Start by marking “Operation World: When We Pray God Works: 21st Century Edition” as Want to Read:
Operation World: When We Pray God Works: 21st Century Edition

Operation World: When We Pray God Works: 21st Century Edition

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  2,725 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Operation World is the definitive prayer handbook and reference guide. Packed with informative and inspiring fuel for prayer about every country of the world, it is essential for anybody who wants to make a difference. It was the winner of the 2002 Gold Medallion Book Award and has been quoted in numerous journals and articles. It contains information for all the continent ...more
Paperback, 6th, 672 pages
Published December 31st 2001 by Pasternoster Lifestyle (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Operation World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Operation World

Dottie Parish
Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation is a book that can change the world. It’s an amazing book. Imagine what a difference it would make if all Christians prayed specifically for missionaries around the world and for the needs in each country. This is a daunting task but it is made easier by this marvelous book. Operation World lists every country in the world, giving information on Geography, Peoples, Economy, Politics, and Religion for each country. It also lists Answers ...more
Christopher Rush
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I wouldn't say "5 stars because it was amazing," but it's hard not to give this all the stars it can get, considering its importance. Sure, it's 15 years out of date, and basically every single statistic in it is no longer accurate, but the gist of it is all true - and the needs for prayer are probably even more true now than they were 15 years ago. I hope that doesn't sound cynical, just a generic observation. What did I learn through this journey? I was encouraged by so many of the "answers to ...more
Matt Hancock
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As someone else said, "Operation World is one of the most important Christian books in the world because it mobilizes the church to reliably informed intercession."

Jesus commanded his disciples, "Look, I tell you, lift up your eyes, and see that the fields are white for harvest" (Jn. 4:35). At this point the disciples were not thinking about harvesting people, much less the despised Samaritan people group. But later, by the help of the Holy Spirit they did "lift up their eyes," and catch a visio
Loraine
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenges-2014
SUMMARY: Operation World is the definitive prayer handbook and reference guide. Packed with informative and inspiring fuel for prayer about every country of the world, it is essential for anybody who wants to make a difference. It was the winner of the 2002 Gold Medallion Book Award and has been quoted in numerous journals and articles. It contains information for all the continents and every country in the world.

REVIEW: This book is very long and has taken me over a year to read, a few pages a
Bill
FINISHED!!!!! A 2 year project. Reading Operation World cover to cover has taught me a great deal and shaped my understanding of the church in the world today and of mission. Some major themes:

- The church is growing rapidly in almost every developing country. There are still come very closed countries, but even in those places the church is growing fast. Church planting is associated with most of this growth.
- On the other hand, in the previously Christian developed nations the church is mostly
Chris
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This books is almost like a spiritual or Christian version of a world almanac. It's an interesting read even from a secular point of view.

For a person like me, who worries about politics a lot, this book was very helpful.

The review of one European country said, "Despite greater than ever freedoms,unhappiness,suicide, self-harm, and mental health problems have reached alarming levels. This country leads Europe in abortion, teen pregnancy,binge drinking, drug abuse, violent crime, and non-particip
Jamie Pennington
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: missions, devotionals
I first picked up a copy of Operation World at Urbana 85. Yep, I'm that old. I started reading it but never really got that far and it sat collecting dust on my bookshelf. At some point or another it got tossed. Perhaps after a flood. Anyway after reading a book on missions I was convicted to purchase this book again and read through it. I am glad I did. It is eyeopening.

While the print addition of this book is no doubt out of date the moment it is printed in our rapidly chaning political lands
Brent Barnard
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With this book, you basically pray for one country per day, alphabetically, as the year advances. So in January you start with Afghanistan and move on to... a Z country I guess. Last night was Hungary. If the country is bigger, you pray for it longer - so we're about to start praying for India and we won't stop until July 4. And it breaks the larger nations up into provinces (which typically have a greater population than the average country). A great way to get to know the nations of the world ...more
Chris Shim
Mar 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Part CIA World Factbook, part church strategy, this is an invaluable for us missionaries at home. A great daily guide to praying for the world's lost. "How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whome they have not heard? And how can they hear withotu someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, 'How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!'" Romans 10:14-15
Pemmwa Thee
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You want to know about other cultures and their belief, then thus is a book for you, basically everything you need to know. If you travel thus is a good book to carry with you or to study before you go to other places, so you will know something about thee people before you invade their land. A good bok to have in your collection.
Brent McCulley
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: missiology
The standard text on missions to the nations, Operation World is comprehensive as it is systematic. An excellent reference tool to have on your shelf, as you join countless other believers in praying for the nations. Definitely a must have for the Christian who understands the importance of proper missiology both away and at home.

