Start by marking “The Fall of Butterflies” as Want to Read:
The Fall of Butterflies

The Fall of Butterflies

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  783 Ratings  ·  174 Reviews
Willa Parker, 646th and least-popular resident of What Cheer, Iowa, is headed east to start a new life. Did she choose this life? No, because that would be too easy—and nothing in Willa’s life is easy. It’s her famous genius mother’s idea to send her to ultra-expensive, ultra-exclusive Pembroke Prep, and Willa has no intention of fitting in. But when she meets peculiar, gl ...more
Published May 10th 2016 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Fall of Butterflies, please sign up.
Megan I'd say no. It's one of those books that there is the tension between the two female characters, but it doesn't go anywhere. More of an infatuation…moreI'd say no. It's one of those books that there is the tension between the two female characters, but it doesn't go anywhere. More of an infatuation than romance.(less)

Karen
Mar 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, contemporary
This review was done by KissinBlueKaren

This was such a fun book about a girl going to an ivy league high school across the country from her actual home. Willa’s mother is famous for her brain and her father is just a regular guy. Of course she grew up with her dad and hasn’t seen her mother in years, but that doesn’t stop her mother from trying to dictate her academically. Willa agrees to attend Pembroke Prep, there she meets a girl who will change her life. Remy is the sort of girl everyone w

“It’s a bathtub. A haunted bathtub.”

This was a YA contemporary story, about a girl at boarding school and illegal drugs.

Willa was an okay character, although she was maybe a bit of a follower. The way she kept going on about her haunted bathtub was quite annoying though.

The storyline in this was about Willa going to a new school, freaking out over her haunted bathroom (w
Vem Night
Jun 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I like the story but...
A light read and definitely good one but not good enough for me to give five stars. Giving it three because it doesn't suit me well. Some parts I felt it was dragging and to be honest I was hoping for a better ending. There wasn't much a climax and a resolution, not to mention my ship sailed. I got this feeling that there wasn't any closure at all.

What I like about the story is its loyalty to the story line and it's about and finding yourelf. The humor added is absolutely
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss

The Fall of Butterflies is a standalone contemporary Young Adult book. This is my first book by this author.

The narrator is 16 year old Willa from Iowa. She is leaving home to go to Pembroke Boarding School on the East Coast.

The writing style is very odd. The narrator talks to the reader.

I didn't really connect with a lot of the characters in this book. Many of the kids that go to this school are rich and snobby. They basically don't even have to attend classes if they don't feel like it. I was
♡Ann  Matalines♡

Warning: This book contains omigawd-she-didn’t spectacle, and the other half is pretty familiar not to mention inconsistent.
Melissa
Why is it always harder to write reviews about books you truly love?

Nevertheless, I have to try. Because, you guys, The Fall of Butterflies is magnificent. And I encourage everyone in the world to run--yes, run--to the nearest bookstore--and yes, brick and mortar bookstore--and purchase a copy of this masterpiece. It will make you cry, it will make you laugh over and over again, it will make you feel understood. It will make you feel. And isn't that why we all read? Why we all live?

Willa is the
Cesar
May 10, 2016 rated it liked it

There are lots of problems people have in the world. Many of them are different from certain groups or individuals. But the problem here in this book is: Rich People Problems.

The Fall of Butterflies isn't necessarily about rich people problems. It's still there, but it also focuses on Willa and her journey from being a girl from Iowa to attending an elite school and making friends with Remy.

To me, this was a good book. It wasn't a book that took me by surprise. The best way I can des
AH
About 3.5 stars (just because I had to put this book down and start over at a later date).

Full disclosure - I'm definitely not the target demographic for this book. However, I do have teenage nieces who may or may not be interested in this book.....

When I first started reading The Fall of Butterflies, I was a little bored. Same old story, teenage girl with an absentee parental unit plotting her own demise. I'll admit it, I put the book down for a bit and went on with my business. I picked up the
Lilian
Jun 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewcopy
I'm finding it so hard to rate this book. I found so many elements of myself within the main character that I'm literally sitting here tossing between giving this book either a 3 or 4. I enjoyed the POV, the characters, the refreshing plot, the way the author talked about friendship. I just, this book was beautiful in so many ways yet did also have some excruciating flaws. (expect a full review soon - I need to reflect on everything that just happened, holy crap).
Tonyalee
See this review and more on my blog, Lilybloombooks

The Fall of Butterflies was a new-to-me book that I had not seen much of before requesting it for review on audio. I’ve been in a contemporary mood, and this was the perfect book to satisfy my new habit of mood reading.

