Start by marking “Third Watch (Tracy Crosswhite, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Third Watch (Tracy Crosswhite, #0.5)

Third Watch

(Tracy Crosswhite 0.5)

Tracy Crosswhite’s ordinary night patrolling her Seattle beat becomes front page news when she responds to a domestic disturbance call that turns into a hostage crisis.

In this prequel short story to Robert Dugoni’s #1 Kindle-bestselling novel, My Sister’s Grave, Tracy Crosswhite is a young patrol officer, paying her dues, keeping her head down, and hoping a solid record w
Published August 16th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Third Watch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Third Watch

Christine
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Christine by: Brenda 5
This is one of two prequels to what I hear is a fabulous series—the Tracy Crosswhite novels. I loved prequel #1, The Academy, and decided to pick up this short story as well. The verdict is I am really excited to dive into the first novel, My Sister’s Grave.

Though Third Watch is only 44 pages, it packs a punch. We learn so much about Tracy, and I can tell you, I’m loving her already. She is a young patrol cop in this story, which takes place six years after The Academy (I advise that one be read
Brenda
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this short story featuring Tracy Crosswhite. I recently read the Crosswhite series and liked the character. The author created ample tension and suspense in just a few pages.
Alex ♈
"Have you ever known anyone who was the victim of a violent crime?"
"It’s like living in a bubble in which all your senses have been dulled. The world loses color; you see things in black and white and shades of gray. Food loses its taste and its smell. You don’t trust other people or their motives. And you begin to question everything about your own life and think you’re not doing enough, that you’re supposed to be doing something more, though you have no idea what that is."

Another good preque
Jean
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had mixed feelings about Robert Dugoni’s prequel Third Watch: A Tracy Crosswhite Short Story. It’s not that I didn’t like it. In fact, I loved it. It’s just that as a short story, it left me wanting more. That’s a good thing, Mr. Dugoni. Having read the other books in the series as well as the first two novels in the David Sloane series, I was already a fan when I started this brisk, spellbinding read.

Third Watch takes us back to Tracy Crosswhite’s days as a street cop when she chose to work n
Linda Strong
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
This is a short story … less than 50 pages. THIRD WATCH takes us back to when she was a street cop …. Before she became Seattle’s first female detective. This is the prequel to MY SISTER’S GRAVE.

There has been a lot of bad publicity concerning the treatment of female officers, so her supervisor has set her up to be followed by a reporter. Young and ambitious, the reporter is hoping for a huge scoop and she may get a bigger and better story than she had planned.

A routine call lands Tracy in the m
Ariel
Jul 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
It's a humid night in Seattle and Tracy Crosswhite is grateful for the slight breeze coming through the cracked window of her patrol car as well as the Starbucks coffee she has on deck. She's patrolled these streets and alleys for the past six years, gaining a perceptive feel for the area. Because of a gender equality PR storm that has recently hit the department, Crosswhite has a ride along tonight in the shape of a reporter. A reporter that ends up getting a much bigger story than she, or Trac ...more
Arathi
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
As always Tracy Crosswhite rocks!
Richard
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
In Tracy Crosswhite, Robert Dugoni has created a detective who more than carries his amazing series of books. In Third Watch the author has again gone back to her earlier police career in uniform to show how she achieved her ambition.
"She's competent, inquisitive and highly capable. "
"She's the best shooter I've ever seen, Chief."
It is very clear that Dugoni loves writing about her and as a reader he allows you to share in that process.
This is just a short story but it is sufficient to have you
Combine a smart, strong and compassionate h with compelling storytelling and you get this short.
Carol
4.5 stars.
This is the second prequel to the Tracey Crosswhite series and I am already in love with this smart, sassy and savvy heroine.
This story is set during the years that she was a beat cop on patrol.
I really enjoy reading stories where the crimes are solved by intelligent, strong-willed women.
Thank you J D Robb and Patricia Cornwell for your wonderful heroines but what have we here : Robert Dugoni (a male author) that has managed to capture all those great qualities that I adore in a her
Matt
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dugoni presents another well-crafted preface to his new Tracy Crosswhite series. After suffering through the guilt of her sister's murder, Tracy Crosswhite used her thirst for justice to apply to the police academy. Passing with flying colours, she is sent to Seattle and works as a beat cop, now six years on the job. After the SPD is roasted for its treatment of female officers, a follow-up piece is slated and Crosswhite is given a journalist for a ride-along. Crosswhite prefers the Third Watch, ...more
Terri Lynn
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is very short-only around 47 pages-but good. It is a prequel to Robert Dugoni's Tracy Crosswhite series. In this book we see an incident from when Tracy is a beat cop. She had been a cop for 6 years, hoping in vain to get promoted to detective but all her applications for detective jobs had been turned down. A local reporter had done a story on the Seattle Police Department's failure to promote female officers to detective which caused stress for Tracy as male officers think she gave info t ...more
Tony Hisgett
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
This short story describes the incident that helps move Tracey past the sexism of the Seattle police department and allows her to get her chance as a detective.
It wasn’t a bad story, but not quite as interesting as the previous story The Academy.
Ann Lou
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another short story when Tracy was still a patrol officer. A cop hero with a good heart. 😍
Becca
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice little filler book explaining how Tracy gets out of patrol and up to detective status.

