Start by marking “Back to the Kitchen: 75 Delicious, Real Recipes (& True Stories) from a Food-Obsessed Actor” as Want to Read:

Most people know Freddie Prinze Jr. from movies (She's All That, Scooby Doo, Star Wars Rebels) and as one half of beloved Hollywood power couple with Sarah Michelle Gellar. But to family, friends, and co-stars he's always been a terrific father and skilled home cook who prepares delicious meals for his family every night.

Freddie grew up in New Mexico cooking with his mothe
Published June 7th 2016 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about Back to the Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back to the Kitchen

Allison
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a gem. FPJ comes off as down to earth and relatable. I loved his dad humor and how much he seems to adore his family.

The recipes are easy enough for a beginner, but sophisticated enough that foodies will still enjoy them. My favorite part of the cookbook is how flexible the recipes seem to be. Prinze suggests different options, but let's you know what you can change up to suit your preferences.

I know everyone is obsessed with Chrissy Teigen's Cravings, but if you only purchase one
Bunny
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-18, cookbooks
Let's be real, there was no chance I wasn't going to read the cookbook written by Mr. Sarah Michelle Gellar.

I enjoyed Sarah's book immensely, and this one is just as good. I would genuinely like to own both, because each gives me something different. Sarah's book is all about fun, for amateurs and professionals alike. It's food for the family, for the holidays, for the pure joy of it.

It is quite obvious that Freddie is the cook in this family. And it's also clear how much he likes to cook. This
Jenn
Yeah, not going to lie, I totally bought this because Freddie Prinze Jr wrote it. And I absolutely adore him and his family. I honestly didn't know that he cooked so the little anecdotes before the recipes were informative and fun - giving little glimpses into the non-actor. I bookmarked at least half of the book with all the recipes I want to try. Most seems fairly simple, especially if you're short on time. Summer is going to be good eating!
Amy Rae
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Everything in this book sounds amazing, and if I wasn't concerned about the possibility that it might be too spicy for my family, I'd be lining up recipes to make.

FPJ's stories of home life are adorable, too. He comes off as such a dad--not only does he sound like he loves the shit out of his kids, he definitely says things, like "trust your homie," that sound like they really belong in 1995 or so. Very daddish. Bless his heart, I love his voice acting (and She's All That, let's be real here), a
Jewel Star
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peppers

I just moved to New Mexico and was delighted to find this cookbook, though I am a vegetarian, LOL, there were still plenty of tips and recipes that will work in my kitchen! I'm still learning about the different chilies available. Also, having been a native of California, I love that we are so diverse in the foods we eat. I was looking for a good Pizza dough recipe and there is one in this book. I loved all the pictures of the family that made this book a personal experience.
Elizabeth
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Okay, so I'm totally biased in favor of FPJ because of my love for his wife SMG. HOWEVER, this cookbook is so great! The recipes I've tried have been very simple while at the same time requiring a new culinary act that has resulted in delicious food! I am a kitchen dabbler but I really love to cook when I can & this is the first cookbook I've wanted to pay full price for! And of course I love the personal stories which make me root for he & his family even more. Yes, I can be a total fan ...more
Shannon
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-book
I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up this book, my awareness of the author, actor Freddie Prinze Jr was from cheesy 90's teen movies and his marriage to a vampire slayer. Regardless, this book is terrific. While many of the recipes are for meat-eaters and thus off my cooking list I enjoyed reading the food stories that accompany every recipe. My favorite was his story of a particular sauce recipe that makes his little boy growl when consuming. This is a man who adores his family and his ...more
Alexandra
Jun 26, 2016 rated it liked it
I have to admit that I only wanted to read this cookbook because it was written by Freddie Prinze Jr., and I had a crush on him when he was in all of the teen movies when I was younger. I mostly read this for the stories that accompanied the recipes, and they were interesting. I actually didn't know a lot about his life, or that even enjoyed cooking. The recipes sounded great, but nothing really stood out to me. He sure loves his home state of New Mexico though!
Manda B
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook, 2016
I read the stories cover to cover during my lunch break. I can't wait to try some of the recipes. They look delicious! You can tell Freddie Prinze Jr. has a real love and passion for food and feeding people in his life. Fun read!
Vicki
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was a fan of Freddie Prinze and when I first saw his son Freddie Prinze Jr. on tv I became a fan of his too, so, when I saw this cookbook at my library I grabbed it.

The book has a lot of recipes that I think I’d like to make like Thai Chicken Curry Soup, Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Marinated Skirt Steak with Cherry Tomatoes and Avocado Salsa, and more.

The book has great photos of some of the food and “Secret Tricks” for a lot of them. There are some interesting stories of his family and friends.
Sabrina
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good cookbook but not for food I prefer to eat. My husband loved the recipes in it. Lots of spicy recipes containing chilies, food from Freddie Prinze's childhood, stuff like that. The book itself is beautiful and large. For someone who likes this type of food, it would be a prized cookbook, I'm sure.
Peggy
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Food for real people

These recipes are not trendy or pseudo-science superfoods but are family-tested meals that are very appealing. I love the tips and explanations for why he does things a certain way. But most of all I love New Mexico cookery and would happily prepare 80% of these recipes.
Meg
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. Some go the recipes are really good. I loved making some of them some are really easy to make. If he writes a memoir in the future I would defiantly pick it up and read it.
Danielle Harris
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm so happy with my purchase. I've already used 2 recipes. It's very easy to follow, the ingredients is easy for me to get, and it's downright delicious!

