Start by marking “The Stone Thrower” as Want to Read:
The Stone Thrower

The Stone Thrower

The African-American football player Chuck Ealey grew up in a segregated neighborhood of Portsmouth, Ohio. Against all odds, he became an incredible quarterback. But despite his unbeaten record in high school and university, he would never play professional football in the United States.

Chuck Ealey grew up poor in a racially segregated community that was divided from the r
Published May 1st 2016 by Groundwood Books

To ask other readers questions about The Stone Thrower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stone Thrower

AleJandra
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 Una y otra vez y otra vez STARS

"At school and at football practice, Chuck did the same thing. When he learned new things and when he had to do the same thing over and over, he thought about standing by the railroad tracks, throwing stones again and again until de go it.'

El fin de semana fui a la feria del libro The Word on the Street. Como saben yo no leo libros en físico así que me la pase todo el tiempo en el área infantil buscando libros para mi hija, le compramos 6 en total y nos que
Soraya Laboy
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sweet picture book about one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time who never played in the NFL.
Niki Marion
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Wish this was a better adaptation of the author's book for adults, but sadly, it fell short, kind of literally. I did not know the last spread was going to lead into the copyright page--it felt very abrupt with the pace of the narrative throughout the book.

Matt James's illustrations use paneling and present the visual passage of time innovatively but not all spreads impressed me.
Jen
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I was a kid, the name Chuck Ealey made you think of astounding passes on the football field. But before he was a Canadian Football League star, he was a black boy growing up in the segregated US. His determination and that of his hard-working mother ensured that he not only got to be an amazing and undefeated quarterback in high school, but also got a college education before a career as a football star in Canada.

This is an excellent book about children dealing with racism and self-determin
Jessie
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sports
The picture book is about Ealey as a child; the book ends with a key high school game. The endnotes mention his college and pro careers.

Until we see him on the high school team, Ealey is portrayed as pretty isolated. He's not with other kids; the book talks about him not being able to go to the pool on the other side of the train tracks, about his mom working long hours, about him practicing throwing on his own.

Some of the illustrations are gorgeous; they're in acrylic, and the color and thickne
Lucile Barker
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
57. The Stone Thrower by Jael Ealey Richardson, illustrations by Matt James.
I was not aware that this was a children’s book when I ordered it, and a picture book at that. I thought it was a sports biography of Chuck Ealey, who played for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in the 1970s and led them to a Gray Victory in his first season. The illustrations were colourful but fairly child-like. For the right age group, this would be a good anti-racism inspirational story.
Kimberly
It's mind-boggling that someone so talented (undefeated in college football!) was not allowed to play in the NFL because he was Black. Of course, now we have a player who has essentially been blacklisted by the NFL for peacefully protesting the treatment of African Americans by the police...so how much has really changed?
Hye Won
This is a life story of the African-American boy, Chuck. This story is helpful to tell children how African-American people got treated unequally in the past and to explain what racism is. It shows how much people have lost their opportunities to live such better lives because of the unequal treatment and segregation in the past.
Lynn  Davidson
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the picture book version of the author's story about her father who grew up poor and worked hard to get out of that life through playing football. Wonderful story with great illustrations.
Ann Tuennerman
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Nice read aloud! I was not familiar with Chuck Ealey the great football player.
Beth Vredenburg
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
A sweet bio picture book about Chuck Ealey, written by his daughter Jael. Chuck was a great quarter back, winning every high school and college game he played. A nice bio and a great addition to any library.
Barbara
Written by the daughter of quarterback Chuck Ealey, this picture book tells how one boy overcame the odds against him in order to play football in college and professionally. Ealey grew up in a segregated neighborhood in Portsmouth, Ohio, where life was hard. Sometimes he didn't have enough to eat, and wondered how he could ever accomplish his mother's dreams of him leaving the place far behind him. Not only did he study hard, but he practiced throwing a stone at a letter on a passing train. Ove ...more
Venus
Jun 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Review originally posted on Children's Atheneum

An inspirational story by Chuck Ealey's daughter, this is the story of rising above circumstances and one young man's dedication in the face of many obstacles. I absolutely love picture book biographies (and biographies in general) because they give us stories of people who don't show up in the normal school curriculum. For an aspiring football player, the sports-obsessed kid, and the African-American child, Chuck Ealey can serve as an important rol
Crystal
This was especially interesting book to me because for whatever reason, I didn't realize there was a Canadian football league until my most recent trip to Canada. I found myself in a restaurant with a game on and I couldn't place the teams though it looked like an NFL game.

Here is a story of a fabulous football player who is excluded from quarterbacking in the NFL simply by the color of his skin. It's told by the daughter of the quarterback Chuck Ealey.

This is a piece of history that I think w
Matthew
I don't know the popular adult biography that inspired this adaptation, but this was an interesting story. It reveals the life of a little known football player for many, primarily because his professional career happened in Canada. Still, his is a story of persistence and overcoming obstacles, the sort of story that will be both inspiring and educational to young readers. It did feel like an odd way to end the book though. Thankfully, the end notes did the job that the story failed to. Maybe th ...more
Monique
I'm not a huge football fan but I really enjoyed this story of Chuck Ealey, written by his daughter Jael Ealey Richardson. It is a wonderful story to share with children about perseverance and work ethic, especially when you have a dream of goal that you want to strive for. Matt James' terrific illustrations compliment the story.
Maggie Mattmiller
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great story of determination and perseverance. GORGEOUS illustrations. Beautiful author's note (love that the author is the daughter of the boy/man the story is about.)

Definitely one to add to my library. (And yours!)
Edward Sullivan
The story of Ohio-born Chuck Early who, despite his outstanding record as a high school and college quarterback, is rejected by racist NFL and instead plays for the Canadian Football League where he is named a Most Valuable Player.
Yoo Kyung Sung
Aug 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Three themes in a book, segregation and poverty/ NFL football/ Child's resilience. Chuck's being firm and found out a way to develop his own residence through throwing a rock to the goal eventually helped him to be a successful player.
Karen Arendt
An excellent sport story of a person who proved to the world that he can succeed over poverty, naysayers, and the color of his skin.
Stacy Ford
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This biography tells the story of Chuck Ealey, one of the first collegiate African-American quarterbacks.
Vicki
This book will resonate with whole classes of kids - it's a super engaging story with a good amount of text on each page, and I love the illustrations.
Jennifer Rummel
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great picture book about determination and trying hard. Perfect for 2016's summer reading
Nikki
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I appreciate how the author talks about segregation because it was just enough to encourage questions from my daughter. The story is great too!
Pamela Powell
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-nonfiction
The true story of an African American football player from the wrong side of the tracks in the 1950's and his determination to be the best.
Jason
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Not too many picture books about football and civil rights out there. This could fill a niche for sure.
Courtenay
Feb 14, 2017
Amy  Korver
Oct 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jael Richardson has an MFA in Creative Writing from the University of Guelph. Her first book, The Stone Thrower: A Daughter’s Lesson, a Father’s Life, came out in 2012 and was the subject of a TSN documentary. In 2013, the book received a CBC Bookie Award. Richardson received a My People Award that same year, recognizing her as a new and up-and-coming writer.

Excerpts from her first play my upside