Start by marking “A Mindset for Learning: Teaching the Traits of Joyful, Independent Growth” as Want to Read:
A Mindset for Learning: Teaching the Traits of Joyful, Independent Growth

A Mindset for Learning: Teaching the Traits of Joyful, Independent Growth

"This book is a gem: vivid, fun and thoughtful. It's like sitting next to a skillful, experienced, focused teacher in a real classroom. Kristi and Christine draw on their years of teaching and their dedication to educating children to help students become more empathic and act more thoughtfully and to prepare them with the essentials for success in an uncertain future." ...more
Published August 27th 2015 by Heinemann

To ask other readers questions about A Mindset for Learning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Mindset for Learning

Start your review of A Mindset for Learning: Teaching the Traits of Joyful, Independent Growth
Brenda
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Such a relief to read a professional book that focused on learners and growing their capacities, rather than on lessons and growing a teacher's repertoire. We are full on into goal setting and preparing for student led conferences - I am so excited to give these ideas a try with my class. I think they'll be more connected and invested in their goals - as much as 8 and 9 year-olds can be. Thank you for your book!
Jenny Morales
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Every educator should read this book! It focuses on developing the whole child with a growth mindset. I appreciated that they had put it in actual examples from actual classrooms!
Denise Shaver
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great, practical read. I cannot wait to put some fresh ideas in place next year.
Andrea
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If I could give it 6 stars I would! Such great insight into teaching students how to grow as people and learners. Teaching genius!
Mandy Robek
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book about the WHOLE child, fostering a way of thinking through hard things to learn/grasp as a learner.
Patrick
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teacher-resource
Definitely will be using these stances with my new group of fourth graders this year. CAn't wait. Social curriculum so important!
Jamielipowski
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a good read with useful information but it was also repetitive at times.
Leigh
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
A great read for teachers who want to incorporate the Growth Mindset in their classrooms.
Andee
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Very applicable strategies to bring to your classroom. I got lots of great ideas to use once school begins in August!
Karina
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I think this book is a good resource as far as how to implement a growth mindset, and the five stances (empathy, optimism, resilience, persistence, flexibility). Good book recommendations to teach the stances broken down by grade clusters. I'm excited to see if my school library has any of the books. I look forward to incorporating several of the ideas mentioned. It seems the suggestions are easily implemented during Community Circle (TRIBES), on L pages (reflection) in journals, sticky notes fo ...more
Lynda Schmidt
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good reminders throughout about what is important when making connections with kids and how to help them navigate through their days. Have used this primarily through my advisory time but also have enjoyed connecting via Twitter with the authors. Very accessible and enthusiastic about "talking" kids and how to make school more valuable for all. Will continue to use as a resource for sure.
Jeni
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book for thinking about creating engaged and motivated learners. Practical ideas supported by research and classroom experience. I'm almost excited for summer to end so I can use some of this learning with my own students.
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book that reminds you of the importance of teaching the whole child at every age! These five traits will blend in nicely with the social curriculum I currently use and will enhance it in a beautiful way.
Marysue Gulick
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think because I've read Carol Dweck's book about Mindset several times, I had a hard time getting through this one. I have to say I got some great ideas from it, so I persevered and am glad I finished it.
Sheila
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A practical resource for all educators! Mraz and Hertz give helpful 'Teaching Tips' for guiding children to independence. Love these authors! Reading this book felt more like having a conversation with good friends who are passionate about teaching.
Julie Esanu
Insightful yet I wish that curiosity was included as a mindset. Without it, I felt that this provided a guide for teaching mindsets.
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teacher-books
Excellent book that combines principles from habits of mind, mindset, and grit all into one text for classroom application.
Diana Pettis
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to book talk this with my lab cohort teacher friends. Great book so much information.
Brigetta Barone
Erin
Jul 26, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Kids First from Day One: A Teacher's Guide to Today's Classroom
  • Engaging Learners Through Artmaking: Choice-Based Art Education in the Classroom
  • The Wall in the Middle of the Book
  • The Cat From Hunger Mountain
  • The Bite Before Christmas (Argeneau, #15.5; Night Huntress, #6.5)
  • Go See the Principal: True Tales from the School Trenches
  • Baby Monkey, Private Eye
  • Miss Malarkey Leaves No Reader Behind
  • Baby Brains and RoboMom
  • Madeline Finn and the Library Dog
  • A Fresh Look at Phonics, Grades K-2: Common Causes of Failure and 7 Ingredients for Success
  • Embraced: 100 Devotions to Know God Is Holding You Close
  • The Name Jar
  • The Snow Globe Family
  • Natural Born Charmer (Chicago Stars, #7)
  • With the Might of Angels: The Diary of Dawnie Rae Johnson, Hadley, Virginia, 1954 (Dear America)
  • At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3)
  • Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4)