Start by marking “Touch of Gold” as Want to Read:
Touch of Gold

Touch of Gold

WINNER of the 2017 Hackmatack Children's Choice Book Award!

When thirteen-year-old Jamie Francis’s parents divorced, she and her mother moved from Halifax to the small town of River Bend, Nova Scotia. Jamie doesn’t have any friends and isn’t sure how she’ll ever make any, but one day she comes across a neglected-looking horse in a field: a golden palomino she names Peach.

Af
Published September 2015 by Nimbus Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Touch of Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Touch of Gold

Start your review of Touch of Gold
Kerri
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm so glad I found this -- it is such a lovely book. It was the striking cover that initially caught my eye, and I bought it immediately. It's taken me a while longer than usual to read it, due to busy Christmas preparations, and I finished it last night after a very long day. I was so tired, but I managed to stay awake for another half hour so I could see how things turned out!

It all begins when Jamie finds a neglected palomino horse in a field, who she names Peach. I really loved the friendsh
Anna
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
LOVE. That is all I can say I'm speechless.
Sarah Butland
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
At thirteen years old, Jamie was going through a lot of changers in her life. After her parents divorce, she moved to River Bend, Nova Scotia with her mom and tried to start over. Although she was the main human character in this novel, she might have been overshadowed by her partner, Peach, the horse and that was a fantastic twist to the story.

As a shy girl, Jamie struggled to find new friends at school but befriended a horse and cat fairly quickly. Visiting them regularly and offering treats
Christine Meunier
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, horse, 2016
Thirteen-year-old Jamie has discovered a palomino mare in a field within riding distance of her new home. The mare appears hungry and lonely. Jamie quickly concludes she needs a friend as much as the shy thirteen-year-old does.

As Jamie visits the mare, feeds her snacks and grooms her, she starts to build a rapport with the golden equine. She decides to call her Peach. As she voices this thought out loud, an older gentleman informs her that Peach is a perfect name for her... more at http://equus-
Adora Swift
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This a great book about a girl and a horse (enough said?). As a woman who was once a "horse-crazy" girl, I found myself really identifying with the main character. We shared many of the same experiences of falling in love with a horse and learning to ride, which I'm sure are pretty universal and will resonate with anyone who has ever owned or wanted to own a horse. I had warm-fuzzy feelings the entire time I was reading. I highly recommend this book for any "horse-crazy" kids in your life.
Carrilee Eddy
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The familiar place names and the details about horsemanship were lovely. This made me feel as I did when I was a horse-loving child! I would like Ms. Gorham to write another, I'd like to keep in touch with these characters.
Jacqueline
Read this book because it was on the 2017 hackmatack fiction list. I'm handing it over to my girl because I'm sure she'll enjoy it.
Karen Upper
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this narrative and being introduced into the competitive world of show jumping! The story flowed well and the characters were well developed. Courage, determination, problem solving, and the love of an animal will endear any reader to this touching coming-of-age book! A wonderful debut novel by Gorham!
Recommended!!!
Apr 03, 2016
Destiny Bartlett
Mar 09, 2016
horseygirl 123 =.)
rated it did not like it
May 16, 2018
Roxanne
Joanne
Debbi DuBose
Sep 02, 2015

• 11 Before 12 (Friendship List, #1)
  • The Minor Third (The Magic Misfits, #3)
  • The Second Story (The Magic Misfits, #2)
  • Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library (Mr. Lemoncello's Library #1)
  • The Whispers in the Walls (Scarlet and Ivy, #2)
  • The Lights Under the Lake (Scarlet and Ivy #4)
  • The Dance in the Dark (Scarlet and Ivy #3)
  • As Brave As You
  • The Last Secret (Scarlet and Ivy, #6)
  • Loki: Where Mischief Lies
  • The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6)
  • Tales from a Not-So-Dorky Drama Queen (Dork Diaries, #9)
  • The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4)
  • Adventures of a Young Naturalist: The Zoo Quest Expeditions
  • Rose Rivers
  • The Secret Garden
  • Ella Enchanted (Ella Enchanted #1)
  • The Littlest Bigfoot (The Littlest Bigfoot #1)
Vivien Gorham has been writing stories and riding horses since she was eight years old. Raised in Minneapolis, Minnesota, she has worked in the Northwest Territories, Alaska’s Denali National Park, and on a dude ranch in Montana. She now lives in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada with her family, two fluffy cats, and a dog called Niska. Her favourite childhood horse books are The Horsemasters (1957) ...more

News & Interviews