Start by marking “This Is My Brain on Boys” as Want to Read:
This Is My Brain on Boys

This Is My Brain on Boys

Addie Emerson doesn’t believe in love. Not for herself, anyway. With one year left of high school, she’s more interested in snagging a full scholarship to Harvard than a full-time boyfriend.

That doesn’t mean she’s oblivious to the ways of the heart. Or, rather, the head. Because after months of research, Addie has discovered how to make anyone fall in love. All you need is
Published May 10th 2016 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about This Is My Brain on Boys, please sign up.
Kaidyn Waggoner This book does not have any profanity but it does have some mature themes.

Start your review of This Is My Brain on Boys
Sarah Elizabeth

“Neural pathways,” he heard himself say in sudden clarity. “I laid down new ones in Nepal and wasn’t prepared to deal with the implications.”

This was a YA contemporary story, with a bit of science.

Addie was really dedicated to her work in this book, and took her experiments really seriously. She really did come across as quite a smart girl, and I liked her theori
Sophia
Mar 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

i've adored sarah strohmeyer ever since i read smart girls get what they want and i was quite excited to see this up on edelweiss. i downloaded it, read it in two days, and really enjoyed it. it's exactly what i was expecting--cute, charming, funny, and very fun. the book was admittedly very predictable and addie's character bordered on grating with her style of speech, but overall, i thought this book was such a fun read.
Kim at Divergent Gryffindor
This Is My Brain on Boys is an unusual book in that the manner in which the main character speaks reminds me of Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory, and I'm not sure if that works for written novels.

What I didn't like:
1. The three robots: There are 3 people in this book who speak like Sheldon - Addie, Dex and Mrs. Brooks. I mean, I think it would have been understandable if Addie was the only one who was like that, but no, there are three of them. That made it unrealistic.

2. Tess and Addie
Stacee
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
The synopsis of this sounded perfect to me and I was eager to get to reading it.

Addie is a lot of fun, but in an unintentional way. I couldn't stop cackling at how she took everything so literally. I loved how Kris and BFF Tess so quickly became fluent in Addie-speak.

The experiments were interesting enough and while the science was definitely there, it wasn't too science-y. I liked how things evolved at the end and the last couple of chapters were awesome.

I would have loved just a bit more at
Debby
1 star

My fond memories of Sarah Strohmeyer's Smart Girls Get What They Want were immediately evoked when I heard her newest title: This Is My Brain on Boys. Nerdy cute contemporaries are my jam, you might say. But whereas her debut novel was charming, fun, and practically perfect, this book was... not. Uh oh.

The premise of this book sure was a promising one. You have a main character who doesn't believe in love. She wants to research the biological aspect of it though, with a theory that any two
zainab
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Addie is a neuroscience nerd who is conducting an experiment on people falling in love. However, she has no plans of falling in love herself because she wants to get a full scholarship to Harvard and not a boyfriend. But, then she meets this guy on a plane and he’s “tall, dark and handsome” and both are obviously attracted to each other. But, the attractive guy has secrets that might not be well-loved by Addie.

Addie is a fun character. She makes jokes even without realizing that she’s joking. Sh
Mel (Daily Prophecy)
1.5 stars.

It went from: OH this is really fun and I love Addie! Girls as scientists are my thing! She is such a smart cookie and I love her experiment.

But soon she was a little too serious for my taste. She was a bit like Sheldon in that way and it did not work on the paper for me. Like the scene where someone told her someone 'fell from the face of the earth' and she tells him without blinking that 'the earth does not have a face.'

No shit, Sherlock.

I also did not appreciate how Kris treated his
Kylie
You want cotton candy? This is your book. Pure beautiful fluffy sugar. Super cutesy and adorable, as well as really easy to read. Exactly what I was in the mood for; light and fun.
Joy (joyous reads)
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-2016
Socially awkward brainiacs has a special place in my heart. I feel a certain inexplicable kinship towards them that is in protective almost. I admire the way they see life without the emotional hang-ups that muddle it all. It’s in the way they can compartmentalize and explain their feelings with utter practicality. They’re walking encyclopedias full of knowledge about anything and everything, but completely useless when it comes to relationships and social interactions. I knew I had to read this ...more
Mar 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
3.5/5 stars

This Is My Brain on Boys is a standalone YA contemporary romance.

