Start by marking “The Perfect Man” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Man

The Perfect Man

Two very different sisters, Mia (still in love with Alejo, the married father of her daughter) and Britt (the ice maiden, who has ironically written a romantic bestseller), join a luxury honeymoon cruise in the Caribbean where Britt is the guest lecturer. Also on board are recently widowed Leo, still reeling from the discovery of his wife's betrayal just before her death, ...more
Published January 10th 2009 by Headline Review (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perfect Man

Start your review of The Perfect Man
Cecilia (rather barefoot than bookless)
This book was totally okey. I enjoyed it but it wasnt amazing. It is a very long story, too long for what actually went on in the book. I usually cant put books down when I start to read but this book was just too slow. It felt like it didnt really happened much so I felt myself have a bit problem to finish it. I just kept thinking about the next book I wanted to read and that is never a good sign. But it wasnt bad. I really enjoyed the way the two sisters worked on their relationship and got ...more
Leah
Aug 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Perfect Man tells the story of Britt and Mia McDonagh, two sisters who have totally opposite opinions when it comes to love. Britt, whose debut novel The Perfect Man was an instant success, doesn’t believe in romance since her marriage broke up but Mia, single mother to Allegra, believes in The One and is still in love with her ex, Alejo.

The two sisters go on a cruise, a ship named Aphrodite, to speak about Britt’s book and meet Leo, who is hiding a heart break and Steve, who works on the
Kay
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was initially sceptical of reading this book due to the title, but quickly discovered it is 'tongue in cheek' and became thoroughly engrossed in this engaging and humorous story.
Tazzie Dee
All aboard the Aphrodite and sail through the Caribbean with the best-selling author Britt McDonagh and her sister Mia. For Britt, it’s her worse nightmare. After the surprise success of her book, The Perfect Man, she is billed as an expert on love. But since her marriage broke down, she’s pretty certain that the perfect man doesn’t exists anymore. Her sister Mia, however, believes in love and soulmates and believed she already met hers. But these two sisters are to learn, that in order to love ...more
Sharon
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I started reading Sheila O’Flanagan’s books last year. I’ve read 17 of them now. The Perfect Man was the 14th book in a row I’ve read by her and the first where I’ve given less than 3 stars. Most of her books I’ve given 4 or 5 stars. I did not like any of the characters at all in The Perfect Man. I guessed who was going to end up with who from the start of the cruise in the story. I did enjoy the first half of the book learning about the characters’ back stories as that was secret and kept me ...more
Danielle Gwilliam
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I enjoy a mindless romance...its a good escape. but man, this one went on wayyyy too long.. half the time all i could think was "get to the f%$&*! point!!"
i enjoyed it, but kept reading cause I NEEDED to know what was going on.. but she did it in a long drawn out annoying way. Don't recommend it, but I've read worse
Annekatrin
Solid book with a nice storyline (I gotta admit that I love books about books/authors), but in the end I was glad that it was finally over, which is not the best sign. No regrets, and an easy read during vacation, but that's about it.
Umaymah
Apr 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
for me to linger so long over a book it must be quite bad. I love Sheila O'Flanagan but this book was her worst I've come across. in the end I had to throw in the towel. life is too short to read bad book
Tammy Stewart
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Solid 3.5 stars! Great story line and loved the fact it was on a ship however must admit found this book to drag and repeat a lot. I was so confused with who would end up with who that I didn't get to enjoy the tension leading up to the romance!
Angela Armstrong
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Awesome
Erin
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of Sheila's novels that I have read. It's been on my book shelf for a while (benched due to getting my kindle) but every time I looked at the shelf this one kept catching my eye. I read through this in about 3 days, even taking it to the office to read at lunch time, after finding that I couldn't put it down which is testament to how good it actually is.

