Start by marking “The Unmoving Sky” as Want to Read:
The Unmoving Sky

The Unmoving Sky

There is nothing darker than the woods, until you meet your worst fear.

Jackson Bower has a lot on his mind lately. His younger brother hasn’t been the same since his mother’s death. His father’s drinking is out of control. Then there’s Jackson’s girlfriend and the grief that ties them together even as it threatens to drive them apart.

He distances himself, hoping for a litt
ebook
Published May 16th 2016 by Leap Books, Shine Imprint

To ask other readers questions about The Unmoving Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unmoving Sky

Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn HamiltonBlackhearts by Nicole CastromanThe Girl from Everywhere by Heidi HeiligEver the Hunted by Erin SummerillThe Crown's Game by Evelyn Skye
YA Debuts 2016
258 books — 1,445 voters
Beware the Little White Rabbit by Shannon DelanyRacing Hearts by Laura LascarsoHalf-Life by Tina FerraroKiller's Instinct by Dawn DaltonThe Case of the Invisible Witch by Patrice Lyle
Leap Books Titles
34 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

jessica
i won this book in a GR giveaway!

even though the story was fast paced and a quick read, i didnt love it. but i didnt hate it either - it lands just somewhere in the middle for me. it felt like a book you would read if you wanted to pass the time, but unfortunately nothing more.

Uyen
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: review-copy
Thank you to NetGalley and Shine Publishing for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review!

I'll start by saying that it's difficult to speak about the positives and negatives of this book without revealing any spoilers. However, I've reviewed this to the best of my ability without revealing anything that the blurb does not...

It takes an incredible skill to make me feel genuine emotions within a limited number of pages. Just check out my review of The Sidekicks by Will Kostakis.
Ellyn   → Allonsythornraxx
June 2016
2.75

The Unmoving Sky is a YA novella, so naturally it's quite short. This novella is about two brothers; Jackson and Arthur (Artie) and their problems and adventures in the wilderness. Jackson and Artie are dealing with the loss of the mother, an emotionally shut off father and girlfriend problems. Though, this all seems like nothing when Jack and Artie get stranded in the woods miles from home in the middle of a downpour of rain. they are then found by a strange bushy man who leads the
Kat
Jul 23, 2016 rated it liked it
If you are looking for a really quick read or a book to help you out of a reading slump, this may be perfect for you. With only 98 pages, I flew through this book within two hours.

We get to follow two brothers through a hunting trip with their father. This book as a whole is more of an outdoorsy read (which could also be great for any trip into the woods) without it being too dominant of the story. There is a subtle struggle with the idea of environmental issues and hunting beliefs. Of course, o
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
I received a copy of this from netgalley for honest review.

This is a pretty short book and a quick read. The pace was consistent all the way through.

Jackson and Artie are brothers staying in the woods with their distant alcoholic father. They wander away and get lost during a heavy rainstorm. Artie ends up hurting his ankle pretty bad in a bear trap and he can't walk much. An older man finds them and takes them in. He's been living in a cave for years and the boys find papers and bomb making mat
Kiersten
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-read
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my review.

Jackson and Artie live with their abusive father, and Jackson does his best to protect his brother. Their mom died a few years before and that's when this new father emerged. Jackson is growing numb to things, unsure what his future could stand for and what he could do. In the middle of a terrible rainstorm Jackson and Artie are lost in the woods, Artie struck with a critical injury.

This is a wonderfully unique and well-writ
E.M. Fitch
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
In a moving tribute to brotherly love, impossible decisions, the promise of youth and the tragedy of growing up too soon, The Unmoving Sky is a page turner of survival and adventure. The main characters, Jackson and Artie, came alive on the page and the details of their shared pain was heart-wrenching. The detail of this novella speaks to the talent of the author. In every scene I could smell, see, feel the environment described; it was visceral at times and completely sucked me in. My one compl ...more
C. B. Whitaker
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had fun previewing an advance reader copy of K.L. Hallam’s suspenseful debut novella, THE UNMOVING SKY. It was a quick read that kept me on the edge of my seat throughout. From the start, the set-up is ripe for action: brothers Jackson and Artie run off into the woods to escape their drunken dangerous father, but they get lost and take refuge in a cave to wait out a storm. I won’t recount much more to avoid spoilers, but someone else is hiding out there, too, and the tension ratchets up even f ...more
Karen T.
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A truly GRIPPING read!
From the first page Hallam’s The Unmoving Sky is a page turner. The story of two brothers suffering unimaginable loss at the death of their mother, The Unmoving Sky shows how heartbreak and loss can affect even the closest of families in different ways. When the boys travel with their father to the family cabin in the woods, the story takes a dark turn when the boys get lost only to find themselves at the hands of a hermit who has set up home in a cave. Adventure, suspense,
Angela
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: tweens and teens
This book is an adventure about two brothers lost in the woods. As they face life threatening obstacles, the protagonist, Jackson, reflects on their family life, the death of their mother and the emotional distance of their father. Although it has serious themes and flawed characters, it has positive messages about being true to yourself and facing diversity.