Not a long book at all. Took me 40 mins to read, whilst watching Will and Grace :)

Onto the next!

Www.thebeautifulbookbreak.com
Dee
Two-haiku review:

She's cop on patrol
Domestic disturbance call
She handles it well

Very short story
Well set up and developed
Great start to series
April Craig
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tracy Crosswhite is a badass!
David Highton
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A second prequel in the Crosswhite series - resolving a hostage crisis singlehanded gets Tracy a lot of publicity helpful to her career
Vicki Willis
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This a a very short story that is about the beginning of Tracy Crosswhite's career. This one is actually set before the first novel about her, but I read it afterward and it still worked well. It was an exciting story about one night on third watch. It had a few characters that reoccur in the novels and that was fun. A must read for any fan of this series.
Rose
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Third Watch by Robert Dugoni is a very short taste of The Tracy Crosswhite Series. A mere 47 pages. The second introduction book that lead into the first book of the series – “My Sister's Grave”

“Author Robert Dugoni is the New York Times, #1 Amazon, and #1 Wall Street Journal Bestselling Author”

“The police procedural featuring Seattle Homicide Detective Tracy Crosswhite has kept Dugoni in the Amazon top 10 for more than three years and sold more than 4 million copies”

I had not read any of his bo
 Leo (Queen of the Rants and the Crazy)
I’m loving this smart amazing cool heroine!
That’s all I have to say!
Dawn
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
A nice little short story about Officer Tracy Crosswhite and the call that helped move her to Detective. I had My Sister's Grave already on my "to-read" list and while looking at the Prime reading selections currently available from Amazon I noticed this little short story. I'm glad I found it and I'll be shortly moving to the first in this series.
Leslie
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cops, ku, short-stories
This prequel shows us after Tracy has been a beat cop for six years and is working Third Watch (night shift to the normals) and has to deal with a dangerous situation that will lead her to a promotion
Henry
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good Background Story

This is a very good background story for the Tracy Crosswhite series. Written after the first books in the series, it helps explain the development of the character.
Jhoosphe Wogel
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-story
Another prequel where the reader gets to know more about coming up in the ranks of the PD. Tracy is humble, sure, and such an introvert. Her rise to detective is long overdue! Her relationship with the media is better understood, as well. Great read.
alex
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
(Again, this is a 50 page novella, so I’m morally opposed to giving this a rating above a 3)

I really enjoyed seeing this insight into Tracy’s life before homicide, and it was great to see other recurring characters as their younger selves!
Ginger
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ginger by: Joann
Enjoyed this as much as I did the first one.
Henry
Second prequel to Tracy Crosswhite series.
CJ
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another quick but necessary read from the Tracy Crosswhite series. Love!
Cristie
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this Tracy Crosswhite short story. It was interesting to see Tracy as a rookie cop instead of the established detective she is in My Sister's Grave and Her Final Breath.

The plot follows Tracy on a seemingly typical night on third watch, aka the night shift. The one major exception is that she has a reporter shadowing her. The events that occur on this night are what help to excel her career as a detective. It was interesting to learn more about the time period between Tracy the
  • The Mole People Beneath the City
  • In Dark Company (Kate Burkholder #9.5)
  • Candy Canes and Criminals (HoneyBun Shop Mysteries #3)
  • The Bad Mother's Pregnancy
  • Outpost
  • Zombie-Kids
  • A Perilous Promise (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery Book 0)
  • One Hundred Ablutions
  • Thyroid Healthy: Lose Weight, Look Beautiful and Live the Life You Imagine
  • Environmentally Friendly
  • Uncanny Valley
  • The Loch Ness Legacy (Tyler Locke, #4)
  • Selfies
  • Mother's Day
  • Charlie (Snowy Cove, #1)
  • The Last Good Place (Streets of San Francisco, #1)
  • Trouble in Paradise (Rachel Knight, #2.5)
  • Sugar Skull (Eve Diamond Mystery, #2)
Robert Dugoni is the New York Times, #1 Amazon, and #1 Wall Street Journal Bestselling Author of the Tracy Crosswhite series: My Sister's Grave, Her Last Breath, In the Clearing, The Trapped Girl and Close to Home, as well as the short prequels The Academy and Third Watch. The police procedural featuring Seattle Homicide Detective Tracy Crosswhite has kept Dugoni in the Amazon top 10 for more than ...more

Tracy Crosswhite (6 books)
  • My Sister's Grave (Tracy Crosswhite, #1)
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
  • A Steep Price (Tracy Crosswhite, #6)
“If today is your worst day, then tomorrow is going to be a little better, right? And the day after that will also be a little better. Each day will get a little better, Alex, but only if you let me help you. So right now, all you have to do is get through today. That’s not too hard, right? Just get through today. You can get through today, right?” 0 likes
“What bothers you most, the fact that I beat your score on the shooting range, or that I broke your nose and kneed you in the nuts?” 0 likes