Start by marking “The Code of the Extraordinary Mind: 10 Unconventional Laws to Redefine Your Life and Succeed On Your Own Terms” as Want to Read:

What if you questioned everything you know and threw out all the pieces that hold you back? With The Code of the Extraordinary Mind, you can.

Learn to think like the greatest creative minds of our era—to question, challenge, and create new rules for your ideas of love, education, spirituality, work, happiness, and meaning. The Code of the Extraordinary Mind is a blueprint f
Published May 10th 2016 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about The Code of the Extraordinary Mind, please sign up.
Jeff I believe so. This book was complete crap. A waste of time and a muddled mess of the simple idea that we should try to be better people than previous…moreI believe so. This book was complete crap. A waste of time and a muddled mess of the simple idea that we should try to be better people than previous generations. The author spends almost 20% of the book talking about why he wanted to write a book and why even though he got fired it was a good "choice" for him to make. I was constantly waiting for it to get better. It never did. (less)

Chad
Jul 25, 2016 rated it liked it
This guy should read Ego is the Enemy. Got a little tired of him using himself for almost all the examples in the book .
Joe
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I did find the book went on a bit, the author was constantly referring people to his website.

I felt the key takeaways are:
1) don't live by society's rules, decide what is appropriate for you, university, a particular career path may not be right for you
2) overcome limiting beliefs, believe in yourself
3) trust your intuition - be guided in which customers to call
4) visualise success
5) exercise
6) meditate
7) have a quest/mission in life

I wouldn't recommend the book to anyone who has a fair amount o
Greg Swierad
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Actions from this book probably changed my life more than from any other

This book contains a new philosophy of living and entrepreneurship. It’s controversial in many places, but if you are open-minded, this is the perfect book to read.
It’s a must-read if
* you look for happiness.
* you often experience stress or anxiety.
* you feel that some areas of your life are not well-balanced.
* your emotions change frequently because of external factors.

I have known about Mindvalley and Vishen for several ye
Jacquie Underdown
Oct 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Perhaps I've reached the end of the road with self-help books because this felt recycled. The author didn't provide anything new, and his parables were not especially interesting. Much of the time, I felt like the author was marketing his own business or justifying his own actions. I did on a few occasions get that sickly feeling in my gut, especially hearing regurgitated principles under the guise of an updated label, that this book was just another money-grab in the booming self-help industry. ...more
Jason Rosenstock
Aug 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
Oh boy, this was terrible. He said right from the outset that readers would either love it or hate it, and I definitely hated it. Not because it shook my worldview, but because the author is such a self-promoter and braggart who is basically (and admittedly) repackaging well-explored self-help ideas that are fairly old hat by this point.
Lorrie
I recieved this book as a free Goodreads giveaway.

I'd like to start off by saying I WANTED to like this book. I really truly wanted to be able to read it and take even a tiny piece of advice from it and help improve my life. But, alas, by the 3/4 mark in the book i found myself skimming more than reading just to say I actually read it all the way through.

I'll also admit to skimming the reviews before writing my own just to make sure I wasn't completely out in left field with my overall impressio
Marie-Louise Oosthuysen
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you want to live an authentic life, read this book, apply the exercises, and learn a few new words along the way! As a way to find your own authenticity, Vishen suggests to start questioning the rules imposed by the culturescape, who include our parents, teachers, clergymen, and those in authority. In order to transcend your culturescape, throw out the Brules with the bathwater …. oh, and Brules = Bullshit Rules. Question the rules imposed by the culturescape, then differentiate the rules fro ...more
Michael Magee
May 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
This dude says to ignore brules, "bullshit rules". I say ignore bullshit advice, which is what 80% of this book is.
Lindsay
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-improvement
I expected way more from Vishen...it's um, probably one of the worst self development books I've ever read. Vishen's biography (oh the luxury, the travels!) + self development nuggets (which you can find in ANY other book) + self advertising (every.single.chapter has a link) = this book. Especially the self advertising was the thing which I grew tired off.