The characters are in their teens but this book would also be enjoyed by middle school-aged children who are ready for more mature themes a
Monique
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received a copy of this book for free through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

This is a really short book set in the wilderness so of course, a mini adventure ensues. Jackson and his brother Artie are dealing with the emotional aftermath of the death of their mother, a distraught and hardass father, a clingy yet loving girlfriend and a strange man who lives in a cave.

As this is so short, I'm not sure enough happened for me to be able to give it a higher rating but it definitely is a
Laura Bakker
I received a copy from Netgalley in return for a honest review.

I really enjoyed reading this novella. The description of this book really intrigued me to read it and over all it was a good story. There were still some grammar mistakes in it though! I would have liked it if there was more background and character building on Gunther. I'm glad that the ending wasn't super fast-paced, it was good. I really liked the characters, especially Artie!
Medeia Sharif
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jackson has a lot on his plate with grief over his deceased mother and his father's alcoholism. The story intensifies when Jackson and his brother encounter someone in the woods who wants to destroy the town. The dangerous wilderness situations blended with the emotional landscapes of the characters make this both a quick read and a page turner.
Joanne O'Sullivan
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful, suspsenseful story! This book had so many elements I love: the relationship between brothers, boy vs. nature, survival, unlikely friendships and gorgeous writing. It's a quick read, but an example of writing that can pack so much into a lean, nimble narrative. It's centered on boys, but it's not a 'boy book': it's for anyone who loves a heart-thumping, but heartfelt read!
Jen Malone
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Congrats to my fellow #MGbetareaders author on her chillingly suspenseful debut novel! I loved how the stakes just kept increasing and the pacing was terrific.
Corabel Shofner
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
K.L. Hallam ramps up the emotions and the tension in this fast pace story.
Judith Graves
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's Gary Paulsen meets John Green in this YA survival novella with loads of feels.
Harold Walters
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A GoodReads GiveAway

An enjoyable short novel, written with teenaged boys in mind.
Alyssa (teenreadfiend)
Jun 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received a free ARC copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a honest review. My review can also be found on my blog: Teen Read Fiend

I became interested in this book immediately when I read the synopsis for it, and I did end up quite liking it. The main character, Jackson, is incredibly interesting and I was constantly trying to figure out more of his backstory. Other supporting characters, such as Artie, were likable and/or interesting as well.

My biggest problem with the book, however
Amanda Searcy
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The author does a great job of creating a sense of foreboding as you follow two boys lost in the woods and their unlikely savior--or is he? It will have you hanging on until the shocking, poignant ending. The relationship/conflict between the boys and their father is also interesting and well-developed. A creepy, enjoyable page-turner!
Laurie
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
OMG! Wow! I've had the pleasure of reading some of Karen's other writing. But this one I hadn't read yet. It was very different in a very good way! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time wondering what was going to happen. Bravo Karen!! Such a pleasure to read. Great suspense! Awesome novella.
Ella Schwartz
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Congratulations to debut author K.L. Hallam on The Unmoving Sky! This book was a quick read. I was so nervous for Jackson as I made my way through the story! The pacing was great and the stakes kept growing! A great read!
Jessika Fleck
SerialReader
rated it it was ok
May 16, 2017
K.L. Hallam
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
alex kossi
May 16, 2016

• Isabella's Libretto
  • The Arrival of Someday
  • The Castaways
  • One More Day
  • The Woman Who Knew Too Much (Nora Baron #2)
  • I Love Him, I Love Him Not (Westgate Prep Book 2)
  • Gold Medal Winter
  • The Gem Thief
  • Heartsick
  • Puzzle Pieces
  • Defender
  • Crow's Rest (Faerie Crossed Book 1)
  • Barefoot in the Dark (Samantha and Rick #1)
  • All Her Secrets
  • In Another Life
  • Dark Signal (Kate Fox, #2)
  • Copycat
  • In Place of Never
K.L. Hallam moved around to more schools than she can list, gathering the stories that would connect to her heart. She writes MG, YA, and short fiction, or anything she hasn’t tried, a member of SCBWI, a singer, and songwriter, illustrator, and mother of two teenagers. She lives in New York City and spends her mornings writing in a Jazz club.