (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #3)
RANDY MCCHARLES is a full-time author of speculative and crime fiction.

He is the recipient of several Aurora Awards (Canada's most prestigious award for speculative fiction) and in 2013 his short story "Ghost-B-Gone Incorporated" won the House of Anansi 7-day Ghost Story Contest.

Randy's most recent publications include the 2016 Aurora Award shortlisted novel "Much Ado about Macbeth" from Tyche Boo

News & Interviews