Start by marking “Vicarious (Vicarious, #1)” as Want to Read:
Vicarious (Vicarious, #1)

Vicarious

(Vicarious #1)

Winter Kim and her sister, Rose, work as high-tech stunt girls for Rose’s ex-boyfriend, Gideon, engaging in dangerous and enticing activities while recording their neural impulses for his Vicarious Sensory Experiences, or ViSEs. Whether it’s bungee jumping, shark diving, or grinding up against celebrities at the city’s hottest dance clubs, Gideon can make it happen for you ...more
Published August 16th 2016 by Tor

To ask other readers questions about Vicarious, please sign up.
Paula Stokes I'm wondering who some of these people are too ;) Some of them are beta-readers that I utilized to verify cultural and technological aspects of the…moreI'm wondering who some of these people are too ;) Some of them are beta-readers that I utilized to verify cultural and technological aspects of the storyline, and some of them might be employees of Tor/Macmillan or readers for foreign presses. Or else they just rated the cover. I mean, it is a really nice cover :D

If you're into Comic Con and/or classic 80s movies, I took a trip to the near future a couple months back and highly recommend Sarvenaz Tash's GEEK'S GUIDE TO UNREQUITED LOVE, releasing in June :)

P.S. Your question made me laugh. I like laughing. Thank you :)(less)
Paula Stokes There is a romance. In the first book Winter is too traumatized by her sister's death to focus on romance. Her coworker is really sweet and really…moreThere is a romance. In the first book Winter is too traumatized by her sister's death to focus on romance. Her coworker is really sweet and really into her so she lets down her guard with him a couple of times but they are not a couple and she tells him repeatedly that she's not in an emotional place where she can be with someone else. In the second book he comes back around, but I won't tell you why or what happens since I don't want to spoil anything ;)(less)

Paula Stokes
Jun 27, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Things you might want to know:

This is a duology, but both books have complete story arcs and endings.

I wrote this book from mid 2012 to early 2013, but then Life happened and Publishing happened and so Vicarious is actually being published three months later than the book I wrote in late 2014 (Girl Against the Universe). Spending so much time awaiting the fate of this story and tinkering with it off and on means that I’ve become very emotionally attached to these characters. Because of that I li
Lola
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

Well that was… immensely intense.

I just can’t believe human trafficking is something that exists and everywhere in the world at that. Not only is it illegal, but the thought of someone claiming another person’s life the way they want is absolutely repulsive and enraging and scaring and it shouldn’t exist.

Luckily, Winter escaped the men who kidnapped her and her sister. Now, she works for Gideon as a ‘‘recorder.’’ In this futuristic world, experiences/situations can be recorded with a h
Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
See this review and more like it on www.bookbastion.net!
____________

This was my first Paula Stokes novel and I'm happy to report that she's found a new fan! I found her writing style surprisingly engaging, especially when it comes to plotting and keeping those pages that fall between the beginning and end interesting. Sometimes the premise of a book can totally hook you, and while the beginning and end has great movement, the middle parts suffer to keep the pace up as characters work through wha
Alyssa

Book One of the Vicarious series
Publisher: Tor Teen
Publication Date: August 16, 2016
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Winter Kim and her sister, Rose, have always been inseparable. Together, the two of them survived growing up in a Korean orphanage and being trafficked into the United States.

Now they work as digital stunt girls for Rose’s ex-boyfriend, Gideon, engaging in dangerous and
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
There really aren’t that many YA books that embrace the harsh realities of the world we live in. Even when writing a sci-fi thriller, Paula Stokes is courageous enough to do so. She doesn’t embellish, she refuses to sugarcoat, and she throws the ugliest bits right in our faces. While I wouldn’t debate its appropriateness for younger teens (I still struggle with determining the lines for my kiddo), I applaud Stokes for taking us where so few YA authors have gone before.

Vicarious isn’t ea
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life

I liked this book but not nearly as much as I had hoped I would. I live in the St. Louis area, so when I saw the cover of this book, I just had to read it. I put all of my other books aside when I picked this one up from my library and starting reading it right away. It turned out to be an okay read for me. I am glad that I read it but I wasn't blown away by it.

One of the reasons that I read this book was the setting and I do have to say that
Keertana
Paula Stokes is full of surprises. When her debut, The Art of Lainey, burst onto the scene, ticking off all the right boxes for Contemporary YA, I thought for sure that I had discovered a new go-to author for the genre. Imagine my surprise when her sophomore novel, Liars, Inc. was full of mystery; a thriller featuring diversity in multiple ways. I knew her next contemporary novel would be stellar, but Girl Against the Universe surpassed my wildest expectations. So, when Vicarious fell into my la ...more
Stacee
Wow. Wow. Wow. I don't even have words.

There were parts that I didn't care for {the human trafficking history, obviously}, but it was handled well and this story was amazing. I had no idea what was happening the entire time.

