Start by marking “The Untamed Earl (Playful Brides, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Untamed Earl (Playful Brides, #5)

The Untamed Earl

(Playful Brides #5)

AN INDECENT PROPOSAL
Lady Alexandra Hobbs, the daughter of the Duke of Huntley, has intended to marry Lord Owen Monroe since she first glimpsed him from the window of her bedchamber, back when she was just a girl. But the duke has already chosen Alex's infamously spoiled elder sister, Lavinia, for Owen. And now there's no turning back.

Owen has spent most of his bachelor ye
Mass Market Paperback, 291 pages
Published May 3rd 2016 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie
4.5 Delightful Stars!

What a delightful book! This is my first book by Valerie Bowman but it will definitely not be my last, The Untamed Earl is the fifth book in the Playful Brides series. I have so much catching up to do and I'm so excited to read about the other brides!

This is Alexandra and Owen's book, Alex recently had her coming out ball but although she's been introduced to the ton she can't marry until her older sister, Lavinia has been married off. But don't worry Alex already has her ey
Julie
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Untamed Earl by Valerie Bowman is a 2016 St. Martin’s Press publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This fifth installment in the ‘Playful Brides’ series got off to a stellar start and although I was reading several other books along with this one, I kept itching to get back into this story, until finally I succumbed and let it carry me away.

This story is all about Lady Alexandra Hobbs, who at age fifteen, feels as tho
Valerie Bowman
Dec 02, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
It's a Regency version of The Taming of the Shrew. Only the shrew is a rogue.
Sissy's Romance Book Review
I received an eARC, from NetGalley and the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.
This is book five in the "Playful Brides" series by Valerie Bowman. I have been jumping around in the series so I do feel this is a standalone book.
Lady Alexandra Hobbs fell in love with Lord Owen Monroe the first time she saw him out her window helping her brother and the stable boy with two younger men trying to fight them. Ever since she has been dreaming of marring him. But in the present day she learns t
XxTainaxX
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Alexandra falls into a girl's love with Owen as a teen. As an as an adult discovers her parents are planning to marry him off to her sister. She concocts a plan to get closer to him. As she gets to know him, her love blossoms into a woman's love. Owen also gets to know someone who has sparked a yearning in him. One that he fights at first, of course. It's great to see him grow and develop as the story progresses. Alexandra is a very likeable character. A wallflower who you cheer on for her guts ...more
Esther
Netgalley for honest review . 4.25

This was so much fun to read and what wonderful characters that came to life.

I loved the bad boy hero but really a good guy at heart. Lord Owen Monroe present himself as a carefree, loving and leaving them type that doesn't have a care in the world. Oh, but he does. You see his parents believe it's time for him to grow up and pick a wife and marry.

Lady Alexandra fell in love with Lord Owen at fifteen. Alexandra witness his "good" heart as he came to the rescue o
Tracy Emro
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
**I received an eARC copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review**

I really enjoyed this book - it is a very sweet story and even not having read all the other books in the series, I never felt lost or confused with references to the previous books.

Alex is a sweet, caring girl who has been "in love" with Owen since he came to the rescue of her brother three years ago. Alex is the younger daughter of a duke and her elder sister Lavinia is to put is nicely, a
Elaine
This is an engaging historical romance and part of a series but I can vouch that it works well as a standalone as I haven’t read any of the others - yet - and thoroughly enjoyed this!

As a teen, Lady Alexandra Hobbs had been told to stay in her room during a ball celebrating her older sister’s first season as a debutant. It was whilst listening to everything going on that she heard her brother and his friend being threatened by two guest. Undaunted she shouts at the two older men from her bedroom
Tanya Sridhar
2.5/5 stars

This was so ludicrous in so many ways, that I can't even properly list all the inane plot points. I found myself laughing at some foolish plot points, and genuinely smiling at some points. Hence I can't imagine giving it more than 2.5 stars.

I did like the banter between the MC's, it was very well done up until one point. If perhaps I can pin point to what makes it a largely forgettable book was the lack of actual romance and buildup. Too much of the plot was the scheming and plotting
(Nat) Reading Romances
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Sweet, captivating and charming!

This is the first book by Valerie Bowman that I've read. The Untamed Earl is the fifth book in the Playful brides series but it can be read as a standalone, if you don't mind a few spoilers from previous books.

There's a lot of characters in this book, mainly from previous books. I was more curious than confused, in the end I wanted to read their stories too. My favorite secondary character was Berkeley, and I was so happy to see his story is next! I wanna know wha
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

This is why you should never walk into a series half way through. Nothing good ever happens. As I was reading the story of the poor overlooked heroine and the charming rake, normally the type of story I love, and was the very reason I picked this book up, I found my mind drifting. Drifting to the other characters and couples in the series whose story I hadn’t read. I found I was more curious about what had happened with them, then I was with the romance I was currently knee deep in.