It is told in the third person and there are alternating narrators, Adelaide/Addie and Kris.

Addie is a socially awkward brainiac who goes to boarding school in Boston. She is a high school senior. The book starts with her on a plane going back to school.

Kris goes to the same boarding school but he got into some trouble earlier in the year. So he is having to make amends.

The main premise of the book has to do with a scie
alex
Jun 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Debating between 3.5 and 4 stars. This was a cute, quick read that had a smart girl interested in STEM (!!!) but I had a few minor issues with it. Full review to come!
Nasty Lady MJ
Jun 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
To see review with Shelly gifs click here.

Recently YA authors have been fond of the Sheldon Cooper trope which is to have the mostly socially awkward protagonist possible and then hit them with the teenage love stick and bam the lose 100 IQ points and turn into Bella Swan or any other stupid YA protagonist.

Such is the case with This is My Brain on Boys. I’ve heard lots of great things about Sarah Strohmeyer’s YA books, though personally I’ve always been a bit lukewarm to them or the one I read.
Jacqueline Barber
Christine Alibutud
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
To say that this book was so full of intellectual science knowledge and factoids is definitely putting it lightly.

I am by no means a science expert—heck, it was my weakest subject during grade school & high school—so it was safe to personally assume that I wouldn't enjoy this as much as I'd like to BUT that wasn't the case. I can't believe that I liked it. So much.

The book, although full of unique humor, had a sort of semi-serious vibe to it. Also, it had a major incorporation of science stuff
Strohmeyer, who gave the world the charmingly fun Smart Girls Get What They Want, goes back to the same well of nerdy girl-power for This Is My Brain on Boys, in which geek genius Addie Emerson turns love into a science experiment, with semi-predictable results.

Addie, who can be read as coded autistic if you want to, has her heart set on Harvard and a career in neuroscience, but her only hope of being able to afford it is to win the Athenian Award and its full-scholarship prize. To win she'll ne
Daphne M.
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was so sweet, and I honestly never saw the plot twist at the end coming! This book was funny and smart! I loved it!
Demi
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
cute
Janelle
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Reading this book is like looking at life and love through the lenses of Amy Farrah Fowler from the TV show, The Big Bang Theory. I enjoyed this book far more than I anticipated. Usually, I ruin a book by accurately predicting the story line, but was unable to do so with This Is My Brain On Boys. As an added bonus, I learned so many interesting scientific facts from the protagonist, Addie Emerson.
Kobi
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: july2017
I liked the premise of this novel. An insanely smart girl completing a complicated science project involving male and female responses to stimuli. I did have a difficult time reading at points as I felt the narrator wasn't consistent. Overall I liked the book and the romance in it too.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Dec 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc

I enjoyed the opening of This Is My Brain on Boys, but it took a severe plunge once I got about 70 pages in. Unfortunately, I was far enough in that I didn’t want to DNF. This Is My Brain on Boys is inconsistent and insult to “science. The premise sounded so promising (premising?), with a scientific genius heroine running an experiment on love and falling in love in the process. Unfortunately, it’s just not done well.

Let’s start with Addie. She’s clearly somewhere on the Autistic spectr
Andrea at Reading Lark
*3.5 Rating
Review Posted on Reading Lark 4/11/16: http://readinglark.blogspot.com/2016/...

Addie Emerson is a teen genius who is obsessed with the brain. She spends her days reading neuroscience journal articles and focusing on her experiment. Addie strongly believes that she can force people to fall in love by putting them into dangerous situations. Her first successful matchmaking scheme brought together her best friend, Tess, and Ed, a guy who had been pining for her, but had been largely igno
mykie♈
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: decent
3.2/5 stars!

With an average rating of 3.45, I was not expecting a lot from the book. I actually just picked it out of the whim because I was in the mood to read some sappy, teen-age love story. What I didn't expect though, was the fact that the book was entertaining, oddly enough. Some may say otherwise but it was a fun experience for me.

With its hilarious dialogues (that's mostly coming from Addie, our main character) and some gut-busting scenes from the experiment that were used to further di
Laura (midorireads)
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you enjoy the concise - but witty - way that Dr. Temperance Brennan on Bones speaks, then you'll likely enjoy Sarah Strohmeyer's version in Addie Emerson.

