Start by marking “Uproot: Travels in 21st-Century Music and Digital Culture” as Want to Read:
Uproot: Travels in 21st-Century Music and Digital Culture

Uproot: Travels in 21st-Century Music and Digital Culture

In 2001 Jace Clayton was an unknown DJ who recorded a three-turntable, sixty-minute mix and put it online to share with friends. Within weeks, Gold Teeth Thief became an international calling card, whisking Clayton away to play a nightclub in Zagreb, a gallery in Osaka, a former brothel in Sao Paolo, and the American Museum of Natural History. Just as the music world made ...more
Published August 16th 2016 by FSG Originals (first published July 5th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Uproot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uproot

Peter Hollo
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been an admirer of Jace Clayton's work since he put the first DJ /rupture mix GOLD TEETH THIEF mix up for download. A superior tastemaker, he's also an extremely astute observer of technology, culture and human behaviour, and all that comes out in this focused collection of essays exploring the way digital (and analogue) technologies interact with different strata of different cultures.
He doesn't shy away from the potentially deleterious effects of technological change - especially when dri
Maciek
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great read for every person interested in this weird thing called 'world music'. There's a lot of traveling, listening, DJing, preaching, criticizing, and commenting here. And yes, a contemporary music business is extremely complicated.
John
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Number of times this book made me cry: four.

I intend to re-read it to capture the most wonderful quotes.
Michael Sedor
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Open all borders
K
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read a lot of music books, but Clayton's take on the present state of music is astute and will no doubt wind its way into my teaching and scholarship. I especially loved the chapters on Red Bull and Tribal.
Matt
Aug 05, 2017 added it
i loved this book. he writes really well and provides music from all over the world on this flat plane (just as his subject, the internet, does). his judgments mostly land on corporate sponsorships and record labels throughout the book. i loved the chapter on world music/world music 2.0 and the excerpt on omar souleyman/exoticism. the souleyman thing is really great because sometimes the press and branding with souleyman seems facile, the pursuit of the exotic, or that sometimes it's some sort o ...more
Chris Marmo
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Full of rich vignettes examining the intersections of music, technology and culture. I really liked the threading and layering of autobiography, travelogue reportage and nearly-academic writing, but found that the moments of self-awareness through the book were occasionally self-serving. The author does call out his positionality to some degree, but I would have liked him to spend more time being explicitly reflective about his own case as a taste-maker and cultural flaneur, now author and self- ...more
Jack Duff
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
Long-form music journalism is hard to come by these days, and full volumes of music-focused nonfiction that aren’t historical or biographical are nearly nonexistent. I didn’t expect much of Uproot, and was expecting more of a discussion of Napster and Pitchfork like all the other “21st-century music” books. I was very wrong - this collection is a vibrant, energetic approach to the very concept of music, through the exploration of global dance music, electronic and otherwise.

I can’t think of any
Fabrício Calado
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Better read with headphones on.

Every chapter brought with it a piece of music, old and new, which left me searching for it wherever it was available (see, Spotify and YouTube, totalitarian as they might be, don't have all the answers).

Highly informing without sounding condescending, it breathes optimism. For sure, there are rants about the way things are right now, but there's also hope, fueled by travels and enlightened by sonic visions, that things can be different. Definitely a good thought
John
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As much as "The Song Machine"(TSM) depressed me about the state of music, Jace Clayton's 'Uproot' restored my hope in music made and listened to for the joy of music (rather than money ala TSM). The intersection of music with digital production and DJing around the world is really cool, and the website that accompanies the book has an excellent listening guide that I listened through as I read the book, and was exposed to a great deal of interesting music from around the world.

The early chapters
Ira Carter
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are a lot of excellent comments about how cool this book is. If I were to write a review per se, I would be repeating a lot of what they said. The book is about current styles of dance music, where digital culture meets that music, with lots of tasty world travel stories thrown in. The pace occasionally bogs down for a page or two, but overall it is a crisp, fascinating read. Another great book to take to the beach on vacation.
Owen Duckworth
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing read, great for music heads and travelers alike