Brent McCulley
James Griffes
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Operation World is a book that every Christian needs on thier coffee table. It is a constant reminder to pray for the nations and the people groups around the world. For someone who has a heart for missions this book is a must. When I watch the news or a movie or any situation it is cool to look it up and find out how I can pray for that country.
Avary
This is one I'll be reading all year. It is filled with fascinating information and guides to praying for every (?) nation in the world. Recommended in "Radical."

Since I'm not making progress, I've moved this to not finished.
Diane Johnson
Aug 16, 2016 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I pray for a page a day and I highlight the word "pray" in yellow and I say "Lord Jesus I pray ...." I've started through it a second time and am anxious to know when the next edition will be released. I encourage everyone to pray through this book and help our world.
Sue C
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book at a season in my life that I was just learning about the sincerity of third-world Christians. I was fascinated by the information, and even just the geography was mind-opening. I haven't been the same person since!
Matthew Clark
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great resource to see what is going on in the world and how to pray for it. Each country is methodically research and the needs are not generic rewrite of each other. I've gone through this book twice and been very encouraged both times
Nate Cress
Operation World is a book every praying Christian should get their hands on. If I were limited to keeping just two books in my personal library, I'd choose the Bible and Operation World. This book gives you insight into global needs that enhances the impact of your prayer life.
Norma Jesus
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is so much information in this book; it's an amazing work. I could not help but be motivated to pray as I read. I recommend this for anyone who has a heart for the world, or wants to have a heart for the world.
Karen
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographies
I use this every year to pray through for over 10 years. I never can get through it like I would like to, but do as i am able. has so much to do in it.
Bob Steen
Oct 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Family reads this at dinner each night
Jolie
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has been so fun to use with the boys. Looking up where the county is, learning a little, praying for them. It has been such a sweet time!!
Crossroads Ecc
Jan 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Christianity Today editors' review: The who, where, what, why, when, and how many of unreached peoples.
junia
Apr 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
hopefully something i will continue for the rest of my life here on earth.

9/8/07 - i realize, i forgot to bring it to TW -_-
Jake
Aug 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great book for staying aware on global prayer issues! This is the 2001 edition, so hopefully a new edition will come out soon (a lot has changed post-911).
Kristi
Feb 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Awesome^10
Es Ter
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Un libro con información precisa sobre los países menos evangelizados. Me ayudó (y me sigue ayudando) bastante para poder orar de manera más específica.
David
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Awesome! I wish this was on every Christian's bookshelf. Covers all the countries/territories of the world discussing facts, Christian history and prayer points for each.
Ted
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
NO other book quite like this.
Katie
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Unbelievable guide to prayer for the nations.
Duranda
Jul 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in missions
A great book on countries of the world. A great way to pray for those who don't know Jesus.
Main thing you've realised from Operation World? 4 4 May 31, 2013 01:51PM
  • Tell the Truth: The Whole Gospel to the Whole Person by Whole People
  • Rees Howells: Intercessor
  • Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret
  • The Life and Diary of David Brainerd
  • Back to Jerusalem: Three Chinese House Church Leaders Share Their Vision to Complete the Great Commission
  • There's a Sheep in My Bathtub
  • The Kneeling Christian
  • Mary Slessor: Forward Into Calabar
  • A Call to Spiritual Reformation: Priorities from Paul and His Prayers
  • Jungle Pilot
  • The Missionary Call: Find Your Place in God's Plan For the World
Patrick Johnstone was brought up in England as the eldest of six siblings, children of an Irish father and a Dutch mother. He was converted to Christ in 1959 during his first year as a student at Bristol University, while reading Chemistry in preparation to become a research scientist. At a Christian Union meeting, he heard Glyndwr Davies speak about the evangelistic work of the Dorothea Mission i ...more
More about Patrick Johnstone

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $4.99 $1.49
    $4.99 $1.99
  • I Suck at Girls
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems
    $11.99 $3.99
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“Each and every prayer is a tiny piece of a great cosmic puzzle, which when fitted together will allow for the completion of the grand picture of the Almighty Lord's plan for humanity and the universe.” 1 likes
“The simple choice to pray usually happens to the exclusion of something else in our lives. Often that something else is frivolous, but at times prayer must come at the expense of important things, such as our own work, our sleep or our time with loved ones.” 0 likes