Start by marking “Victory Gardens for Bees: A DIY Guide to Saving the Bees” as Want to Read:
Victory Gardens for Bees: A DIY Guide to Saving the Bees

Victory Gardens for Bees: A DIY Guide to Saving the Bees

Who knew modern civilization may be brought down, not by plagues or war, but by bees? Or, more correctly, by no bees? This book investigates the growing problem of bee mortality and offers practical measures we can all take to help. In ecological terms, bees play a critical role in the survival of many plant communities and the continuation of life on this planet. No polli ...more
Published April 28th 2016 by Douglas McIntyre

To ask other readers questions about Victory Gardens for Bees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Victory Gardens for Bees

Start your review of Victory Gardens for Bees: A DIY Guide to Saving the Bees
Erika
Apr 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
LOVE this book. So much I didn’t know about bees but now I want learn more. Will use this book to help me design my bee garden as well as a bee-tea garden on my patio. Love the fact that it focusses a lot on Canadian plants and bees, not just American ones.
Megan Green
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was very informative and filled with beautiful photography. It really got me excited for new additions to my garden next year and also some new perspectives on beekeeping. It does a good job of explaining the science behind our need for bees, which is something I feel very strongly about. I thought the author did a great job of presenting problems and solutions and I LOVE the idea of a Victory Garden type movement to save the bees!
Story
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Everything you need to plan a beautiful garden to help native and honeybees (and other beneficial insects) thrive.
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
1. I love bees and the environment and doing my best to help save it (view spoiler).

2. I love to garden.
Esther Marie
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Victory Garden for Bees brings the reader back from the world of animal husbandry to the world of plants and pollinators. To start with, what is a victory garden? Sometimes known as a war garden, victory gardens were popularized during World War I and World War II as a form of patriotism that civilians could use to support the war effort. By having citizens produce more food at home, there was less pressure on a country’s public food supply and food needs. Coopting this concept for a pollinator ...more
Megan W
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bees, plants
As a 7th year beekeeper who works internationally with beekeepers and honey I LOVE THIS BOOK. I'm not sure how "bees are dying" equated to "be a beekeeper", it should be "be a gardener" Lori Weidenhammer's book is a great gateway into the land of plants for those who want to do something to help not only honeybees (Apis melifera), one species of the 20,000 species of bees in the world, but also native bees.

In North America, we have 3,000-5,000 native and non-native bees that also wonderful poll
Maggie
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Will purchase as reference book for my home gardening books so I can learn about different types of bees and their parts in our ecosystem and for reference to help choose which flowers (as well as herbs, wildflowers, shrubs, etc) to plant. Informative and enjoyable.
Judy
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this book. I really liked the section on companion planting with bee-friendly plants. This is especially important as I will soon have two gardens to work on in 2018. This is a must-have book and is on my wish-list.
Deb (Bee) March
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent garden planning and great education on bees themselves. I had no idea there were so many varieties.
Trish
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great book about planting flowers for bees!
Ron Bruce
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really loved this book. I think I'll be taking even more interest in bees and how they impact my own life. ...more
Deb
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another great book full of great information. Liked how the chapters were laid out.
Kelly
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who's alive
Loved it.
It gave me a guide on what to plant for my little bee friends.
Actually I loved it so much, I bought it.
My usual bookstore is the library
Tracy
Karyn
Apr 26, 2019
Ashley Wold
Jun 27, 2017

• Orientation (Marvel: Avengers Assembly #1)
  • The Vanished (Shuri: A Black Panther Novel #2)
  • Finish: Give Yourself the Gift of Done
  • Getting a Coding Job For Dummies
  • Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, #2)
  • Silent Spring
  • 2 Fuzzy, 2 Furious (The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, #2)
  • Superman Smashes the Klan
  • Small Wonder
  • The Rumor
  • My Salinger Year
  • Nobody Will Tell You This But Me: A True (as Told to Me) Story
  • Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes
  • Communication Skills for Dummies
  • A Cuban Girl's Guide to Tea and Tomorrow
  • Blades of Freedom: a tale of Haiti, Napoleon, and the Louisiana Purchase (Nathan Hale’s Hazardous Tales, #10)
  • Homegrown Berries: Successfully Grow Your Own Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, and More
  • Unspeakable (Tracers, #2)

News & Interviews