Start by marking “Freenet” as Want to Read:
Freenet

Freenet

3.32  ·  Rating details ·  34 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
“A non-stop, furiously paced story.” — Robert Charles Wilson, award-winning author

A nuanced story about artificial intelligence and digital immortality, Freenet plunges readers into the far future, when humans have closed distances in time and space through wormhole tunnels between interplanetary colonies. Consciousness has been digitized and cybersouls uploaded to a nea
Published April 12th 2016 by ECW Press

To ask other readers questions about Freenet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freenet

Bradley
This was a rather interesting novel in several ways, and it had potential to kick some serious butt, but the last portion of the novel, while interesting in its own right, didn't fit with the grand bulk of the first.

Follow me on this one. What starts out as a pretty cool romance between a girl way out of her element and a low-tech boy on his technologically backward and culturally strange desert world then becomes a pretty cool conspiracy in space and an exciting resolution. It was pretty darn o
Lindsay
Apr 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
A handful of good ideas wrapped in an incoherent, poorly executed mess of a book.

Fleeing from an attempted rape by her step-father Simara crash-lands on a desert planet and is rescued by a local boy. There's a romance and then Simara leads her new "husband" Zen into space. After a trumped up legal charge they then crashland (again) on a different planet where they become a news item.

The first third of the book is quite interesting. We have a literal "digital native", cyberlinked to an impressive
Danielle
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, reviewed
Read this review and more on my blog.

I received a free copy of Freenet for my honest opinion.

Freenet is told in the POV of Simara, a young girl who has lived the majority of her life in space; Zen, who lives on the planet Bali and Roni, a news presenter. The entire book is split approximately into 1/3rd for each individuals POV.

Unfortunately I was not able to connect with any of the characters in Freenet. I found the planet Bali, and the culture that it has to be more interesting than the charac
Lisa Boyd
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
3.5 Stars. This intergalactic novel was pretty awesome. I really like d the relationship between Zen and Simara and I was really quite surprised by the last third of the novel.

I would suggest this to folks that enjoy scifi and this idea that we will transition to an alternative digital world or landscape. This was pretty neat and I read it in two sittings. I still am not sure about the ending but it did bring me hours of enjoyment reading the story.

I received an egalley for review from NetGall
Sherry Ramsey
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
*Note: I received an advance copy of this book in return for an honest review.

This fast-paced book pulls the reader through space, time, and the complexities of inner space with its multiple settings, viewpoints, and ideas. I didn't realize when I started it that it was the first in a series, so don't look for everything to be nicely tied up at the end--there's obviously a lot more story to come.

The three viewpoint characters offer very divergent views on life and society, which keeps the book
Paige
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I really enjoyed this book. I am a fan of the sci-fi genre, and this story gave me almost everything I could hope for. The plot was portrayed in a unique way, and the ending was quite a surprise. Very, Phillip K Dick. I liked that the book ended up being something completely different than what I originally perceived it too be. If you're a fan of the genre, I highly recommend this book.

**I won this book from a goodreads givaway
Alanya Lynda
Jan 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
Unfortunately not a book written in my reading style. I found it irritating and confusing. I did make a number of attempts but really could not engage in the story - which other than the book blurb I honestly would not know what it was about.
I received this book as an advance copy via Netgallery for an honest review.
Sherron
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Overall? Not good. Details: Three discrete POVs:

1 Girl: story starts out with VR interaction that brought to mind Feed by M T Anderson. So I was excited and expecting good things. Nyet. Plot is easy to follow; delivery, naive; humor, cheesy (and somewhat unintentional, I think).

2 Boy: plot develops. Girl experiencing stranger in a strange land. Unrealistic social taboos. Maybe this chapter serves to link the first to the last? Otherwise, it's the same as the first.

Neither section was great, bu
Debbie
Feb 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: publisher-arcs
Received from ECWPress in exchange for an completely unbiased review.
Also posted on Silk & Serif

Simara has spent her entire life in space living with a sexually abusive stepfather. Before the death of her mother Simara only experienced her stepfather’s abuse from afar, but now without her mother she becomes the primary target of his wrath. One day the abuse becomes too much and the naive girl who has ever lived in space flees to the Dark Zone; a planet where no digital signal can penetrate
StarlightBook Reviewsxo
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Surf The Freenet This Spring

Hey folks! I know it’s been a while since I last did a book review, but I’m glad to say that I’m back with another fantastic pick I know you’ll enjoy.

Steve Stanton is a Canadian author from Central Ontario who has published the “The Bloodlight Chronicles: Reconciliation” trilogy, and now “Freenet”. The latter will make its debut sometime this April via ECW Press.

