Start by marking “The Outliers (The Outliers, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Outliers (The Outliers, #1)

The Outliers (The Outliers #1)

3.29  ·  Rating details ·  5,483 Ratings  ·  919 Reviews
It all starts with a text: Please, Wylie, I need your help.

Wylie hasn’t heard from Cassie in over a week, not since their last fight. But that doesn’t matter. Cassie’s in trouble, so Wylie decides to do what she has done so many times before: save her best friend from herself.

This time it’s different, though. Instead of telling Wylie where she is, Cassie sends cryptic clue
Published May 3rd 2016 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Outliers, please sign up.
Kimberly McCreight It's a character driven mystery set in the present with a speculative element. Best wishes!

Kim
Kimberly McCreight I'm sorry, somehow I didn't see this question! THE SCATTERING comes out on May 2nd--not that long anymore. Thanks for asking!

Emily May
Dec 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book is nuts. Abso-freaking-lutely nuts. And it just kept getting worse. Like, laughably bad.

We didn't start out on the best terms. I've seen variations of these YA crime/mystery stories many times and I've lost count of how many involve a missing/dead best friend, a hot guy who was involved with said best friend (a douche who turns out to be not so much a douche), a mysterious text, and two teens deciding to solve a mystery without telling any parents or police - and, seriously, they never
Why are the bad things always so much easier to believe?

I read Where They Found Her and loved it. Reconstructing Amelia has been at the top of my TBR ever since. When I heard Kimberly McCreight would be writing a young adult series, to say I was excited would be an understatement. The beginning was what I would expect out of McCreight and it had me excited until the book kind of flipped on its head in the last quarter.

Wylie is sixteen, lives with her dad and twin brother Gideon in Boston, and
Wendy Darling
Hah hah hah, what. This book is looney tunes.

ETA: I can't even make enough sense of it to write a review, I'm just gonna refer you to Emily May's instead. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I'm fascinated by how random books like this manage to hit the bestseller list. FASCINATED.
Taneika
I received this book for free from HarperCollins Australia in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

When I first got my hands on this, I was SO FREAKING EXCITED. I'm always on the lookout for YA mysteries/thrillers and this sounded like exactly what I was looking for. The synopsis sounds AWESOME. Unfortunately though, it didn't deliver.

The Outliers is the story of a girl names Wylie, whose friend named Cassie, goes missing. Cassie'
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

This book is brought to you by . . . .

WARNING: THAR WILL BE SPOILAGE

Like many of you, I read Reconstructing Amelia and was quite satisfied with it – enough so that I recommended it to other mystery/thriller lovers. Where They Found Her didn’t quite live up to the hype, but it was still decent. This one though???? Good Jeebus!

The premise is that Wylie became an extreme agoraphobe after the death of her mother. Said agoraphobia has c
Ben Alderson
Aug 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
DNF

really sad about that, this book was just so weird to me
Dannii Elle
I received this book on a read to review basis from NetGalley. Thank you to the author, Kimberly McCreight , and the publisher, Harper Collins, for this opportunity.

Wow! Well this book absolutely blew me away! I am writing this fresh off finishing the book and my mouth is still gaping at the shocking, cliff-hanger ending that has left me feeling utterly despondent that I have to wait a whole year or more until the next installment of this series is released!

If you like action-packed reading that
Lala BooksandLala
This turned into a totally different story than I was expecting but I kinda dug it. Definitely a good set up for a series.

“You were right. About everything, I just wasn’t ready to hear it. But I’m ready now. For whatever happens.”

This was a YA mystery/thriller, but it was a bit weird in places.

Wylie was an okay character, and I could understand why she would want to help her friend, even if they hadn’t spoken in a while. I actually felt pretty sorry for her because of the way she had so rec
Sammy
May 24, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
(1.5 stars)
I did not enjoy this book, at all.

Firstly, why the bloody smeg would you put a plot spoiler in the blurb!?!????!

And secondly, you can't define your character with a panic disorder/anxiety/agoraphobia, and then just forget about it when you want to move on with the plot. 'Oh, Ill just take a few deep breaths and now I'm magically cured of my condition?'
*snorts* okay.

There are a lot of other things I want to discuss (rant) about, so I will write up a proper review on my blog soon.
Amanda
Apr 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
Thank you to HarperCollins UK, Children's & Kimberly McCreight for my copy of the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

What the actual?! This book is crazy, and not the good kind of crazy it's the crazy that should be locked up and tended to by professionals! I have been sitting for a couple of days now wondering how to write a review on it because nothing stuck in my mind about the characters that I liked, the only thing that stuck was they need some serious therapy.