You guys are in for one hell of a ride.
Lindsay Cummings
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
killer plot with a wickedly good twist ending :) :) yall don't even know what's coming.....
Ari
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, best-of

Let’s make things clear from the beginning.
I loved The Art of Lainey, it was romantic and cute and so much fun.. but this one here, this is even better. So dark, so twisted, so amazing! Such a fantastic read, I can’t wait for book two and I can’t recommend it enough! I love, love, love it!!

In the beginning I felt a bit of confusion, there was a point when I started wondering if this wasn’t in fact the second book in the series, because there was so much talk about past events I wasn’t yet aware
Tabea Vanessa
Apr 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow!! So much trash in one book.
I read this because someone on Instagram said if you loved Ready Player One, then you will love this. Well, no! There is not a single RPO vibe going on EVER!
Also: the story is so, so boring. It tries way too hard the entire time.
The characters suck. Like big time! The protagonist loses her sister and she‘s sad for like 1 hour and then she‘s totally fine and starts dating a friend a day later. Sure thing. I‘d react the same way if my sister, who was established as
Rashika (is tired)
5 Reasons Why You Should Read Vicarious

1. The main character. Stokes’ always writes great characters and this book is no exception. Winter is a complex character with a backstory that will make you want to shelter her from the world. Winter is BADASS but her past has left a mark on her and it does affect how she functions as a human being. I guess what I am trying to say is that Winter is a flawed character but in a realistic and understandable way and her flaws don't make her any less badas
Crystal (that.ending.though)
OMFG SOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!! There was so much I did NOT see coming and I stayed guessing what the heck was going on until the VERY end, and boy was I all :-O whaaaaaat???? This is definitely a MUST READ!!
Jen Ryland
Interesting futuristic thriller. I've seen this plot twist before, but I think it was set up pretty well. On to the sequel!

Full review to come.

Eileen (BookCatPin)
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Vicarious was a surprisingly dark read but Ms. Paula Stokes sure knows how to write a thriller that keeps you on your toes. This book was such a riveting experience. So chock-full of unexpected. It was one shock after another towards the end.

So I had a bit of a hard time getting into Vicarious at the beginning. That started to change as I had a chance to understand Winter better. The darker content of the story definitely set the mood for a sobering one. Add in the search for a killer, I couldn'
Shelley
*Source* Library
*Genre* Young Adult, Science Fiction
*Rating* 3.5-4

*My Thoughts*

Vicarious is the first installment in author Paula Stokes new series by the same name. Per the author, this is actually a duology, which means the final book, Ferocious, will be released sometime in 2017. Vicarious is told from the perspective of 18-year old Winter Kim (aka Son Ha Neul). Winter was dumped at a Korean orphanage by her mother, and later brought to America, along with her sister Rose, by a Sex Slave Trad
Kami
Sep 17, 2015 added it
This is a pre-review of the 100 page sampler from NetGalley!
So far I am super into Vicarious! There has been lots of action and I can't wait until it is published and I can finish it. I would still like to know more about Winter and Rose's past but I guess that's later in the book. Overall, these 100 pages are great!

UPDATE!
I finished Vicarious! And what a cliffhanger ending. I'm not really a big fan of how Winter acts but the story is interesting and I am excited to read Ferocious. It reminds
Monica
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great story, suspense! Would love more of these characters
Debby
Beta read: August 2015
Reread: July 2016

4 stars

Let me start by being completely upfront with you guys. I first read this book last year as a beta reader, and I am now writing my review after having read an advance review copy, so I'm familiar with this story and have seen it develop over time. Paula Stokes is a dear friend. But my blog is nothing if not honest, and I am not lying when I say that this book blew me away.

I'm not a typical mystery/thriller reader, and a simple whodunnit is not someth
Pili
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hold on to your knickers tight guys! This one will leave your mind reeling, your heart pounding and you'll likely commit a felony to get your hands on the sequel!!

Vicarious is science fiction thriller, more mystery and thriller than science fiction, since the world is very similar to ours with advanced different technology but essentially something that feels like the world we know.

Winter and her sister Rose escaped a horrible situation and found a better life in St Louis, both of them working f
Wolf (Alpha)
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this and thought it was a bit sad as well.VICARIOUS by Paula Stokes was an absolutely fantastic read. As Paula Stokes’s fifth book, VICARIOUS was definitely a one-of-a-kind read as it dips into the realm of virtual reality and technology so advanced that hasn’t yet been made while at the same time showing the importance of familial bonds. I honestly loved the way the plot developed and how the characters actually changed/developed in front of our eyes to a level that had readers enjoy se ...more
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
Despite the dark topics such as self-harm, drug abuse, murder, prostitution, etc. Vicarious didn't really end up being dark.

There were parts where I was contemplating seating it aside for later because they weren't going anywhere despite the research they were conducting but I hate leaving unfinished books laying around so I stick through it and the pacing quickly picked up. And when it actually ended, I wanted more. These cliffhanger endings aren't joking around.

