Start by marking “Static” as Want to Read:
Static

Read Book

Static

3.38  ·  Rating details ·  64 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
When Curtis Brooks starts receiving phone calls from his older brother Wilt, who’s been dead a week, he’s sure it’s to help him find evidence that will lead to a murderer’s arrest. But Wilt claims he wasn’t murdered; his calling, meant to help him adjust, is standard protocol for newly deceased at the Aftermart—a kind of inescapable, ever-expanding Walmart filled with disc ...more
Published April 12th 2016 by Automatic Publishing

Carrie
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Shortly after his brother's death from a car accident Curtis Brooks begins to receive phone calls from his brother. Wilt has been trapped in a place called the Aftermart, a sort of inescapable giant Wal-Mart filled with discontinued products. He's been going through afterlife therapy and calls his younger still living brother trying to adjust to his afterlife.

Curtis is sure that Wilt is calling to give him clues to lead them to Wilt's murdered, only Wilt insists that it was only an accident. The
Zoe Mark
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
As a fan of this author, I was really looking forward to this book. As soon as it came, it was at the top of my to-read pile. When I started it, it was not what I expected (it didn't help that I did not even read the back cover before delving in), it is a paranormal mystery which has a really original take on help from beyond the grave. Curtis is trying to figure out why his brother died and he does so with a little help from him. He also has many coming of age moments, some which make this appr ...more
Kristie White
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed #Static. Getting phone calls from a dead relative may sound a little creepy, but the back and forth between the brothers is great, especially when they connect. The "gangster" talk by Dr. M. was amusing, and relatable as I remember counselors from high school trying to connect with their students and just sounding like idiots. It's a great story, kept my attention so that I hated to put it down and go back to reality. Thanks, Eric!!
Holly Cohen
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A suspenseful murder mystery and touching coming of age story, STATIC is funny, quirky, and wonderful. It has a distinctive cast of characters, layers of subtext, and elements of magical realism. Laster's writing, rich in irony, had me laughing out loud. Love, rivalry, friendship, family, and death are just a few of the themes explored, and never with a heavy hand. This is a fun and delightful read.
Nicole Hadenfeldt
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, mystery, first-reads
Movies, Shows,
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
***I received a free copy for an honest review***

Note: This review contains NO spoilers

Hmmm... This was definitely an interesting read. #Static definitely reads as a mystery, paranormal, and coming-of-age novel...all wrapped in one story. I mean...REALLY! How would anyone react when receiving a phone call from a dead loved one!?! Eric Laster's character development and world building took me into Curtis's life as he maneuvered through his life at home, at school, and the investigation into his b
Jessica Bronder
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shortly after Curtis Brooks’ brother, Wilt died in a car accident, he starts receiving phone calls from Wilt. It seems the afterlife is the person being stuck in a Wal-Mart like store called the Aftermart that is stocked full of discontinues products. Part of Wilt’s afterlife therapy is to call Curtis where he tries to tell Curtis that his death was an accident and to try to help him move on. But when a detective says that Wilt’s death was a homicide Curtis goes on the hunt for Wilt’s killer.

Th
Christina
May 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
When Curtis starts receiving phone calls from his dead brother Wilt, he's sure there must be more to his death than he was initially told. Curtis begins an adventure to find out what really happened, whilst trying to navigate the world of girls, work, illegal dog fighting and family drama.

I wasn't a fan of this book. That's not to say it was a bad book, it just didn't entertain me in any way. I wasn't connected to any of the characters, Curtis especially, which is disappointing as he was our pr
Alissa F.
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kris
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sent-for-review
Thanks to Netgalley I received a review copy of this book.

