Start by marking “The Oldest Trick (Saga of the Redeemed #1-2)” as Want to Read:
The Oldest Trick (Saga of the Redeemed #1-2)

The Oldest Trick

(Saga of the Redeemed #1-2)

Compiled for the first time, The Oldest Trick comprises The Iron Ring and Iron and Blood in the Saga of the Redeemed

Tyvian Reldamar gets betrayed by his longtime partner and left for dead in a freezing river. To add insult to injury, his mysterious rescuer took it upon himself to affix Tyvian with an iron ring that prevents the wearer from any evildoing.

Revenge j
Published September 29th 2015 by Harper Voyager Impulse (first published July 14th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Oldest Trick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oldest Trick

Start your review of The Oldest Trick (Saga of the Redeemed #1-2)
Maryam
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Oldest Trick is the story of Tyvian Reldamar's journey toward revenge with an iron ring attached to his finger. The story takes place in a well-built fantasy world. I think Auston Habershaw has done a great job in describing details and conveying the magical sense of place to the readers.
The characters felt so real to me. Tyvian, to me, is a good reminder of human beings' resistance to change; how we sometimes feel so comfortable in who we are and confident in our actions that we don't
Bear
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I hovered between the ratings because this was a great book, but it was slow to start and it took me ages to like the main character, who is a bit like Han Solo but more of a dick and rather less likable. As well, Artus is a bit unlikable, as is Myreon, and... well, I liked Hool a lot from the beginning.

However, as the story progresses, these characters really grow on you! For all their idiotic or dickish behavior, they have their merits and these things shine through time and time again. I app
Jamie Colleran
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great fun read

Great characters....fun adventure....this was a great read. I love fantasy but they all seem to follow a boring pattern lately...this book breaks that pattern.
David
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Are you tired of the word grimdark? Do you miss the greats like David Eddings and David Gemmel? I know I do. And if you're like me, then I have good news: this is the fantasy for you.

Habershaw keeps modern sensibilities of nuanced and flawed characters while still managing to write a novel where I don't hate every character (I'm looking at you Joe Abercromie and George R.R. Martin). In fact, I liked them all - even the villain.

But don't worry, it's not all sunshine and light, and th
Ron
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, fantasy, humor
“I always have a plan. It just so happens in this instance, it’s not a good plan and subject to change as we go along. Follow me.”

A welcome addition to the fantasy universe. Wise-cracking, know-it-all smugglers have been done, but Habershaw does Tyvian with his tongue so far into his cheek that it must hurt. Good job.

“He may run out of simplistic ethical aphorisms any moment.”

Engaging, multi-thread fantasy adventure set in a typical pseudo-medieval, magic-usin
Michelle
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a good, fun fantasy! I loved the complicated story and I wanted more of the roguish and hilarious Tyvian, the earnest Arlan, the surprisingly honor-bound Hool, and poor Myreon! And is it just me, or did anyone else think that Tyvian was very Han Solo-ish? Definitely for fans of Scott Lynch; highly recommended for everyone else. Can't wait for the next one!
Sylvia
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-copy
This was my commute read, and I nearly forgot to get off at the right stop several times.
Grillables
Aug 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
A fine fantasy adventure, slightly marred by the author's tendency to tell rather than show - but it was an entertaining read and I'll look up the next one.
roy  douglas lynch
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robuster

The book has a very good hook. A ring that makes a Villain into the man he has run from for as long as h can remember. A cast of side kicks and a true Villain that needed much more development.
There is a lot here to like but also as much to dislike. It needed some more editing. A few less twists and turns that seemed to be thrown in for little rhyme or reason.The actual plot gets lost in the on going storytelling. It didn't need to.
Worth the effort to read. I did enjoy it. There is pr
Natalie
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed following Tyvian Reldamar’s journey in this series! I felt these stories had a unique take on magic and what being a hero is all about. These 4 books were all captivating and had me laughing out loud quite a few times! I finished the first one thinking, “That was great!” The second one I finished and thought, “This one is my favorite now!” Honestly, that happened after finishing each one, they were all so good-- I had difficulty deciding which one I liked the most (though, I ...more
Susan Van der Koon
The Oldest Trick is a winner

I pick up more books for my library than I have time to read. Usually, I read a sample, acquire the book and remove from my Kindle to read at some point later. However, with this book I was compelled to keep on reading and I'm glad I did. I enjoyed the writing, characters, their development and the witty maneuvering of all. The only small complaint I have is the alternating use of first and last names for characters. I was slow to pair the names and thus had a diff
Tom
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very nice light-hearted fantasy even though the bad guy wants to destroy the world. The plot was well laid out with a few twists and surprises. Intrigue present. Clever wit, yes.

This book was offered free from Harper Collins. A sincere thanks to them. And the sequel is available for a reasonable $3.99 which I'll definitely read.
Rochelle
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh how I enjoyed this tale of mischief and magic! I loved the characters and the main character was a hoot. I had so many LOL moments reading this book that my hubby must have thought I'd gone mad.
I can't wait to read the 3rd book.
Sean
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
found this book by chance. a good read good humour good use of magic. I liked the main character as well. looking forward to the next installment.
Keith Clasen
Jul 27, 2015
Lee Selwood
Jul 06, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Uncanny Collateral (Valkyrie Collections, #1)
  • The Death of Me (Johannes Cabal, #3.2)
  • The Red Plague Affair (Bannon & Clare, #2)
  • The Iron Wyrm Affair (Bannon & Clare, #1)
  • Johannes Cabal the Necromancer (Johannes Cabal, #1)
  • Johannes Cabal the Detective (Johannes Cabal, #2)
  • Ender's Shadow (The Shadow Series, #1)
  • Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #3)
  • Thrawn: Treason (Star Wars: Thrawn, #3)
  • Monster Hunter Guardian (Monster Hunter International, #7)
  • Eva
  • The Wolf's Call (Raven's Blade #1)
  • Cryptonomicon
  • Grey Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #2)
  • Master of None (All Trades, #1)
  • Adventurer Academy (Greyblood, #1)
  • Earth Force (Relict Legacy Book 1)
  • Lighting Distant Shores (Challenger's Call Book 4)
On the day Auston Habershaw was born, Skylab fell from space. When he learned of this as a small boy, it pretty much sealed his authorial fate.

After over a decade's worth of odd jobs, part-time passions, and pointless diversions, Auston now teaches English at a university and writes novels and stories all the rest of the time. He lives in the city of his birth, Boston, Massachusetts, with his wif

Saga of the Redeemed (5 books)
  • The Iron Ring (Saga of the Redeemed Book I Part I)
  • Iron and Blood (Saga of the Redeemed Book I Part II)
  • No Good Deed (Saga of the Redeemed Book II)
  • Dead But Once (Saga of the Redeemed Book III)
  • The Far Far Better Thing: Saga of the Redeemed: Book IV