Start by marking “Sleep Smarter: 21 Essential Strategies to Sleep Your Way to A Better Body, Better Health, and Bigger Success” as Want to Read:

Sleep Smarter is a fun and entertaining look at how sleep impacts your mind, body, and performance, without skimping on the "how to's" to get the sleep you really deserve.

Whether you've struggled with sleep problems, or you're simply interested in living a longer, healthier life, you're going to be blown away with what you learn. Here's just a sampling of what you're going
Published March 15th 2016 by Rodale Books (first published May 22nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Sleep Smarter, please sign up.
Monica I'm not sure that I'm qualified to answer your question since I have not read Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker, although after reading what his book is…moreI'm not sure that I'm qualified to answer your question since I have not read Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker, although after reading what his book is about I would still stick with my initial response to the general question if this book is worth reading with a yes response.

I found Shawn Stevenson's book to be a guide of behaviors or rituals of "how" to get a more qualitative sleep and he supported it with science. I like books that have a how to approach and I'd definitely say that was the overall focus of the book.(less)

Start your review of Sleep Smarter: 21 Essential Strategies to Sleep Your Way to A Better Body, Better Health, and Bigger Success
Mischenko
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Finding this book was like a stroke of luck for me and I was really excited to get into it. After attempting to repair my sleep habits months ago, there were still multiple things I was doing wrong.

In Sleep Smarter, author Shawn Stevenson shares his journey through healing himself from a debilitating disease. After diagnosis, he was told there wasn't much he could do and eventually he decided to take his health into his own hands. With sleep and nutrition, Shawn was able to heal his body and
George Jankovic
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've been having sleeping problems lately so I read two books on the topic. This one was great. Each step has a lot of science behind it so you really buy into it. We need to be convinced emotionally and rationally to follow. I will definitely try to make this happen even though I already do some of these things and let's see.

Enjoy!
Sheri
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sleep, 2017
Better sleep leads to better health which in turn leads to a better life. The hows and whys of each sleep strategy are presented as well as tips to help implement them. I've read these strategies before but I found this book offered explanations that really resonated with me.
Valerie
Jun 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
Decided not to finish. Ridiculous pseudo-science + common sense mixed with an annoying level of infomercial-style self promotion. Bleh.
Mimi
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life-learnings
I’ve long felt better sleeping habits could make a marked difference in my life but Sleep Smarter by Shawn Stevenson reveals exactly how.

SPOILER ALERT: It is so valuable I wanted to take the time to share the key secrets so you can start taking action immediately but do read the whole book to soak up all the wisdom.

SLEEP IS THE SECRET INGREDIENT!

You can eat well and exercise but it may be futile to get to the health you want or to be as productive as you want without sleep. Not only will it be
marilyn
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, digital
I have been working on my sleep for a very long time although I also have been not working on my sleep very well, for a very long time. I already knew almost everything in this book and when I put these things into practice, my sleep improves immensely but when I let things slip, I go back to my slovenly sleep ways. Recently I had to go out of town and stayed in a hotel for 3 nights and having just read the first 5 chapters of the book, I remembered to put them into practice and slept the best ...more
Missy J
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very quick read.

In short, this book is about sleeping.
Tips and tricks on how to improve your sleep. For example, not having any "screen time" 90 minutes before you go to bed to avoid blue light, to keep the temperature low in your bedroom and dark, to not wear any tight clothes, to ventilate your room and keep a plant, develop a ritual, drink less coffee and alcohol, regularly exercise and maintain a healthy weight... The author provided a lot of interesting information about sleep in
Daniel Sperry
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is thick with pseudo science. From rubbing magnesium in specific parts of the body to negative ions energizing a person. Fake Science!
Michal Wojtera
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-development
There are some brilliant ideas in this book, but unfortunately they are scrambled together with some utter nonsensical pseudo-science and product promotion. (Earthing for example).

Take each strategy (maybe except the blue-light regime, that's scientifically proven) and verify it.
There is also some sound advice about things like coffee and importance of sleep.
I watched Shawn's talk @ Google (check youtube if you are interested) and really liked what I saw,
but the book dissapointed.

I bought it on
Georgi
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sd-basics
I like:
+ Good tips on sleep improvement
+ Not too long
+ Short, structured chapters

I didn't like:
- Leaves feeling for "subjectivity" as many of the references and especially all link are to websites, property of the author
- Felt like the last 3 chapters didn't deliver too much value
Shirley
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kate
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
The lack of footnotes in this book is troubling to me. It makes a lot of big claims and the references aren't directly connected to them. If I see a phrase like "studies have shown", I want to know exactly what study and be able to access it immediately. I don't want to have to go through every reference in the bibliography and cross-check it against every claim in the book. A few of the things here sound really pseudoscientific to me (like the EMF section) and the substandard way the sources ...more
Sue
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have insomnia, and have done all I have ever heard to get a good nights sleep. This book has ideas I've never heard of, as well as a 14 day challenge. I am encouraged that I can get a better night's sleep for the first time in a long time!
Derek Harvey
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Practical. Well researched. And witty! Not dry at all. And it touches on WAY MORE than just your sleep. If you're looking for a health overhaul, you could easily start with this book.
Anastasia
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and informative
CP (Wayne)
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Simply put, sleeping takes up one third of our lives – it’s a part of us we can’t avoid, so why not hack it and use it to our advantage. This book reminds me of how we often overlook the importance of quality sleep and don’t use to our advantage.