Which is wh
Kimberly
4.5 stars - Reviewed for Wit and Sin

Lady Alexandra Hobbs fell in love with Lord Owen Monroe when she was fifteen and saw him standing up for her brother and his friend against some bullies. It’s been three years since that day and though Owen has a reputation for being a wastrel, Alex is still dazzled by him. Unfortunately, Alex’s parents have just declared that Owen will be courting and (they hope) marrying Alex’s sister, Lavinia.

Owen has no desire to marry just yet, but he’ll be cut off if h
ladyofglencairn
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
1.5 rounding up to 2 because I'm feeling generous.

So, Lady Alexandra has a brief conversation with Lord Owen from the window of her bedroom when she's 15 years old and decides that one day she'll marry him. At the time Owen is 28. (Let it be known that I don't have an issue with the age gap since she's 18 when they eventually hook up.)

Fast forward 3 years.

Owen, a self-confessed rake (more about this later) is dragged to his father's office where he is given an ultimatum. Marry Lavinia Hobbs (Al
Brenda
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
SYNOPSIS:

AN INDECENT PROPOSAL

Lady Alexandra Hobbs, the daughter of the Duke of Huntley, has intended to marry Lord Owen Monroe since she first glimpsed him from the window of her bedchamber, back when she was just a girl. But the duke has already chosen Alex’s infamously spoiled elder sister, Lavinia, for Owen. And now there’s no turning back.

Owen has spent most of his bachelor years drinking, gambling, and skirt-chasing. He won’t see another pound from his parents, however, until he’s engaged t
Mariana
I have been saying that I do not like the hero in a large percentage of the recent historical romance books I've read. Lord Chase Monroe is another I definitely did not like! He was a real jerk, almost unforgivable and irredeemable. Of course, he partakes in the usual vices of drinking and gambling and loose women. It's not just that. He has no self-respect. Hence he has even less respect for the women in his life. On top of that, his quantity is a bit disgusting. He only sleeps at home maybe 1 ...more
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
I am no stranger to Valerie Bowman or her Playful Brides series. I have had the pleasure of reading a couple others in this series. I was anticipating this one. This series as an apt name. Playful was most certainly the experience that I have had with these delightful ladies from Regency England.

Lady Alex proposal was called indecent. I call it going for what she really wants. She gets her hearts desire if things go right. Seeing that she was to be cheated of the one true desire of her heart. L
Megan
May 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
I hated this book. I am in such a huge book slump. I have given out so many 1 star reviews lately. Alexandra was a child. Not literally but everything she did is something a 15 year old would do with her first crush. and Owen?? what the hell happened to him? Every time he has been in the other books I have been i love with him and now he is kind of a pansy.

What I absolutely hate is that the idea behind this book is awesome. Owen needs to marry and his father wants him to marry Lavina(SP?), who
Lori Meehan
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I truly enjoyed everything about this book. The main characters and secondary characters were so much fun and witty. Lady Alexandra "Alex" was a truly charming character and someone I'd love to be friends with. Lord Owen was dashing, debonair and a good hearted hero even if only his sister and friends knew. Lord Owen's father tells him he's to marry and he has his bride picked out for him. If not he's cut off! There's only one catch, he's to make her fall in love with him first. She wants a love ...more
Hillary Demint
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Every touch...every feeling...was beyond palpable...ABSOLUTE PERFECTION!!
I devoured every sexy and intriguing morsel of devine wording. Exquisite characterization that will lure you in from the first few pages. The only thing that I hated was....that it ended!!!"
Toula
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Full review to come in a day or 2 . Waiting for Thomas story
Under the Covers Book Blog

Which is wh
Victoria Cavill
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Same old vine in a new bottle. But the bottle was likable enough for me enjoy the book as part of my cheap thrills.
I still can't relate to an 18 yr old girl teaching a 31 year old man how to be a grown up.
And it felt a bit ludicrous that the said man was feeling purposeful after getting up early and vising someone useful for one day. I wonder what I'm doing wrong with my life.
Kristin Cast
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous!

Bowman introduced me to a genre I didn't know I love. Immediately after finishing this book I went out and bought the others in the series. Can't wait to dive back into this world!
Linda
"The Untamed Earl" the fifth book in Ms Bowmans Playful Brides series was absolutely wonderful even including Cameo appearances of previous couples ; never fear it can be read as stand alone. Ms Bowman are not only engaging but are so well written they come to life.
Lady Alexandria Huntley has known who she wanted to marry since she was fifteen Lord Owen Monroe, he may be considered by some a scoundrel , however she has seen the good in him, but know she has finally made her come out , she just
eyes.2c
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful fairy floss romp!

Lady Alexandra Hobbs (Alex) fell in love with Lord Monroe when she was fifteen, just after she'd written her list of the things she wished to accomplish in her life.