Wylie's best friend Ca
Isa Cantos (Crónicas de una Merodeadora)
Este libro me gustó tan poco que me da hasta pereza escribir la reseña. Aquí el punto es que Cassie está desparecida y enviándoles mensajes extraños a Wylie, su mejor amiga, y a su novio. Ellos van a tener que ir a buscarla, a pesar de que Wylie está traumatizada y le cuesta muchísimo salir de casa tras la muerte de su madre, y van a terminar enredados en una trama que cuesta un montón entender y a la que no puedes evitar ponerle cara de WTF todo el rato.

No sé ustedes, pero a mí me parece una pé
Mary Kubica
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
From one of my favorite authors comes this spectacular YA release, which will easily appeal to teens and adults alike. Gripping from the get go, I read THE OUTLIERS over the course of a single weekend; I couldn't put it down, and was shocked by the twists and turns the novel took as well as the jaw dropping ending. This one releases in May 2016 - well worth the wait, but preorder now. You'll be glad you did! I can't wait for the next installment in this series.
Anita Vela
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lecturas-2016
Reseña completa: http://anitavelabooks.blogspot.com.es...

Me sabe muy mal decirlo, pero no me ha convencido mucho este libro. Tenía MUY buena pinta y la promo mantenía una intriga increíble, pero cuando he empezado a leerlo no era lo que me esperaba, porque la historia no tiene mucho sentido, me esperaba algo más elaborado, más intriga y menos lioso todo.

Y no tiene mucho sentido por varios motivos:
· El primero son los personajes, no te dicen nada y hacen cosas que sin pensar en las consecuencia
Srta Books
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leídos-2016
Ha sido un libro que he devorado, desde que me puse ayer con él no lo he podido soltar. Me ha gustado esta primera parte. Los personajes son lo único que me han fallado un poco, me esperaba mucho más de ellos. Aun así la historia ha estado bien y me ha entretenido bastante. Lo recomiendo :)
Kelli
Dec 27, 2016 added it
Shelves: ya
I wasn't the intended audience for this book, though I'm not sure the intended audience would love it either.
Juan Vorágine
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016-8-agosto
Un libro muy en la línea de "Veinte preguntas para Gloria".
No he podido disfrutar de él porque me he encontrado con personajes planos, con los que no he podido conectar en ningún momento, ya que los he sentido siempre distantes; la historia no engancha prácticamente en ningún momento; y, en conclusión, le falta mucho desarrollo. Me ha parecido un libro que sería bueno si se hubieran pulido esos detalles a tiempo, puesto que afectan mucho a la percepción global de la obra.

Reseña completa: http://
Jay G
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Want to see more from me? Check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

Wylie's friend Cassie has gone missing. Jasper, Cassie's boyfriend shows up at her house and then she receives a text message from Cassie saying she needs help. Wylie and Jasper decide to get in his car and go rescue Cassie themselves.

The scenario of the book was DEFINITELY unbelievable and far fetched, which has been the major complaint for many people reviewing this book. In my opinion, it's not th
Leslie
Jan 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Very different 'feel' than the author's first 2 novels--both of which I enjoyed a lot. This one seemed discombobulated & hazy with a sort of aloof vibe throughout. Dropping my review to 2.5 stars as the narration of the audiobook was quite irritating/grating; I hate to say it, seeing as how I am a fan of her other novels, but am almost tempted to give this one 2 stars. However, the story was pretty interesting if not somewhat confounding.
Tessa
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5* - This book just wasn't for me and I was quite disappointed with it, it was not what I was expecting. However, I do think this series has potential and look forward to seeing if it improves with the next instalment
Maggie
May 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
So I didn't understand this book. And now it's going to be a series. No, thank you. Terrible book.
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
After the death of her mother, Wylie has a hard time leaving the house. Her best friend Cassie has started to distance herself from Wylie, and has also started getting into some trouble. When Cassie goes missing and Wylie receives a text from Cassie asking her to help her, she decides to leave her house for the first time in three weeks to go rescue her friend. Again. Cassie’s boyfriend Jasper also receives a text asking him to meet with Wylie and join her on her attempt to rescue Cassie. The tw ...more
Grace {Rebel Mommy Book Blog}
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Review
I always love a good mystery/thriller. I find it is harder to find really good ones in the YA genre in general. I liked Reconstructing Amelia from this author so I was pretty excited. Overall, I think it did a fairly good job of delivering.