The story follows Mia and Britt as they embark on a Valentine's cruise in the Caribbean on the Aphrodite ship. Both of the
Best Crime Books & More
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This story starts by introducing us to Britt and Mia who are sisters. Sisters who are polar opposites and have been thrown together onboard a cruise ship, for two whole weeks. Britt used to be a lawyer handling divorce cases, which as a bitter and complete unromantic, suited her down to the ground. When her marriage broke up Britt turned to writing and surprisingly managed to churn out Ireland's most romantic novel that was an instant hit. Being thrust into the limelight as the most unlikely ...more
Devina Dutta
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Perfect Man can be best described as a typical Sheila O Flanagan novel. The story surrounds three characters- Leo, Mia and Britt, each coming from a complicated past still tangled in their various individual mistakes.
Britt's sudden rise as a best selling novelist lands her a trip aboard a Valentine cruise with her sister Mia for company to discuss her novel, 'The Perfect Man'. Admist wannabe models, handsome officers, brooding co- passengers etc, the two sisters find a way to deal with their
Michelle Darry
I enjoyed this story and found myself really keen to see how it would turn out, it wasn't great though. I don't think this book should have been almost 600 pages as the plot progressed too slowly for me, with both sisters a bit stubborn and set in their ways. I did however, enjoy the descriptions of the destinations visited both on and off the cruise. The ending was quite nice too, although I would have liked to see how things turned out for Mia. A nice summer read!
Kirstie Fisher
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I stumbled across this book at my library and while I loved the write up, it took me awhile to get into it. I found Britt and her attitude to love rather frustrating and Mia seemed flightly. That being said, half way through the book i seriously got into it and couldn't put it down. By the end of it, i wasn't so frustrated with Britt and i fell in love with Mia. Definitely have to look out for more of her books.
Edel
Another great read from this Irish authur. You can't go wrong with any of Sheila O'Flanagan's books. This is the story of Britt and Mia and their complicated love lives and trying to find their path in life even if it is not what they had previously imagined for themselves.It is a long book but there is enough things happening to keep you turning the pages. The ending I enjoyed very much. There was a twist I did not see coming and that was a nice surprise.
Barbro Kinnunen
Summer/vacation book, bought abroad, hoping for some easy, quick, entertaining reading, but was disappointed. It was mostly boring, though caught up at the end, so I guess it was OK. It will not be a book I remember, and it probably will be sorted out from the book shelf to benefit a flee market somewhere. I would not recommend reading this book.
David Lindley
My wife's book (honestly). Light hearted holiday reading, likely to appeal more to females. Really all about boy meets girl, they have sex, it doesn't work out, therefore the bloke had imperfections! This might sound callous, but jus a description of most peoples tangled lives of relationships, work and love.
Elaine
Jan 13, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Im a big fan of Sheila's book, however this book was missing its usual sparkle, it was just an ok read, the story seemed to take forever and didnt really seem to get anywhere, the ending was a bit quick and I would have like to know what happened to the characters, it just left you hanging and you have to imagine what would happen!
Marjan
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read to start this year.
Lovely setting , a cruise ship , and because this is our favourite way to travel and the ship docked in some ports we have been to i really liked this book.
Story is simpel , with some nice twists and turns
Sofie
Oct 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So the characters were good and the story was alright. But this book was way too long. After 500 pages I really want to care for the characters, but I got really disapointed. Too bad. Read around 100 pages, and if you like it, continue. If you don't, there are alot of great books out there.
Allison Mclean
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Marcia
May 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit too long for what actually happened!
Nithya
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
one of my alltime favorites..very well written
Annie
Aug 25, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this book is long. Not much seemed to happen really. I did kind of enjoy it but I just felt that I rushing to get to the end and finish.
Raven
Sep 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Random beach read from this summer. Good and served it's purpose
Pete Harmes
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A soul-baring story. Beautifully written as always. Two very different sisters at similar points in their lives.
Tara
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chic-lit, 2014
A thoroughly enjoyable read and there was much more to the book than the title suggests. I loved the Carribean Cruise setting, sounds like a relaxing holiday ... some day ;-)
Gabrielle
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A romantic novel with twists and turns that keep you hooked and wanting to read more.

I like the different characters and realtionships in this book and the way they entiwne together.

Fiona
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
Despite my initial concerns this turned out to be a great book. Loved the story being told from both sisters point of view . Has restored my faith in this author .

• The Year that Changed Everything
  • The Family Gift
  • Divided Loyalties
  • The Honey Queen
  • Just Between Us
  • After the Wedding: What happens after you say 'I do'?
  • Lost Without You
  • His Secret Family: An absolutely emotional page turner
  • Once, Twice, Three Times an Aisling
  • The Secret Keeper
  • Inheritance
As you can see, a Dubliner all my life. My parents owned a grocery shop in the Iveagh Markets, in the Liberties area of the city and I guess city blood runs through my veins.

As a child I enjoyed reading and telling stories and everyone thought that I end up in a job which had something to do with books and literature. But though I applied for a job in the library all of the job offers I got were