Start by marking “The Cat Sitter and the Canary (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #11)” as Want to Read:
The Cat Sitter and the Canary (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #11)

The Cat Sitter and the Canary

(A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #11)

This time out, Dixie’s got a furry partner-in-crime, an irascible Lhasa Apso named Charlie. They’ve just arrived at the home of one of Dixie’s regular clients to check in on Franklin, a mackerel tabby with avocado-green eyes and a luxuriant coat the color of dried beach grass.

Despite a couple of bumps in the road (Franklin seems to be hiding in one of his favorite cubby ho
Published December 20th 2016 by Minotaur Books (first published June 28th 2016)

☯~☽~•Patricia Mainard•~☾~☯
I really enjoyed this book a lot!
Ellen
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Cat Sitter and the Canary by Blaize & John Clement.

Dixie Hemingway (cat/pet sitter) pulls up to a client's home only to find a stranger outside the front door. This stranger has such a thick Scottish accent she has trouble understanding a word out of his mouth. She is finally able to point him towards the correct address he's been looking for. Later Dixie returns to that client's home and stumbles upon a body.
The police arrive shortly thereafter and while trying to uncover any clues tha
Patty
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series, and this book does not disappoint. I would recommend reading all the books in order, but it can be read as a stand alone. I can not wait until the next book, what a cliff hanger.
Kathy Govreau
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down! I love these books so much I am going to re-read them while I am waiting for the next one! Write faster John!
Sue Sharp
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved this book - suspenseful, funny, and I love the continuing growth of the characters. Plus, something happens at the end that has me on the edge waiting for the next in the series!
Sandra
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Random thoughts –writing style was very easy to read. For a book with Canaray in the title there was very little canary in the story. Gigi the rabbit was much more prominent. I thought the whole Guidry issue was resolved in the previous book and was glad for that sense of closure so to have Dixie spend most of the book obsessively thinking about Guidry’s upcoming wedding was a bit odd but it makes sense in light of that ending. I guess that also explains why this one was fairly light on woth Eth ...more
Grandma
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great addition to the series!

Dealing with a bunny and a canary in this latest edition of the "Cat Sitter" series, Dixie is again in the thick of murder and mystery. The surprise ending leaves one breathlessly awaiting the next installment
Linnea
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-in-series
Very enjoyable read. It was hard to put down, even with all the dead bodies. This was my first Dixie book and I am looking forward to more.
Margie
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just an all around enjoyable series. I can't wait for the next one.
Dyana
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm an avid reader and, yet, have never heard of this series. I picked it up in the library because of the cover - a cat looking wistfully at a canary in a golden cage. It's the 11th in the series, but I was only vaguely aware that I was missing background. It does well as a stand alone book and is a cozy, pet-centered thriller written with wit and suspense. The characters are engaging and fun.

Dixie Hemingway lives on the island of Siesta Key off the coast of Sarasota, Florida. She is a "whateve
Kathy
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this series totally and completely. After Blaize Clement passed away, I thought Dixie died with her. Although I am usually right (just ask my family), I was dead wrong on this. John Clement has taken the Dixie series and made his Mom proud. In fact, I think the writing is better! Although each book could be read individually, start with #1 and plow through them in sequence. You won't want to miss a word.
Kathryn Reichman Atkins
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm hopeful that John Clements will continue the series! That Said, this particular books was Loaded with surprises! Dixie Hemingway is a great character with wonderful supporting characters. Rather than spoil this last book's surprises, I will only say to John Clements, "We MUST know how Dixie's surprise visitor affects her life!" You cannot leave us all hanging!
Julie Mink
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite cozy mystery series. I love all the characters and this story had so many twists and turns that I did not know who did what to who until the end and then it left me with a real cliffhanger ending. Now I will be champing at the bit for the next book. John Clement has taken up the series when his mother died and is doing a great job with the series.
Ed
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
#11 in the Dixie Hemingway series. A fine entry in this fun, animal-centric, cozy mystery series. Since it's a cozy, I'm not too disturbed by lapses in plot logic; however, Dixie's old flame Guidry has moved to New Orleans and is about to get married and there are a ridiculous number of people reminding Dixie of this and commiserating with her. It's almost enough to distract her from the serial killer stalking her. A fun read.

The Siesta Key, Fla., pet sitter and former deputy sheriff stops by th
Homerun2
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
We all wondered how this series would fare when original author Blaize Clement died and her son John took over. And on the whole, he has done a terrific job of continuing the adventures of cat-sitter Dixie Hemingway, a courageous women with a tragic past who has managed to survive to mostly enjoy life and solve a few mysteries along the way.

In this outing, Dixie is apparently and mysteriously being targeted for murder: two dead bodies are found with notes attached indicating Dixie will be next.
K. East
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hurrah! John Clements appears to have hit his stride. After his mother, Blaize Clement, died and he took on writing this series, the portrayal of Dixie Hemingway had a bit of a hiccup. He's still pretty dependent on the romance angle in this one -- hence the "surprise ending" [saw that one coming] -- but at least Dixie doesn't look like a simpering idiot. The mystery was a little more convoluted than it probably needed to be, and the resolution via phone was a little too neat, but all in all, th ...more
Beth
While this book lists two authors, the mother, Blaize Clement, dies in 2011, so the book was mostly written by her son John. I felt that in this book particularly, the quality of writing has diminished. In several places it seemed as if descriptions and backstory were lifted right out of some earlier books in the series. Consequently, not enough care was taken with the current plot.