Wylie hasn't left her house in a really long time. After her mother died things got really bad for her and deteriorated over time despite seeing a therapist. When her best friend Cassie who she hasn't spoken to in a while goes missing Wylie is worried.
Erin Clemence
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of “Reconstructing Amelia” and was looking forward to reading Kimberley McCreight’s new YA novel, “The Outliers”. I was, once again, pleasantly entertained. Who are the Outliers? Well I certainly can’t tell you that without revealing major spoilers. What I can tell you is this novel is a mysterious, suspense-fueled delight.
Wylie receives a strange text from her once-estranged best friend Cassie. When Cassie’s boyfriend Jasper shows up at Wylie’s door, her worst fears are confirm
Olga Kowalska (WielkiBuk)
An intersting beginning of a new series.
I am positively surprised by the plot and outcome of this novel - it is a fast-paced story of friendship, sacrifice and transgression of ones fears and phobias. It is filled with action, intriguing choices and an ending that may be shocking for some readers, or just unexpected for the others.
I should mention that this is a series meant for younger readers, for teenagers, because the choices of characters and the plot itself is constructed for a younger mi
Colleen Oakes
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, ya, thriller
A book that carries itself with a certain kind of intensity is always deserving of a good read, and that's what I recommend for The Outliers...time. Find a good couple of hours, cozy up and lose yourself. You'll want that isolation. There was one scene in the book that was so scary and unnerving that I had to put the book down because I was getting freaked out in my hotel room. (The baby. SHIVER.) Kudos also to the lovely Kimberly McCreight for creating a truly flawed heroine, a girl whose anxie ...more
Elizabeth
Dec 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
This was fucking ridiculous. I was so annoyed with Wiley and the way her agoraphobia just magically "got better" when Cassie needed her. I suffer from this and yeah, I would have totally texted "Still can't leave the house. Call the police. Good luck!" She also made the worst decisions ever. Sure, I'll go to a place I'm not sure of with a guy I don't really know because my BFF sends me some cryptic texts. I'm not gonna tell an adult, though, because CLEARLY I can handle this all on my own. And t ...more
Stacy
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is why I read YA!

Great pacing, great dynamics, and edge of your seats plot drives this novel that you cannot put down. I asked myself several times, "What the hell is happening?" and not once did I guess correctly.

The inside of Wylie's head is fascinating and weirdly comforting. I love this plucky heroine.
Daisy
I have read all of Kimberly McCreight's books. I have enjoyed all of them. I think this was the best so far.

I felt like I was on the edge of my seat and my heart was racing throughout the whole book. Whenever I picked this book up I didn't want to put it down. There were many twists and turns. The ending left me hang and I'm so excited for the next book to be released.
Suzanne Leopold
The book is $1.99 today 11/21 -digital platforms . Book 2 comes out May 2017

• V for Violet
  • A Walk in the Sun
  • The Bone Sparrow
  • The Telling
  • Take The Fall
  • Knights of the Borrowed Dark (Knights of the Borrowed Dark #1)
  • Holding Smoke
  • Breathing Under Water
  • The Boundless Sublime
  • The Astrologer's Daughter
  • Paper Butterflies
  • Risk
  • The Safest Lies
  • Pushing Perfect
  • The Foretelling of Georgie Spider (The Tribe, #3)
  • We Know It Was You (Strange Truth, #1)
  • Deception (Pandora Jones, #2)
  • The Mystery of Hollow Places
Kimberly McCreight is the New York Times bestselling author of Reconstructing Amelia, which was nominated for an Edgar, Anthony and Alex award. She attended Vassar College and graduated cum laude from the University of Pennsylvania Law School. She lives in Brooklyn with her husband and two daughters. You can find her on Facebook, Twitter and at kimberlymccreight.com
More about Kimberly McCreight

The Outliers (3 books)
  • The Scattering (The Outliers, #2)
  • The Collide (The Outliers #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Sometimes, it feels like he’s trying to rebuild our lives out of matchsticks. And I do love him for that. But loving someone isn’t the same thing as understanding them.” 5 likes
“So much of what people believe makes no sense, Wylie.” 0 likes