Start by marking “Within a Captain's Hold (Captains of the Scarlet Night, #1)” as Want to Read:
Within a Captain's Hold (Captains of the Scarlet Night, #1)

Read Book

Within a Captain's Hold

(Captains of the Scarlet Night #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  59 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Captain Jaxon Steele is a tall, sun-bronzed, fierce-fighting Pirate King. He and the notorious crew of the Scarlet Night are both feared and respected for their ruthless reputation. The Captain’s only love is the open sea and the ship he calls home. When it comes to women, he has three rules: never sleep with another’s wife, don’t take virgins into bed, and most importantl ...more
Published November 24th 2015 by Lyrical Press

To ask other readers questions about Within a Captain's Hold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Within a Captain's Hold

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Bambi Unbridled
So there's this evil duke, more like a batshit crazy duke if you ask me. The evil duke is sadistic and likes to hurt women and the sight of blood stirs him, particularly in the nether region. He was a great villain, a somewhat schizo Jack the Ripper type character. You don't see many of those in modern historical romances. So the evil duke has set his sights on the virginal Lady Annalise with the fiery red hair, and he won't take no for an answer.

In a last ditch attempt to keep out of the evil
Sissy's Romance Book Review
This is the first book in the series "Captains of the Scarlet Night". This is also my first book that I have read of Lisa A Olech. I have found my self in love with her writing. I loved the whole story of this book and usually I am not one to like a pirate story but I could not help but love this one!! Our poor heroine, Annalise Gatherone, is having to run for her life after a madman has set his sites on making her his wife. The madman is a Duke and has killed her Uncle to ensure that he gets he ...more
Zoe
it's not a bad book for someone who is just starting to read the historical romance genre. I found it interesting but after 3 chapters I was rather bored. I don't know why, it's just there is no pull in the story, even though the writing itself is not too bad. the flow too forced the passion too bland. I won't give it a rating because I decided to stop at 28%.
Chris Torretta
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This has it all, drama, passion, romance, intrigue, a sexy pirate, and a determined woman! I didn’t want to put this down!

It all starts because Annalise is running from her enemy, a dreaded and quite evil duke. The man has no morals and is said to have killed his wife. Annalise has no family and only one friend but is determined to set herself free. She thinks the way to do that is to stowaway onto the Scarlet Night.

Enter sexy pirate! Or to be technical privateer, but sam
Lisa
Sep 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Annalise has been threatened by a vicious duke and she needs to escape. She stows away on the Scarlet Night in hopes of sailing to a far away land. When she is found by Captain Jaxon Steele, he knows that she can’t be seen by his crew so he keeps her within his hold. As the days at sea pass, so does their respect for one another, and soon, their love.

This is an easily read story; and it’s a good book for an occasional or beginner reader of this genre. If you’re a long time avid reade
Carmella
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest opinion.

Annalise has been promised to a Duke in marriage and she must escape him. He has been known to do terrible things to women and his last wife vanished. She has decided to stow away on a ship going to Port Royal, where her maid/friend Alice will meet her and hopefully they will be able to live a normal life without fear.

Anna is discovered on the ship by the Capt. Jaxon Steele and Cookie, the Cook. She has been injured in t
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lisa A. Olech sails off to an outstanding start to her new Captains of the Scarlet Night series in Within A Captain's Hold! This book took off from page one and had no lulls. Well-drawn characters that brought an added dimension to an already well-plotted tale combined with this author's fabulous writing skills sealed the deal on this great story. Each member of the cast in this novel contributed an interesting layer to this work bringing to life the pages of this epic adventure. Feelings rangin ...more
Megan
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC book from Kensington Books for an honest review.

I have never read any kind of pirate book. I had a little bit of trouble with the dialog at first but after I got use to the way they spoke I loved it.