Yes he's successful. And yes he has an interesting life so far....so interesting he used mostly himself as an example in the book. Sometimes
Kent Winward
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really disliked the lapses into infomercial and name dropping, but the content was sufficient to overcome those shortcomings. First the new words: "blissipline" (the discipline of living a life of bliss -- Joseph Campbell would be proud.), "brules" (bullshit rules we tell ourselves), and "unfuckwithable" (an inner resilience and strength.)

New vocabulary aside, the book hit on some of my bigger beefs with meditation and mindfulness. I'm too pragmatic for the 'woo woo' meditation crowd. I'm also
Jacques Bezuidenhout
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
It is a little annoying when a book starts off by saying "This isn't going to be one of those type of books" and then ends up being exactly that type of book.
And there is one massive intro to try get this point across.

Secondly a lot of the book is focused around name dropping and using himself in most of the examples of success.
It might have been better in a biography format with the amount it centred around Vishen.

Lastly the book felt like a marketing tool for his website/courses. I get that th
Pres
Feb 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
I noticed this book based on the high rating on Goodreads. And this time I could not disagree with Goodreads more.

It's a cocktail of everything. And the author had successfully mixed his academic background in computer engineering and family background as an Malaysian Indian into whatever he is preaching. And the title happened to be "the code..."

I saw shadows of Adler, CBT. And there are, again, brief introductions on self compassion, forgiveness and the art of giving.

I thought that I would be
Ollie Ollie
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've ever read.

If you think you already know so much about this topic, you'll find the book will teach you a lot more. It gives you a no non-sense detailed descriptions of how Vishen work his way to success, and of course, all his experience meeting highly successful people and what he learned from them. The book consist of lots of meat and muscle from page one, every word is useful, not a single page is wasted.

Jasmeet Salech
I am halfway through the book and I have found only a couple of helpful things which are actually reminders and not mind-blowing.
A couple of observations:
1. The way the author refers to all the celebrities as 'friends' seems fake.
2. Every now and then you are 'encouraged' to go his website.
3. The author lost me in the very beginning when he gave an example of 'being selfish is good sometimes' with the heart analogy. That example made this book look like a storybook.
Troy Allen
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really couldn't put this book down. My roommate got early access to it and when they finished told me to read it. I'm usually not a personal development guy but this book was good. It was very straight forward and gave me tangible things I could do each day to improve. Most books I find usually just say some high level rhetoric and leave me feeling the same once I close them. I highly recommend this book!
Dan Pfeiffer
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not really a self-help book, or maybe a self-help book for people who don't like self-help books? I found it to be more of a helpful manifesto for discarding the BS and cracking on with a life valuable to oneself and others.
Lisa  Keegan
May 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Certain chapters really spoke to me, others not so much. Good food for thought. 3.5 stars
Nidhi Kamra
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
How do you review a book that has potentially saved you from a lifelong struggle to find answers to personal questions or solutions to problems “conventional” human beings don’t have answers to?

It’s hard. It’s baffling. It’s overwhelming. It’s humbling.

Yes, it’s not easy reviewing a book that offers hope for humanity … a chance to cut yourself loose from whatever metaphorical shackles that imprison you, and transcend to levels beyond those dreams you never thought you had a right to dream.

IT DO
Erin Cataldi
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm generally pretty leery of self-help books, but this was far and away, perhaps one of the best I've ever read. It offers practical, life changing advice that you can slowly introduce into your routine to help you succeed. I finished this in practically one sitting and I can' wait to begin applying the different life hacks into my life to see where it takes me. Just reading this book put me in a better state of being, I can hardly imagine what actually applying this book will do for me. I'm mo ...more
April Wilson
I was hoping for a mind blowing experience while reading this book; one that would change my life and outlook but alas, it is just another egotistical writer who just wanted to spend hours of his readers' lives reading about how he is above and beyond the norm ("extraordinary").

