Start by marking “The Wiregrass” as Want to Read:

The Wiregrass

Reminiscent of the stories and styles of Harper Lee, Sue Monk Kidd, and Jan Karon, Pam Webber’s The Wiregrass is an extraordinary tale about a magical time in an ordinary place full of lovable and unlovable characters. Infused with laughter, tears, love, loss, and hope, the story follows fourteen-year-old cousins Nettie, J.D. Eric, and Sam as they navigate the summer of th ...more
Published August 4th 2015 by She Writes Press

To ask other readers questions about The Wiregrass, please sign up.
Pam Webber I think the creativity has always been there, I just turned it in a different direction. Writing fiction is perhaps the hardest type writing I've ever…moreI think the creativity has always been there, I just turned it in a different direction. Writing fiction is perhaps the hardest type writing I've ever attempted, but it is also very liberating.

Nurses have extraordinary insight into human behavior in diverse situations from great sadness to great joy and everything in between. The more experience you have, the more synergistic you can be and the clearer your view of what's really important.(less)

Start your review of The Wiregrass
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
I could not read this book quickly enough. It took me to another time and place in my own life, back to hot, sticky summers spent with my own Ain't Pitty, Granny, and "cussins." The imagery in the author's writing took me right to the Wiregrass, and some of the southern references brought back fond memories I had not thought of in years - references to angel biscuits and prune juice are just two that come to mind. This book was filled with family, hope, love, sadness and tragedy, and the message ...more
Story Circle Book Reviews
The Wiregrass was like no other place in the South, at least according to Momma. Named for the spidery, razor blade-like grass that thrived in the hellishly hot summers, the region was known for the uniqueness of its water. Belowground was an enormous underground lake that supplied clear water to hundreds of creeks, lakes and swimming holes. Aboveground, fierce thunderstorms frequently blanketed the region, flooding streets and pushing muddy water through the crisscrossing rivers toward the Gulf ...more
Susan
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library

Pam Webber

Oh my goodness! Pam Webber really grabbed my heart from the very first page and never let it go! She had my emotions all over the place. Once I started reading THE WIREGRASS it was very hard to stop! The twists and turns made it impossible to put down, as I had to know what was going to happen to Nettie and all the cousins! I still can't believe that this is Ms. Webber's debut! She writes with so much heart and tenderness that you would think this was her tenth book, not h
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook

Life is about choices, and you can choose to be angry and unhappy all the time or you can choose to be happy...always choose happy, no matter what.

When I first started reading The Wiregrass I didn't think I was going to like it but then I started to get into it I couldn't stop reading. Pam Webber's writing is so poignant, real and beautiful. The story itself was gut wrenching and fraught with hard times, hard labor and much love.

I found Nettie and her cussins to be such wonderful characters
Ron
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“The innocence of childhood is not lost; it’s taken, and evil is not born; it’s bred.”

This novel blew me away. This is why we should ration five star ratings: so when we give them they mean something. I read the whole thing in one day. It starts slow and mundane enough that the acceleration is barely noticeable until the trees are flying by your window.

“Our folks were behavers … at least when folks were looking.”

The setting is lower Alabama’s wiregrass country in 1968. Webber captures the mood o
Sandra Blackstone
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book, felt like I was with them that hot summer!

I had a lot of cussing' too and memories flooded back as you were taken on their adventures. I loved the pastors role in the book. He could pray and preach to your heart!
Rosie
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this!
Bonnye Reed
The Wiregrass is one of those novels that keep you up all night long and make you snap at folks expecting a response from you on some unimportant, mundane household problem. Supper comes to mind. The only part I didn't enjoy was the last page. We open with school's summer break, with the car trip from Virginia to Crystal Springs with the family of a couple of the cousins. You can close your eyes and 'see' this trip. Pam Webber paints authentic mind pictures all through this novel that will fill ...more
Sarah K
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual, my five point review:

Let’s start with the obvious: the sense of place in this book is phenomenal. Though I am now living in the South, the Wiregrass region was still unfamiliar to me until Nettie explained that it was both a part of the country [southeastern Alabama, southern Georgia, and the Florida Panhandle] and a type of bristly, razor-sharp grass that gave the region its name. Though I’ve never really been to the true Deep South, Webber’s imagery made the area come alive like oth
WordsAPlenty audiobookreviewer
I was given this book for an honest review.