Anna is running away from an insane man who wants to 'own' her and she ends up as a stow away on The Scarlet Night. Jaxon Steele (the captain) wants nothing to do with her at first and plans on dumping her off at the first port. But he finds that he isn't able to let her go. They
Julia DeBarrioz
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pirates
This was great piraty fun, I enjoyed it. The author tells a good historical romance tale without shrinking from the nitty gritty of what life what like for a privateer in 1680. I also appreciated that she didn't succumb to the romance tale formula of torturing the reader with the hero and heroine fighting over every stupid little thing until the end when they make their great reconciliation. Anna was a genuine lead dame, I liked her a great deal, and Captain Jaxon was dreamy too. The villain, a ...more
Midwest Romantic
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it

Originally posted on my blog Live Laugh & Love Books

I liked Jaxon and Anna!!! Their love for one another was just great. I felt the emotions as I was reading this book and I have to admit I became a little jealous. I also like all the other incredible characters as well.

Just a great story and wonder writing! I certainly recommend this book because I really believe it will be enjoyable to read!

*I received a complimentary copy of the book from Netgalley
Lucinda Race
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. The action kept me on the edge of my seat and Turing the page. I've already dowloaded Within a Captains' Treasure -

Great story and just the right amount of heat.
Katherine McLellan
A good pirate romance! Strong characters and nice twists!
Adria's Musings and Reviews
Originally posted on Adria's Romance Reviews
* A copy of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley for the purpose of an honest review. All conclusions are my own responsibility and I was not compensated for this review.

As a Pirate King, Captain Jaxon Steele has to make sure that he remains in charge of his ship, the Scarlet Night, and his crew. His ruthless reputation makes him both feared and respected by all he meets. Then Annalise Gatherone is discovered aboard and things st
N. Kuhn
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, pirates
What an exciting tale. I loved every minute, every page. Jaxson Steele, the name in itself sounds sexy as sin. But throw in that he's a pirate, his hotness just jumps up the scale. When he finds stowaway Anna on his ship, after a massive storm, he sees a side to himself he never thought existed. The tale is exciting, the romance is real. With each page I turned, I wanted more. When it comes to pirate novels, this was fantastic, and heart warming.
Tara
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads, pirates
Annalise is on the run from an evil duke who wants her at any cost. She ends up on Captain Jaxon Steele's ship and when he discovers her in the hold of his ship, that's when the real adventure begins. Annalise and Jaxon somehow end up married, but before they can truly enjoy each other, the duke shows up and he's ready to murder someone, mainly Jaxon.
Katherina
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Honestly speaking, I had a bit of a hard time getting into the book, I was tempted once or twice to abandon the book. I decided not to and ended up actually enjoying the book. For more romance reviews, check out my website:https://katherinasbooks.wordpress.com
Nicole
Sep 08, 2015
Jessica Stefanus
Apr 05, 2017

• Desperate Hearts
  • What a Lady Most Desires (Temberlay, #3)
  • Twilight Dreams (Morgan Creek, #2)
  • The Dark Knight (Montagues, #4)
  • Earl Interrupted (The Daring Marriages, #2)
  • My Lady Pirate (Heros of the Sea, #3)
  • The Danger in Tempting an Earl (At the Kingsborough Ball, #3)
  • Texas Mail Order Bride (Bachelors of Battle Creek, #1)
  • Comanche Woman (Sisters of the Lone Star, #2)
  • The Following Sea (Dante Pirates, #3)
  • The Highland Dragon's Lady (Highland Dragon, #2)
  • Bite at First Sight (Scandals with Bite, #3)
  • Highland Spitfire (Highland Weddings, #1)
  • Happily Bedded Bliss (The Rakes of Cavendish Square, #2)
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
  • A Christmas to Remember (The Lost Lords of Pembrook #2.5)
  • A Momentary Marriage (Montclair-de Vere, #2)
  • Emma And The Outlaw (Orphan Train, #2)
Lisa is an artist/writer living in her dream house nestled among the lakes in New England. She loves getting lost in a steamy book, finding the perfect pair of sexy shoes, and hearing the laughter of her men. Being an estrogen island in a sea of testosterone makes her queen. She believes in ghosts, silver linings, the power of a man in a tuxedo, and happy endings.

Lisa would love to hea

Captains of the Scarlet Night (5 books)
  • Within A Captain's Treasure (Captains of the Scarlet Night, #2)
  • Within a Captain's Fate (Captains of the Scarlet Night, #3)
  • Within a Captain's Power
  • Within a Captain's Soul  (Captains of the Scarlet Night #5)