Loved reading a book about music and international travel written by a person of color and a person who clearly nerds out on music as much as I do. Lots of excellent perspectives on navigating different cultures, places, technological realities, and the evolution of the music industry and how people around the world engage with music. Highly recommended!
G.
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Music is as much about the discovery as it is about the listening. Follow Jace Clayton's Third World voyage through the time of DJ-ing and the space of underground supply channels. This book makes me want to hear everything played in every kind of setting. Never knowing it all is the drive that fuels the quest.
Peter
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
best book on contemporary music production that i have read. takes ethnomusicology out of the decidedly murky pool of "world music" and sets it on a course towards understanding global culture as a web or network of influences acting upon one another. who would have known dj /rupture was also a brilliant essayist?
jeff
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Erudite, thoughtful, funny, entertaining. I have read a handful of Clayton's essays over the years and they have always struck me as written by someone who is constantly in motion, extraordinarily thoughtful about music and its role in cultures all over the world. These did not disappoint. He has a catholic taste (obviously leaning toward electronic work) and is deeply invested in the way music lives in the cultures from which it springs. His piece about the Berbers in Morocco was really well-wr ...more
Tankboy
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
On one hand this is wonderful nostalgia, reminding me of the shift from physical to digital. More importantly it's a great look into how the resulting fragmentation could be a great thing, should we embrace it.
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
I want everyone to read this book if they like music.
Brucie
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: real-life-story
Seriously important and consistently interesting reflection and insight on world music culture.
Dave Paul
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
outernational piff
Cody
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Digital culture is complex. I personally owe what little audience my music has to the internet. It’s such an incredible tool for creation and community. But, in the past decade or two, just about every cultural construct has been digitally disrupted, whether it’s the music and publishing industries or journalism or physical media. I tend to agree with Jace Clayton that this upheaval is predominantly good, but the degree to which seemingly everything has been undermined has left us all in a kind ...more
Atte Tuomaala
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Uproot is a beautiful and heartfelt discussion of how modern digital methods of creating and distributing music have affected the entire art form and the culture surrounding it. The topics vary from auto-tune and Fruity Loops to .mp3 files and sampling.

Clayton's travels as a world-touring DJ and a passionate explorer of sounds, places and cultures often considered exotic ground all of the book's themes and allow the reader to get to know the people behind the phenomena the book describes. Cities
Phil Overeem
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I learned so much from this book, and had my mind opened so often. It even has me considering creating digital music, something I've seldom ever imagined doing. Plus, it's turned up the heat further on my desire to travel abroad to LISTEN as well as see. A truly great book.
Ben Bush
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
Best piece of music writing I've read in a long time, but I'd recommend it not just for music fans but also for those interested in new technology, global econ, North Africa, etc. I read this the week of the deaths of Prince and Richard Lyons of Negativland. This book bridges the gap between those two artists.
Vuk Trifkovic
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent book. I love his music, and his writing is just as strong. It is insightful, honest, fierce. Along with Heffernan's "Magic and Loss" it is by far the best recent book on intersection of technology and culture too. Go read.
Sam
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and fascinating read. A musical travelog of sorts. Jace has seen and heard a lot of music all over the world. He's got some interesting stuff to say about the state of music and technology, past and present. Lots of fun and super eye-opening.
Mills College Library
  • Noise Uprising: The Audiopolitics of a World Musical Revolution
  • Sophie Calle - True Stories
  • Real Life Rock
  • Out of the Vinyl Deeps: On Rock Music
  • Do Not Sell at Any Price: The Wild, Obsessive Hunt for the World's Rarest 78rpm Records
  • Going into the City: Portrait of a Critic as a Young Man
  • Cowboys and Indies: The Epic History of the Record Industry
  • Book Architecture
  • Louis Armstrong, Master of Modernism
  • Common as Air: Revolution, Art, and Ownership
  • Paddling My Own Canoe
  • Cuba and Its Music: From the First Drums to the Mambo
  • Haunted Weather: Music, Silence, and Memory
  • Why You Love Music: From Mozart to Metallica--The Emotional Power of Beautiful Sounds
  • Motown: The Sound Of Young America
  • Noise/Music: A History
  • Every Song Ever: Twenty Ways to Listen in an Age of Musical Plenty
  • Critical Mass: Four Decades of Essays, Reviews, Hand Grenades, and Hurrahs
“Bands perform songs. DJs perform records.” 0 likes
“The secret of Vegas is that money is boring.
Hence all the bluster.”