This book started out very interesting, and I thought I was going to absolutely love it. Sadly, it went downhill very quickly. I thought it was completely far fetched and barely made sense.
I thought the writing style was extremely wordy, and the story just dragged for me. I couldn't relate to the main character in any aspect. I felt like he was slightly or extremely devoid of emotions. Maybe, he was just emotionally unattached. Either
Hristina
I enjoyed this book quite a lot. There were parts that surprisingly made me giggle, but most of the time, I was so consumed by the plot, I couldn't put it down. It took me quite some time to process what I read and sit down and write these thoughts down.
Paranormal mysteries that make me obsess like this one did are incredibly rare. I genuinely didn't notice that I had stayed up till three am to finish this book, swiping page by page as if there's no tomorrow.
Mr. Laster's writing is stellar, fres
Linda
Apr 04, 2016 marked it as to-read
I really enjoyed this book. The characters were well thought out and you were hooked into the story by the 2nd or 3rd chapter. The writing flowed in a way that helped you suspend the normal world for one where it seemed normal for a boy to be receiving calls from his recently deceased brother while he tries to solve the mystery surrounding his death.
This wasn't my regular type of book to read, but it just shows that you need to branch out every now and then and try other types of books.
Sam Stein
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was given an ARC for honest review. i have to say it is one of the best books I have read in a long time. Parts of it made me laugh and others made me tear up. The way Eric showed his characters evolve through grief really struck a cord with me. Also, it made me happy to know that I am not the only person who uses the term, "Doucheface."
Carey Tews
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
love the book. I couldn't put it down. I identify with the mother's neediness and bat-shit, which rather scares me, and I think Curtis and Walt are the best-written teenage boys I've read since Holden Caulfield.

All of the characters are written with depth and are incredibly likable, even the shrink, who reminds me of David Brent in The Office.
Beth
Interesting idea for a story but poorly executed. The way the main character speaks felt more like how an adult thinks teenagers speak and not what is rooted in reality. It was irritating at best and patronizing at worst.
Bobdabiulder
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good! It was quick, only a few hours of time to read, but I only found one typo and it was well written
Mike Gurney
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Mike by: Frank Beddor
Shelves: supernatural, mystery
Review to follow soon...
Katie
Oct 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Rant review time. I don't swear so bear with me when I say "hecking" like 800 times. This was literally the worst book that I have ever read. Let's talk characters:
-The mother: her entire character profile is her constant complaining, addiction to nicotine, and blaming every single problem on her divorce.
-The father: cliche alcoholic, in a polygamous relationship, has no ties to the family but inexplicably cares about the family at convenient times for the plot
-Wilt: (also what the heck with th
The Basic Bookworm
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
The full review is available on The Basic Bookworm

#Static by Eric Laster is a young adult novel that contains mystery, fantasy and paranormal themes. I was drawn to this library book because of the blurb – I mean, a guy trying to solve the mystery of who killed his brother, while falling for his brother’s ex? Yeah, that’s interesting. Overall, I thought that the book was enjoyable, if a little dull.

A week after Wilt’s death, Curtis begins to receive calls from him and assumes that this is a sign
Megan (Under the Book Cover)
Review also posted at: http://underthebookcover.blogspot.com...

3.5/5

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for review!

Static was a very different read for me. It starts off with Curtis getting a phone call from his dead brother, Wilt, and doesn't stop. Wilt is calling from a place called Aftermart, which he describes as a Walmart for the dead filled with old or discontinued products. He claims that him contacting Curt is part of his therapy, but as the phone
Kristian Wilson
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviews
Ryley (Ryley Reads)
Thanks so much to Net Galley for sending me an eARC of this book for an honest review. As always, all opinions are my own!

This book was a riot, I really enjoyed it!

Basically, the story follows Curtis, who starts to get these weird phone calls from his dead brother, Wilt. Apparently he's in some sort of afterlife Walmart, Aftermart, where he has to see a therapist and as part of that therapy, talked to those he left behind. Upon getting these phone calls, Curtis decides that this is Wilt's way o
Erin
See more reviews like this first on my blog

“It was their having lived reminded me how everything bad, good, and otherwise passes. The nonstop, impersonal shove of time – not the particulars of anybody’s life.”

When Curtis’s brother dies in a car crash, but the police think he was murdered. Yet they don’t have any suspects, or any idea why he would be a target. Making Curtis start his own investigation to find out what happened, and why his brother was even on that street at night anyway.
About a w
Rubysbooks
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it
*Disclaimer: I received an e-ARC of this book from Netgalley and Automatic Publishing in exchange for an honest review. This does not influence my opinion or my rating of this book in any way.

