Start by marking “転生したらスライムだった件 1 [Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken [Light Novel] 1] (That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime [Light Novel], #1)” as Want to Read:

転生したらスライムだった件 1 [Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken [Light Novel] 1]

(That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (Novel) #1)

ある日通り魔に襲われて命を失った三上悟は、
運命は大きく動き出す!
モンスター転生ファンタジー、ここに開幕!
Paperback, Novel, 306 pages
Published May 30th 2014 by マイクロマガジン社; B6版

Be the first to ask a question about 転生したらスライムだった件 1 [Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken [Light Novel] 1]

Start your review of 転生したらスライムだった件 1 [Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken [Light Novel] 1] (That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime [Light Novel], #1)
A.A.A
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I couldn’t finish this book. The light novel wasn’t as good as I thought it would be. In my opinion the web novel is so much better than the published version. What I expected and what I read did not match at all. For a better understanding of what I mean, read the web novel version online and then read the first 2 chapters of the publication light novel.
Lazybee
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow. It's a very nice litrpg novel with humour. Life of a slime in a video game, even though a overpowered one at that.
Greg Markwardt
While this is definitely not a 5 Star novel for everyone it hits all the right chords with me. Humorous sword and sorcery fantasy setting; CHECK. Interesting characters with fun dialog, CHECK. Old School RPG nostalgia and tropes; CHECK. I couldn't go wrong.

The only complaint I have is common for this medium and that is that the main character is overpowered. But since the confrontations were still all engaging and entertaining I will give that a pass. We will see if that get's more aggravating i
Elspeth
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
The writing is not much, but the story is fun.
Tarl
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a weird twist, I actually read this book before I watched the anime, which was a pleasant experience and one I would suggest for this series.

First off, this presents a unique take on the isekai genre, placing the protagonist in the body of one of the weakest monsters in many JRPG games. Combining that with the godlike skill 'Predator' and 'Great Sage', makes a character that could easily be a Mary Sue, and in many ways he really is. That said, you don't really notice it a whole lot, except w
Teresa
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was quite the sluggish read. I managed to inch my way through slowly...very, very slowly. The manga was actually pretty fun, but this translation is dense and full of explanatory exposition: info dump after info dump. Very little dialogue and a story I could care even less about. I wanted something "light," hence light novel, and this was not what I expected. Like I said, the manga was much more fun, probably because info dumps are transcribed into images, making it a much more mellow read.
Rebecca
Another surprisingly fun entry into the isekai genre, this one was especially surprising for the bittersweet Shizu storyline.

Full review eventually appearing on ANN.
Aelvana
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Satoru Mikami had just gone out to meet a coworker for lunch, but a thug wielding a knife put an end to his ordinary life. As he's dying, he hears a strange voice responding to his thoughts . . . and when he wakes up, he realizes life is going to be very different from now on. He's no longer human, and the various abilities the voice had mentioned are now his to command. This begins his adventures as a slime . . .

I saw the first few episodes of the anime and got intrigued about this, and too imp
LiteratureIsLife
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Read this review (and others) at: https://literatureislife.com/2019/05/...

That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime is a fairly unique take on a “trapped in a game” story. After a 30-something year old man is killed, he wakes up in a fantasy world. As a slime monster, traditionally one of the weakest enemies in fantasy video games. From the start, the storytelling features a sense of humor as his last, dying thoughts determine what abilities he starts out with as a slime. Which are crazy overpower
Michael Reyes
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime" originated as a Japanese Web Novel and belongs to the Isekai or "Other World" genre.

The story begins with Satoru Mikami, a normal salary worker, who is killed (randomly) and then is reincarnated into another world as a... Slime! To be honest, the way the author "transports" him from his original world to the other one feels a bit lazy, but... whatever. *shrugs*.

As is customary to these tropes, the hero of this story is overpowered, albeit being a slime (
Kakuzō Akutagawa
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My thoughts on the first volume of the light novel of That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken) by Fuze and Mitz Vah.

I'm planning on bingeing all the novels to prepare for the second season of the anime.

Where did I read it: I bought the YenOn ebook from amazon. I would have liked to buy the Paperback but for convenience's sake, I opted for digital.

The story: Dude gets killed by a bulgar (as his death wish he asks his friend to erase his computers hard drive). The
Clifton A. Butts
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The protagonist was over 40 when he died as a human. As a fellow old guy that was reading Japanese manga and light novels, and playing tabletop RPGs in the late '80s, I might be seeing a very different product than most kids today.

I had just finished reading the web novel when it was announced that it was being made into an anime. This was one of the best series I had read in years, but I know from experience that the greater something is the more a corporate executive will want to "improve" it.
Feen
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though I already read the manga and watched the anime, the light novel did clear up some misunderstandings I had beforehand. It was slow at some points but when it got all its background for the story flushed out and Rimuru started building his own country from the ground up was when I really got hooked.

Might be weird but I just love stories about protagonist build things up from literal scratch(which in this case is goblin scratch) into something amazing. If you're into that sort of thing you
Daniel
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, light-novel
Thoughts:
The light novel and third version of the same story ive consumed.

I still prefer the anime, the pacing is better and the characters are better fleshed out. The manga is basically a weaker version of that. Here in the light novel version we do get a lot of extra detail on the characters inner thoughts and some more well done background exposition.

Its a well done translation of what remains a fun wholesome little story, there is just a bit more pragmatic ruthlessness here.

But really.. jus
Casey
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was pretty good. I really appreciated the greater detail for the various stories and characters we encounter in this volume compared to the manga. That being said, it was a bit stilted in it's flow sometimes being bogged down with the mechanics of the world (the ranking of monsters comes to mind). But on the whole I was glad to see more of what was going on and am certainly interested in how Fuse will develop the story in further volumes.