The Wiregrass by Pam Webber is a coming of age story written about a time when small towns were safe, neighbors were friends, and kids could wander around after dark safely. However, this was also a time when evil deeds of men were not spoken about publicly or even whispered about softly. When innocence was taken, it was taken brutally.

Nettie, Lil’Bit, Sharon, J.D., Sam, and Eric are all cousins who spend the summer with their granny and Ain’t Pitty in
Vivian
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5-star read

I count myself fortunate that one of my IRL book groups won copies of this book to read, otherwise, I might not have ever known about this book. To say that this book is an amazing read is oversimplifying, but OMG, this was an amazing read. Ms. Webber foreshadows the tragic ending but it never distracted from this reader's overall enjoyment of the story. Yes, there is a tragedy at the end of the story. No, I won't tell you what the tragedy is, read the book! THE WIREGRASS is a story
Kimberly Jackson
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a awesome great read. It takes you back to the summers that we spent with our cousins and family eating great food and enjoying each other's company. I really felt myself in the shoes of the characters, nothing but love, happiness, family, friends, sadness and great food. It's a must read folks!!!! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Scottsdale Public Library
The Wiregrass is a beautiful novel that takes place over the course of one summer in Alabama and follows a group of cousins as they navigate childhood, adults and evil.

Nettie and her sister and brother travel to Alabama every summer to stay with their mother’s relatives. They are joined by their cousins or “cussins” as they call themselves. They enjoy a great deal of freedom as they play, swim and fish while always looking out for each other. They also sneak out at night to play pranks on vario
Beth Peninger

When a title is reviewed as "reminiscent of To Kill a Mockingbird, Tom Sawyer, and Of Mice and Men...." then I am hoping it's a good read and lives up to the review. Those are big shoes to fill.
After reading it I can see why it is being compared to those titles. It IS reminiscent of those titles.
This is a coming-of-age, deep south culture, danger lurking in the dark, novel. Every summer a group of cousins live with their Aunt and Uncle and engage in harmless fun. But this summer thing
Martha Havron
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Thomas Wolfe claimed in his novel, You Can’t Go Home Again, he got it wrong. You can … if only for a while.
As a southerner myself, raised by a southern mother who was raised by a gentle southern mother before her, The Wiregrass, took me home. Home to the days of early innocence and discovery in a southern culture. Home to the days of yes ma’ams and no ma’ams. Home to everyday childhood pranks, which kids owned up to when caught.
In The Wiregrass, engaging character Nettie takes us into the
Gregory E Jolliff
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I've read in a long time and should be made into a movie!!!

The characters are real and developed from real people who have lived the experiences. It seemed a very real coming of age plot. I especially was moved by the eulogy given by the pastor at the end. This book reminds me of other stories like The Help and On Golden Pond for the message of the importance of family support and the influence of those around you. I hope the author writes other books for me to read
Sherry V Wood
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely wonderful !

I cannot believe that this is a debut novel . It truly is one of the best books I have ever read and I read all the time since I have retired . This book really touched my heart and made me cry and most books today just don't have that power . I can't wait to read more by this author . This book genuinely deserves a five-star rating !
Allietude
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Slow start-but the story pulled me in. I saw pieces of myself in each of the younger characters-and Nettie just pulled at my heartstrings. The range of emotions as I read-just an amazing story. Funny, exciting, scary, sad, and though provoking.
Ann
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was a fun and easy read in the style of Harper Lee. I enjoyed experiencing a summer in 1950s rural Alabama through the eyes of children.
Lara Hilton
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was wonderful!! Very moving.
Becky
3.5 stars, mostly sweet coming of age story.I actually read the 2nd Nettie book first & then went back & read this one. They were mostly stand alone books.