As soon as I saw the description on Netgalley I was intrigued, because the theme of a dead person being able to call a loved one is one that I haven't read much about. I was also a bit confused by the genre, because surely a book that talks about receiving phone calls from the dead has a little bit of fanta
Cindy McBride
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
When I first began reading this book, I was pleasantly surprised. The concept, though not necessarily unique, was presented from a slightly different perspective than the rest of its ilk, i.e., a high school Sophomore boy named Curtis. When Curtis' older brother, high school Senior Wilt, died from a car crash as a result of an unsuccessful argument with a light pole, Curtis, his single Mom, and his brother's hottie (ex-)girlfriend Suzy began the mourning process... each in their own way. Then, s ...more
Dejah
Jun 08, 2016 added it
Shelves: dnf, 2016-release
This book had such great potential. Unfortunately the plot wasn’t executed well at all. From the very first chapter it was clear that this story wasn’t going to be like any others. I took that to mean something good.

The biggest let down was the characters. They were boring and had no depth. For people who are going through the loss of a loved one, no one seems to feel anything. Curtis didn’t seemed surprised or shocked at all that his brother, who died by the way, is calling from some weird afte
Jessi
Apr 06, 2016 rated it liked it

This heartfelt novel deals with a lot of serious and dark themes in a way that is poignant while retaining the darkish sense of humor of the protagonist. Curtis's main problem in the story is, on the surface, dealing with his brother's calls from a strange sort of after life that seem to be leading Curtis to find out how his brother passed away. It looks like murder at the hands of some seriously dangerous people involved in some dark and seedy activities.

The book engages readers by looking into
Genevieve
May 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Thank you NetGalley for providing me the opportunity to read this book.

Static is about this boy named Cutis Brooks, who'd been dealing with his brother's recent death, until one day when he gets a call from him.

This book wasn't bad, but it wasn't the greatest either. I think I'm pretty neutral about it.

I liked the writing for the most part. It had quite a few quotable moments, and I enjoyed them a lot whenever they came.

The only part I couldn't get over was how horny Curtis Brooks always got
Courtney
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: teens, netgalley
I think this book was just not really for me. It was a clever idea, the phone calls from the dead brother, but it didn't play out for me. It was nice that Curtis and Wilt had a chance to form a relationship in death that was missing in life. The phone calls just messed up their mom and didn't do great things for their dad either. It is hard to move on from losing your loved one when they keep calling and not letting you let go. The phone calls were for the dead to transition into another existen ...more
Cristina
May 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
I received an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Curtis Brooks lost his brother, Wilt, in a road accident about one week ago. What he wasn't expecting was starting receiving phone calls from Wilt. Curtis tries to figure out the reason what that is happening. Meanwhile, he uses the conversations he has with Wilt to uncover some clues about Wilt's murderer. Even though, Wilt insists that he wasn't murdered. As there the clues are uncover, Curtis discovers some aspects of Wilt's rec
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please change to correct cover of my forthcoming book 3 22 Oct 11, 2015 01:05AM
  • Flying Lessons & Other Stories
  • Dallas Lalone: In Our Words
  • Invasion
  • Exploits of a Reluctant (But Extremely Goodlooking) Hero
  • Gabby Duran and the Unsittables
  • The Haunting of Emily Stone
  • The Wanderers
  • So Not Okay: An Honest Look at Bullying from the Bystander (Mean Girl Makeover)
  • Beethoven's Symphonies: An Artistic Vision
  • Shutter
  • The Americans
  • Wicked Luck (Wicked Luck, #1)
  • Occupied Earth: Stories of Aliens, Resistance and Survival at all Costs
  • Great Cases of Sherlock Holmes (Franklin Library of Mystery Masterpieces)
  • Madigan Mine
  • Katie Friedman Gives Up Texting! And Lives to Tell About It. (A Charlie Joe Jackson Spinoff)
  • How to be a Ghost (Libby Grace Mystery #1)
  • Technically Dead
A New Yorker by birth, Eric Laster lives in Los Angeles. After a successful stint as a ghostwriter, Eric re-launched under his own name with the middle-grade novel Welfy Q. Deederhoth: Meat Purveyor, World Savior. Whenever he’s not scribing, Eric records punk rock and presses it to vinyl.

"Original and unfailingly entertaining from first page to last, Static by Eric Laster is deftly crafted and hig