I loved the writing. It’s told in the second person, with Willa narrating to you as the reader. It was a fun and unique was to be pulled into the story, especially given the state of mind that Willa was in at the beginning of the
Caitlen
DNF @ 20%. I just...can't. I can't get through all the wordiness and redundancy. I would guess that if the author actually cut out what wasn't needed and got to the point, this book would be a short story or short novella. Like, seriously. I still have no idea where this book was going because of all the little side notes and reminders about things the narrator had already mentioned like twenty times. Ugh and now I have a headache from it all.
Megan
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
With the average Goodreads rating being so low, I thought this book was gonna be an easy book to fly through, rate 2 stars, and throw to the side. Uhh, I don't know why, but I kind of enjoyed this book. It felt fresh and the narrator's voice was one that I haven't yet encountered, which is definitely a feat considering how many voices I have read. I could definitely relate to her thoughts at this time in my life, and I'm 19 years old. That might be bad..

Nevertheless, Mile is turning my head int
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it

This was a pretty good book about a small-town gal whose absentee mother wangles her into a prestigious boarding school where she plans to commit suicide.

So this isn't exactly the cheeriest start to a book and I never really got to grips with why Willa wanted to off herself. Still, the author manages to lift the mood considerably by not really talking about Willa's intended suicide for the rest of the book and instead regaling us with the escapades and pranks that Willa and her new boar
Christine
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WAY better than anatomy of a misfit.
I guess I could relate to Willa, and that's what made this book so interesting to me. Nothing special here. I guess it's one of those books where if u can relate you'll enjoy it. If I can't then u won't.
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Yet another book that started out with such potential but failed to deliver.

Full review can be found here: https://agingerlyreview.wordpress.com...

This is yet another debut novel that was a huge disappointment. I picked it up because I wanted to try to read outside of my normal genre and it bothers me that these books are not living up to my low expectations.

This is the story of Willa and Remy, two girls who become amazing friends while at an ivy league high school. Willa has a mother that is fa
Molly
Dec 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Huge thank you to HarperCollins for sending me an ARC for review!

I was NOT expecting to love this book as much as I did. I started reading it because I was in the mood for something contemporary and I remembered really enjoying Portes' previous YA title. I got SUCKED into this book and read almost 200 pages in one sitting. I was expecting a typical small town girl goes to expensive prep school and gets sucked into a new, exciting world, story butttttt this took an unexpected dark turn. And I lov
Ajita
Willa leaves What Cheer, Iowa at the insistence of mother and goes to boarding school. She has already figured out she’ll never return, because Willa is planning to commit suicide. On her first day at school, she meets Remy, the toughest girl she has ever seen. Everyone wants to be Remy’s friend because she’s Remy Taft, relative of the president. Remy finds Willa refreshing and decides that she can be her best friend.

In the beginning I was excited. Willa tells the story directly to you, the rea
Ms. Yingling
Kept reading this one because I wanted to know if Willa survives. She mentions wanting to commit suicide at the beginning of the book, and it is also mentioned a couple of other times, almost in a joking, light hearted way. Not a topic that I find funny.

This is definitely young adult, with a roommate having an affair with a teacher, and a liberal use of f-bombs. Will definitely pass.
John Clark
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Take a smart, but wounded girl, have her mother become rich and famous, then abandon her while still controlling part of her life. Don't let her fit in with anyone at school except for the misfits with whom she bonds. Then have her absent mother force her to attend a super fancy prep school without any concern for how the girl feels. Add a roommate who seems alive and daring, but when the veneer wears off, is just as fragile (maybe more so). Mix well and you have Willa Parker. Read this story an ...more
Kaitlin
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
*I received an early copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I have to laugh at myself. My first impression of this book was bad, but then as I got further and further into it, I slowly warmed up to it and started really liking it, though it still wasn't proving to be a great book. Then the ending blew me away and left me on that sort of happy cloud that I get to visit after reading really good books. A happy reading cloud? Is that what I should call it?

I went from almost DNFing this
Tara
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an ok read, I enjoyed it but didn't really connect with the characters or the story. I actually kept waiting for Remy and Miles to turn out to be fairies but when I was half way through I realised it wasn't going to happen and they were just regular people. I did like the message at the end and was glad Willa could make some decisions for herself.
Ally
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
The Fall of Butterflies: gorgeous cover with a story that doesn't really mention real butterflies.

So we have Willa from What Cheer, Iowa who has an awesome single dad and a strict famous economist mom that judges her life from a distance. She gets sent to Pembroke, an all girls boarding school, where she thinks she won't fit in until she meets the colorful, popular Remy. Remy introduces her to a fast and fun way of life, and Willa thinks everything is going just fine...until she learns that Rem
Ryan
After I read Portes’s first novel, I wasn’t impressed. Honestly, The Fall of Butterflies wasn’t that much better, but it was still an improvement.