Pick this book if you're into
T.A. Maclagan
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Vicarious was a rip-roaring thrill ride! I loved Stokes first thriller, Liars, Inc., so decided to try Vicarious! It was everything I was hoping for. The heroine was a believable kick butt girl you could love, the romance elements were scintillating and the action was top notch! And don't get me started on the ending...whoa mama...good stuff! Bring on the sequel and fast!
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Vicarious is the first book in an action-packed duology by Paula Stokes, better yet, this first installment takes place in St. Louis! I don’t think a book I’ve ever read has ever happened in my dull little city. Maybe there was a mention of it or a very brief stay, but that’s it! The fact that this book is pretty intense coupled with a mystery to boot, it had me itching to read it stat. Yet, I restrained myself to wait until I could binge the duology, for sanity purposes of course!

Winter and Ros
Wendy
I've been wanting to read more Stokes for awhile, and I'm really glad I picked this one up! It's a thrill ride that doesn't feel artificial in its constant, shifting dangers. Winter is a compelling narrator/protagonist, what with her whole tragic backstory and believable struggle to heal. The sci fi elements are well integrated, as is the romance. There's a lot going on in my life right now, and the perfect books for me balance escapism and relentless plot with characters I care about and enough ...more
Lauren
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pub-tor
This book is a rush. Fast paced and intense. I was kept reading quickly and guessing up to the end. I was right there along with Winter trying to figure everything out. This girl has gone through a lot and because of that finds it easier to participate and record extreme sports and other dangerous activities than get close to people. It was both painful and rewarding to watch her begin to open up and face her past in this book. Especially as that happens when she discovers her beloved sister Ros ...more
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book... where do I even start? This was by far one of my favorite reads of 2016. Vicarious by Paula Stokes stars Winter Kim, who does stunts while recording her neural impulses, which will then be used commercially for people to experience what she does... without the risk of actually injuring themselves. Winter, a Korean transplant, has had a difficult background, which I'll allow you to discover for yourself, but just let me reassure you, it feels authentic and is well done. Her sister ha ...more
Metaphorosis
2.5 stars - Metaphorosis Reviews

A Korean teen who escaped trafficking tries to rebuld her life with the help of her sister and her protector. She takes risks that only increase when it seems her sister has been abducted and killed.

Paula Stokes writes smoothly, but with an inclination toward choppy prose and dramatic pauses. Every chapter ends with a brief, blunt, dramatically-intended wrap-up statement, and they're liberally sprinkled (poured?) throughout the book.

It's annoying.

That's really the
Agustina Zanelli
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gané este libro en un concurso de gráficos de la autora y finalmente me picó tanto la curiosidad que lo leí. ¡MUCHÍSIMAS GRACIAS PAULA!

Lo primero que llamó mi atención fue todo este tema de la realidad virtual, me pareció tan interesante. Por alguna razón me imaginaba algo completamente diferente, más enfocado a lo virtual y la ciencia ficción, mientras que la historia está más orientada al suspense. De todas maneras me gustó mucho la trama llena de misterio.

Los personajes tiene un pasado duro y
Once Upon a Twilight
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Vicarious is one hell of a mystery infused with secrets that will leave your head spinning. I went in thinking this story would be about a sister seeking justice but it's so much more than that.

The main character Winter is told that her sister Rose is dead and she can't believe it. Winter and Rose both had a job, their job was to record their experiences so that others may enjoy the benefits without actually doing anything. Say you wanted to skydive but you were too terrified to do it, well ViS
Better Read Than ...: September 2016 Vicarious 1 5 Sep 05, 2016 09:12PM
VICARIOUS ARC fixes, non-spoilery 1 13 Dec 02, 2015 12:52PM
A note on the Romanization of Hangul in VICARIOUS 1 12 Dec 02, 2015 12:24PM
  • The Chaos of Now
  • Splinter
  • Escape from Shadow Island (Max Cassidy, #1)
  • Astray (Gated, #2)
  • The Row
  • Dancing with Molly
  • The Truth of Right Now
  • Unforgettable
  • Trust Me (Find Me, #3)
  • Zenn Scarlett (Zenn Scarlett, #1)
  • Shutter
  • Nothing Left to Burn
  • Remember
  • The Disappearance of Sloane Sullivan
  • Cormorant Run
  • Project X-Calibur
  • The Killer in Me
  • The Waters of Iwingee (Book 1)
*** Please contact me via the contact information on my website: authorpaulastokes.com ***

Paula Stokes is half writer, half RN, and totally thrilled to be part of the world of YA literature. She started out writing historical fiction under a pen name and is now branching out into other YA genres.

When she's not working (rare), she's kayaking, hiking, reading, or seeking out new adventures in farawa

Vicarious (2 books)
  • Ferocious (Vicarious, #2)
“We are not killers,” Gideon says firmly.

“In my experience everyone is a killer.” Baz’s eyes go cold. He leans back against the wall. “Or a victim. Some people just need a little coaxing to choose a side.”
60 likes