I was not into it at all. It felt more like a braggadocious book than anything else.
Toma
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you've followed Vishen, he has already talked about most of the things in this book. Nonetheless, great to better understand why we're doing what we're doing.
Ted
Oct 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't bother. The book is not well written. It takes to long to get to any point. I ditched it in the first chapter.
Mohammed Irfan
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
another audibook that I've finished in the gym! xD
Beautiful book. People like Vishen Lakhiani and his company Mindvalley are the reason that I like self development. it had points that I did not agree with, but generally the book is nice and useful.
this would be my last self help Book for a while :)
Mehrdad Mb
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
یک کتاب Self-growth عالی...
اگه واقعا ایده های کتاب رو در زندگی بشه پیاده کرد خیلی کتاب مفیدیه.
هر چند ابتدای کتاب یکم خسته کننده است.
ولی حوصله باید داشت.
کتاب به فارسی ترجمه نشده ولی انگلیسی روان و ساده ای داره.
به همه توصیه میشود.
Lindsey
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Extremely insightful! Vishen is incredible, and I am so glad he shared his own struggles with readers, bc often when we read about manifestation, the author simply shares the highlights, not the pitfalls and failures that lead to reeducation. Codex called to me late at night when Vishen offered a huge preorder discount and I'm so grateful for the nudge from the Universe. I really needed these lessons right now! I have been on the right track...85%, and this book gives me motivation and confidenc ...more
William Thomas
Jul 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
A third of the way through this book it lost credibility. I lost trust in the authors stories an name dropping.
Denis Vasilev
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Обычный нью эйдж, не ужасный, но и не лучший. Медитации, осознанность, предназначение...
Katie Tran
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
RECOMMEND. RECOMMEND. RECOMMEND.

This book has changed my ways of thinking for the better and I'm so happy I came across this book.
I was able to relate to this book SO MUCH and agree with EVERY single thing Vishen Lakhiani has portrayed.

Most people in society have been 'cultured' on a specific way of living, thinking and believing of a specific pathway to life, careers, marriage, etc etc and that's it all there is. However, I believe Lakhiani's novel has broke all the rules and readdresses all
Diana
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
CodeXMind Review

The code of the Extraordinary Mind is a great book. Vishen has a wonderful style of writing and this book is very well written. His anecdotes are poignant and amusing, allowing you to learn while enjoying the story.
The lessons are indispensable to the future of humanity. Understanding how to change cultural ideas that are no longer aiding us in our desired path is as important as he maps app on your iPhone; when lost, you can find your way back to the highway.
This book is great
William Yeoh
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have been following Vishen Lakhiani and all his training for years, and this book by far is the best way to get all his training, ideas and philosophy in one place. No other book has this impact for me for such a long time, and this book get me excited about what possible for me in the future.

After reading this book:
You will get excited about your life
You will start to move into the direction that you want
You will start to realize you have the power all along to change your life
You will star
  • Who Are You Meant to Be?: A Groundbreaking Step-By-Step Process for Discovering and Fulfilling Your True Potential
  • Staying on the Path
  • BrainChains: Discover your brain, to unleash its full potential in a hyperconnected, multitasking world
  • The Age of Speed: Learning to Thrive in a More-Faster-Now World
  • Pressed for Time: The Acceleration of Life in Digital Capitalism
  • Radical Forgiveness: Making Room for the Miracle
  • Mozart's Brain and the Fighter Pilot: Unleashing Your Brain's Potential
  • Sustainable Edge
  • Remember Everything You Want and Manage the Rest: Improve your Memory and Learning, Organize Your Brain, and Effectively Manage Your Knowledge
  • Decide: Work Smarter, Reduce Your Stress and Lead by Example
  • Shift Happens: How to Live an Inspired Life...Starting Right Now!
  • The Cultural Creatives: How 50 Million People Are Changing the World
  • Composing a Further Life: The Age of Active Wisdom
  • Game-Changer: Game Theory and the Art of Transforming Strategic Situations
“The people making you feel guilty for going your own way and choosing your own life are simply saying, ‘Look at me. I’m better than you because my chains are bigger.’ It takes courage to break those chains and define your own life.” So dare to live your precious days on Earth to their fullest, true to yourself, with open heart and thoughtful mind, and with the courage to change what doesn’t work and accept the consequences. You may find that you can fly farther than you ever imagined.” 4 likes
“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma—which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary. IT” 3 likes