In This Is My Brain on Boys, our protagonist is the extremely intelligent (as well as blunt) Addie, and she believes she knows the formula to make people fall in love. After months of drafting her very precise method, she is ready to test it on humans, and has devised an experiment using several of her own classmates as the test subjects
Sara
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, 2016
3.5 stars. I feel like I need to note that I read this book in spite of its title, not because of it. I've read other books by this author and assumed this would be just as enjoyable. The plot: Addie is a student determined to win a science competition (and scholarship to Harvard) with her research on how extreme conditions cause people to fall in love. She's extremely detailed, living and breathing science and research methods, and has a hard time relating to others because of this. Over the su ...more
Julie Daniels
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, ya, contemporary
the fastest I've read a book in a while. I was unable to put it down and loved every page of it! So witty and heartwarming! A full review will be posted later today!

Full review:

This is just what I needed! I've been in the mood for a great contemporary for a while so I was very excited when I won an ARC of This is my Brain on Boys by Sarah Strohmeyer from a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway! It's the first book I've read by Sarah Strohmeyer and it definitely won't be my last! After reading this I'
Yasmin Halliwell Fraser Bower
I read this book in a day.. and I have weird feelings. This book was so not what I was expecting. I wanted a cute girly read and I got the Manipulation guide. I think it's not cool how it established at the end that revenge can get you good things. What kind of message is that? Manipulate, lie and pretend and everything will be okay? That’s why the ending was really flat for me.

This story basically follows Addie, a pretty logical and rational girl, which is doing an experiment to get into colleg
Jaime
Dec 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have only read one other book by Sarah Strohmeyer, Smart Girls Get What They Want, but it was enough for me to fall in love with her wit and humor. This is My Brain on Boys sounded like another wry and funny story, and that is just what I needed. While I might not have loved it quite as much as Smart Girls, I still loved that certain "Strohmeyer-ness" in this cute little read!

Since we are still a good ways from the release date, I don't want to go into too many details, just some of my impres
Paige Lent
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Name: Paige Lent Date: 9/3/16 Class: 802 Assignment: Book #3 L.A. Book Plug
Book title: ''This Is My Brain On Boys" author: Sarah Strohmeyer Book Rating: 9/10 Genre: RF Date Finished: 9/3/16

Addie Emerson believes that there is no such thing as love. With one more year left in high- school, Addie is far more interested in getting a full scholarship to Harvard than wasting her time getting a boyfriend. Addie is a genius, and she'd fully focused on school. That is, until Kris came along. He has fall
Diana
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it
This didn't blow me away, but it was definitely cute. I love the voice of Addie, the main character, who is attempting a science experiment that will prove that love can be generated between strangers through chemical means. She is very literal and focused planning to only date after finishing her doctoral thesis, but before that, she has to win the Athenian scholarship to pay for tuition to her dream school - Harvard. While reading, it becomes clear that Addie's experiment is very similar to he ...more
Courtney Long
May 19, 2016 marked it as unfinished
DNF @ around 30%

A bit of a bummer, as I enjoyed Strohmeyer's Bubbles Unbound series in high school and her more recent foray into YA, Smart Girls Get What They Want. I opened this one with high hopes, and while I wouldn't call it "bad" per se, it just didn't meet my tastes.

My biggest problem with this book is that the main character, Addie, talks like a robot. Seriously, think of Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory. I just don't buy that a teenager, even if she is super smart, would call friends "
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• It's Not Me, It's You
  • Little Black Dresses, Little White Lies
  • These Things I've Done
  • Let Me List the Ways
  • Ten (The Winnie Years, #1)
  • Maybe This Time
  • Never Always Sometimes
  • Wanderlost
  • #famous
  • Thirteen Plus One (The Winnie Years, #5)
  • Eleven (The Winnie Years, #2)
Sarah Strohmeyer is the award-winning, nationally bestselling author of 18 novels for young adults and adults, including the Bubbles Yablonsky mystery series, SMART GIRLS GET WHAT THEY WANT and THE CINDERELLA PACT, which became the Lifetime Movie, LYING TO BE PERFECT.
Her first mystery, BUBBLES UNBOUND, won the Agatha Award and Romantic TImes Award for Best First Mystery. THE SLEEPING BEAUTY PROPOS