Start by marking “Shut Up, Legs!: My Wild Ride On and Off the Bike” as Want to Read:
Shut Up, Legs!: My Wild Ride On and Off the Bike

Shut Up, Legs!: My Wild Ride On and Off the Bike

Beloved German cyclist Jens Voigt isn’t a superstar in the traditional sense of the word. Although he won three stages of the Tour De France—and wore the yellow jersey twice—Voigt never claimed an overall victory. He became a star because he embodies qualities that go beyond winning and losing: sacrifice, selflessness, reliability, and devotion. European and American crowd ...more
Published May 3rd 2016 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about Shut Up, Legs!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shut Up, Legs!

Start your review of Shut Up, Legs!: My Wild Ride On and Off the Bike
Annie Oortman
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Like the man himself, this book was awesome.
Jay
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, cycling
I have enjoyed watching the European major cycling races over the past decade or so. Doping or not, what those cyclist do, day in and day out over weeks at a time, is amazing. I recall hearing Jens’ name mentioned quite often, so when his audiobook became available, I thought I’d give it a shot. It is exactly what you would expect from a guy with a long career in professional cycling, adamantly against doping. He starts with his life in East Germany and riding on the national team. Quite interes ...more
M.
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-reads
An interesting look into the world of professional cycling. I won it in a contest and it was a good read.
Justin Gamache
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you're a cyclist you'll really enjoy the storying telling. Jen's provides a great first hand account of what it's like to be a pro cyclist in the peloton.
Diana
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I couldn’t wait for Jens Voigt’s book to be released. When it was downloaded onto my Kindle, I was eager to begin reading. I was not disappointed. I enjoyed SHUT UP LEGS! MY WILD RIDE ON AND OFF THE BIKE by Jens Voigt with James Startt very much and read it nonstop over the past few days.
I could hear Jens Voigt’s voice in my head as I was reading and I smiled often at his language and expressions. He writes and commentates exactly as he talks - it is very refreshing. There is nothing coy or stil
John Sutton
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Jens Voigt was a cult hero in the peloton with his do or die attitude to breakaways garnering hime legions of fans, myself included, despite him never achieving serious greatness through winning a major classic or tour. This book is a very easy read, Jens comes across as a fairly uncomplicated individual who wears his heart on his sleeve. Don't expect deep insight into the sport, but plenty of anecdotes and opinion. The major downside for me is the discussion on doping. While his anti doping vie ...more
Ron S
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it
The Yogi Berra of the peloton entertains in this memoir of growing up in East Germany behind The Wall, then freedom as a professional cyclist known for an irrepressible joie de vivre both on and off the bike. A breath of much needed fresh air in a sport overwhelmed by a focus on performance enhancing drugs for the last 20 years. Whether you think Jensie, or "everyone" doped or not, this is a fun read for those that follow professional cycling or enjoy reading sports memoirs.
Timojhen
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cycling
Good read. Nothing terribly challenging but does a reasonable job of detailing a long professional career. He's funny at times but sticks to a clean and straightforward tone. Does have me wanting to re-watch some of those great Tour of Colorado stages!!
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jens Voigt is an amazing athlete, not only for his incredible racing but for how he lives his life- with integrity, willing to give everything for his team and his family. I loved reading about his stories about cycling, his life and her perspective on cycling. He's also very funny-I laughed out loud though many parts. I went to a Trek event where Jens was speaking about a year before I read this book, and it's amazing how you can hear his voice in this writing. Just brilliant, both the book and ...more
J.S.
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Received book as GiveAway. Gave book to my husband who is a hardcore cycling fan. He has his own cycling jersey and would watch the Tour religiously.
Autobiography, born in East Germany, a successful cyclist, although never won Tour de France overall, won stages. He'd be a leader in smaller racers, but did not win the overall race. Very interesting book, got to read about his personal interests such as he liked to read adventure books like Last of the Mohicans and works of Jack London. Foreword o
Dale
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed this book because I love cycling and have been a fan of Jens through his Tour of France acclaim (the TOF/media complex). It was neat to learn about his introduction to cycling at the various levels, and learn something about growing up in east Germany before the wall fall. It was fun to learn about his take on many of the cycling personalities and scandal from that period. I also never really comprehended how astonishingly fast that guys can ride!

I give it a two because it is n
Wanda
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
Very enjoyable story of how Jens became a professional cyclist and what it was like being one. He was pretty candid about the doping and cheating that was going on around him during his years competing. He can be very serious but also quite humorous. He has accomplished a lot and it was good to hear how he helped others when they were breaking in and how he really appreciated those who helped him.
Won this book thru the Goodreads Giveaways.
Catherine
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book free through Goodreads First Reads.

A very interesting read, I never knew that so much went into professional cycling. This book covers Jens early years growing up in East Germany through his cycling years and into retirement. I really liked how throughout the book he spoke honestly about the doping scandals that went through the cycling community.
Tom Crehore
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
The beginning of this book has lots of exclamation points! But after about 80 pages, the writing begins to settle in. The first stories and perspectives given about growing up in East Germany were really interesting, and give insight into life before the Berlin Wall came down. Overall, if you like bikes and racing, you will enjoy reading this book.
Gumble's Yard
Jan 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Straightforward account by a self-admitted straightforward rider.