Large family of "cussins" meet up stay stay at their Ain't's house for the summer. Carefree summer days for all ages of children, swiming, fishing, late nights watching fireflies etc along with childish pranks.

This year was different, there was a hidden layer of some badness going on & the children were somehow aware of a change in the wind.
Heather
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh boy, I'm a puddle of tears. This book had me in stitches the whole time and then bam, it all comes together in one horrifying ending that wrips your heart out. This story will stay with me for a long time.
Peggy Oliver giacalone
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
My father was raised in Southern Alabama. My grandmother --never one to lose her southern ways once she moved to the Pacific Coast, always kept a fresh plate of her fluffy white Divinity ready for company. (If you had a southern grandma in the 60's--you know what that is!) As soon as I read this, I was hooked into this book. From sweet tea and turnip greens--to swimming holes & flip flops... it's summer adventures that leads to life lessons and sadly--tragedy. ...more
Belinda
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story very much, but I really enjoyed it because the story takes place in Geneva County and Coffee Springs, Alabama which is my home county. Many of the places that were described in the story were familiar to me especially the swimming pool at Coffee Springs, AL.
Jani Brooks
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE WIREGRASS – Pam Webber

Crystal Springs, Alabama – 1969

Nettie lives for her summers. She can’t wait for her parents’ car to head south from Virginia to her Ain’t Pitty’s house in the sleepy southern town of Crystal Springs. Every summer the “cussins,” Nettie and her Campbell cousins, would descend upon the little hamlet and spend the summer fishing, swimming, and playing pranks on the locals.

The cussins consist of their leader, fifteen year-old J.D., Eric, next in line, Nettie’s sister Sam, N
Ann
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit this book took me back to my childhood, growing up in Georgia. The hot, still days, the heat of the road, how our feet were like leather most of the time, and a time in my youth when the world was simpler but still full of all the growing pains of a youngster discovering the world.

Most of this story is about growing up with a large extended family. Aunts and uncles that believed in justice, decency and honesty. Kid's that are running a bit wild and finally an evil beyond belief.
Peggy
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun "coming-of-age" book set in the South. Children are believable and I loved the author's voice.
Deirdre Vines
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully written

Beautiful story! Thank you! i cried through the last few chapters, but they were tears of hope and triumph of the human spirit and the everlasting win of good over evil.
Lora Burch
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Choose Happiness

I highly recommend this book because I loved it! It's a coming of age story with strong family ties that deals with some very tough and sad issues. Even so, it is uplifting, courageous, and full of love and hope. This is Pam Webber's first novel but I hope it's not her last. Keep 'em coming, Pam!
Sue
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent coming of age novel about a young girl in the South in the summer of 1968. Life in the summers in the wiregrass (an area of Alabama) had always been exciting for Nettie and her cousins. They spent the summers away from their parents and stayed with their grandparents and extended family. They had lots more freedom and up until this summer, their summers had been carefree and fun. Oh sure, they had pulled some harmless pranks during previous summers but nothing against the l ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Life's Golden Ticket
  • Conjure Women
  • Running on Red Dog Road: And Other Perils of an Appalachian Childhood
  • The Absence of Mercy
  • Sweetbriar Cottage (Blue Ridge, #0)
  • Temple Secrets (Temple Secrets #1)
  • Nantucket Sisters
  • Sugar (Sugar Lacey, #1)
  • The Secret to Hummingbird Cake
  • Annabelle's Diary
  • The Accidental Salvation of Gracie Lee
  • Fragile (The Hollows, #1)
Pam Webber is author of the bestselling debut novel, The Wiregrass, a Historical Novels Review Editors’ Choice, and Read of the Month at Southern Literary Review. Her second novel, Moon Water, was released August 20th. An invited panelist for Virginia Festival of the Book, Pam has also published extensively in nursing and is an award-winning educator and family nurse practitioner. She and her hus ...more

News & Interviews

“Apology accepted, son. Y’all listen to your better angels next time. They’ll save you from having to worry about all the shoulda, coulda, wouldas.” 1 likes
“The Wiregrass . . . a place where angels and demons dance.” 1 likes