Start by marking “The Golden Rules: 10 Steps to World-Class Excellence in Your Life and Work” as Want to Read:
The Golden Rules: 10 Steps to World-Class Excellence in Your Life and Work

The Golden Rules: 10 Steps to World-Class Excellence in Your Life and Work

Bob Bowman, best known as the coach for the record-breaking run of Michael Phelps, is one of the most successful coaches in sports history. He is lauded for his intense personality, incredible dedication to his athletes, and his ability to nurture talent in athletes who have the heart and drive to win. This is his motivational book about winning in all walks of life and wh ...more
Published May 17th 2016 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Rules

Start your review of The Golden Rules: 10 Steps to World-Class Excellence in Your Life and Work
Shhhhh Ahhhhh
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a good book but what stops it from being great, in my opinion, is that what I feel keeps getting hammered into my head from it is Michael Phelps, swimming, and Olympics, not the principles themselves. I understand that this is a book written by a trainer of world-class swimmers, that he speaks honestly, that he speaks from his perspective, and that he uses the material of his life for this work. Perhaps it just wasn't the right deployment of these ideas for me.

The method that is the cor
Vadim
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Понравившиеся идеи из книги:

- Совершенство – это плод ежедневных усилий. Каждый день живите своей мечтой.

- Планируйте будущее, основываясь на фактах (и интуиции). Вам нужно представлять себе, куда вы хотите попасть, что вы хотите совершить, кем вы хотите стать в будущем.

- Сверхзадача дает смысл ежедневным усилиям, причину вставать каждое утро с постели и что-то делать. Она должна вдохновлять, восхищать, возбуждать эмоции, брать вас за душу и захватывать воображение.

- К сверхзадаче надо продвига
Karen
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the book for all frustrated procrastinators with big ideas. Read it. Read it at least once a year!

I read the audiobook. It's a little quiet in parts so was difficult sometimes to hear on the subway. The speaker has a nice clear voice though and I could listen to it comfortably at x2 speed.

Favourite quotes:

"Get gold out of every day."

"How you do things is as important as what happens when they're done."

"The more you can sprinkle motivational practices into the regular vision quest, the e
Nancy
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway.
Good and helpful things here. Obviously not everything works for everyone but you can gather ideas on what works for you and follow the good advice given here as close as possible.
Katy
Oct 08, 2017 marked it as physical_to-read_stack  ·  review of another edition
I received my copy free through Goodreads Giveaways.
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
*I won this book as a Goodreads Giveaway*

While the book will be good for people who want to see more of the background of Michael Phelps, the "rules" Bowman has come up with (and based the book around) are very generic "give everyday your all" type statements, and don't really offer anything new or original.

It would have been much more interesting if it had been written just as an autobiography, rather than trying to be a self-help book.
Marija S.
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it
The selling point of this book is name dropping; i.e. anecdotes with Michael Phelps (85-90%) and other world class swimmers. In any case, it was more fun and vivid to read than M. Phelps' biography book.

Otherwise it is just like hundreds of other self-help books out there on the market. I didn't find it particularly inspiring or groundbreaking.
Eric Mayle
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
The author comes across as a real jackass, but the guidance and principles seem very solid, and hearing them through the lens of his work with Michael Phelps was entertaining. Could have benefitted from both a better editor and a better proofreader, but all-in-all a good pick if you like performance psychology stuff.
Jenny
I just couldn't get past the Michael Phelps, Michael Phelps, Michael Phelps content. I think the book would serve a much broader audience if it eased off that element and frankly, the helpful steps are also pretty trite. Just wasn't for me.
Morgan
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read. I was kind of stuck between 4 and 5 stars. I don't have a reason to dock any stars, but it's not in my BEST BOOKS EVER list either. So 5 stars it is! Got plenty of highlights out of it, too.
Yash Kumar
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: h
i wana read
Virginia Milletti
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is what I needed right now: that kind of push and guidelines that I was looking for to keep going.
John
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Respect to Bowman, Phelps, and the other swimmers and coaches involved in this piece. Go Devils! (ASU)
Arpita
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
It is love letter to Michael Phelps
Samuel  Melo
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Solid book on how to do great things. The method of the greats is summarized as effort. Constant effort and this book is yet again, a proof of that.
Scott Noftall
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent and honest book from a world class coach with a track record (not horses) that may never be matched again in sport!
Steve
Sep 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Bob Bowman lays out his philosophy for achieving success that he has used in his life as a highly successful Olympic swim coach. Bowman, whose most famous swimmer is Michael Phelps, has a track record of success with his programs and this book is filled with stories to support the points he is trying to make about achieving success. The ten steps are broken down into several sub steps tied back into the main theme. An enjoyable read filled with real life examples (if highly competitive swimming ...more
Jams
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
DNF