Voigt happily says he has seen little or no evidence of drug taking during his many years in the peleton, the naivety of which is only matched by his account of the Schleck brothers apparently delightedly supporting Sastre to win the Tour on Alpe d’Huez.
Chance Barber
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. I'm a big Jensie & cycling fan. Really enjoyed learning more about him & his entire career. Easy read. ...more
Mitchell Y. Rabin
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pure Jensie!

A true cycling legend of his time. Great read for pro cycling fans. Jens tells his story as a professional who defines grit, determination and longevity.
Chris
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Alot of exclamation points!!!!
James
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I approached this with a degree of reservation as I can't say I really bought into the Voigt cult, albeit mainly due to the people who did, rather than because of any animosity towards him. But he and his collaborator (ie writer) well and truly won me over.

As he acknowledges, Voigt was not a star, but was nevertheless a well known figure in road cycling, who seems to have recently garnered a lot of fans due to his personality. As a result there are not a host of major victories to discuss, in wh
Denise Galluccio
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Paul Gater
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read though probably only for those with an interest in Jens Voigt as a competitive cyclist. It’s written as if the ghost writer just transcribed everything Jens said in a few sit-down meeting so not much literary style. But the stories are told in an engaging and uncomplicated way.

His background in East Germany passes by quite quickly and then we’re into his efforts to turn pro followed by his long and impressive career. I would have liked to see a bit more of a critical eye on some o
Ann
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am very much a recreational cyclist (my husband is more hard-core), but I have become a real fan of professional cycling. Jens Voigt's commentary always makes me laugh - and his autobiography did, as well. It's not expertly written, but it is in "Jensie's" voice, and that counts for a lot. Never knew he grew up in East Berlin, under communism. Never knew he had difficulty obtaining his first professional contract. Never knew how absolutely unshakeable his integrity and commitment to doing what ...more
James
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a fantastic book. It was great that they allowed for Jens' voice to come through. It was as if he was reading it to you. As an avid cyclist, I recall many of his exploits and enjoyed reading about them again from his voice. The great person that he is comes through and inspires you to be like him. Though I have the opportunity to watch the Tour de France commercial free, I watch the channel with him because of him (maybe also because of Bob Roll). What a wonderful person and I look forward ...more
Helen
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always enjoyed watching Jend

Jens could always be relied on to shake up a bike race. I was devastated when his speaking tour didn't come to Perth, Australia and I had to get a refund. I do wanted to shake his hand and thank him for all that effort.
Reading Jens's story was very uplifting and has redefined what I should be doing with my life now. His comments on his feelings once he finished riding professionally certainly ring true.
Chad Bonersmith
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed quick easy book about a real likeable character in professional cycling. He had such a long career through a real tumultuous time for cycling. It gives you some insight into the world of cycling but only scratches the surface. He has done so much and fun to read about it, but I wanted to know more. However only so much you can put in 227 pages. Jens seems like a great guy and you will enjoy this book.
Marianne Meyers
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you love professional cycling, Jens Voigt is a legend. It was always fun to watch him race, he worked his butt off and was a true teamplayer, his way of expressing himself is always direct and entertaining. He is hilarious and honest. He was a shrewd racer so it is wonderful that he now is a commentator, he always calls it and has great perspective. It was interesting to read about his growing up in East Germany and then on his various teams during his professional years.
Phuong
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, audio
Well, this is a first. Because of Todd's cycling passion, I watch cycling races, and now I'm reading cycling books. What??!! I probably wouldn't have taken the time to read it myself, but since it was available on audio, I went for it. I like Jensie, and it was interesting to hear what it's like to be a pro cyclist.
Tracy
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I will forever be a fan of Jensie. A great inspiration to many and the story he has shared is wonderful. It is as though he is sitting in your living room, or dining room table, front porch or at a small café with you telling his story. Thanks Jens for letting us all into your "world" of cycling.
Gavin
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jens Voigt was a great character in the Tour and professional cycling. Somehow he got a "mot juste" blessing at birth and built up charisma.

If you're not a cyclist, you'll enjoy this. If you are a cyclist you'll enjoy this.. .if you're a cyclist who watched the tour and used to see his insane breakaways and attacks and listen to his post-race comments... then you'll love this.

Chapeau!!
hevs
May 01, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: niedokończone
God knows I tried but on 8 pages there was more exclamation points than in entirety of any decent book and all in all it's like written for small childen and by someone who has very low opinion on said children's intelligence.
I love Jens, and without him cycling lost a lot of it's charm for me but this is unreadable. DNF and saddened.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Draft Animals: Living the Pro Cycling Dream (Once in a While)
  • My World
  • The Climb: The Autobiography
  • The Tour According to G: My Journey to the Yellow Jersey
  • The World of Cycling According to G
  • Domestique: The Real-life Ups and Downs of a Tour Pro
  • The Secret Race: Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs
  • The Racer: Life on the Road as a Pro Cyclist
  • Racing Through the Dark
  • Pro Cycling on $10 a Day: From Fat Kid to Euro Pro
  • Slaying the Badger: LeMond, Hinault and the Greatest Ever Tour de France
  • Rough Ride: Behind the Wheel with a Pro Cyclist
  • Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong
  • Triumphs and Turbulence: My Autobiography
  • Wheelmen: Lance Armstrong, the Tour de France, and the Greatest Sports Conspiracy Ever
  • Cav: At Speed
  • My Time
  • The Rider

News & Interviews

Summer reading season is in full swing, which means many of the year's biggest and best releases are coming out of the gates. And although your Ju...