'1. Become brave and daring like Thomas.
2. Become beautiful, willowy and poised like Lavina. Never stain my gowns with food, et cetera.
3. Have a come-out during which an exceedingly eligible gentleman asks me to dance, thereby making the affair a smashing success.
4. Marry my true love. Must be handsome,
Celia Moontown
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was alright. It is what it is really. A tale of sweet and sensual confusion. But the connection between Alex and Owen developed a bit too easily. I always like more a glitch or some frictional tension. What’s not to love about Alex? She’s amicable, easy going, fun and just overall lovely. And Owen is typical- an older handsome rogue. He’s lived a life of debauchery and is turning over the leaf for the right wom-an. Alex has set her sights on him from day 1. She’s small and cute but devises ...more
Donna
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Valerie Bowman writes fun, enjoyable romances.

Lady Alexandra fell in love with Lord Owen when she was 15 and saw him do a good deed from her bedroom window. She is the middle child and her older sister gets all of the attention. Now Alex is old enough to have her debut and she's devastated when her father plans for Owen to marry her sister.

Owen has been told by his father to stop running around and get married. There is much more to Owen than his rakish reputation and Alex se
Mia
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m so happy I took a chance on this book and decided to buy it despite the less then desirable cover !
I truly believe this book could have been so immensely popular if only it were marketed differently.
The cover made me think that this book would be kinda sleazy but in all honesty this book could have very well been shelved in the YA section.
I enjoyed this read a lot ; the romance was angsty , charming and witty ! Alexandra our heroine was sweet and intelligent and Owen our love interest was
Kimberly Rocha~ Book Obsessed Chicks
Yet again, author Valerie Bowman wows me with her well- written story, her sense of humor and her ability to make this reader feel like a part of the story. Alexandra and Owen are such amazing characters with such depth. Watching Alexandra evolve from the girl who fell in love with Owen so early in life to the determined lady set on achieveing her dreams is wonderful.

Owen's struggles in dealing with the marriage being forced upon him are real. What is a rogue to do when he is given the daunting
Angela Mitchell
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
~~~~~~~Received book as an ARC from the Author for honest review!!!
Loved this book!! Can be read as a stand alone but I HIGHLY suggest you read the whole series! I loved them all!! Always love to watch the characters interact!!! Valerie Bowman is a great writer!!! I love how we also get to see past characters from the past books in the series interact in the lives of the current characters!!! Can't wait for more in this series!!! I see more possibilities for the future!!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Add cover 5 21 May 04, 2016 10:31AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Oct 09, 2015 06:53PM

• The Art of Sinning (Sinful Suitors, #1)
  • A License to Wed (Rebellious Brides, #2)
  • Christmas Brides
  • You Can't Always Get the Marquess You Want (Masters of Seduction, #2)
  • Baron (The Knickerbocker Club, #2)
  • The Earl's Return (Marriage Mart Mayhem #7)
  • Confessions of a Royal Bridegroom (The Renegade Royals, #2)
  • How to School Your Scoundrel (A Princess In Hiding, #3)
  • Once Upon a Christmas Kiss
  • The Duke of Daring (The Untouchables, #2)
  • Sapphires Are an Earl's Best Friend (Jewels of the Ton, #3)
  • Sebastian's Lady Spy (Secrets & Seduction, #5)
  • What a Highlander's Got to Do (Untamed Highlanders, #5)
  • Wicked in His Arms (Wedded by Scandal, #2)
  • The Art of Taming a Rake (Legendary Lovers, #4)
  • How to Manage a Marquess (Spinster House #2)
  • Luck Is No Lady (Fallen Ladies, #1)
  • Revealing Ruby (Bound and Determined #1.5)
Valerie Bowman is an award-winning author who writes Regency-set historical romance novels aka Racy Regency Romps!

Valerie’s debut novel was published in 2012. Since then, her books have received starred reviews from Publisher’s Weekly, Booklist, and Kirkus. She’s been an RT Reviewers’ Choice nominee for Best First Historical Romance and Best Historical Romance Love and Laughter. Two of her books h

Playful Brides (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Unexpected Duchess (Playful Brides, #1)
  • The Accidental Countess (Playful Brides, #2)
  • The Unlikely Lady (Playful Brides, #3)
  • The Irresistible Rogue (Playful Brides, #4)
  • The Legendary Lord (Playful Brides, #6)
  • Never Trust a Pirate (Playful Brides, #7)
  • The Right Kind of Rogue (Playful Brides, #8)
  • A Duke Like No Other (Playful Brides, #9)
  • Kiss Me at Christmas (Playful Brides, #10)
  • No Other Duke But You (Playful Brides, #11)
“This was the kind of kiss you remembered when you were a very old lady with a very poor memory.” 2 likes
“He opened his eyes again and stared into her soul. "Then I'll tell you the truth."
"Which is?" Her hand was shaking.
"I did it because I want you.”
1 likes