I still fin Dixie Hemingway an interesting character, but the actual mystery seem more contrived than the earlier
Marialba Martinez
Another hit

Once again John Clement writes a great story about the Dixie Hemingway series! It has so many ins and outs in the plot that I really couldn't figure out who the bad guys were. I really think it is one of the best Dixie stories I have read so far. Dixie seems more mature now and able to handle things that happen to her, even if she sometimes still can work up a Dookie. But John, those cliffhangers are brutal. You really need to speed up the writing and get the next novel out to us!
Beth
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
This was a pleasant read with some interesting twists and turns, and one at the end that was a bit unsettling. It wasn't particularly memorable for the plot, but I'm always captivated by the setting and the supporting characters...and, of course, the cats. It's a good series, and this was a good entry. I missed Billy Elliot in this one, though.
Michele
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this series since the first book. After the author died, her son took over the writing...he and his mother had worked together to get plots planned before her death and he has done a great job. There are some subtle changes with new authorship, but still a great series.
Leslie Angel
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
continues to be enjoyable series
Freda Witt
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I know these are light reading, but I love Dixie and her love of animals.
Loretta
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
No. I'm sorry, I reject that ending. I reject the half-hearted, rushed wrap-up of the case, and I reject the final page. (Except that yes, it also kind of makes sense and fits so I don't know how I feel about it and maybe I need to go back and read the other books again.)

That aside, I'm getting a little tired of the same rehashing of the story in every single book. I get that perhaps the author wants the books to be able to stand alone for a new reader. But the constant rehashing of 'this is how
T K Nelson
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozies
I’m a slow reader and occasionally can judge a book by how long it takes to finish. This was finished in 3 days. It caught my interest and didn’t drag. The series continues to have a bit different feel with John as author. Longstanding characters are being written without much depth, seemingly included more as filler than important parts of Dixie’s life. On the other hand Dixie may be finally starting to confront her demons. I realize what she went through is horrific but it’s time to let her mo ...more
Dee
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: xx-ebook-own
This was a really good book.
However I noticed discrepancies with the backstory/history and an event in a prior book.
First details about how Dixie's father lost his life. Second is the reference to Ethan's apartment, his sloppiness factor and that Dixie had never been there. Maybe Ethan moved but that seems rather unlikely to me.
However, this will not prevent me from reading future Dixie books.
Joan E
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you read this series (11 books total to date), book 11: The Cat Sitter and The Canary, has such a great cliffhanger ending!! Whew, I was not expecting this ending.... (I can hardly wait for the next one to be published....) This is one of my most favorite series & I look forward to many more adventures with Dixie & her crew ! Please keep them coming !! And looking forward to book 12 real SOON...?
Marseydoats
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was not nearly as good as the earlier ones, and it had a little bit of a dark side to it that I didn't like. The "canary" didn't even show up until almost the end of the book, it should have been called "The Cat Sitter and the Rabbit" because the rabbit was featured prominently from the beginning. I didn't like the jacket cover either, whoever drew it distorted the cats face.
Marilyn
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I enjoy reading about Dixie and her escapades. This tale seems to say sometimes there are coincidences or maybe two different things are going on at the same time and both involve Dixie. It is amazing how many people have a connection to Dixie's ex and will be attending his wedding. I did NOT care for the ending. The lawyer in Dixie's life is a good man and she doesn't need complications.
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
A decent conclusion (I assume, since I can’t find any info on any forthcoming books) to the series, at least right up to the very last page. Little bit less of a cohesive mystery in this one and more “throw away” murders and characters (unless the series DOES continue) than is typical for the series, but all in all a pleasant diversion for a few hours of reading.
Sara
May 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wish I had stopped before I read this. Don't like to be left hanging like this. I would recommend the series except this one

Wish I had stopped with the book prior to this. Don't like to be left hanging when reading too feel good. I recommend all books in the series except this one.

• Getting Old Can Kill You (Gladdy Gold, #7)
  • Catnapped! (A Dead-End Job Mystery, #13)
  • Death on the Menu (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #8)
  • Literally Murder (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery #4)
  • The Purrfect Halloween Prank (Beatrice Young Cozy Cat Mysteries, #4)
  • Treacherous Tart (Pie in the Sky Mystery, #2)
  • Arson and Old Lace (Far Wychwood, #1)
  • From Bad to Wurst (Passport to Peril #10)
  • Air Dance Iguana
  • Treacherous Toys (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #5)
  • Bloody Waters (Lupe Solano, #1)
  • Cat Among the Pumpkins
  • Hark the Herald Angels Slay (A Year-Round Christmas Mystery, #3)
  • Going Dark (Thorn, #13)
My passion is people. I think people are absolutely magnificent. Not the power-hungry heads of governments or churches or corporations who justify all kinds of horror if it suits their goals, but the rest of us. In spite of the awful things some human beings do in order to control other human beings, most people are peacefully going about their own business, and I applaud that. Families are the ba ...more

A Dixie Hemingway Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #1)
  • Duplicity Dogged the Dachshund (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #2)
  • Even Cat Sitters Get the Blues (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #3)
  • Cat Sitter on a Hot Tin Roof (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #4)
  • Raining Cat Sitters and Dogs (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #5)
  • Cat Sitter Among the Pigeons (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #6)
  • The Cat Sitter's Pajamas (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #7)
  • The Cat Sitter's Cradle (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #8)
  • The Cat Sitter's Nine Lives (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #9)
  • The Cat Sitter's Whiskers (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #10)