I read the first version and was a bit disappointed with its lack of depth but this version definitely did it justice. It includes so much more description and all the tips are well supported as they make references to various credible University medical
Amy
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
In my effort to work on improving my self-care in 2019, I heard about this one during a Book Riot podcast. Sleeping better is definitely something that would help with my self-care improvement strategy. I found a lot of great information in this book ... but it's not a perfect book. There's a great deal of woo woo stuff in this one, stuff that just isn't of interest to me. But, the pieces around technology's impact on sleep were fascinating and made me really rethink things. I also want to ...more
Julia Doherty
This book was recommended by the Pat Flynn book club. I'm short of time this month so it was nice to get a quick read under my belt (this was about an hour on audio).

Lots of tips for being more productive and having better quality of sleep.

My takeaways:-

1. Turn off blue light and do not look at my phone at least 90 mins before going to bed.

2. Stick with a regular routine.

3. Try not to drink caffeine after 3pm each day.

4. Alcohol makes you fall asleep quicker, but it also wakes you up in the
Ahmad Moshrif
I think 190 pages are too much for usual tips.

good book!
Sandie
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Overall, this is an excellent source of information. Instead of just a list of “fixes”, the author provides the reasons the fixes are recommended. Unfortunately, I have tried all of these suggestions without any long lasting impact on my sleep. As an educator in mental health, I had hoped to use this material and 14 day plan with participants, however, the book seems to overemphasize costly products that my clientele cannot afford such as topical magnesium, grounding mats, and new ...more
Maria Ryan
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
100% Readable. 100%-Plus Implementable.

Sleep is a vital nutrient and this book is totally digestible. Sleep Smarter stands out from all the others in its genre. Written in Shawn’s own familiar and friendly voice (themodelhealthshow.com), it is chock full of the latest research regarding the importance of sleep for every single aspect of our health and teaming with easy to execute tips on how to get a better night’s sleep, starting TONIGHT. Shawn lays it all out in an easy-to-read and relatable
Victor
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health-wellbeing
As a hustler, I've always been wondering how to sleep faster - get more rested with less time? The answer lies in the quality of sleep. This book did a great job outlining practical action steps one can take to improve sleep quality. A few most overlooked sleep strategies I really like:
1. Get more sunlight during the day. More natural light exposure, more melatonin production, better sleep.
2. Avoid the screen 90 minutes before bedtime. Artificial blue light emitted by electronic devices tricks
Rod
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and very practical, two things I greatly appreciate in my reading. Definitely something I would recommend to others who are struggling to make sleep a priority.
Max
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty helpful and useful. So I know what to do now, now to apply it to my own life. Isn't that the challenge for most people? XD
Angela
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a very informative read with lots of healthy habits you can implement in your life--not just for better sleep but for better health overall. Some of the advice in here is already widely known such as turning off your electronic devices before bed, keeping the temperature cool in your bedroom and keeping a consistent sleeping pattern, even on weekends. Stevenson goes a step further though: he provides you with useful tips so you can adopt these habits and backs up his arguments with ...more
Nishit Salian
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exactly how a nonfiction ought to be written. Thankgod for such a read. The book gives valuable insights on how one can actually "sleep smarter". Very concise and no-nonsense points/strategies make it very readable.
Jacqueline (We Be Book'N)
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic sleep book! I haven't read many other sleep books, but I don't see how others could be better than this one! I learned a LOT of other information, not just the normal sleep tips people talk about. I can't wait to do the 14 day plan in the back and YouTube my results!
Ilya Ivanov
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book with easy recommendations regarding the quality of the sleep. Sleep is so fundamental, yet the quality and quantity of sleep are so much ignored in the modern world. I would definitely recommend at least the easiest bits of advice from this book.
Chris
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! It gave me some good ideas and reconfirmed other theories that I have heard. Very helpful book. I would suggest it to anyone.
Beth Haynes
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an easy read with an excellent balance of scientific explanation and practical recommendations. I also really liked the solution emphasis on diet and life style changes with supplement use relegated to temporary use in cases where these approaches don't work.
A great book for anyone with sleep challenges.

• The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life: Before 8AM
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
  • Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World
  • Start at the End: How to Build Products That Create Change
  • The Total Money Makeover Set : The Total Money Makeover [hardcover] & The Total Money Makeover Workbook [paperback]
  • The Miracle Equation: The Two Decisions That Turn Your Biggest Goals from Possible, to Probable, to Inevitable
  • The Sleep Revolution: Transforming Your Life, One Night at a Time
  • The Oxygen Advantage: The Simple, Scientifically Proven Breathing Techniques for a Healthier, Slimmer, Faster, and Fitter You
  • Game Changers: What Leaders, Innovators, and Mavericks Do to Win at Life
  • Lifespan: Why We Age—and Why We Don't Have To
  • Genius Foods: Become Smarter, Happier, and More Productive While Protecting Your Brain for Life
  • 90 Seconds to a Life You Love: How to Master Your Difficult Feelings to Cultivate Lasting Confidence, Resilience, and Authenticity
  • Ending Aging: The Rejuvenation Breakthroughs That Could Reverse Human Aging in Our Lifetime
“A good laugh and a long sleep are the two best cures for anything.” 4 likes
“If your body is chronically deprived of the regenerative sleep between 10:00 p.m. and 2:00 a.m., then you may still feel fatigued when you wake up in the morning.” 3 likes