A four sentence summary:
Willa leaves What Cheer, Iowa to attend the prestigious Pembroke Prep. Willa befriends the mysterious, quirky, school rebel Remy Taft. Willa and Remy get into trouble and do lots of drugs together. The end.

Characters: I disliked every character in this book. I actually don’t even think we were supposed to feel sympathetic towar
Tanja Voosen
Ich wusste nicht wirklich, was ich von dem Buch zu erwarten hatte. Kennt ihr das? Ihr lest den Klappentext und denkt: worum genau soll es da jetzt gehen? So war das hier auch. Eine Weile dachte ich, es geht um Willas Familie. Dann, dass das Buch eine LGBT Wende nimmt. Am Ende war die Story aber doch ganz anders, als ich mir erhofft hatte - nicht schlecht, aber auch nicht wirklich überzeugend. Anatomy Of A Misfit war damals ein mega Glücksgriff für mich, weil ich das Buch der Autorin klasse fand! ...more
Sophie
2 stars.

There were a lot of things I disliked about this book. Not gonna lie. It was a riveting enough novel to get me to read it, and it was interesting... but... well...

I found the writing style of this book to be kind of... I don't know. I mean, it was told as if Willa (the main character) was telling the reader the story. But it wasn't that that bothered me, at least not specifically that... It was mostly the character of Willa Parker, because as she wrote she seemed extremely judgmental, co
Audrey Wilkerson
Willa Parker (whose name you don’t know until Chapter 5) has decided to leave her cafeteria table of gentle misfits and go to boarding school. Though she hasn’t spoken to her mother in a long while, she knew her mom could pull the appropriate strings and get her in the ultra-exclusive Pembroke Prep. An all-girls school on the east coast, it’s a long train ride away from her loving and encouraging father in What Cheer, Iowa. She doesn’t plan on staying there very long, and in that end, is encoura ...more
Joshua Lee
Oct 28, 2016 rated it liked it
In the book The Fall of Butterflies by Andrea Portes, the author’s writing style is fun and informal. The book is written in first person, while occasionally breaking the fourth wall. The narrator is the main character, named Willa Parker, and because Willa is a teenager, the book is written the way a teenager might think or speak. Portes writes in a way that may be somewhat confusing to follow at times, but it adds to the realness of the mind of a teenager. She constantly adds witty, sarcastic ...more
Cold Brew Reads
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-contemporary
A very unusual novel — if YA has been tending in the direction of voice-ier, catchier prose instead of a more quotidian, journalistic style, this book is the former cranked up to 11. No, 11 million. Alternately sort of stream-of-consciousness and address directly to the reader, the effervescence of the prose ultimately makes the novel great, both in tossed-off lines that poke fun at YA descriptive conventions and establish a savagely smart narrator ("She shrugs. I shrug. It's like a shrugging co ...more
PinkAmy loves  💕 books📖, cats😻 and naps🛏
GRADE: C

Willa, a brilliant girl with a unique brain has never quite fit in with others. Now she's on scholarship at a ritzy boarding school and Remy, the most popular girl in the school has chosen Willa as a partner in crime. But with Willa's friendship comes danger in the form of drugs and reckless behavior. How much is popularity worth?

Andrea Portes gave Willa an irreverent, sarcastic voice. THE FALL OF BUTTERFLIES felt like a conversation between Willa and the reader, because she used second
Lauren Murray
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
I told myself - no, FORCED myself- to finish this book for the main purpose to see if there was a plot. Good news: there is. It just doesn't come through until 2/3rds way through the novel.

Positives to this piece: it's told from the perspective of a Mid-Western girl in a snooty East Coast environment. Probably the most interesting aspects. But that's about it.

Downsides (the short list): Plot. Too many dangling, unnecessary strings (ghost and flimsy love interest, teacher-student affair [number
First5: The Fall of Butterflies 4 23 Apr 25, 2016 02:26PM
  • Sometimes We Tell the Truth
  • Autofocus
  • A Walk in the Sun
  • The Upside of Unrequited
  • Finding Abbey Road (Exile #3)
  • Sing
  • Radio Silence
  • Traitor Angels
  • Spark
  • Something in Between
  • Ask Me How I Got Here
Andrea Portes is a bestselling American novelist.

Her novels include HICK, BURY THIS, ANATOMY OF A MISFIT, and THE FALL OF BUTTERFLIES. Portes is also the author of the upcoming LIBERTY book series and the upcoming HENRY & EVA book series. She also published the SUPER RAD graphic novel series for Dark Matter Comics.

Portes was raised in rural Nebraska, outside of Lincoln. She attended Bryn Mawr
“So you're like… living in the margins, making your case in the margins, trying to make a difference maybe, from the margins...but nobody really wants to listen to you. To see you.
'Cause you’re not the story they want to tell.”
1 likes