My next one is Chicken skewers with pineapple with green Chile 🤤
Beka
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
The food looks good, but I especially enjoyed the stories. Mr. Prinze certainly has a unique tone of voice and way of putting things that was fun to read.
Alicia
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-read-in-2019
Fun to read. I haven't tried a recipe yet, but they sound really good.
Jessica
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Who knew FPJ could cook?
Suzanne
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
What an awesome endearing boofhead.
Cindy Kleback
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, cookbooks
If you're looking for a cookbook with lots of recipes that sound delicious and are simple to make, then this is a book for you. Can't wait to try some of these recipes!
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
eh...anyone can make a cookbook these days.
Theresa
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Some interesting recipes are included in the book, but otherwise not impressive.
Charlene Connors
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An avid cookbook collector i read cookbooks like others read novels and i thoroughly enjoyed this cookbook. Along with the recipes, it is filled with charming stories of his growing up in New Mexico along with great photos of his beautiful family. The recipes range from simple to moderately difficult. The ingredients are easily obtainable, the instructions clear and concise. Many of the recipes can be prepared quickly for a fast and easy meal.
This cookbook will not stay on my shelf, i am lookin
Karrie Stewart
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Can Freddie get any cuter?! Not only is he easy on the eyes but he also knows how to cook. Sarah Michelle really lucked out on this one. If you are looking for great recipes with an extra spice kick, this is the cookbook for you. Plus pictures of Freddie DUH
Ash
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Holy Crap! She's All That wrote a book?"
--My reaction to seeing Freddie Prinze Jr.'s book.

I am a late 1980's-1990's kid. As such, I have been aware of Freddie Prinze Jr. since I Know What You Did Last Summer. All the girls went gaga for him. I was kind of indifferent toward him. I really didn't start paying attention to him until he started dating the closest thing to a favorite actress I have and now his wife, Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Then, I realized he is the son of Freddie Prinze. Apparently,
Sara
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
I was meandering through my local Barnes & Noble w/ a coupon in hand & came across this book. After flipping through & seeing recipes that sounded tasty, I decided it needed to be in my collection. I enjoy the stories he shares about his life & his cooking.
The recipes are well written for all levels of cooks. So far, I've tried the following:
Holy $#!% Pulled Pork
Roasted Chicken w/ Lemon, Lime & Orange
Both are excellent & will be served in my home again!
Next to try is Sp
Oct 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prinze is very warm and easy to relate to here. I liked the stories behind the recipes, and the glimpse into his family life.

He has some good ideas here, and he really makes good use of New Mexican chilis. There are a lot of Tex-mex and Spanish influenced flavors here.

I wasn't nuts about the inclusion of a protein drink recipe, and he refers to readers as 'homies' a bunch of times. It made me think he had a male reader in mind.

Most of the recipes are family friendly, and the seafood and pasta d
Lisa
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
First of all I was interested because "Hello!!! It's Freddie Prinze" There were some really good things about this cookbook. I loved that this book had really cool titles for the recipes. Then there was a little paragraph for why this recipe was in the book or why it is important. The recipes themselves had few ingredients and were simple enough that even I could not mess that up. Most of the recipes were ones that seem to have a California flare with avocado or spices that reminded me of that a ...more
Jessica Howard
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks, 2016
I was pleasantly surprised by the recipes and amusing anecdotes in this cookbook. (I mean, I had no idea Freddie Prinze Jr. could cook!) Full review coming for Shelf Awareness - but this could make a nice Father's Day gift, since he talks a lot about his kids, and about passing on a love of cooking.
cj gordon
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining cookbook

I bought the book out of curiosity. I'm surprised. I enjoyed the intros to the recipes. The recipes themselves seem very good. There are many bookmarked to try soon. Most ingredients are easily obtained. Simply worded instructions. All in all, enjoyable and good new recipes to try.
Heather
Jun 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Some of the recipes look/sound delicious, but the amount of bragging & name dropping was a little hard to stomach.

However, I did mark about 15 of the recipes to try ASAP, so look past the writing style, and focus on the food.

• The Geeky Chef Strikes Back: Even More Unofficial Recipes from Minecraft, Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, Twin Peaks, and More!
  • The Ordinary Knight and the Invisible Princess: A Tale in Two Parts
  • The Mac + Cheese Cookbook: 50 Simple Recipes from Homeroom, America's Favorite Mac and Cheese Restaurant
  • Come Home to Supper: Over 200 Casseroles, Skillets, and Sides (Desserts, Too!) to Feed Your Family with Love
  • The Homesick Texan's Family Table: Lone Star Cooking from My Kitchen to Yours
  • The Epicurious Cookbook: More Than 250 of Our Best-Loved Four-Fork Recipes for Weeknights, Weekends & Special Occasions
  • Mexico: The Cookbook
  • Mug Cakes: 100 Speedy Microwave Treats to Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth
  • It's Our Ship: The No-Nonsense Guide to Leadership
  • Wretched Writing: A Compendium of Crimes Against the English Language
  • Fanny at Chez Panisse: A Child's Restaurant Adventures with 46 Recipes
  • At My Grandmother's Table: Heartwarming Stories and Cherished Recipes from the South
Freddie James Prinze Jr is an American actor. He starred in several films, such as I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997), I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (1998), She's All That (1999), Scooby-Doo (2002), and its sequel Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (2004). Prinze has also had recurring and starring roles in television shows, including Friends (2002), Boston Legal (2004), Freddie (2005–06 ...more