This rapid-paced story is about a girl named Simara Ying who crash lands her spaceship on a desert planet c
Margaret Gaudio
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
**I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway

This book was broken into thirds, with each part as the viewpoint of a different character. As I was reading this book, I wondered if this was the first thing written by Steve Stanton. Unfortunately, it isn't. I was hoping to say that eventually he could grow to be a better writer but...

While the story was interesting enough, the way the characters were written was a little flat. You could tell a male was writing this, especially when the book was fr
Nina
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Steve Stanton’s fourth science fiction book Freenet explores humanity in the far future after we have created the “Macpherson Doorway” through folded space-time, and vaulted ourselves with the blink of an eye into a galaxy far far away and 12 million years into the future. No traffic back through the doorway is permitted since a quarantine was placed some dozen years ago to prevent any unwanted DNA from sneaking through from Earth to “New Jerusalem”. The story flows seamlessly from one perspecti ...more
Jaime
Jul 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
I was infuriated with the way the author portrayed women and women who've best sexually assaulted. All of the women were described mainly by their sexual attractiveness and the male characters on their sexual appeal (or lack thereof) to the women. The fact that Simara had been sexually assaulted and then was immediately able to talk openly about to a man and was instantly attracted to him and comfortable running around in her underwear just simply did not sit well with me at all. Especially seei ...more
Cindy
Jun 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
Interesting world building but the characters are too one dimensional and their relationships to one another seemed false.

Can't quite put my finger on it but I didn't like the way female characters in this book were precieved or portrayed by both the author and other characters... almost like someone with no knowlege of women or sexual experiences wrote these female characters...did not enjoy this book. :(
Angela Todorov
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am about a third of the way through and I am really enjoying it!
Sam Dobson
Wendy
Feb 23, 2016
Noel Roach
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great book which plunges deep into the murky depths of the philosophical and metaphysical. Like the proverbial snowball rolling town a hill, Freenet starts out as a straightforward story of Simara Ying fleeing the sexual advances of her stepfather to crash-land on the doorstep of cave-dwelling Zen Valda but soon gathers layer upon layer of varying themes and memes: sexuality, morality, identity, religion, what is reality, what is truth, corporations/the rich/the powerful versus the average cit ...more
Veronica
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
There is something missing in this novel. The SF future is presented well but the characters are flat and the plot is confusing in places and doesn't really make sense.
Witchwood
May 18, 2016
Brenna
Jun 16, 2016
Adam Gobbi
Aug 11, 2016
Melissa Campbell
Apr 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked each part individually, but combined... everything was just a bit too vague and rushed with no satisfying conclusion at all. Meh. Also what does the title have to do with the plot at all, whatsoever? Nothing. That's what.

This book is like a plot outline you describe to someone and they're like wow, that sounds like it would be really good, but then you just type up and print the outline and don't flesh out the story.
Tim Haley
Sep 13, 2016
Silentconsole
Jun 14, 2016
  • My Handy Little Health Journal: Includes tips on fitness, healthy eating, meditation, and worry-free travel
  • Ride the Lightning
  • Hockey Card Stories: True Tales from Your Favorite Players
  • I'm Walking as Straight as I Can: Transcending Disability in Hollywood and Beyond
  • The Art of Medicine: Healing and the Limits of Technology
  • In My Humble Opinion: My So-Called Life
  • Concussion Inc.: The End of Football As We Know It
  • When Variety Was King: Memoir of a TV Pioneer: Featuring Jackie Gleason, Sonny and Cher, Hee Haw, and More
  • Far and Near: On Days Like These
  • Decline of the Animal Kingdom
  • National Treasure: Nicolas Cage
  • Nowhere with You: The East Coast Anthems of Joel Plaskett, The Emergency and Thrush Hermit
  • The Pemmican Eaters
  • Sticking It Out: Chronicles of a Percussionist from Juilliard to the Orchestra Pit
  • Dial "M" for Morna (The Dead Kid Detective Agency, #2)
  • It Doesn't Suck: Showgirls
  • Cut-up Apologetic
  • Malignant Metaphor: Confronting Cancer Myths
Steve Stanton writes science fiction novels about the future of the human brain, artificial intelligence, transhumanist immortality, and the mystery of consciousness. His short stories have been published in sixteen countries in a dozen languages, spanning categories from cyberpunk to space opera. A trilogy of novels, The Bloodlight Chronicles, was published by ECW Press in Toronto from 2010 to 20 ...more