I am going to have to give up on this one.

I have no issue with the writing style or the anecdotes. This is a well written book. My problem with the book is all circumstantial.

Let's talk about the Golden Rules. There are 10 of them, which makes things seem really simple. An Olympic coaching is saying I can change my life in 10 easy steps? Sign me up. The problem here is that every step has as many as 10 sub steps. So what Bowman is really offering here is 100 steps to success.

I would suggest
Olivia
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING book! I strongly think everyone should read this - from teenagers to adults, anyone who wants to succeed in life or what they do.
Bob Bowman offers 10 stepts that can make a difference in achieving your goal. They do require some work, physical and psychological, but could be essential in your journey towards your purpose.
The stories that accompany each of these steps are interesting, fun and inspiring. Often Bowman, best known as the coach of Michael Phelps, the most decorated Olympian o
Melinda M
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads-done
The Golden Rules: The 11-step Plan for Achieving Everyday Excellence by Bob Bowman is a look into his plan for excellence. It is filled with stories and examples which include Michael Phelps stories. It is a simple plan that makes sense. It also shows a different side of competitive swimming. I found this to be an interesting read and it kept my interest,
I read the advanced copy that I received thru Goodreads Giveaway.
Mary Sanchez
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, non-fiction
Bob Bowman, best known as the swim coach for Michael Phelps, explains his ten steps to world-class excellence through stories. These lessons can apply to anyone's life, but I enjoyed reading how they applied to Michael Phelp's success as a swimmer.

I have some new names on the USA swim team to root for at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio.
Natali
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
Even if you are not a swimmer Coach Bowman shares practical steps that anyone can put in place to be successful in life. He would know what it takes since is the coach of the most successful olympian of all time.
Stephen
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well written book. The author has a to the point approach, while sharing real life examples. I love the Olympics, so Bob's examples of Michael Phelps, Allison Schmidt and others kept me extremely interested. The Program as Bob calls it is 10 easy steps that anyone can implement in their lives.
KarnagesMistress
Apr 14, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: giveaways
I received this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways. It is an uncorrected proof (galley).
Sitara Warren
Jul 21, 2016 rated it liked it
My to incorporate every day excellence into your life.
Interesting read - a little bit long winded in places, but the evidence of what Phelps has achieved speaks for itself.
Jack
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Crappily written, and could have been summarized to a page or 10, but does contain experience of success worth learning.
Molly Panzer
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was interesting esp since the Olympics are only days away.
Saif
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wonderful experience i listened it on audio . Nothing new but u get to feel most decorated olympian
James Lawrence
May 17, 2020
Paige Mckenzie
Mar 02, 2017

• No Limits: The Will to Succeed
  • When Breath Becomes Air / Being Mortal / Where Does It Hurt?
  • Success: Discovering the Path to Riches
  • الرجل النبيل
  • التداوي بالفلسفة
  • الإسلام: ما هو؟
  • The Power Of Less: The Fine Art of Limiting Yourself to the Essential
  • The Making of Pride and Prejudice
  • One More Sunday
  • The Half-Life of Marie Curie
  • Launch: An Internet Millionaire's Secret Formula to Sell Almost Anything Online, Build a Business You Love, and Live the Life of Your Dreams
  • toughLove: Expert Advice on Raising Confident, Kind, Resilient, Successful Kids
  • Fail Until You Don't
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • The Deceivers
  • The Passion Paradox: A Guide to Going All In, Finding Success, and Discovering the Benefits of an Unbalanced Life
  • The Good Old Stuff