Start by marking “The Price of Scorn: The Evil Stepmother (Cinderella #4)” as Want to Read:
The Price of Scorn: The Evil Stepmother (Cinderella #4)

The Price of Scorn: The Evil Stepmother (Cinderella #4)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  23 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Fairy tales do not always end happily. Cinderella Series - The Evil Stepmother
Did you ever wonder why Cinderella’s Evil Stepmother was so vile? So mean?
Fourteen years after Prince Charming and Cinderella are crowned as Chalmers King and Queen, Cinderella, Pricilla and Esmeralda gather at their mother’s deathbed.
Lady Hildegard Roche has nothing but resentment and scorn for
Published August 27th 2015 by Kathy L Wheeler

To ask other readers questions about The Price of Scorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Price of Scorn

Linda Walters
Aug 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I have read the stories of the Princesses: Cinderella, Pricilla and Esmeralda. I never dreamed that there would be a story about their mom and step mama (the evil one). Didn't see that one coming and when it did, I wanted to read it! Wow. What a story. How much abuse and loss can one woman stand? It really tugged at the emotions. Twists and turns kept happening, none of them working in a good way for Hilda. More than once she wished for death. Betrayal every where she turned; it caused her to ha ...more
Paula
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Brother's Grimm would be so proud to know their evil step mother creation from Cinderella has finally found her history revealed! In this 4th book in the series - The Price of Scorn - book iv: Cinderella's Evil Stepmother, the barbarous, savage, inhumane life experience of Cinderella's step-mother unfolds leading the reader to discover empathy with this most unsympathetic of iconic characters. The brutal back story to the evil step mother, LADY HILDEGARD BERGENOIR SIMMON ROCHE, helps to expl ...more
Kameron
Sep 10, 2015 rated it liked it
(request submitted by author for an honest critique)

According to the back cover of The Price of Scorn, Kae states this story was for readers young and old. I do think that's true to some degree; as in aimed towards the more "mature".

IMHO: I don't think certain aspects of The Price of Scorn are suitable to the younger crowd (HS and younger). There were parts which I wouldn't allow a teenager to read. For me, I wouldn't feel comfortable allowing my child to read about men forcing themselves upon
Frank Scozzari
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone has a back-story. Believe it or not, even Cinderella’s evil stepmother! In The Price of Scorn, Kae Elle Wheeler humanizes the infamous woman who we all grew up hating. When reading this book, I had to stop occasionally, and reflect because of the empathy I felt for this woman. Poisoned by love and fate, Lady Hildegard Roche is a product of everything that can go wrong in a fairy tale.

Fine writing and clever character development brings into light a new chapter in this classic fairy tale
Victoria Newman
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is a great book to read
Lora Shouse
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are reasons for everything.

In this book by Kae Elle Wheeler, we find out how Cinderella’s evil stepmother got to be so evil. The exact time period of the story is not clear, but it doesn’t really make much difference. The factors contributing to Hildegard Bergenoir Simmon Roche’s unhappy life would have been similar over a period of several hundred years.

She seems to have been a relatively nice young lady to begin with, and appears to have been beautiful in the beginning. But she had the m
M.J. Schiller
NO SCORN FOR THIS READ! I couldn't wait to get my hands on this one because I found the whole concept of discovering the evil step-mother's backstory intriguing--and I was not disappointed! First off, I LOVE the title! It really makes you think, what was the price that Hilda had to pay? And Kae Wheeler did an excellent job of illustrating the precarious position women in earlier times were in. They had no way to support themselves, so had no choice but to marry for their survival. Sometimes they ...more
Coleen
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After reading this book, no one would ever feel the same about Cinderella's evil stepmother! She would still be evil and mean and nasty to 'Ella' admittedly. But this book provides the reasons for her outrageous behavior. Her life, her parents, her husbands, her mental procsses. WOW. I started reading and must confess that I found it to be a 'page turner'. I kept turning pages until I was finished. It is not a long book - just under 200 or so, and an easy read.

I won this intriguing book in a Goo
Helen Henderson
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well-written prose with good description takes you to a different place and time.

Fairy tells don't always have a happy ending. Wheeler takes takes this premise and contrasts the stepmother's horrific experiences with men with the happily-ever after ones of Cinderella and her step-sisters. Be forewarned -- this is not a sweet romance. Although not graphic, the story contains men behaving badly which can be upsetting to some readers.

Carol
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Story of the Evil Stepmother

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Having read the previous books in the Cinderella series, I could not wait to read this one. It really explained a lot about why Cinderella's stepmother was so cruel. She had a hard life.
All in all, I enjoyed reading this book very much. I couldn't put it down.
Haley Lossing
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

I received a copy of this book for free in exchange for an honest review. It's beautiful and a unique twist on a classic story. I would recommend for any lover of fairytales. Can't wait to read more from this talented author. :)
Wayne
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
well written book, a little on the dark side.. Fairy tales do not always end happily. Cinderella Series - The Evil Stepmother
Did you ever wonder why Cinderella’s Evil Stepmother was so vile? So mean?stepmother on her death bed, resentment and scorn.. thanks goodreads for free book
Drewsheltie Sheltie
I liked all 4 of the books in this series. I nice retelling of the Cinderella Story.
Rochelle Robinson
Roxanne
Emiley Allen Bowes
Dawn
Goodreads Librari...: Please change cover 4 20 Sep 11, 2015 07:24AM
  • Josie Jameson and the Stone Witch (The Stone Witch, #2)
  • Secrets of The Tally
  • Walking with Jesus Through the Old Testament
  • God’s Plan of Creation: Written for All God’s Children Who Want to Know and Are Not Afraid to Think
  • Felicity The Dragon
  • Jurassic Park: the Junior Novelization
  • Happiness is a Smoking Gun (Clarissa Spencer Cozy Mystery #1)
  • Living in the Spirit: Paul's Timeless Message to Christians
  • Long Promised Road: Carl Wilson, Soul of the Beach Boys: The Biography
  • The Heaven Promise: Engaging the Bible's Truth About Life to Come
  • Behind the Curtain: An Insider's View of Jay Leno's Tonight Show
  • Love Remains
  • Jesus Without Lines: Erasing the Lies and Embracing the Savior
  • The Zombie Pinocchio (Zombie Fairy Tales #3)
  • Grandma Must Die
  • Lori Leak Travels To Paris
  • A Pirate's Possession
  • The Fairy Tale Trap (Ivy Thorn, #1)
Kathy L Wheeler / Kae Elle Wheeler grew up in the Dallas area. By day she is a computer, software geek and night a full-time author. She loves the NBA, NFL, musical theater, and karaoke. Her Management Information Systems BA degree from the University of Central Oklahoma includes a minor in vocal music. When she reads a book, she demands a happy ending.
More about Kathy L. Wheeler...

Cinderella (4 books)
  • The Wronged Princess (Cinderella, #1)
  • The Unlikely Heroine (Cinderella #2)
  • The Surprising Enchantress (Cinderella #3)