Verdict: If you haven't watched the anime or read the m
Mahesh Nakka
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anime, 2019, light-novels
This is so freaking awesome & ingenious.
A slime as the main character.
I never thought I enjoy this novel so much, it was astounding in all effects.
Writing is good, the characters are awesome. The story is pretty much amazing.
The simple and small details are also awesome as heck.

To define the plot basic:
A 37-year-old guy gets killed and reincarnated as slime, and he makes an alliance with a dragon, helps goblins, visit hot elves & genius dwarves and build a Goblin Village. How a shapeless slime m
Someone Else
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, litrpg
Surprise, this is really really good. I did not expect that, based on the absurd title, but it is true.

I had such a good experience, it started me on a LitRPG journey that has spanned a few hundred books at this point. I didn't really understand that a lot of the books I had been reading sense time immemorial were basically Isekai (Narnia was basically an Isekai) and now that the term and genre has been codified, I can just go ham on the idea.

This one remains one of the best paced and enjoyable
Oskari
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ranobe
Going to compare this with the anime.
- Rimuru is much meaner in LN, often leaving a foul taste.
- Some of the subplots are also much shorter than in anime, and for example the connection between Shizu and Rimuru is left much thinner in LN.
- LN uses ranking system to classify power levels, which gets quickly heavy to keep up with.
- In general the anime is just more fluid, and feels more fleshed out than the LN.
David Rossi
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome Series

Such A fun adventure with good comedy and action moments plus it is so much more informative than the anime series and fills in so many plot holes from the anime and Rimeru Seems like such a more relatable character in The light novel then in the arame Be because of his mistakes I make in his mind and being able to read what hes thinking constantly but out the time skips
Cody Enos
3.5

I really loved the anime and decided to try this out. Overall I really liked this. The beginning was quite slow and took a while to get used to the writing, but once I was in the groove it came easily enough.

I was surprised by the differences it has with the anime and I was pleased with the short story at the end with Gobta.

The story is unfolding with a good pace and I like how everything is naturally stacking on each other as the story progresses. I’m excited to read the next volume.
Karla Schneider
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's taking a long time to establish the setting of this world, that I don't mind, but there seem to be little to no kinship between him and any of the other characters. The reason Spice and Wolf works is because of it's adult dialogues and last minute plot twists. I can't see how this will work out when he is an island with NOBODY to genuinely care about his well being.
Maya Herring
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this light novel series so far was a quick and easy read, and i loved every minute of it. Read all 4 translated light novels in about a week and would have kept going if there were more. If you've seen and like the show definitely worth reading ahead. I haven't read and don't plan to read the manga.
Moe Vafaeian
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Started by watching the show that's currently airing on Crunchyroll and it made me want to read the light novel, now the first one in the series of book is fantastic. The fact that I'm watching it and reading really helps flesh out more of the story that gets lost. Overall I'm loving it can't wait to read more.
Tony Torres
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic

I first found this series in its manga form. Recently the anime came out as well. So I just had to get the light novel. It is a great story, and I am off to read volume 2.
Taylor Quebbeman
Enjoyable

There are some minor differences between the various literary iterations for this story, but Had a thoroughly enjoyable experience reading through this version of the story.
Joey
Sep 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is completely fine. A nice isekai LN with light humor and a quaint RPGish setting. The anime is probably the definitive version of the story at this point. Recommended for fans of the genre, but probably won’t pull in skeptics. The art is nice, with slightly sketchy line work.
Nam
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly good story telling Novel ... very entertaining indeed ..
Dorcas
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reads a lot like how fanfiction does, but I enjoyed how they fleshed out more of the story and characters, esp. Shizu and Gobta.
Btxl
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
fan translations <3 ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover 5 34 Aug 02, 2019 02:03PM

• So I'm a Spider, So What?, Vol. 1 (light novel)
  • デスマーチからはじまる異世界狂想曲
  • 盾の勇者の成り上がり 1 [Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, #1]
  • So I'm a Spider, So What?, Vol. 2 (light novel) (So I'm a Spider, So What? (light novel))
  • In Another World With My Smartphone: Volume 1
  • Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody, Vol. 3 (light novel)
  • In Another World With My Smartphone: Volume 2
  • Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody, Vol. 2 (light novel)
  • How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord, Light Novel Vol. 1 (How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord [Light Novel], #1)
  • Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest, Vol. 1
  • Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody, Vol. 10 (light novel) (Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody (light novel))
  • Didn't I Say To Make My Abilities Average In The Next Life?! Light Novel Vol. 1
  • Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody, Vol. 6 (light novel)
  • In Another World With My Smartphone: Volume 3
  • The Rising of the Shield Hero Novel Volume 03
  • So I'm a Spider, So What?, Vol. 4 (light novel)
  • So I'm a Spider, So What?, Vol. 3 (light novel) (So I'm a Spider, So What? (light novel))
  • In Another World With My Smartphone: Volume 4
Name (in native language): 伏瀬 ...more

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (Novel) (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Vol. 2 (Light Novel)
  • That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Vol. 3 (Light Novel)
  • That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Vol. 4 (That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime #4)
  • That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Vol. 5 (light novel)
  • That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Vol. 6 (light novel) (That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (light novel))
  • That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Vol. 7 (light novel) (That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Vol. 7 (light novel))
  • That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Vol. 8 (Light Novel)
  • 転生したらスライムだった件 8.5 公式設定資料集 (Light Novel)
  • That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Vol. 9 (light novel) (That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (light novel))
  • 転生したらスライムだった件 10 (Light Novel)

News & Interviews