Start by marking “Becoming Your Own Therapist: An Introduction to the Buddhist Way of Thought; And, Make Your Mind an Ocean: Aspects of Buddhist Psychology” as Want to Read:

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  162 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
First work originally published: 1998; 2nd work originally published: 1999; combined edition originally published: 2003.
Published January 1st 2010 by Lama Yeshe Wisdom Archive (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Becoming Your Own Therapist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming Your Own Therapist

Massinissa IRMECHE
"To purify your mind, you don’t have to believe in something special up there– God, or Buddha. Don’t worry about that.When you truly realize the up and down nature of your everyday life, the characteristic nature of your own mental attitude, you’ll automatically want to implement a solution."

I really like Buddhism.
Sandy
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This volume is combined with Make Your Mind an Ocean. Edited from Lama's talks in Melbourne, Australia, in 1979, this is another lesson in analytical (checking) meditation and knowing your own mind. Highly recommended.
Christine
Mar 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mindfulness isn't just for silent meditation; it is really for activity. You just always have to be asking your mind what you are really doing and why.
Alan
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great deep dive on the mind

I loved this book because it totally covered the introductory idea of mind. I like its combination of lecture and q and a. The one dislike I had was it was pretty repetitive. Finally, I also got the audible version of this book and that really was wonderful to listen to:
Kenny Brouwers
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book consists of a few talks by Lama Yeshe and related Q&A sessions. It's a small book, but quite comprehensive and just what I needed to deepen my spiritual and scientific understanding of Buddhism at this point.
Melanie
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, buddhist
After I read Dreaming Me by Jan Willis, I picked this up when I saw it at the used bookstore because Lama Yeshe was one of Jan's teachers.

"Lord Buddha himself said...'I have taught many methods because there are many different individuals. Before you embrace any of them, use your wisdom to check that they fit your psychological make-up, your own mind. If my methods seem to make sense and work for you, by all means adopt them. But if you don't relate to them, even though they might sound wonderfu
John
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dharmha
Very good despite being a little seventies specific , things have changed but the point remains the same
San
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Insightful, inspiring, challenging...
Nico
Aaaawwwww, Lama make my mind happy.
Dolkar
Juan Pablo
Mar 17, 2014
Derek Baldwin
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Several talks, including the Q&A sessions, dating from the 1970s. There's some great stuff here, though also some material on rebirth, from the Tibetan perspective, that I have much difficulty with. Continually Lama Yeshe returns to the theme of the mind as the totality of our experience though, as he puts it, interaction with external energies, even those arising in some other universe, could become manifest there. Perhaps we react sometimes inexplicably because of some deeply buried impuls ...more
Michael Borshuk
Dec 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Mindfulness with Breathing: A Manual for Serious Beginners
  • One City: A Declaration of Interdependence
  • Work as a Spiritual Practice: A Practical Buddhist Approach to Inner Growth and Satisfaction on the Job
  • Essential Buddhism: A Complete Guide to Beliefs and Practices
  • Everything's an Argument
  • Hooked!: Buddhist Writings on Greed, Desire, and the Urge to Consume
  • Present Moment Wonderful Moment: Mindfulness Verses for Daily Living
  • The Bible of Karate: Bubishi
Lama Thubten Yeshe was a monastic teacher of Tibetan Buddhism most closely associated with the Gelug school of the Dalai Lamas. He established the Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition (FPMT), and was succeeded in leadership of that organization by his heart-disciple Lama Thubten Zopa in 1984.
More about Lama Thubten Yeshe...

“When you’re among peaceful, generous, happy people, you’re inclined to feel happy and peaceful yourself. When you’re among angry, aggressive people, you tend to become like them. The human mind is like a mirror. A mirror does not discriminate but simply reflects whatever’s before it, no matter whether it’s horrible or wonderful.” 4 likes